BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby County vs Blackburn Rovers Sunday 04/08 4pm kick off (Live on Sky)

I thought that was a good display overall. Bossed the majority of the game and a couple of decent new players. Too early to call on some players, but Kane had a 10 minute patch that had me very concerned. The players seemed to want it and we looked very confident on the ball.

Well done Bowyer and team, performance to be pleased with.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judge wasn't brilliant for me, lost the ball far too often.

Kane, Lowe and Marrow were awful. Rhodes might as well have taken a seat and watched, Best wasn't much better until the goal.

I'm just grateful to Clough for taking mercy on us and subbing Will Hughes because I didn't think we even looked like scoring until he went off.

The proverbial game of two halves that, the first before Rochina's injury when we looked fluod and dominated play imo.

And the second whereby we lost momentum after the injury, were rocked back by Marrow's moment of madness and thereafter lacked wit and ingenuity and never really looked like scoring until the equaliser .

Deserved a point overall but more convinced than ever Rochina is key.

What the hell was Marrow thinking?

We don't play a pressing game drog, just drop in and get behind the ball and squeeze in the last third.

Lowe and Marrow were both terrible in possessiin but I can never fault their workrate. The problem is that Marrow and especially Lowe are caught wrong side of their opposing numbers far too often. A quick couple of passes and they're chasing the game, it's at those times that you notice Lowe's defensive work. The problem is that it's all fire fighting by then rather than fire prevention.

I only saw the two of them playing against Rochdale but I was deeply un-impressed. Off the ball they were chasing shadows and never got close to their opponents, they were by-passed much too easily. On the ball they were embarrassing, the ball was as much likely to go to an opponent or out of play than to a Rovers player. As for playing a penetrating pass, you must be joking, they never got their heads up to see one.

Right. I've been Jason lowe's biggest critic and having heard similar things about Marrow, I picked both out in particular.

Lowe and Marrow played well in the first half with the exception of Marrows awful mistake, their play was good. They pressed the first touch and took responsibility for the ball. When Rochina went off they didn't have the outlet to play and granted they looked poorer in the 2nd half. There was a particuar 5 min spell in which Lowe reverted to his old self but was good to see him getting a couple of shot off today tried to show himself as the box to box player we've been promised he is.

Judge had a good game, some good deliveries some not so good but his first touch was particularly excellent and give their fullback plenty to think about.

I've also been Scott Danns BIGGEST critic, hands down BUT credit where credit is due... He and Hanley were absolutely immaculate today, flawless. Hats off.

Spurr got forward well, very steady, strong in the tackle ad a good throw which could be useful.

Last year there were too many occasions where we trying to play the right way but didn't have the personnel and then had no plan B... Today once Rochina went off injured and Best came on it gave us a different Idea and i think thats something we can very much take heart from. Sometimes you're going to need to be direct and work the centre halves and we did that well today.

There was a willingness to take responsibilty for the ball today and a lack off fear which has haunted for too long. it was very refreshing to see.

2 special mentions to Gary Bowyer. He's obviously talked to Grant Hanley and explained the difference in where Jones is now and where he is now. Hanley on numerous occasions won the ball, played into midfield and set up play, very similar to the way Jones did. The other mention was seeing King not having the beating of his man and replacing him for Taylor, who after his 3rd attempt got beyond his man for a great delivery for Best. GOOD MANAGEMENT.

I think we can be proud of the whole team today, hopefully Rochina won't be out for too long as at times he looked unplayable. I still maintain he could be the difference in gaining a playoff spot.

Very pleased with the lads today, more pleased than I have been for some time, I've pessimistic all summer but that really did lift my spirits. From the way I'm talking you'd think we'd have won but we deserved too and the character from the boys was totally different from what I've seen from the past 2 years. We need to put these chances away, we have the strikers for it and if we do... We could be in for a much better season.

Well done Gary Bowyer and the players.

I wish we had a centre half like ..Craig Short !

We lose to many headers , also midfield is poor maybe the Hull players will make a difference ?

Judge works hard and has talent maybe a little on the small side but a vast improvement on some of last seasons nonentities ...

Encouraged by that display, so much better than watching the over paid, over hyped and over rated players last season.

Spurr and Judge particularly stood out, Best made an impact when he came on as well. Just a shame about Rochina's injury.

Gary Bowyer's blue and white army.

I still think Best is a waste of space, we'll soon see who's right.

if he continues to score goals like that and show the same commitment for the rest of the season as he did today. I hope he remains a waste of space. I thought he had a good game myself.

Well deserved point from Rovers

Overall the new signings were good ... Well done GB ..

SPURR:We Finally have a Solid Left Back..He was outstanding... He's was up and down and set Best up with a peach ...SOLID..

JUDGE: was a busy body and very impressive ..new Dunny with Energy... Very Good signing and well done to GB for signing him...

Marrow :Apart from a moment of madness he had a steady holding role ... Would have Him ahead of Flat Fleet Lowe ...gives protection to back line

Taylor .. Great Assist for the goal and was full of energy ...Like him ... How King was picked ahead of this guy only GB knows ...

Cairney :Looks impresive and gave a little taster of things to come ......Bring on the main Meal..

Judge could be the new Dunn.

Bit harsh, that.

Looks like he might be alright.

As for Best, very good finish but I maintain that he's awful with an even worse attitude.

Delighted with the come back, last season this would have probably ended up 3-0. We kept going which is a major positive but I'd be rather aggrieved if I was a derby fan as they went deeper and deeper almost asking for the goal to happen. I was very happy with Spurr, Hanley (with his Samba esq runs) and the set pieces today.

Marrow & Lowe had shockers, we now have two runners in central midfield who would put aside 20% of their salary to not have possession of the ball in the game. Kane had a mare, I saw enough in his performances last year to think this game was a blip (hopefully)! I wouldn't be writing off Rhodes just yet, he did exactly what he did in 90% games last season .. Not much but had a header cleared off the line and should have had a penalty which I'm confident he would have bagged. Thought he and Best linked up quite well in the last 30 mins which is a bonus.

Last point, is anybody else a tad concerned with Kean on crosses? Flapped at a couple today and very nearly conceded a goal from one, can't be questioned on shot stopping but crosses have me slightly concerned.

Most rovers fans should take that. At least we did what I hoped for pre-kickoff, we met them in midfield and were unusually positive. Credit to Bowyer for that. The weaknesses in the team, and I won't go over them again as pretty much everyone has pointed them out, might, or should I say will, expose themselves against better teams than Derby, who in my opinion lacked any sort of quality apart from Hughes.

So, decent performance today, but improvements in team selection need to be made.

OK then. Lowe had a poor game but then he never had a chance. He had been pre judged by the majority before he crossed the line and he would have had to play like Messi before he would have got a favourable comment.

Overall I was happy with the general standard of play of the team today.

Can't believe how much stick Lowe is getting. I actually thought he had a good game.

He provided good cover for the back 4 which enabled the likes of Judge and Rochina to do their stuff. He is not the best passer of the ball but he didn't give it away as much as some of the other players and when he did he won it back.

Overall it was a good team performance and in my opinion Lowe was key to that with his energy in midfield.

I agree that Marrow and Lowe are very similar but the defence looked solid and I put that down to the cover that the midfield were providing. Ideally I would like either Lowe or Marrow to play with Cairney who looks like he is a decent passer of the ball.

Judge was superb, Best got better as the game went on and Spurr reminded me of Warnock.

Most important thing is that we played like a team and we looked organised for the first time in about 2 years.

OK then. Lowe had a poor game but then he never had a chance. He had been pre judged by the majority before he crossed the line and he would have had to play like Messi before he would have got a favourable comment.

Overall I was happy with the general standard of play of the team today.

It's not Lowe's first season, if it was I think you might have a point on that. Fans have seen plenty of him and know what he is about and what his strengths and many weaknesses are.

The standard of play was enough to get a point, giving away possession far too easily will get you killed against some of the better sides who can capitalise on it. If Rovers are serious about promotion this season you need to find some consistency and cut out the mistakes.

Best is getting plenty of love, but if he had missed that goal then most fans wouldn't have much positive to say about him. Before he is proclaimed as our savior on the pitch this season let's see if he can score more than 10 goals this season, which should be his target considering he has never done it before.

It's not Lowe's first season, if it was I think you might have a point on that. Fans have seen plenty of him and know what he is about and what his strengths and many weaknesses are.

The standard of play was enough to get a point, giving away possession far too easily will get you killed against some of the better side who can capitalise on it. If Rovers are serious about promotion this season you need to find some consistency and cut out the mistakes.

Do you not think that Lowe was pre judged then? Because I certainly do. What does it matter how often he has been seen before? That's what pre judging is all about.

Do you go and watch him often?

I was reasonably encouraged by that performance, I have no idea who most of the players are but they showed a bit of commitment and played the better football.

Before Rochina went off we were by far the better team, the injury disrupted our play and the penalty (fully justified) gave them a lift. But we were always in the game and fully deserved the equaliser which was well taken by Best.

All in all not a bad start and there is something to build on for the long road ahead, it won't be smooth and there is some tough opposition, but I am hopeful it will be a better season than last.

Archived