BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby County vs Blackburn Rovers Sunday 04/08 4pm kick off (Live on Sky)

I think the most important thing to come out of today was that the team looked well-disciplined and physically fit. I thought Best on for Rochina was a bad move, and that opinion was justified until Taylor & Cairney came on to inject some creativity into midfield. As stated, Lowe & Marrow did an industrious job guarding the back four, until Rochina was injured, and the two of them were expected to press forward. That's when the wheels came off.

Best took his goal well and definitely improved on his first-half performance where he got booked and did little else. It would be valuable to have someone else apart from Rhodes to rely on for the goals, but the jury's still out on the guy. He's never been prolific and he's always one twinge away from a spell on the sidelines. Rhodes was practically anonymous besides his header in the first half and a couple of penalty shouts in the second.

Don't think we can blame Best much for his stint in the first half.. without Rochina we looked utterly lost and all over the place, a midfield 4 with King on the wing, Lowe and Marrow in the center (neither pushed forward from def mid in the period up to half time) and Judge who isn't a winger also out wide.. was never ever going to work.

One thing that was noticeable was Rhodes kept making the runs and got into good positions, we just didn't pass to him.. we really do not play to his strengths.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big improvements need to come from Todd Kane, Jason Lowe, Marrow and Josh King, but this Rovers group played together, went behind together, and came back together.

Well done to team GB and the players.

What's this? There are definately some positive overtones there. You been on something?

Derby at Pride Park are one of the toughest teams to play. They are a bit like Fulham of the championship; exceptional at home but awful away.

Makes todays performance and last minute equaliser even more impressive.

McLean would be good and would certainly make us a very good team. Wouldn't be surprised if we snapped up bannan late on in the window either tbh.

Don't profess to know much about either of them Rovers11 but if they fit the bill, that's good enough for me.

I just think we sorely lack creativity in the team. More so following Rochina's injury.

For the record, I also think everyone should get off Jason Lowe's back. Give the bloody lad a break. Again IMO, given the right role in the right team, he could be a world beater for us, he's Rovers through and through, is not in England under 21's because he's crap and I would guess he knows his limitations and what role he'd prefer to play.

But Jason Wilcox and Mark Atkins would vouch, some supporters always need someone to bully!

I think the most important thing to come out of today was that the team looked well-disciplined and physically fit. I thought Best on for Rochina was a bad move, and that opinion was justified until Taylor & Cairney came on to inject some creativity into midfield. As stated, Lowe & Marrow did an industrious job guarding the back four, until Rochina was injured, and the two of them were expected to press forward. That's when the wheels came off.

Best took his goal well and definitely improved on his first-half performance where he got booked and did little else. It would be valuable to have someone else apart from Rhodes to rely on for the goals, but the jury's still out on the guy. He's never been prolific and he's always one twinge away from a spell on the sidelines. Rhodes was practically anonymous besides his header in the first half and a couple of penalty shouts in the second.

Sounds like my thoughts from what I heard of the game (1st half and latter part of second half). Marrow and Lowe can do one job, guard the back 4 but little else. One with another cm should be fine for keeping things tight in most games imo, and if Evans is in there and can keep the ball moving we could become a hard side to beat.

Best - still think he's a lot to prove, including on today's performance. A run of games would help (assuming stays fit) but he has the potential to be a good foil for Rhodes, and give us a different strategy to try.

On Kane and King's reported bad games (King's came across more so on radio) Kane started off indifferently imo when he came to rovers, but settled down after a few games and was impressive. Hopefully it'll be a case of the same this time. King, I'm not too sure why he's ahead of Taylor - doesn't work as hard, and has a poor delivery. Our strikers would be much better served by someone with a stronger end product (like Taylor).

Overall, lots of positives from last season, but lots of work to do. Could struggle for creativity without Rochina but should at least hold onto him now. Derby aren't a great team for this division and a team challenging for promotion (especially with our 1st half performance till the injury) would be disappointed not to put the game to bed and come away with a win. A relegation candidate would've lost this. 1st indications from today is a mid table finish is likely.

Rochina will probably be out for 3 months with a dislocated shoulder. Thats the recovery time. So we can look forward to see him at the start of november if Fevre is working hard he can be back even sooner but a complete recovery takes around 12 weeks. On a positive note he will stay here for a while.

I Think Taylor's been ill in the week thats why King started today.

Also Henley, Kilgallon, Olsson and Givet is options at the defence.

Disappointed that Nunes and Pedersen didn't even make the bench today.

For the record, I also think everyone should get off Jason Lowe's back. Give the bloody lad a break. Again IMO, given the right role in the right team, he could be a world beater for us

Now now, I'm not jumping on his back here but read back what you've just wrote and give your head a wobble.

He's committed, fit and has a great work ethic but he has no other fundamental attributes of a footballer other than the above.

He rarely broke up attacks today, looked scared stiff with the ball at his feet, was a liability in our defensive third and his passing was atrocious. This is against a Derby side who'll not be troubling the honours board at the end of the season.

Effective?? Debatable. World beater?? Never ever ever.

Rochina will probably be out for 3 months with a dislocated shoulder. Thats the recovery time. So we can look forward to see him at the start of november if Fevre is working hard. On a positive note he will stay here for a while.

I Think Taylor's been ill in the week thats why King started today.

Also Henley, Kilgallon, Olsson and Givet is options at the defence.

Disappointed that Nunes and Pedersen didn't even make the bench today.

I'd be amazed if we saw Pederson again.

Nowt to do with him by the way, I think he's been a credit. Just a contractual fact of life!

Lowe should be a right back.

Nowt to do with him by the way, I think he's been a credit. Just a contractual fact of life!

I Think Pedersen could be vital to come on in some games. Also Nunes have the speed for the Championship and would be nice on the left wing.

We saw him today. He travelled with the team (along with Morris & Nunes who didn't make the bench) & was chatting to fans & signing autographs. He did however confirm he wasn't in the 18 for today.

He then warmed up for 30 minutes with Morris before today's team took to the pitch for pre match warm up. A bit odd.

Now now, I'm not jumping on his back here but read back what you've just wrote and give your head a wobble.

He's committed, fit and has a great work ethic but he has no other fundamental attributes of a footballer other than the above.

He rarely broke up attacks today, looked scared stiff with the ball at his feet, was a liability in our defensive third and his passing was atrocious. This is against a Derby side who'll not be troubling the honours board at the end of the season.

Effective?? Debatable. World beater?? Never ever ever.

We'll just have to agree to disagree!

Strange how Stuart Pearce, Gary Bowyer, the other plethora of last seasons managers and little old me can see Jason Lowe's qualities and value to the team don't you think?

I won't take the proverbial out of you and numerous others but I think it must be a case of don't give up the day job!

It's all about differing opinions, ain't it great.

Mine is we're going up!!!

55% possession away from home with a load of new players! Absolutely grafted their arses off and FULLY deserves at least a point...it may be a little early yet but I think we may just have our Rovers back!!

Ahead in possession away from home.

Cannot remember the last time that happened.

Amazing start to the new season!

We'll just have to agree to disagree!

Strange how Stuart Pearce, Gary Bowyer, the other plethora of last seasons managers and little old me can see Jason Lowe's qualities and value to the team don't you think?

I won't take the proverbial out of you and numerous others but I think it must be a case of don't give up the day job!

It's all about differing opinions, ain't it great.

Mine is we're going up!!!

I'd dearly love you to prove me wrong but there's a reason the opposing 19 year old Derby midfielder ran the show and was given MOM despite our 'world beater's' best efforts.

I wouldn't want to take the proverbial out of you and point that out but I guess I just did.

Oh, and I can't believe you used the selections of managerial geniuses Kean, Appleton, Pearce and Berg to back up your point!!! To coin one of your phrases, don't give up the day job!!!

I'd dearly love you to prove me wrong but there's a reason the opposing 19 year old Derby midfielder ran the show and was given MOM despite our 'world beater's' best efforts.

I wouldn't want to take the proverbial out of you and point that out but I guess I just did.

Oh, and I can't believe you used the selections of managerial geniuses Kean, Appleton, Pearce and Berg to back up your point!!! To coin one of your phrases, don't give up the day job!!!

As I previously said LD, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Time will prove the winner!

I thought Hughes looked decent when Derby had the ball but did not keep up with the pressing his team did in the last half an hour - I would also argue that he gave the ball away more than Jason and Alex (which the possession kind of suggests)

No doubt that Hughes will be a good creative box to box midfielder, but at times the sheer energy and organisation of our team as a whole nullified any Derby threat. Bar the penalty and a couple of lax passes (Lowe and Kane) I thought the team played very well. Worked hard, defended well - looked like we lost shape a little when Rochina came off, and I was confused by his replacement as a striker - but Best to his credit got the goal.

Back to Lowe - I am not sure exactly how some Rovers fans view a football game. At least 10 times in the game, Lowe ran 30/40 yards to stop a breakaway or attack without touching the ball or making a tackle. That is what defensive midfield is all about. His positioning, speed, energy and effort all rank highly, and his defensive understanding shines through. (especially as an untested right back in the premier league remember?)

He is not perfect yet, and he certainly needs to improve his passing and vision. This will NOT come playing in the ressies, it will only come on the pitch. I even thought he drove forward many more times than I was used to today. Marrow is also someone who is a breath of fresh air compared to watching Dixon and Danny last season. He is another that can only get better, and his mistake today may go a long way. We also have a number of players who can play midfield, so strength in depth is a positive.

Finally, what a signing tommy spurr looks. I know its early but man he works hard, has a bit of pace, strength, positioning and gets forward. He also has a mean long throw for the percentage loving supporters amongst us. (Guilty as charged ;))

The biggest plus for me today was our team spirit. We fought to the end and more than deserved the point from today's game. Cairney has only been at the club 5 minutes and the rest of the team had his back after that deliberate, malicious foul from their number 7 just before we scored and i liked that.

I also liked the way our players celebrated our goal. That may sound daft but every player looked over the moon and it was great to see how much it meant as much to them as much as it did to us, the fans. The players worked their socks off and it was the least we deserved from the match.

Yes there are improvements needed, especially cutting out some silly mistakes in midfield but we need to be patient. There was a lot of new faces making their debuts today and it will take time to gel. Special mention though to Judge on his return and Spurr who played very well.

Gutted for Rochina, he was a nightmare for them until the injury and I hope it's not to long in the treatment room for him as he will contribute massively this season.

• Backroom

Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter 8m

Gary Bowyer has a nice wry sense of humour. Asked about the many problems that beset #brfc last season, he replied: 'What problems?!'

Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter 6m

Very early days but Gary Bowyer seems just what #brfc need. Knows & loves the club. Calm. Players/fans clearly responding positively to him

Good comments by the Best Sport journalist in the UK.

here is his match report http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/10221455/Derby-County-1-Blackburn-Rovers-1-match-report.html

Distinctly annoying that he mentions Roy McFarland but not Bryan Douglas.

Jason lowe is a poor man's Andrews, is grant hanley playing as a striker now? he spent more time up front than he did in defence. Decent performance, a draw was a fair result as clough pointed out, why couldn't bowyer be as magnanimous in his post-match interview? will hughes looks a class act. Still going to be a long, hard season but its a good start.

• Backroom

Jason lowe is a poor man's Andrews, is grant hanley playing as a striker now? he spent more time up front than he did in defence. Decent performance, a draw was a fair result as clough pointed out, why couldn't bowyer be as magnanimous in his post-match interview? will hughes looks a class act. Still going to be a long, hard season but its a good start.

Probably because we should've had 3pts? I'm happy to take the draw but it was less than we deserved imo.

:huh:

Calm down Revidge, deep breaths, deep breaths, count to 10.

Aye, he's turned up to pick up his humongous wage packet for doing the square root of bugger all every week without fail for the last 5 seasons!!

What is the point of starting with the league's highest scoring striker? Behave.

Pleased with today's showing, a vast improvement on last season.

+

Rochina was a different class. If he hadn't gone off I reckon we would have won that game reasonably comfortably. Yes his decision making isn't brilliant but with his talent he'll do enough to win us plenty of games.

Also mentions for Spurr, Judge, Taylor, Hanley and Kean.

-

Lowe was the worst player on the pitch shortly followed by Kane. Kane was decent last season so I'll give him the benefit but Lowe offers nothing. Marrow was pointless and his handball was ridiculous. The two Hull lads should be nailed on starters after today. King was also abysmal.

Will Hughes was very impressive and will go on to big things. Derby in general were poor and I dont see them being top half come May. We should be beating these sorts of teams and its good to see that we were all over them for most of the game.

Very encouraging.

I think that's the post that most closely reflects my view of the game, although I thought King was the worst player on the pitch by far. Was he even playing? He must be running out of chances surely. Nunes and Taylor look much better options imo.

I didn't think Lowe was that bad today albeit I'm not a fan of him in midfield at all. He did a few decent things and some poor things which is a few decent things more than usual. On the other hand although I've only seen Marrow this week and last against Everton I'm struggling to see what he brings to the side. As a pairing however they just don't work at all imo.

Kane's performance was very strange, he's capable of much better. Very impressed with Spurr and Taylor did well when he came on.

Jake Kean is also starting to look like a very handy keeper indeed imo.

Myself was really frustrated with Lowe today passing wise but no doubt he and Marrow made us solid for the first 30mins they broke up attacks and jus gave the ball to Rochina or Judge who by the way has got a real engine on him...lost shape afta Rochina went off but to their credit came back into it in the 2nd half and credit to GB i was screaming for Dunn to come on but substitutions made were perfect

Again in defence of Kane I put the blame on King offered no protection or a pass and we did not see Kane push up once which he loves to do which showed even he couldn't rely on king to cover

Calm down Revidge, deep breaths, deep breaths, count to 10.

Aye, he's turned up to pick up his humongous wage packet for doing the square root of bugger all every week without fail for the last 5 seasons!!

Right first time Rev, did you get to ten by the way?

Of course you're spot on with your observations, he's made bucket loads from being rank average for all but one of 7 seasons. We should have cashed in when United offered £10 million! But we didn't and he's far from being alone in the take the buck and offer nowt in return brigade is he?

The point I was trying to make was he has been extremely professional and supportive of Rovers during recent times, the fact he can't beat the first defensive man when he takes a corner or wide free kick is irrelevant !!

Calm down Revidge, deep breaths, deep breaths, count to 10.?

Humongous eh? What's that compared to exactly? Is it Grella's? Villanueva's? Kalinic? Formica? Benjani? Petrovic, Vukcevic, Goodwillie, Murphy, Etuhu, Bentley, Santa Cruz? Oh yes, I'm sure Pedersen has been on vast, immense, titanic, infinite sums of money compared to those modern day legends, and he hasn't contributed a dime by comparison.

I mean, unless you count 19 goals and 40 assists in the last 5 seasons. But who wants to count them when we already know that's what the square root of bugger all adds up to.

Seriously don't bother counting to 10, I'm not sure you'd make it.

Archived