BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Barnsley

Tom

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing guaranteed is that Barnsley's new signing Marcus Pedersen is going to score for them. Was very suprised they were able to land him, would've been a good option for us. Should be well suited to english football, similar to Heidar Helgusson in playing style.

Still, I think and hope we'll win this and give Bowyer som peace.

Favourite memory of Barnsley is thrashing them 5-0 in about 1989 with the finest collection of goals I have ever seen at any football game whether live or on TV. That was Garner (hatrick), Sellars, Kennedy & Gayle and a really attacking and swashbuckling Rovers line up.

Worst memory, see photo above.

From last week v Doncaster:

O Instance of very good play

O Instance of decent play

O Disappointing or poor play

O Terrible play

h hoof upfield

( ) set pieces

imo

Kean OOOOOOO

Kane OOOOOOOOOOOhhh

Dann OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh

Hanley OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh

Spurr OOOOO(OO)OOOO

Taylor OOOOOOOO

Lowe OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh

Cairney OOOOO(OOOOOO)OOOO

judge OOOOOOOOO(OOO)OOOOOOO

Dunn OOOOOOOOOO

Rhodes OOOOOOOO

Evans OOOOOOOOOO

Best OOOO

King OOOOO

E&OE

It's a nice metric, Tony, but I'm sure you make up the results.

Every player does progressively worse things as the games go on? Not a single flash of decent play towards the middle or end of the game?

Just looked at the LT website and it seems Steve Kean is now the managers press adviser. SCARY

Gary Kean???

Link?

It's a nice metric, Tony, but I'm sure you make up the results.

Every player does progressively worse things as the games go on? Not a single flash of decent play towards the middle or end of the game?

Link?

I think you misinterpreted me Stuart. The assessments are not in order of play. It means for Kean for instance - in the course of the entire game: he did 5 decent things, one poor thing and one downright awful thing - all the rest of his work was pretty ordinary. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10628128.Blackburn_Rovers_boss_Gary_Bowyer_calls_on_fans_to_be_patient/

Just sounds like Kean to me.

be patient...blah blah.....long season...blah blah.....squad fighting for each other.....blah blah........sense of realism and patience needed.....blah blah........tyring to bring players in (and failing)....blah blah....all down to bad luck....blah blah

He even makes up a story about Premier league managers (plural) being under pressure after one game

All he needs is a "most can see what we are doing here" and "managers have been on the phone giving support" ;)

Obviously many will see it differently

I think you misinterpreted me Stuart. The assessments are not in order of play. It means for Kean for instance - in the course of the entire game: he did 5 decent things, one poor thing and one downright awful thing - all the rest of his work was pretty ordinary. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course.

Gotcha. How many decent things would a player have to do to have had a decent game overall?

Now can you do the tonyometer in chronological order? ;)

I do like the metric by the way, it just needs a bit of tweaking.

Gotcha. How many decent things would a player have to do to have had a decent game overall?

Now can you do the tonyometer in chronological order? ;)

I do like the metric by the way, it just needs a bit of tweaking.

Thanks for the feedback. Your first question is very interesting. I think the answer lies at the heart of why there are differing opinions on many of our players. Some people will focus on the positive things that a player does...........while others will focus on the negative. Lowe is a recent example - Judge too.

In the previous game, Spurr had no "orange or red circles" but many blue ones. That lad had a good game I reckon.

I'm not sure how I could do a chronological one easily - I'll think about it.

Favourite memory of Barnsley is thrashing them 5-0 in about 1989 with the finest collection of goals I have ever seen at any football game whether live or on TV. That was Garner (hatrick), Sellars, Kennedy & Gayle and a really attacking and swashbuckling Rovers line up.

I remember that game well i think it was first home game of that season. Rovers took them apart fine style. Ive got an old video tape with that seasons highlights on, all i need is a vhs to play it on !

Thanks for the feedback. Your first question is very interesting. I think the answer lies at the heart of why there are differing opinions on many of our players. Some people will focus on the positive things that a player does...........while others will focus on the negative. Lowe is a recent example - Judge too.

In the previous game, Spurr had no "orange or red circles" but many blue ones. That lad had a good game I reckon.

I'm not sure how I could do a chronological one easily - I'll think about it.

It was tongue in cheek tbh Tony. I think you would need to rate each player in 10 minute spells throughout the match, with a mini tonyometer rating for each period.

For that you'd likely need a team of 11 analysts working for you!

Maybe you could just sell your metric to the people who do run Prozone and get them to send you the results.

It's a nice idea though but don't spend too long agonising over it! :D

Would love a league match without Jason Lowe playing a part, I fully understand that less flashy players/plodders/water-carriers/lumps/cart horses can find a niche in defensive midfield but he simply hasn't the talent to play the role a 38 year old fat savage would be preferable....., definitely see Barnsley scoring

Parky a happy man tomorrow 1-2 Barnsley.

Thanks for the preview...;)

Anyone looking forward to this fixture with genuine confidence? Have to say I am a little concerned. 1 point from 9, struggling to score, or keep clean sheets. Doncaster comfortable winners last time out. Lose this one and the alarm bells will be jangling for sure and Bowyer will be under a great deal of early season pressure. Underestimate Barnsley at our peril.

Looking for a much improved performance from many at the club. Vital we start picking up points at home, with our away form so poor over the last 20 games or so. Worrying times for sure, but I have been saying that for as long as I can remember. Sad when you line up against the likes of Barnsley, Doncaster and Derby and are thinking that sneaking a draw is a steady away result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG74ueOXeRs

People say we are in better shape than the 80's. Other than the ground and training facilites the current team, management and executive structure are lightyears away

and another one to show what once was that is lost.....passion and commitment both on and off the terraces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2puYoiFuPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG74ueOXeRs

People say we are in better shape than the 80's. Other than the ground and training facilites the current team, management and executive structure are lightyears away

and another one to show what once was that is lost.....passion and commitment both on and off the terraces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2puYoiFuPM

Great move for the 3rd v Barnsley there, simple passing back to front down the flanks. Would love to see a bit of that tomorrow.

Archived