BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Barnsley

Tom

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given recent results and performances this win was welcome. Much better than what we have endured but a long way from our Premier League heights.

The positives were certainly the confidence gained and for the first time in a while the comarade on the pitch, players keen to share in the celebrations as well as a collective spirit throughout.

The challenges going forward for Bowyer are tactical. He talked after on Radio Rovers of pressing the ball but the reality was a poor Barnsley side who for periods with only 10 men found if easy to pass the ball around unchallenged - eventually scoring a good goal. We may have pressed better but against better teams probably not enough? My own reflection was of Robbie Savage chasing everything down and always going towards the ball.

The squad seems fairly balanced if lacking a little and Bowyer needs a leader. It's something we haven't had a for a while, nor a terrier like midfielder.

With Bolton in poor form and Burnley coming up, local derbies, Rovers are facing an early season test in the next three weeks. Lets hope the Barnsley result is a springboard for our season.

Lol, of course king pulled out one or two little tricks Stuart, but once he'd pushed the ball past his full back, there was always acres (well not "literally" acres) of space in front of him. We all know if he's denied that space, he doesn't have too much to offer - don't we? Or do we think he's suddenly got hidden talent that's been waiting to show itself?

Windy Miller made a career out of his one trick of tonking it past the fullback and beating him for pace to it.

Hey den.....you mentioned Andrei Kanchelskis the other day. It immediately took me back to when Rovers were in their pomp 94-95ish and he was one player I remember frightening the living daylights out of me - every time he got the ball it looked like United could score! It was an Ewood game I remember in particular; maybe even the Championship season.

Unfortunately King is not in that class but he can put the willies up defences when he runs at them. My old Carlisle mucker was very impressed by him (I know - it's only Carlisle). He is raw (or maybe flawed) but he should be able to make things happen if he continues to improve.

Having listened to the radio commentary live and having read the post-match reviews on here, I was expecting something special and was mildly disappointed. He skinned the full-back repeatedly; and that is great for getting the crowd going but he didn't produce one quality shot or one assist at the end of it. The overall performance and reception must have boosted his confidence though so I am looking forward to watching him in the next game.

As in people will probably say, "who cares if he had x amount of very good play's, look at how many disappointing ones he had" etc.

So as long as people consider that.

I think this is why we argue about players like MGP or Lowe. They work hard and are on the ball often. Poor touches or passes may get some fans frustrated whilst other, glass half-full fans remember only the defence splitting balls or goal saving tackle.

I remember perusing the stats of an Arsenal v Rovers game from a couple of years back. We had been played off the park and every Arsenal player bar one had a successful pass rate way over 80%. None of the Rovers were anywhere near 80%.

The one Arsenal player below 80% (78% I think) was the man of the match: Fabregas. As you say, he rarely attempted a simple lay-off. His passes were hand-grenades and most of them blew us apart.

Edit: I did review the First game of the season when Rochina was playing (it is post number 17 in the Rovers v Forest thread). He had a great game until he was injured - I just went back to look!

Or maybe, god forbid, we could give our players credit that's had a good game no?

Give over. King did well, I didn't say otherwise.

I made a point that some might agree with, whilst obviously some don't. If I'm wrong here, then we'll see performances like the Barnsley one, regularly from him. In fact, you have to wonder why the Barnsley game was the first time he's done as well as that? He's been here a long time now.

Put it another way

How many of the rest of our squad do you think would have caused that many problems for their full back, never mind who it was or how bad they were?

I think not many at all

We don't have much quality out wide Tom.

I was encouraged by a couple of examples of play the other day that have clearly come from training ground coaching by team GB, (if I may use that hackneyed phrase).

Firstly Todd Kane had a much better game and kept it simple. He has too often this season cut inside from his right back position whilst under pressure and looked to offload the ball to Dann or Kean; thereby putting them under pressure or worse still, losing possession in a dangerous position. A similar situation occurred on Saturday and he simply (sensibly) tapped the ball out for a throw in. This may have seemed negative but it was the right thing to do.

Secondly, Bowyer insisted all game that the ball be played to King, even more so in the second half. The route to Rhodes is via low crosses from the left wing to allow him to get a yard on his man and stroke the ball home with his right. Whilst neither of his goals came that way, clearly that is the plan.

I always enjoy watching the fruits of training sessions being deployed in matches as it increases my confidence in the Manager and his coaching staff.

King clearly grew in confidence throughout the game and he could be a big player this year with the right coaching.

That first half of football was by far some of the best we've played in years. Thought the young lads played extremely well after going behind and showed some real quality that willhopefully stand us in good stead going forward. Second half wasn't half as good but the game was dead and buried by this stage.

I see Barnsley got battered at home tonight, albeit to a premier league team. Puts our result into some kind of perspective and should be a warning to the GB yes men...

I was encouraged by a couple of examples of play the other day that have clearly come from training ground coaching by team GB, (if I may use that hackneyed phrase).

Bowyer insisted all game that the ball be played to King, even more so in the second half. The route to Rhodes is via low crosses from the left wing to allow him to get a yard on his man and stroke the ball home with his right. Whilst neither of his goals came that way, clearly that is the plan.

I always enjoy watching the fruits of training sessions being deployed in matches.

Woooah, asking the pacy winger to get crosses in for the centre forward to score, just pushing the boundaries of management is Bowyer.....

• Backroom

I see Barnsley got battered at home tonight, albeit to a premier league team. Puts our result into some kind of perspective and should be a warning to the GB yes men...

Surely you aren't suggesting we're almost as good as a PL team? ;)

That's right Tom the only one with a songo'o shirt I just wish they had the championship badges for the arms would just make it complete.

Thanks Josh yeah that's right as you will see I was so excited I have even been good enough to update my season ticket details on my profile.

But that is the basic function of a winger...irrespective of who it might be

Pretty sure Colt was praising Bowyer for his team tactics though. A 6 year old could say what the basic function of every position on the pitch is, but they couldn't say how to put 5 past Barnsley. Before Barnsley most people on here rated Judge as better than King, Bowyer presumably thought the opposite and should be given credit for being right (on this occasion anyway). Its also quite possible he analysed the strengths and weaknesses of their full backs to know which wing to put King on. He also deserves credit for instructing King to be persistently greedy, not many wingers achieve the basic function you mentioned these days, as can be seen in the reducing number of out-and-out wingers in the game. Full backs are too quick and centre halves too good in the air for it to be an effective approach for a lot of players, and working it back inside (in our case to our most talented player Dunn) is something some managers would have focused on instead. And then there's the confidence factor, which is absolutely vital to all creative players. Bowyer deserves credit for maintaining it in King who was coming under mounting fan criticism, presumably through one-to-one talks and simply persisting in playing. There's more to it than Bowyer just writing his name on a teamsheet and that's that.

King is like Rhodes in that he requires 'his' sort of service to get the best out of him. His asset is most definitely his pace and the rest of the team must strive to supply him with the type of service that he needs. MoM in many eyes on Saturday .... now we need to see him doing that on a regular basis and particularly against 11 men and far more competent full backs and centre halves.

The Jury on King has got to remain well and truly out for the moment.

btw It might be useful for Rhodes to drop deeper and King go to CF when the opposition are pressing so that necessary 'out' balls from our defenders can be aimed over the defenders heads and towards the corner flags for him to get to first and hold up whilst JR et al can get into the box. Much better than knocking them meekly to the head or chest of the centre half standing next to Jordan Rhodes as at present.

Pretty sure Colt was praising Bowyer for his team tactics though. A 6 year old could say what the basic function of every position on the pitch is, but they couldn't say how to put 5 past Barnsley.

absolutely spot on skh. Really enjoyed your post!

The point is that bowyer has realised that balls from the wing low and hard are the way to get rhodes scoring (jason wilcox type stuff).

It is refreshing to see a manager visibly having an impact on the match- unlike the managers of recent years. It is simple stuff but seemed to be beyond the grasp of appleton etc.

I would be interested to see king on the right wing on his strong foot where he would be discouraged from cutting in on his weaker left and could deliver out swingers with his right. It would solve his tendency to panic when cutting into the box.

It would also give nunes a chance on the left where i believe he could be really effective; especially with the dependable spurr behind him.

Bolton game:

imo

O Instance of very good play

O Instance of decent play

O Disappointing or poor play

O Terrible play

h hoof upfield

( ) set pieces

imo

Kean OO

Kane OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh

Dann OOOOOOOOh

Hanley OOOOOOOOOOhh

Spurr OOOOO(O)OOhh

Lowe OOOOOOOOOOOOh

Cairney OOOOOOOOO(O)OO

Marshall OOOOO(OO)OOOOO

Dunn OOOOOOOOOOOOO

King OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Rhodes OOOOOOOOOO

Taylor OOOO

Evans OOOOOO

Morris OOO

Highlights and Lowlights

5 Fantastic run by King down the wing and into the box, cross is easily blocked.

10 Beckford allowed through for an open shot on goal. Poor challenge by Marshall . Lowe was covering Beckford but brushed aside or slipped.

14 Lowe breaks up play twice and slides a lovely pass to Dunn.

22 Under pressure, Dunn fires a great cross into the box. Rhodes is taken by surprise and fluffs a free header.

25 King sprints to edge of box from halfway line, squares to Dunn who beats 3 players then the goalie.

26 Through ball from Dunn to Rhodes who beats his man to score.

35 Dunn squares ball across the edge of the box to Marshall who’s first time shot is tipped on to the post.

42 Quality passes from Kane to Dunn to Rhodes who hits a great shot but brilliantly saved.

44 Kane skinned, Kean fails to hold incoming shot, Marshall and Kane both move forward leaving opponent unmarked – he scores.

51 Kane clears off line.

68 Evans screamer!

75 Taylor flings his body at ball to pull off a great block.

80 From nothing King holds off defender and blast a shot narrowly wide.

81 King makes another good run past 3 defenders towards the box but shot is well over.

82 Kane robs defender and puts the ball on a plate for Rhodes second.

Bolton game:

imo

O Instance of very good play

O Instance of decent play

O Disappointing or poor play

O Terrible play

h hoof upfield

( ) set pieces

imo

Kean OO

Kane OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh

Dann OOOOOOOOh

Hanley OOOOOOOOOOhh

Spurr OOOOO(O)OOhh

Lowe OOOOOOOOOOOOh

Cairney OOOOOOOOO(O)OO

Marshall OOOOO(OO)OOOOO

Dunn OOOOOOOOOOOOO

King OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Rhodes OOOOOOOOOO

Taylor OOOO

Evans OOOOOO

Morris OOO

Highlights and Lowlights

5 Fantastic run by King down the wing and into the box, cross is easily blocked.

10 Beckford allowed through for an open shot on goal. Poor challenge by Marshall . Lowe was covering Beckford but brushed aside or slipped.

14 Lowe breaks up play twice and slides a lovely pass to Dunn.

22 Under pressure, Dunn fires a great cross into the box. Rhodes is taken by surprise and fluffs a free header.

25 King sprints to edge of box from halfway line, squares to Dunn who beats 3 players then the goalie.

26 Through ball from Dunn to Rhodes who beats his man to score.

35 Dunn squares ball across the edge of the box to Marshall who’s first time shot is tipped on to the post.

42 Quality passes from Kane to Dunn to Rhodes who hits a great shot but brilliantly saved.

44 Kane skinned, Kean fails to hold incoming shot, Marshall and Kane both move forward leaving opponent unmarked – he scores.

51 Kane clears off line.

68 Evans screamer!

75 Taylor flings his body at ball to pull off a great block.

80 From nothing King holds off defender and blast a shot narrowly wide.

81 King makes another good run past 3 defenders towards the box but shot is well over.

82 Kane robs defender and puts the ball on a plate for Rhodes second.

Come on Tony there was lot more good and bad in the Bolton game. Plus could you add the minutes to everything like you did last time. Cheers !

Archived