BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Barnsley

Tom

Den sums it up very well in his posts.

Personally I haven't forgotten but I'm avoiding the stress of being worked up about it. I enjoyed Saturday, especially the first half, and for the present it's all I can expect or hope for.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you don`t have a right to pass comment on players performances going off the views of radio commentators..

Not so. I assume your argument is that if you haven't seen the game live then you are not in a postition to pass comment. That raises a lot of questions. How many times have you been to a game, heard the fans scream blue murder about a decision or at the ref, only to get home and find out that the ref/decison etc was perfectly correct? How good is your view at the match? How good is your judgement in real time? How free are you from mass hysteria? I assume radio commentators have access to monitors with replays etc.

BTW I was at the game.

I think that's harsh.

Perhaps. Bolton game may makes things clearer.

I'm sorry but some of you just talk absolute drivel. I know that football is all about opinions but its embarrassing to read at times...

We were the better team when Barnsley had their first (and only) shot of the first half making it 0-1. We then pushed them right back in a show of absolute dominance until they broke before showing ruthless finishing to level and go ahead..the first half performance and tactile were near on perfect.

The second half was a none entity because the game was over.

Lowe was fabulous today. I was sat in amongst a couple of ex pros today who were raving about him. 1 or 2 missed placed passes but broke the game up and gave it simple...great reading of the game and a fantastic engine. They couldn't believe it when I told them how much grief he gets...the most compelling reply being "no one who's ever played the game would get on Loweys back...absolutely scandalous if they do"

Other positives were Rhodes, King, Kane, Cairney and Hanley who were great today..

Can't believe some so called fans still come on here being negative after a performance and result like that...no ones saying all our troubles are over but credit where it's due!

Agree about Lowe. Disagree about 2nd para. How many shots on target/goal threats did we have when you say we were pushing them back?

• Backroom

As a matter of interest, can anyone shed any light on what was going on after the game? Me and mates were halfway back up to the Golden Cup, when 2 cop cars soared past with sirens on. 3 more raced past shortly after, followed by 2 police vans with mesh shields on their windscreens. Was there some kerfuffle going on back at Ewood? Rovers fans? Barnsley fans?

My first game of the season and I was impressed at how we put them to the sword after they went a man down. Its not always easy to beat ten men and if a team did that to us we would be praising their ruthlessness. It was a much needed win but 4 points from 12 tells us how much there is to improve.

I thought King looked very dangerous but needs to improve his end product. In the first half particularly he beat the full back and then held the ball for too long or chose the wrong option (as if he's modelling himself on Rochina). He has bags of talent and hopefully some regular game time will help this aspect of his game. Rhodes took his goals well and Kane did well going forwards.

I was also impressed by Cairney's delivery but noticed he had a tendency to hide at times. For those who criticise Lowe (who I think is an average footballer) he shows for the ball much more than Cairney (who is more gifted) and did much better tracking back. He also got two assists, showing he can pass it forwards! He is clearly becoming the next Rovers scapegoat for some of our mentally challenged fans - sometimes the ball sideways/backwards is the best option and i didn't hear complaints when other players did this.

• Backroom

As a matter of interest, can anyone shed any light on what was going on after the game? Me and mates were halfway back up to the Golden Cup, when 2 cop cars soared past with sirens on. 3 more raced past shortly after, followed by 2 police vans with mesh shields on their windscreens. Was there some kerfuffle going on back at Ewood? Rovers fans? Barnsley fans?

Apparently there was some commotion to do with the Barnsley fans, no idea what though.

From Saturday

imo

O Instance of very good play

O Instance of decent play

O Disappointing or poor play

O Terrible play

h hoof upfield

( ) set pieces

Kean OOO

Kane O18O29O42O57OOOOOhhhhh

Spurr O9OOOOOO

Dann O38O50OOOOOOOO13hhhhh

Hanley OOOOOOOOOOOO

Judge OOOOOOO(OO)OO

Lowe O18OOOOOOOOOOh

Cairney (O16)OOOOO(OO)OO

King` O42OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dunn O18O42OOOOOOOOOOO

Rhodes O29O38OOOOO

Taylor O

Morris O

Nunes OOO

Highlights and Lowlights

9 Lovely ball over the defence by Spurr for Judge to run on to.

13 Dann too slow to close down for the first goal imo.

16 Great fee-kick from Cairney for our first goal.

18 Excellent defence splitting ball from Dunn to Kane then to Lowe who smashes a goal bound shot into the defender's face.

29 Excellent cross from Kane to Rhodes for the second.

38 Good ball from Dann to Rhodes who finishes brilliantly.

42 Defence splitting ball from Dunn, great cross from Kane and King is there to finish.

50 Goal saving tackle from Dann close to goal-line.

57 Great driving run from Kane for the 5th.

According to one of their forums there was a few dust ups outside the ground, in town and at the station involving groups from both sides.. On or two got injured and it doesn't paint some Rovers fans in a good light that;s for sure although i always do remember Barnsley usually having a little crew in tow going back the 80's.

Going back to the game it was so nice to enjoy a match for the first time in ages. I don't know what got into King but he was at it from 1st min to last, still frustrating at times but you couldn't fault his effort. I thought Lowe was excellent on Saturday and hope he keeps it up. their first goal was still another poor one to concede. the centre halves and keeper were asleep for that one and if it wasn't for the great strike for the equaliser so soon after it could have been another uneasy afternoon.

From Saturday

imo

O Terrible play

h hoof upfield

( ) set pieces

Kean OOO

Spurr O9OOOOOO

Hanley OOOOOOOOOOOO

Judge OOOOOOO(OO)OO

Lowe O18OOOOOOOOOOh

Cairney (O16)OOOOO(OO)OO

Dunn O18O42OOOOOOOOOOO

Rhodes O29O38OOOOO

Taylor O

Morris O

Nunes OOO

Highlights and Lowlights

18 Excellent defence splitting ball from Dunn to Kane then to Lowe who smashes a goal bound shot into the defender's face.

42 Defence splitting ball from Dunn, great cross from Kane and King is there to finish.

Impressed by your style you're definitely onto a winner there.

From Saturday

imo

O Terrible play

h hoof upfield

( ) set pieces

Kean OOO

Spurr O9OOOOOO

Hanley OOOOOOOOOOOO

Judge OOOOOOO(OO)OO

Lowe O18OOOOOOOOOOh

Cairney (O16)OOOOO(OO)OO

Dunn O18O42OOOOOOOOOOO

Rhodes O29O38OOOOO

Taylor O

Morris O

Nunes OOO

Highlights and Lowlights

Christ, that was good!

Something I think that's worth highlighting is the number of total instances for Dunn and King, and the fairly large number that are classed as being disappointing/poor. This to me is because Dunn and King are expected to do more with the ball when they get it. They were our go-to creative players on Saturday so they're required to try riskier, but more productive, things.

King in particular has been criticised on here in the past for being greedy, not passing, having his head down, losing possession etc. But in my opinion he's simply trying to carry out his tactical role as instructed by Bowyer. In the first half especially everything was getting funnelled to the left flank and as soon as Spurr got it he'd immediately give it to King. He wouldn't then overlap and no midfielder would come in and ask for it short. This is because its King's job to beat his man and everyone's getting into position to react when he does. So in my opinion he's told to be greedy and (along with Dunn) do the difficult job of opening teams up. And as such fans need to give him some patience when it doesn't come off. As long as he's confident and happy, he can be excellent for us this season.

From Saturday

imo

O Terrible play

h hoof upfield

( ) set pieces

Kean OOO

Spurr O9OOOOOO

Hanley OOOOOOOOOOOO

Judge OOOOOOO(OO)OO

Lowe O18OOOOOOOOOOh

Cairney (O16)OOOOO(OO)OO

Dunn O18O42OOOOOOOOOOO

Rhodes O29O38OOOOO

Taylor O

Morris O

Nunes OOO

Highlights and Lowlights

Great effort Tony!

Hope it hasn't taken you since Saturday to compile though!!

Cheers.

Not so. I assume your argument is that if you haven't seen the game live then you are not in a postition to pass comment. That raises a lot of questions. How many times have you been to a game, heard the fans scream blue murder about a decision or at the ref, only to get home and find out that the ref/decison etc was perfectly correct? How good is your view at the match? How good is your judgement in real time? How free are you from mass hysteria? I assume radio commentators have access to monitors with replays etc.

BTW I was at the game.

I know one thing. If you are at the game you have a bloody sight better chance of getting it right than if you are not.

From Saturday

imo

O Terrible play

h hoof upfield

( ) set pieces

Kean OOO

Spurr O9OOOOOO

Hanley OOOOOOOOOOOO

Judge OOOOOOO(OO)OO

Lowe O18OOOOOOOOOOh

Cairney (O16)OOOOO(OO)OO

Dunn O18O42OOOOOOOOOOO

Rhodes O29O38OOOOO

Taylor O

Morris O

Nunes OOO

Highlights and Lowlights

50 Goal saving tackle from Dann close

I'm away on holiday so haven't had chance to see any highlights but love this post, thanks for the effort as i'd hazard a guess it took a good bit more than 90 mins to compile!!

• Backroom

Great stuff tony

It will be fun to tally up at the end of the season

King really impressed me it seemed once he beat his man once he got a bit of confidence to do it every time, it wasn't just raw pace either a few flicks and a couple of nutmegs in there as well.

Frustrating he may be but without Rochina he may yet offer our biggest chance of creating from nothing

Great stuff tony

It will be fun to tally up at the end of the season

King really impressed me it seemed once he beat his man once he got a bit of confidence to do it every time, it wasn't just raw pace either a few flicks and a couple of nutmegs in there as well.

Frustrating he may be but without Rochina he may yet offer our biggest chance of creating from nothing

I do appreciate the effort that goes into it and I've enjoyed looking at them but if we're tallying it up, there's things to consider.

You mention Rochina, well his will have loads of disappointing and even terrible moments of play but he'll probably have more than double the number of instances than a lot of players because he receives the ball so often.

As in people will probably say, "who cares if he had x amount of very good play's, look at how many disappointing ones he had" etc.

So as long as people consider that.

Thank you!

Disappointing to hear that GB didnt introduce Leon Best in the second half as he needs to keep his three main strikers in good competitive shape for the season if they are to have any realistic chance of pushing for promotion.

Bowyer missed an opportunity there.

Disappointing to hear that GB didnt introduce Leon Best in the second half as he needs to keep his three main strikers in good competitive shape for the season if they are to have any realistic chance of pushing for promotion.

Bowyer missed an opportunity there.

Not really.

Best had a Bust up with Bowyer after Doncaster game about not starting that game.

Rovers are willing to allow him to leave. That's explain why Bowyer wanted a striker in before the Barnsley game which didn't happen. so Best was on bench, IMO if we had bought in this player and I think Best wouldn't be on the bench for the game

Thank you!

Lol, of course king pulled out one or two little tricks Stuart, but once he'd pushed the ball past his full back, there was always acres (well not "literally" acres) of space in front of him. We all know if he's denied that space, he doesn't have too much to offer - don't we? Or do we think he's suddenly got hidden talent that's been waiting to show itself?

• Moderation Lead

Lol, of course king pulled out one or two little tricks Stuart, but once he'd pushed the ball past his full back, there was always acres (well not "literally" acres) of space in front of him. We all know if he's denied that space, he doesn't have too much to offer - don't we? Or do we think he's suddenly got hidden talent that's been waiting to show itself?

Or maybe, god forbid, we could give our players credit that's had a good game no?

I'm not just being difficult about this but I think you've sold him short. When it came to pace, yes he got to the ball first but often the (winger) makeshift rb was breathing down his neck.

Personally I do think he is talented. There weren't many players who shone last season under the bald, the balder and the baldest so he may well show what he's capable of if he's playing well in the team regularly.

But I'll take on board that it was against 10 men and without a proper rb. The jury is still out but let's give him a chance.

That's how I saw it den.

• Backroom

Put it another way

How many of the rest of our squad do you think would have caused that many problems for their full back, never mind who it was or how bad they were?

I think not many at all

Archived