BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Barnsley

Tom

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People bemoaned the team's lack of penetration (ooer missus), but it was Rhodes getting behind the last man that essentially swung the game for Rovers. Just enjoy the moment instead of nitpicking the three points.

Hey Yeti-Dog, long time since we exchanged a few verbals !

Listen, wee Dougie isn't my idol but I have enormous respect for him after his job at Palace.

Yes, Bolton have started poorly but already played QPR, Forest, Reading and even Burnley who sit above us ! I reckon they have played at least two of the sides who will get promoted.

Not feeling too comfortable after most supporters were saying we had 'an easy start' - well, if we did, we haven't made the most of it.

Wouldn't like to call next Saturday's match - might depend upon which side Rhodes is playing for ;)

Thought I'd join in the fun again Merce.. ;) you're right of course, the Bolton game will be more challenging although I think it's too close to call at present and the result could go either way.On the Rhodes thing though I have to disagree, can't see him ending up at Notlob for one minute.

no please let those types stay at home and just whinge on here, better than having them sat near me and whinging(or in todays case aggressively balling at our players whilst we where 5-2 up with minutes to go, yet I didn't hear a squeak out of him when we where playing exciting football, dominating and scoring for fun 1st halve, cant wait to be sat near this pr##k for every home game this year, o joy)

Todays atmosphere was great from the kick off, the team where clearly well up for it from the off although Barnsley scored completely against the run of play after 12mins there was no way we was going to loose today regardless of the sending off,

Most worrying thing of note for me was as soon as Dunn was subbed there was no leadership on the pitch at all and he's going to play a massive role for us linking midfield and attack until Rochinas back, so I hope he can stay fit.

And Josh King was seriously unstoppable for the 1st hour.

TJ, I'm with you with the perpetual moaning buggers, never happy irrespective. Unfortunately in recent times they've had plenty to get off on!

We won 5-2, should have been 7, crap defending for both goals, lucky they went down to 10 men etc. etc. FFS enjoy the win and look forward to the next game.

Wee Dougie and the six fingered ginger one will be seriously worried about the upcoming fixtures !

All my mates who had season tickets for 30+ years don't go anymore. Most won't pay a penny to the Venkys. That's why Ewood is half empty.

Must have gained a lot of new supporters in modern time, since the average in the 80's was below 10.000.

Really enjoyed the game today! Well done boys. Lots of players performed really well and should be applauded.

Does anyone know what happened with the Barnsley fans after the game? We walk down to Lower Darwen and the Barnsley fans were going mad at the stewards and being held back by the time we walked past and there was a lad with a nasty gash on his arm stood on the edge of the car park. No police along the car park as there sometimes are but as we got further away numerous police cars came zooming by with blue lights on! The Barnsley fans obviously felt hard done to over something.

p.s. Cairney's passing and composure in the centre of midfield was something we haven't seen for a while, shame he's only here 6 months.

I agree, it was good to see him always calling for the ball, he always wanted it. Knows how to move the ball at his feet when he receives it to turn out etc.

Thought Lowe had a good game today and that's coming from one of his biggest doubters.

People bemoaned the team's lack of penetration (ooer missus), but it was Rhodes getting behind the last man that essentially swung the game for Rovers. Just enjoy the moment instead of nitpicking the three points.

Spot on. 2 moments of class from Rhodes when the score was 1-1 turned what might have been a banana skin into a comfortable afternoon.

On King and Lowe they were much better but you have to bear in mind we were playing ten men so I'd like to see them play like that regularly against eleven before I get completely carried away.

And although King was much better and skinned his man numerous times as Tom said, for me more often than not there is still no end product when he comes to the edge of the opposition box and he usually ends up giving the ball away.

Great win though and much needed 3 points which will hopefully boost confidence no end.

Really enjoyed the game today! Well done boys. Lots of players performed really well and should be applauded.Does anyone know what happened with the Barnsley fans after the game? We walk down to Lower Darwen and the Barnsley fans were going mad at the stewards and being held back by the time we walked past and there was a lad with a nasty gash on his arm stood on the edge of the car park. No police along the car park as there sometimes are but as we got further away numerous police cars came zooming by with blue lights on! The Barnsley fans obviously felt hard done to over something.

I must have passed about the same time as you but the barnsley fans were certainly very angry. There was also a silver corsa abandoned in the middle of the road just infront of them on Top o'th Croft facing towards ewood so dont know whether that was involved.

Fantastic to get our first win, scoring 5 goals, Rhodes scoring a couple, and King & Kane putting in excellent performances. Couldn't really ask for more than that. Gotta break out of the habit of conceding the first goal. Against the good teams, it's difficult to come back and win from a losing position.

Still very much a work in progress as Bowyer acknowledges. We have a new team and a young team so we are going to be inconsistent. Important not to get carried away with the win, but equally can't go over the top when we lose.

Really relieved for Bowyer most of all. More fans would start to doubt him and the owners would be tempted to pull the trigger if we had lost. What Bowyer seems good at is getting home wins against teams we `should` beat.

Anyone know what injury Cory Evans picked up before the match?

13,058 according to the BBC

That would be absolute topside. We moved to WO4 this year. There wasn't much room around us for the Forest game but loads of empty seats today. I'd guess at 11,000 max.

Great response from the team.

Not seen the game today, but King is a mystery, I've seen him be unstoppable (when he came on vs burnley away) and be useless (most of the time), if he can keep some form he will be a massive asset because he's got the natural attributes.

Good that Kane has improved too.

Lets hope for a winning run - something we haven't achieved for ages!

That would be absolute topside. We moved to WO4 this year. There wasn't much room around us for the Forest game but loads of empty seats today. I'd guess at 11,000 max.

Not that it means much in the great scheme of things but me and my 2 lads all have season tickets and none of us were there today, no doubt it still added 3 to the 'count'.

the 4231 formation(or 451 when defending) is the only formation that works for us and our players, but it all hinges on having a dunn/rochina type fit to play the central attack midfield role to link it all together, its also the formation that suits Rhodes most as he doesn't get as isolated.

Was a simply mesmerising performance from the boys in Blue and White halves today. We dominated throughout the game even before the sending off it was evident that if we continued the way we started we would win the game at a canter. There was a minor setback in Barnsely scoring to begin with but the result was never in danger.

There was a few stand-out performances but I thought the whole team played well. King was given the man of the match award perhaps because of the trillion times he skimmed the Barnsley right-back. He was playing right-back but I'm led to believe he is actually more of a winger by trade, but we'll look over that point I looked it up primarily because he was that bad that I thought we might have sold Bradely Orr to Barnsley unbeknown to me. Elsewhere the midfield trio had a nice balance with Lowe doing all the defensive duties which allowed freedom for both Cairney to create and for Dunn to have more or less a free-role in-behind the lone striker Rhodes. I was really impressed with Cairney to be honest, looks a really calm and composed player on the ball and I can't recall him misplacing a pass all game. Finally I was pleased to see the resurgence of Todd Kane into the sort of form we saw from him last season. To think there was people on here beginning to doubt Rhodes' goal-scoring ability just because he hadn't scored for a few games, if he plays all season he'll be thereabouts the thirty goal margin once again.

Overall there's room for much optimism after today's performances. People may say "It's only Barnsley" but it was more about the way we won today the commitment was spot on and the balance of the team looks good with that line-up. I really hope we manage to keep Cairney and Dunn in the same team because they really ran the show today and showed what a difference to a team a couple of good creativity players can make, the sort of which we lacked so desperately in the previous home game against Forest.

Good win today. Was trying to think of last time we scored 4 goals before half time. We did vs Rotherham in league cup 2003 is but can't think of league perhaps when beat west ham 7-0 or whatever it was or going back further to beating Norwich 7-1 or sheff wed 7-2.

I am confused - if we are losing money how can they be paying it to the Venky's ?

Think what he's trying to get at is Blackburn rovers is venkys company so if you pay anything on gate receipts, merchandise, etc, with venkys as the owners it goes to them. Even if they are losing money. Say they are losing 2 million a month and buy a £30 ticket all that means is they are just losing £30 less than would have otherwise. So while its not like giving them £30 its saving them £30.

In the grand scheme of things gate receipts are peanuts anyway. To put it in perspective if say there's 10,000 rovers fans paying £20 on average for 23 games its £4.6 million and with that we couldn't even afford to buy etuhu out of his contract.

Good win today. Was trying to think of last time we scored 4 goals before half time. We did vs Rotherham in league cup 2003 is but can't think of league perhaps when beat west ham 7-0 or whatever it was or going back further to beating Norwich 7-1 or sheff wed 7-2.

Think what he's trying to get at is Blackburn rovers is venkys company so if you pay anything on gate receipts, merchandise, etc, with venkys as the owners it goes to them. Even if they are losing money. Say they are losing 2 million a month and buy a £30 ticket all that means is they are just losing £30 less than would have otherwise. So while its not like giving them £30 its saving them £30.

In the grand scheme of things gate receipts are peanuts anyway. To put it in perspective if say there's 10,000 rovers fans paying £20 on average for 23 games its £4.6 million and with that we couldn't even afford to buy etuhu out of his contract.

So basically it is just an excuse so they can still claim to be Rover's fans - but not actually attend any matches ?

Archived