BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Barnsley

Tom

I remember that game well i think it was first home game of that season. Rovers took them apart fine style. Ive got an old video tape with that seasons highlights on, all i need is a vhs to play it on !

i saw it recently on you tube so you don't need the vhs.

Andy kennedy had better than than a goal every other game ratio which suprises many. Something like 27 in 52 if memory serves.

Garns was on fire for the final two seasons of the 80's. Sellars was good for him and his overall game had developed tremendously.

Absolutely idolised him (still do)!

Apologies- should have read the entire thread.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG74ueOXeRs

People say we are in better shape than the 80's. Other than the ground and training facilites the current team, management and executive structure are lightyears away

and another one to show what once was that is lost.....passion and commitment both on and off the terraces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2puYoiFuPM

Great views of the old Ewood Park. The players are actually wearing shorts as well, not todays glorified beach wear. How they run with all that cloth flapping around their knees I'll never know. What we'd give for a Cowans or a Speedie these days.

Two poor teams.

Can see a very comfortable Rovers' win by 3 or 4 goals to 1 followed by trite platitudes from the likes of Lowe that 'the season started here' and 'we'll kick-on from this'.

Lose tomorrow and the writing will be on the wall and Bowyer will I think be lucky to keep his job.

If it pours down, I'll go, if weather stays fine then will have better things to do at BH weekend.

Great views of the old Ewood Park. The players are actually wearing shorts as well, not todays glorified beach wear. How they run with all that cloth flapping around their knees I'll never know. What we'd give for a Cowans or a Speedie these days.

Speedie would have frightened the life out of most of the present squad.

Just win Rovers,in the name of God please win!!

Some great memories in the youtube clips.

At 0-2 after 15 mins it was desperate, but those 2 goals the second just before half-time drew us level, and the atmosphere was amazing. Remember Speedie scoring a perfectly legitimate 5th against Derby too, but was ruled out for offside, even though he was behind the ball.

At 0-2 after 15 mins it was desperate, but those 2 goals the second just before half-time drew us level, and the atmosphere was amazing. Remember Speedie scoring a perfectly legitimate 5th against Derby too, but was ruled out for offside, even though he was behind the ball.

That was Super Atko Baz

A mate of mine left in disgust at 2-0. All I heard was "I'm off. I can't stomach another Palace".

He didn't know we'd won until he got back to Ossy on the bus :D

Good memories indeed. Some of my favourites. That Rovers team would batter this one 5.0. Scotty, beam me up...please.

Feeling we're going to win this one. Not sure why given that we've not been amazing but I'm pretty confident on this one.

I don't think we can afford to lose, as others have stated, and one thing that characterizes GB previous tenure was when it mattered most he won. Going into the Bolton derby without any wins would be a killer, the pressure intense - and more so if our form doesn't pick up much before we meet the dingles (if we struggle for that long). So I've a sneaking feeling we'll win.

Barnsley looked rather naive against us from what I saw last season, added to which we can be fairly solid -we've more problems at the other end, scoring goals. So I imagine we'll grind out a 1-0 win which papers over the cracks and sees us in for a season of mid-table mediocrity.

That was Super Atko Baz

A mate of mine left in disgust at 2-0. All I heard was "I'm off. I can't stomach another Palace".

He didn't know we'd won until he got back to Ossy on the bus :D

Thought it was Speedie, but fair play if it was super Atko. In my defence it was 21 years ago (jesus!)

I remember a few fans walking off at 0-2 too.

Anyhow, that was a proper team, and mostly bought pre-Daglish, showing what we could acheive with literally no money in this league.

What concerns me is that we have absolutely zero penetration whatsoever. They'll come and defend early on then grow into the game as they realise how blunt we actually are, before nicking one on around 78minutes.

Booo's cascade around the stadium and some verbals are exchanged between the 'boo boys' and the 'get behind the lads' lot.

Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Barnsley

Great views of the old Ewood Park. The players are actually wearing shorts as well, not todays glorified beach wear. How they run with all that cloth flapping around their knees I'll never know.

That's really brightened up my Friday. Cheers Tyrone.

HA!

I suppose we should win this game , 2 poor teams (they maybe 2 very poor teams but it is early days) cannot help, thinking how the hell are we going to break them down?

I hope we win resoundingly for the managers sake , cos I actually think he is a decent bloke ..

More , I think about it though a draw is the best we can hope for , then again I maybe wrong !

What concerns me is that we have absolutely zero penetration whatsoever. They'll come and defend early on then grow into the game as they realise how blunt we actually are, before nicking one on around 78minutes.

Booo's cascade around the stadium and some verbals are exchanged between the 'boo boys' and the 'get behind the lads' lot.

Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Barnsley

That's really brightened up my Friday. Cheers Tyrone.

HA!

Yep

I have made the point before but the language of negativity and despair is so much more powerful than the language of say Mary Poppins or Cliff Richard, blue sky thinking or even a sense of hope-hence the power of Jimmy's post.

I hope it works out for Bowyer, but I am very worried. The last thing he/we needed was a crop of injuries robbing us of what creative options we did have.

Any failure tomorrow will be coming in on top of wounds that are still very raw...

The whole team is carrying the burden of wrongs that have been done over the past 3 years.

Also, I think Kamy is right about the culture of losing. The results score card since Venkunts took over is staggeringly bad...LRHV

Also, I think Kamy is right about the culture of losing. The results score card since Venkunts took over is staggeringly bad...LRHV

Too true. I've got this horrible feeling in my gut that we might get an early goal tomorrow (between 1->20 mins) and then try to defend that lead for the remainder of the game and we all know how that usually pans out. Hope I'm wrong though!

Archived