BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

There you go again, being wise with the benefit of hindsight and producing a list of players after they've done well! Genius! How do you pick them beforehand is rather more pertinent.

And the fact we paid 8m for Rhodes is still as irrelevant as it always was as long as we can make a profit on him which presently would be rhe case.

Nugent----hindsight? No brainer more like, not like he is unknown.I was arguing on here that we should get Nugent on the cheap after Portsmouth had to sell him years ago.Copped flak for it too!

Local lad, back to his home area, could and should have been a real success story.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when Rhodes came on the radar ,rovers had done their summer shopping .

The AG met with Singh , and tore shreads of their summer business which had seen the likes of Murphy , Etuhu , Gomes and god knows how many Portuguese come through the door .

I remember clearly the conversations that Championship football is not child's play and with the departure of Yakubu the team lacked any threat in attack or a man capable of scoring 20 goals plus .

It was at this point we suggested Jordan Rhodes , who Singh had never heard of , in fact he wasn't sure what country Hudderfield was in .

Following the Fleetwood friendly , When Best got injured , the chase for Rhodes started , which at many times would of ended had encouragement to sign him not been forthcoming . Huddersfield turned bid after bid down , Kean was trying to get Cox, DJ and Chopra in as alternatives , I remember telling Singh dig in on Rhodes as Rovers would get their man the closer the window came to closing .

Venky's had no plan to spend any money on a striker , but would of took a short term fix on the previous mentioned . Our transfer budget was spent , however they made an exception on Rhodes as he was sold to them on , he is a minimum 20 goal a season player , young enough to make a profit on should Rovers fail to get promotion. £8 million was never part of the plan , as £4 million was the figure banded around in football circles , however when the crunch came , with other clubs also after him, Huddersfield held all the keys and Rovers had to offer more than Premiership clubs were willing to pay to get their man .( there was serious premiership interest)

I think beyond reasonable doubt , he has more than justified the additional spend with his scoring exploits and Rovers if they chose to sell would at least get their money back .

The moral of this story is Rovers were so dis functional the only thing they got right was to chase a player recommended by supporters rather than stupid greedy agents.

Should Rhodes now be sold at least the manager is choosing the targets based on football

I remember when Rhodes came on the radar ,rovers had done their summer shopping .

The AG met with Singh , and tore shreads of their summer business which had seen the likes of Murphy , Etuhu , Gomes and god knows how many Portuguese come through the door .

I remember clearly the conversations that Championship football is not child's play and with the departure of Yakubu the team lacked any threat in attack or a man capable of scoring 20 goals plus .

It was at this point we suggested Jordan Rhodes , who Singh had never heard of , in fact he wasn't sure what country Hudderfield was in .

Following the Fleetwood friendly , When Best got injured , the chase for Rhodes started , which at many times would of ended had encouragement to sign him not been forthcoming . Huddersfield turned bid after bid down , Kean was trying to get Cox, DJ and Chopra in as alternatives , I remember telling Singh dig in on Rhodes as Rovers would get their man the closer the window came to closing .

Venky's had no plan to spend any money on a striker , but would of took a short term fix on the previous mentioned . Our transfer budget was spent , however they made an exception on Rhodes as he was sold to them on , he is a minimum 20 goal a season player , young enough to make a profit on should Rovers fail to get promotion. £8 million was never part of the plan , as £4 million was the figure banded around in football circles , however when the crunch came , with other clubs also after him, Huddersfield held all the keys and Rovers had to offer more than Premiership clubs were willing to pay to get their man .( there was serious premiership interest)

I think beyond reasonable doubt , he has more than justified the additional spend with his scoring exploits and Rovers if they chose to sell would at least get their money back .

The moral of this story is Rovers were so dis functional the only thing they got right was to chase a player recommended by supporters rather than stupid greedy agents.

Should Rhodes now be sold at least the manager is choosing the targets based on football

I've gotta say Glen you (or somebody at the action group) got mighty lucky there! Pity you didnt mention suarez to em. Be interesting to see how you would have fared if you had tried the same stunt at Wigan or Blackpool. Glen Mullen?...jeez he could nae pick his own nose. However fair does for pointing out how dysfunctional (gullible) the venkymob were. Rather surprised they didn't turn to you when berg left.

As for shebby Singh never having heard of Jr back then ... Well tbh neither had I! I rem him getting a mention at that 'fans meet shebby' event at kgh and thinking who tf is this Jordan Rhodes? Just as an aside how often did you guys go over to Huddersfield to have him watched?

• Backroom

Well at least glen and co's judgement was better than that of the lad Vinny Rao was listening to and discussing signings with on Facebook!

It worked out rather nicely in the end and for that we should be grateful but as Glen even admits what a farce it is that a football club signs a player because fans point out he's good! Surely the slightest bit of research would show that this lad is doing well (or like most people they could have seen the game where he bagged 4 on sky sports), you have to wonder what our previous criteria for signing players was.

Well at least glen and co's judgement was better than that of the lad Vinny Rao was listening to and discussing signings with on Facebook!

It worked out rather nicely in the end and for that we should be grateful but as Glen even admits what a farce it is that a football club signs a player because fans point out he's good! Surely the slightest bit of research would show that this lad is doing well (or like most people they could have seen the game where he bagged 4 on sky sports), you have to wonder what our previous criteria for signing players was.

Must be what 500 letterwriters a day were asking. No doubt the answers will be in dodgy bank accounts in Brunei .

Did anyone else find that post sickening? No disrespect Glen. Its just I found that really hard to read. Jesus H Christ! Real life football manager! Our club record signing cherry picked by a group of fans! I can't quite believe I've just actually read that. It makes me wonder what other decisions have been made off the back of supporter suggestions. A bit like that film Bruce Almighty, when he answers everyones prayers with a 'yes' and the world turns to chaos.

We WOULD have been in league one without Rhodes, no doubt about that.

Jimmy and the rest of the detractors have conveniently forgotten that point...

We WOULDN'T have been anywhere near relegation had sensible decisions and thought processes been carried out at the club, something I've been trying to explain on here for the best part of 12months.

Spending £8m on Rhodes was IMO another ludicrous decision in the whole host that were made last summer. Fortunately for us, it is one of the few that has returned some benefit -so as I've said, fair play to the guy. It doesn't mean that I condone wildly overspending on the advice (it would appear) of a group of bloody football fans. Goodness only knows which scouts were advising them to go as high as £8m. I assume you went through the full scouting procedure before even thinking of recommending a player Glen?

I'm not going to subscribe to the idea that spending £8m on a league one player is good business, or an advisable move for a club in financial meltdown.

I like Rhodes, I have no problem with him as I appreciate how good he is in front of goal, and quite frankly, the stat about his goals compared to everyone else is unbelievable. Has he been worth it? Well, some would argue that yes, he has because he 'kept us up'. IMO if you spend crazy money for a championship club you have to be getting promoted to justify it, particularly a ridiculous, pie in the sky transfer fee like that.

Admittedly I'm far too hung up on the fee, and do appreciate his goals.

Your argument could apply to any player in any team in the world.

The fact is, we have the divisions top scorer in our team. Only a fool would complain about that or argue for his removal.

I think you made a throwaway comment weeks ago and are boring the pants off everyone by keep trying to back it up using a different angle every week.

Maybe your just on a massive wind up.

I've made 75 posts out of a total of 1331. That means 1256 posts are from other people. Stuart, who argues against my views has made more posts than me. For every six posts I make, you make one post to tell me to shut the f.up. In fact, I think every post you've made has been to tell me to do just that. You don't like the conversation, but keep posting, why?

I think the mods could do with a bit of help Aggy.

Thenodrog called him a liability. Where have I been rude? Wind your neck in.

Aw the arrogance of youth, assuming it was aimed at him despite no quote or reference to him and you're telling me to wind my neck in?

Shall I repeat, you lot make @#/? up and claim it as truth, further proof is above and further can be found from reading the thread from the above quoted post..

Rhodes kept us in this league? Well we were going down with him in our team before GB came along but we'll convienently forget that FACT as it doesn't suit my argument.

It's like Den was waiting for Rhodes to not play so he could dine out on it- he's scored half of our goals since he arrived.

Getting tiresome to read criticism of our top goalscorer, whatever his shortcomings- 42 goals in 73 appearances should be praised, not slated.

" slated" K-Hod?

We WOULDN'T have been anywhere near relegation had sensible decisions and thought processes been carried out at the club, something I've been trying to explain on here for the best part of 12months.

Spending £8m on Rhodes was IMO another ludicrous decision in the whole host that were made last summer. Fortunately for us, it is one of the few that has returned some benefit -so as I've said, fair play to the guy. It doesn't mean that I condone wildly overspending on the advice (it would appear) of a group of bloody football fans. Goodness only knows which scouts were advising them to go as high as £8m. I assume you went through the full scouting procedure before even thinking of recommending a player Glen?

I'm not going to subscribe to the idea that spending £8m on a league one player is good business, or an advisable move for a club in financial meltdown.

I like Rhodes, I have no problem with him as I appreciate how good he is in front of goal, and quite frankly, the stat about his goals compared to everyone else is unbelievable. Has he been worth it? Well, some would argue that yes, he has because he 'kept us up'. IMO if you spend crazy money for a championship club you have to be getting promoted to justify it, particularly a ridiculous, pie in the sky transfer fee like that.

Admittedly I'm far too hung up on the fee, and do appreciate his goals.

You condone big spending ?

What's your HONEST opinion of Jack Walker's spending big?

Did anyone else find that post sickening? No disrespect Glen. Its just I found that really hard to read. Jesus H Christ! Real life football manager! Our club record signing cherry picked by a group of fans! I can't quite believe I've just actually read that. It makes me wonder what other decisions have been made off the back of supporter suggestions. A bit like that film Bruce Almighty, when he answers everyones prayers with a 'yes' and the world turns to chaos.

Lost opportunity! What tf was up with Roy Race? Thats what I want to know!

As for 'decisions made off the back of supporter suggestions'? As far as the first 2 years were concerned the venkymob did the exact opposite to supporter suggestions. I suppose we will just have to lay blame on Dastardly and Mutley again.

Oh btw Patrick. I did, in the extreme. Do you know just like Glen I used to be big headed .... but I'm perfect now. :tu:

Your argument could apply to any player in any team in the world.

The fact is, we have the divisions top scorer in our team. Only a fool would complain about that or argue for his removal.

JR is an enigma. Premier league quality in the box, Conference level out of it. No one can even begin to argue with that either.

£8m is an awful lot of money when one considers under GB we've picked up Evans, Cairney, Gestede, Spurr and Taylor for an absolute fraction of that. And I have to wonder what GB could do with that money?

Faced with losing those lads or losing JR in the transfer window it's a pretty easy choice to make, although I suggest some on here will maintain that JR is good enough to play in a 7 man team and still score the winner.

And that's what you're up against on here these days if you want a decent debate. It's died a death alongside our club over the last few years as many have walked away leaving only?

I blame comprehensive education personally. Everybody knew it wouldn't work at the time. When you look at oureducational standings in the world it's introduction has done a great and irreperable disservice to this country

I've made 75 posts out of a total of 1331. That means 1256 posts are from other people. Stuart, who argues against my views has made more posts than me. For every six posts I make, you make one post to tell me to shut the f.up. In fact, I think every post you've made has been to tell me to do just that. You don't like the conversation, but keep posting, why?

I think the mods could do with a bit of help Aggy.

75 posts, isn't that a bit excessive to illustrate your opinion.

I post one after every six of yours, I guess that's how many it takes to wear me down before I feel the need to respond.

Can you quote me the post where I've told you to 'shut the feck up'

75 posts, isn't that a bit excessive to illustrate your opinion.

I post one after every six of yours, I guess that's how many it takes to wear me down before I feel the need to respond.

Can you quote me the post where I've told you to 'shut the feck up'

It was a good and relevant discussion Aggy when first muted about 12 months ago. Me and those around me had been talking about it way before it was ever mentioned on here. Seems now you are either a Rhodes hater or lover and the discussion has subsequently been lost in the discussing!

On 31st July, Andy Cryer reported that we'd already made enquiries about Rhodes before the Fleetwood friendly and Best's injury: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/9846021.Rovers_target_two_as_Best_ruled_out_for_six_months/

On 3rd August, we then signed Etuhu, who you've name as one of the signings criticised before you recommended Rhodes to Singh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19114011

So maybe you want to revise your version of events?

On 31st July, Andy Cryer reported that we'd already made enquiries about Rhodes before the Fleetwood friendly and Best's injury: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/9846021.Rovers_target_two_as_Best_ruled_out_for_six_months/

On 3rd August, we then signed Etuhu, who you've name as one of the signings criticised before you recommended Rhodes to Singh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19114011

So maybe you want to revise your version of events?

You can't kid the kid who kiddied Billy The Kid.

Archived