BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

You can't tell who could step up as a goal scorer. Ings had 4 last season and nobody thought he'd score the goals to replace Austin but he has.

Well, we've got Gestede, Campbell and Best waiting in the wings. I'm not convinced Ricky.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im at a complete loss to explain this argument. Bowyer said we needed a big presence up top because in some games it gives us other options. Well, he was bang on the money. We signed one and in one of those aforementioned scenarios it paid dividends. So what exactly are some folk demanding? That we ditch all other options or that those who have questioned Rhodes receive apologies? Because it would seem pretty logical to me that the balance of options is the real key in any future success. Just ask West Ham fans what it feels like to only have one effective means of attack. We are fortunate to have the options of Rhodes and Gestede. Sometimes one will come up trumps and sometimes the other will. Sometimes neither will. So what are we to do when that happens? Goodness knows what we'll find to talk about.

Nothing wrong with this PV. Gestede is a good acquistion I reckon. You must be aware, however, that some posters are suggesting that selling Rhodes may not be such a bad idea as it would allow us to strengthen the team in other areas.

Nothing wrong with this PV. Gestede is a good acquistion I reckon. You must be aware, however, that some posters are suggesting that selling Rhodes may not be such a bad idea as it would allow us to strengthen the team in other areas.

You're only ever as good as your strikers though Tony. Selling Rhodes and strengthening elsewhere is all well and good, but we still need someone to stick it in the back of the net. And jr seems to have a handy knack of doing just that.

Not to mention, when faced with the opportunity to wipe off 20% of the clubs debt with the fee we'd receive, our owners would probably chose not to invest that back into the playing staff. Wasn't Rhodes a 'cherry on top' signing anyway? A gift from Balaji? Who's to say he won't want that money back. Who hasn't chucked 20 quid to a homeless person on a night out and woken up the next day examining the empty wallet and wishing they'd only given a fiver?

Rhodes is a goalsoring phenomenon and we should appreciate the fact as long as he is here.

Sums it up in a nutshell that for me. If we don't get promoted this season (highly likely) then I think the era of big money signings and watching players of exceptional quality at Ewood is pretty much over. We may have to live on the memory of Rhodes' goals for quite a while, so like you say lets enjoy it while we can. That goal he scored against Palace at home last season reminded me strongly of the days of Shearer/Cole.

If we can't put the ball in the net, nothing else matters.

Rhodes 16

Spurr 2

Dunn. 2

Best. 2

Cairney. 1

King. 1

Marshall. 1

Kane. 1

Evans. 1

Lowe. 1

Gestede. 1

Campbell. 0

Rhodes is a goalsoring phenomenon and we should appreciate the fact as long as he is here. It has been mentioned that he sccored more goals than anyone in England in 2013 - he achieved a similar feat in 2011-12 when he scored 36 in the league. Geatade may make him even more effective but he scored 7 in 55 for Cardiff.

We can be a better team without him Tony. That was proven last Saturday. You don't need a 25 goals/season player to win games, you need a good "team" Take Saturdays "team", with that level of performance and add another £8m or £10m worth of talent and we would win more games than we currently do. Don't you think?

Jordan Rhodes isn't a necessity and some folk won't recognise that. In fact, his weaknesses are detrimental to the "team" - as anyone's weaknesses are. Heck, until recently most of his groupies wouldn't even have him subbed.

We can be a better team without him Tony. That was proven last Saturday. You don't need a 25 goals/season player to win games, you need a good "team" Take Saturdays team, with that level of performance and add another £8m or £10m worth of talent and we would win more games than we currently do. Don't you think?

Jordan Rhodes isn't a necessity and some folk won't recognise that.

So you would replace the player who guarantees 20 plus goals a season him with a combination of players (and their combined wages) who may or may not provide a similar tally?

So you would replace the player who guarantees 20 plus goals a season him with a combination of players (and their combined wages) who may or may not provide a similar tally?

If we "had" to sell him, unlike some fans, I wouldn't think it was the end of the world. Obviously assuming that the manager got that money to reinvest, then spent wisely we could be better than we currently are. Again, if it was frittered away, we would suffer. I think that's basically what some people have been saying for a long time. Didn't the Man City game show that it's the "team" performance that matters, not any individual? Ask Gordon Strachan about it.

If we "had" to sell him, unlike some fans, I wouldn't think it was the end of the world. Obviously assuming that the manager got that money to reinvest, then spent wisely we could be better than we currently are. Again, if it was frittered away, we would suffer. I think that's basically what some people have been saying for a long time. Didn't the Man City game show that it's the "team" performance that matters, not any individual? Ask Gordon Strachan about it.

If we had to sell him, particularly to a Championship club, it would be a severe blow and tantamount to running up the white flag. Any money reinvested would gave to be on players who could hit the ground running and we aren't in the market for those type of players no matter how much of a potential Rhodes fee was made available to Gary Bowyer.

This week I've heard a player and a manager say words to the effect of 'you've always got a chance if you've got a goalscorer'. It's season over if we sell Rhodes.

If we had to sell him, particularly to a Championship club, it would be a severe blow and tantamount to running up the white flag. Any money reinvested would gave to be on players who could hit the ground running and we aren't in the market for those type of players no matter how much of a potential Rhodes fee was made available to Gary Bowyer.

That's got nothing to do with my comments Chris. I said if we could reinvest wisely, we could be better.

Yes, or no?

This week I've heard a player and a manager say words to the effect of 'you've always got a chance if you've got a goalscorer'. It's season over if we sell Rhodes.

Season over? Really? So if Rhodes gets injured....

Worrying with debts of 50+million and a hugely bloated squad that we have seemingly only got one player?

This week I've heard a player and a manager say words to the effect of 'you've always got a chance if you've got a goalscorer'.

He was wrong. You've got a chance if all eleven players perform well, as we saw last weekend.

This has been done to death but there really is no 'i' in team.

Tell me chris just supposing we manage to get promoted what do we do with JR then? We'd have to sell him cos he'd be useless up there and a liability to boot.

That's got nothing to do with my comments Chris. I said if we could reinvest wisely, we could be better.

Yes, or no?

Yes. So how would we invest wisely Den? What sort of players would be attracted to Rovers? What sort of players would an investment of of say £4m get us? A guaranteed 20 plus goals?

This has been done to death but there really is no 'i' in team.

Tell me chris just supposing we manage to get promoted what do we do with JR then? We'd have to sell him cos he'd be useless up there and a liability.

His progression from League 2, to International football to Championship would say otherwise. I cant comment on his all round game because, as you would no doubt point out, I don't see live games. I do however, see how many goals he scores. Liability? Deary me. What wins games?

• Backroom

Yes. So how would we invest wisely Den? What sort of players would be attracted to Rovers? What sort of players would an investment of of say £4m get us? A guaranteed 20 plus goals?

Bellamy? Santa Cruz? McCarthy? Yakubu?

Edit: Btw, I'm not saying I'd sell him. I'd rather keep him (assuming we get promoted) and see how he does up there. Especially as recently he's actually starting to show that he CAN rough up defenders when needed. If he begins to do that on a consistent basis, then him and Gestede could be a decent partnership up in the PL as well as down here.

If we were to sell him, we may end up trying the Bolton method of having the targetman (Gestede) provide for the oncoming midfielders. It certainly worked vs City.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if we sold Rhodes BUT I'd still rather hang on tbh.

His progression from League 2, to International football to Championship would say otherwise. I cant comment on his all round game because, as you would no doubt point out, I don't see live games. I do however, see how many goals he scores. Liability? Deary me. What wins games?

Weakerv teams in the Premier league have no room for tart liners. Berbatov is way way better than JR and yet he is getting much of the criticism for Fulham's problems this season.

The fact that you don't go explains much. We have been priviledged to have seen the likes of Shearer, Newell, Sutton, Jansen, Bellamy, RSC, BennyMac, Cole etc etc at BRFC. All different strengths and styles but believe me we do know what a top Prem striker is about.

Yes. So how would we invest wisely Den?

Well done Chris, you're the first one to accept that we could be better. The others, even after seeing the City game can't contemplate it.

It's a start. :)

No pol, the criteria is now that we judge everything on one FA cup game, not something ridiculous like proven past history or consistent performances.

Hee hee.

Haven't you seen him "just the once", when you came back to tell us that all your mates were right about Rhodes and no-one on here had a clue?

Weakerv teams in the Premier league have no room for tart liners. Berbatov is way way better than JR and yet he is getting much of the criticism for Fulham's problems this season.

The fact that you don't go explains much. We have been priviledged to have seen the likes of Shearer, Newell, Sutton, Jansen, Bellamy, RSC, BennyMac, Cole etc etc at BRFC. All different strengths and styles but believe me we do know what a top Prem striker is about.

The debate seems to have been diverted from the assertion that we might be better off without Rhodes and replacing him with a number of players to whether or not he is Premiership class. I cant really comment on anything but his goals but every time he's made the step up the goals have kept coming. Whose to say that wouldn't happen in the Premiership? If Ricky Lambert and Jay Rodriguez can score goals at Premiership level Rodes can.

It does beggar belief the stick he gets on here from some. I think it may be down to him being regarded as a 'Shebby' signing. Suffice to say I would rather have his twenty plus goals guaranteed, in the bank than the prospect of a few middling to bargain basement signings striving to do same.

The only people diverting the debate are the ones responding to Den. Rhodes is a liability is in the reply and yet Den hasn't said that once.

You read things that aren't written, make extremely rude assumptions over his meaning without confirmation and retort to words in your heads not in the question posed. It's little wonder debate has died a death at Uni's, the tories and labour have a lot to answer for.

Could we be a better team without rhodes, becomes rhodes is a liability?

I am looking forward to the Doncaster game on Saturday, and one of the reasons is to see Rhodes.

Shearer was probably the last Rovers player who was such a natural finisher. Some of the goals he has scored this season have been a pleasure to watch.

As others have said, we are lucky to have him and should enjoy him while we can.

The only people diverting the debate are the ones responding to Den. Rhodes is a liability is in the reply and yet Den hasn't said that once.

You read things that aren't written, make extremely rude assumptions over his meaning without confirmation and retort to words in your heads not in the question posed. It's little wonder debate has died a death at Uni's, the tories and labour have a lot to answer for.

Could we be a better team without rhodes, becomes rhodes is a liability?

Thenodrog called him a liability. Where have I been rude? Wind your neck in.

Well done Chris, you're the first one to accept that we could be better. The others, even after seeing the City game can't contemplate it.

It's a start. :)

Your argument could apply to any player in any team in the world.

The fact is, we have the divisions top scorer in our team. Only a fool would complain about that or argue for his removal.

I think you made a throwaway comment weeks ago and are boring the pants off everyone by keep trying to back it up using a different angle every week.

Maybe your just on a massive wind up.

City fans here at work were @#/? scared when Rhodes came on and are hoping he's not playing on weds.

Rhodes = goals = wins

• Backroom

Hee hee.

Haven't you seen him "just the once", when you came back to tell us that all your mates were right about Rhodes and no-one on here had a clue?

Seen him plenty of times pal. Top player. There are plenty of people on here who have a clue, but I have to question anybody who bases their opinion on a single game as opposed to an entire season's worth of performances.

• Moderation Lead

It's like Den was waiting for Rhodes to not play so he could dine out on it- he's scored half of our goals since he arrived.

Getting tiresome to read criticism of our top goalscorer, whatever his shortcomings- 42 goals in 73 appearances should be praised, not slated.

Archived