BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

So did 19 other teams,and 3 of those got promoted too..... all without JR. However did they manage eh? :huh:

I've been thinking about this.

With the total shambles at our club, amateurish,poor management, unmotivated high earners, instability etc, we would have been doomed...without JR's goals.

However, with a proper, stable, planned-rather than Shebby Singh-approach, we may well have used £8 million differently to have a much better balanced squad. Also, had we not peed away so much on Murphy, Etuhu and the "ghosts" from Portugal and compensation, we may have been able to assemble an automatic promotion squad...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the total shambles at our club, amateurish,poor management, unmotivated high earners, instability etc, we would have been doomed...without JR's goals.

However, with a proper, stable, planned-rather than Shebby Singh-approach, we may well have used £8 million differently to have a much better balanced squad. Also, had we not peed away so much on Murphy, Etuhu and the "ghosts" from Portugal and compensation, we may have been able to assemble an automatic promotion squad...

Having peed away the dosh, it makes sense to wee with the willie we have, unless some Sheik yer money decides to off load a truck full in our direction

(1) I take your point on strikers coming at a premium but the 5 top scorers so far this season have cost £9.3m all together. Eight of which we spent on Rhodes.

Ings - £1m

Rhodes - £8m

McCormack £315,000

Nugent -Free

Chris Martin - Free

(2) It's not been worth it unless he gets us promoted or we sell him on for a profit. Otherwise as far I see it, it can count as another mistake in the Venkys catalogue which could easily have been avoided with proper management of the club. How can £8m be justified without the financial catapult of the PL?

(3) That whole paragraph just highlights what a complete shambles this club was at that time. I've made numerous comment on here about how that money should have been spent;

- Sack the manager

- Appoint a competent board with the best interests of the club at heart

- Carry out a proper managerial search with ultimately the best man being appointed

- Draw up a realistic transfer wishlist, reflecting the finances at the time - also pinpointing the weaknesses in the squad.

- Tentatively enquire about Rhodes, offer £3m maximum and if rejected, move on to other targets.

I'm constantly reminded by people that Rhodes was some kind of gift from Balaji. If he was proper owner his gift could have been Premier League stability - not some Roy of the Rovers champion to lift onto our shoulders when he got us promoted.

There you go again, being wise with the benefit of hindsight and producing a list of players after they've done well! Genius! How do you pick them beforehand is rather more pertinent.

And the fact we paid 8m for Rhodes is still as irrelevant as it always was as long as we can make a profit on him which presently would be rhe case.

And the fact we paid 8m for Rhodes is still as irrelevant as it always was as long as we can make a profit on him which presently would be rhe case.

Are you sure about that Simon? Even the Preston hairdresser told me that Rhodes is not good enough for the Premier League, so if thats the case who the hell do you think will give us our money back on him?

Are you sure about that Simon? Even the Preston hairdresser told me that Rhodes is not good enough for the Premier League, so if thats the case who the hell do you think will give us our money back on him?

Please say we are stuck with Rhodes

pretty please

So did 19 other teams,and 3 of those got promoted too..... all without JR. However did they manage eh? :huh:

We just scraped through because of Rhodes and you know it. Why do you always have to be so obtuse.

I think we all know that without Rhodes there would have been no £8million.

If he gets us to the Premier League he will have more than paid back his cost.

Oh well if Lawro thinks it, it must be right........

In answer to your question, anyone from about 6th downward in the Premiership would like to have him I'd imagine Gordon. But if we hold out for 15m plus, then many middling Premiership sides probably couldn't afford him.

Hopefully.

There you go again, being wise with the benefit of hindsight and producing a list of players after they've done well! Genius! How do you pick them beforehand is rather more pertinent.

:lol: So it takes a genius to work out that spending £8m on a league one player is ridiculous? Very good Simon. Unfortunately I'm not involved within football on a day to day basis, but if 'picking them beforehand' involves paying triple what a player is worth then maybe I could cut the mustard as a manager.

No wonder Huddersfield were laughing at us when we came in with that offer. @#/? halfwits

Would be the case? I'm sorry where have you plucked that assumption from? Thin air perhaps?

Oh well if Lawro thinks it, it must be right........

In answer to your question, anyone from about 6th downward in the Premiership would like to have him I'd imagine Gordon. But if we hold out for 15m plus, then many middling Premiership sides probably couldn't afford him.

Hopefully.

He'll have forgotten more about football than us two put together could ever hope to know. Same with Strachan actually who you often choose to belittle.

This strange, iconoclast argument against Rhodes is quite simply bewildering at times. Even his biggest fans will admit that we paid over the odds for him, but that doesn't disregard his potency in front of goal which has exalted him into one of the hottest strikers in the country. All this talk of sacrificing Rhodes for the greater good, presumably so Gestede (whose record makes Jason Roberts look prolific) can spearhead our attack is incredible, and I suspect most of its advocates have tongue firmly planted in cheek.

:lol: So it takes a genius to work out that spending £8m on a league one player is ridiculous? Very good Simon. Unfortunately I'm not involved within football on a day to day basis, but if 'picking them beforehand' involves paying triple what a player is worth then maybe I could cut the mustard as a manager.p

No wonder Huddersfield were laughing at us when we came in with that offer. keaning halfwits

Would be the case? I'm sorry where have you plucked that assumption from? Thin air perhaps?

As you weren't party to the negotiations you don't know:

a) That we could have landed him for less. We're not going to pay 8m for him if we could have got him for 4 or 5m. It was probably 8m or nothing. We chose to pay it and it was a grest success in anyone 's book apart from yours and den's. Shame the other 16 signings were so disastrous.

b ) For the 2 or 3 Championship strikers whose record bears any sort of comparison with Rhodes there must be at least 30 whose record doesn't. Tell you what in summer , you can have the pick of any one striker who's moved for 1.5 m or less to a Championship Club and we'll see how their record stacks up against Rhodes' 28 goals last season and whatever he scores this. We'll see how easy it is to spot a prolific goalscorer then.

As you weren't party to the negotiations you don't know:

a) That we could have landed him for less. We're not going to pay 8m for him if we could have got him for 4 or 5m. It was probably 8m or nothing. We chose to pay it and it was a grest success in anyone 's book apart from yours and den's. Shame the other 16 signings were so disastrous.

b ) For the 2 or 3 Championship strikers whose record bears any sort of comparison with Rhodes there must be at least 30 whose record doesn't. Tell you what in summer , you can have the pick of any one striker who's moved for 1.5 m or less to a Championship Club and we'll see how their record stacks up against Rhodes' 28 goals last season and whatever he scores this. We'll see how easy it is to spot a prolific goalscorer then.

Nothing then - move on. No doubt, paying £8m for a player when a club has just been relegated (thus losing millions in tv revenue) and is already paying PL wages is a disaster waiting to happen. It made as little sense to me as buying Best, Murphy and Etuhu. Thankfully, and fair play to him - Rhodes has done well. That does not excuse the fact that buying him, until we achieve promotion, was in itself a mistake.

So you're telling me, I have to scout each one of these players, track their performances and consider their various skills/weaknesses so that I can tell you which one I think will do well. You are basically asking me to do the job of a full time scout in order to partake in this message board discussion? An odd demand, and something that I probably would be unable to do given the time restrictions of my full time job already.

Tomphil said 'goalscorers come at a premium'. Something I was happy to argue, and actually have done in the past. You dismissed my past Championship scorers list -the most expensive of which, cost about £1.5m because it didn't correspond well with your argument that, with hindsight you would sign Rhodes again for the same money. Absurd.

Nothing then - move on. No doubt, paying £8m for a player when a club has just been relegated (thus losing millions in tv revenue) and is already paying PL wages is a disaster waiting to happen. It made as little sense to me as buying Best, Murphy and Etuhu. Thankfully, and fair play to him - Rhodes has done well. That does not excuse the fact that buying him, until we achieve promotion, was in itself a mistake.

So you're telling me, I have to scout each one of these players, track their performances and consider their various skills/weaknesses so that I can tell you which one I think will do well. You are basically asking me to do the job of a full time scout in order to partake in this message board discussion? An odd demand, and something that I probably would be unable to do given the time restrictions of my full time job already.

Tomphil said 'goalscorers come at a premium'. Something I was happy to argue, and actually have done in the past. You dismissed my past Championship scorers list -the most expensive of which, cost about £1.5m because it didn't correspond well with your argument that, with hindsight you would sign Rhodes again for the same money. Absurd.

I'm convinced we would be in league 1 without Jordan Rhodes with our performance last season. Therefore I don't believe he was a mistake. Let's be honest we didn't create a lot last year and no other striker would get as many goals as him given the number of chances we create for him.

I'm convinced we would be in league 1 without Jordan Rhodes with our performance last season. Therefore I don't believe he was a mistake. Let's be honest we didn't create a lot last year and no other striker would get as many goals as him given the number of chances we create for him.

We WOULD have been in league one without Rhodes, no doubt about that.

Jimmy and the rest of the detractors have conveniently forgotten that point...

Nuh uh, because Shebby & Kean would've invested Balaji's mythical £8m into an all-star line-up.

Regardless of whether we spent too much on Rhodes, surely people can accept that even if we'd spent £8m elsewhere, there's no guarantee that Venky's/Kean at the time would have spent it wisely. We spent good money on a goalscorer and that's exactly what we got.

I'm not convinced that he'll cut it in the premier league but I'm fairly sure we'll sell him at a profit. PROVEN Goalscorers cost a premium and by and large you get what you pay for. We got lucky with Santa Cruz and McCarthy and they hardly kicked on after a decent season each.

If we don't get promoted I don't think the finger of blame will be pointed at the signing of Rhodes.

Funny thing is - I don't think the deficiencies in his game will be any worse in the Premiership. There are few defenders he can out muscle or out pace in the Championship - so playing against a better calibre will make little difference. If he gets in a team that can create chances for him (whatever level) he will score more than he misses.

• Backroom

No, they just say "you can't prove that". Which is ironic considering their hypothesis that we would be a better team without Rhodes is also based entirely on conjecture rather than any proof.

ImGine if we had sold speedie

What?! sell Speedie and buy some kid from Southampton, who is hardly prolific, for a ridiculous amount of money, shattering the UK record transfer fee in the process?!? Utter madness, Dalglish out!

67 pages of Piffle and balderdash

It must be really difficult to decide if the player that has scored more goals than anybody else in the country in the calendar year is worth his place at the club - erm, really tough one that

Archived