BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

Campbell was brilliant in his cameo against City I thought, worthy player to have available.

Almost tempted to lock this now as it's just a circular debate but I don't want to throttle any potential worthwhile debate / discussion

He was also good at Leeds Tom. I suspect Campbell has played his way back in favour, particularly if we can find someone daft enough to part with money and take Best and Rochina off our hands.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I may have over egged the pudding with brilliant but in 15 minutes against City DJ turned a nothing position into a great counter attack with a ball out to Rhodes then got on the end of a good cross by him, drew a defender into a red card and set up good chances for Cairney and Rhodes

If he can continue like that he's a good option

I may have over egged the pudding with brilliant but in 15 minutes against City DJ turned a nothing position into a great counter attack with a ball out to Rhodes then got on the end of a good cross by him, drew a defender into a red card and set up good chances for Cairney and Rhodes

If he can continue like that he's a good option

Hes actually not half bad Tom. I think, like Best, he has struggled to get over the fact his game needs to change dramatically if he is to play alongside the best goal scorer we have on our books. He can't just hit the positions where he has had success before because Rhodes does the same. Personally speaking I think we haven't seen the best of Campbell. He can still be a decent option for us. I just wish he'd show more of the experience he showed against City rather than the @#/? we've seen against Blackpool for instance. If he is willing to do the donkey work for Rhodes then he has a level of technique and ability to do ok at this level.

• Backroom

DJ definitely has the ability but has been hampered by injuries. The latest scandal hasn't helped. He can play his part, no question about that, but he'll need a consistent run in the team to do it and I can't see that being given to him at the moment.

I remember when Rhodes came on the radar ,rovers had done their summer shopping .

The AG met with Singh , and tore shreads of their summer business which had seen the likes of Murphy , Etuhu , Gomes and god knows how many Portuguese come through the door .

I remember clearly the conversations that Championship football is not child's play and with the departure of Yakubu the team lacked any threat in attack or a man capable of scoring 20 goals plus .

It was at this point we suggested Jordan Rhodes , who Singh had never heard of , in fact he wasn't sure what country Hudderfield was in .

Following the Fleetwood friendly , When Best got injured , the chase for Rhodes started , which at many times would of ended had encouragement to sign him not been forthcoming . Huddersfield turned bid after bid down , Kean was trying to get Cox, DJ and Chopra in as alternatives , I remember telling Singh dig in on Rhodes as Rovers would get their man the closer the window came to closing .

Venky's had no plan to spend any money on a striker , but would of took a short term fix on the previous mentioned . Our transfer budget was spent , however they made an exception on Rhodes as he was sold to them on , he is a minimum 20 goal a season player , young enough to make a profit on should Rovers fail to get promotion. £8 million was never part of the plan , as £4 million was the figure banded around in football circles , however when the crunch came , with other clubs also after him, Huddersfield held all the keys and Rovers had to offer more than Premiership clubs were willing to pay to get their man .( there was serious premiership interest)

I think beyond reasonable doubt , he has more than justified the additional spend with his scoring exploits and Rovers if they chose to sell would at least get their money back .

The moral of this story is Rovers were so dis functional the only thing they got right was to chase a player recommended by supporters rather than stupid greedy agents.

Should Rhodes now be sold at least the manager is choosing the targets based on football

I always wonder where Shebby got his target who was Rhodes from.

Fair play to you Glen for suggesting Rhodes to Shebby.

I remember at the time that Kean wanted Cox and Chopra.

The meeting took place the day of Danny Murphy's press conference , at this point Etuhu's pending arrival was already known, not publicly I may add

Both Cryer and Nixon originally rubbished the link via twitter , throughout the transfer both also stated it wouldn't happen and the chase was indeed over as rovers had moved on to other targets .

Rovers initial enquiries were knocked back as quick as they went in .

Best injury was indeed the catalyst for rovers to raise their bids .

On another note this transfer would not have been £8 million had 2 agents not been used to broker the deal .

On scouting , it's common knowledge that Rhodes was scouted by half the league including Rovers whose scouting system is very good . However during the dark Kean/Anderson days , scouting was often ignored as agents brokered rovers deals . I'm sure Rovers would of used all their scouting network information before brokering this deal

However back to the point , the main point of the post was the Manager is now picking the targets based in scouting and tried and tested methods. Meaning should Rhodes be sold , then it would be Bowyer who chooses the replacements based on football rather than an agent someone else.

The post was also to show how far the club has moved on from just 12 months ago when it was open season at Rovers on the amount of influence the owners were actually having on the running of the club

who are these 2 agents that broker the deal?

When Kean took over as manager we had a excellent scouting system with Martyn Glover as Chief scout. but this wasn't used much to the great shame. plus that Summer Glover left to join Sam Allardyce at West Ham.

I would agree that Bowyer has put together a good scouting system in place now. think Des Taylor is now in charge of this now. we need to be scouting players and getting reports of players not using agents recommending players to us. basing our signings of scout reports

But most important that Bowyer is in full control of transfers and playing side of the club with no one interfering at all

He was on for just a few minutes against City and drawing a red card is not an attribute in my book. Don't like seeing players sent off unless they really try to hurt somebody.

I've made 75 posts out of a total of 1331. That means 1256 posts are from other people. Stuart, who argues against my views has made more posts than me. For every six posts I make, you make one post to tell me to shut the f.up. In fact, I think every post you've made has been to tell me to do just that. You don't like the conversation, but keep posting, why?

I think the mods could do with a bit of help Aggy.

I've made 1 (now 2) out of a total of 1413 (now 1414).

My first one said "if only" to your best post in this thread, on December 21st at 1757 on page 57 - you said "this is my final, final post on the subject."

After which you've made 20 more posts. Just saying. If you want to throw meaningless stats around in a discussion, then be prepared to have similar thrown back at you. Neither will win an argument.

Neither will this question, but it helps the context. You said 4 weeks ago you'd made your "final, final post on the subject" but 20 posts later we need to know - you keep posting, why?

Now to address the real issue. Jordan Rhodes is the best striker in this division. I don't care what he might or might not do in a different team or another division, or with different players around him. I don't care who paid for him, or how they paid for him. I don't care what any sell on clause is, or how it might be triggered.

He scores goals for Blackburn Rovers - with our current manager, in the league we're in, with the teammates he has.

To try and make a case that to swap Rhodes for imaginary transfer revenue, which might then sign imaginary players that *may* better what we already have on the pitch AND on the bench, and *may* create an imaginary utopia which via a transfer-driven magic carpet into a promotion place is absolutely barmy.

Our best recent manager said you wee with the willy you have. If anyone needs to understand that comment right here and right now - it's supporters like you Den.

My first one said "if only" to your best post in this thread, on December 21st at 1757 on page 57 - you said "this is my final, final post on the subject."

After which you've made 20 more posts. Just saying. If you want to throw meaningless stats around in a discussion, then be prepared to have similar thrown back at you. Neither will win an argument.

Neither will this question, but it helps the context. You said 4 weeks ago you'd made your "final, final post on the subject" but 20 posts later we need to know - you keep posting, why?

Now to address the real issue. Jordan Rhodes is the best striker in this division. I don't care what he might or might not do in a different team or another division, or with different players around him. I don't care who paid for him, or how they paid for him. I don't care what any sell on clause is, or how it might be triggered.

He scores goals for Blackburn Rovers - with our current manager, in the league we're in, with the teammates he has.

To try and make a case that to swap Rhodes for imaginary transfer revenue, which might then sign imaginary players that *may* better what we already have on the pitch AND on the bench, and *may* create an imaginary utopia which via a transfer-driven magic carpet into a promotion place is absolutely barmy.

Our best recent manager said you wee with the willy you have. If anyone needs to understand that comment right here and right now - it's supporters like you Den.

Souness is our "best recent manager"? What are you on? That accolade belongs to Mark Hughes.

Souness is our "best recent manager"? What are you on? That accolade belongs to Mark Hughes.

Nah. Close second but Souness (before his issues) was our best, and most successful, since Kenny.

IMHO.

Nah. Close second but Souness (before his issues) was our best, and most successful, since Kenny.

IMHO.

Before leaving us in a complete mess that was almost unrecoverable? That squad he left us with was horrendous. Dickov up front on his own.

He did a very good job, but he also did a very poor one in the last few years. Not to mention the money he squandered along the way.

Hughes took a club nailed on for relegation and made us a cash cow. Unfortunately that money was frittered away by various managers and dodgy agents. Make no mistake about it, what Hughes did for this club was remarkable.

Well we saw definitive proof last night, not that we needed any, that Campbell is absolutely useless, can't hold the ball up and never looks remotely like scoring no matter who the opposition is

Good song last night from the fans re: Rhodes, apologies if it's been posted before:

(To the tune of achey breaky heart)

Don't sell my Rhodes

My super Jordan Rhodes

I don't quite think you understand

That if you sell my Rhodes

My super Jordan Rhodes

You're gonna have a riot on your hands!.

Your post is way wrong on a number of counts...

If you mean Souness then he was a mile off being our best recent manager. He left the club in an absolutely dire state. Compare him with Hughes who left the club with half a dozen players worth 50 million quid!

As for the rest of your post for all JR's goals we have not been in the frame for promotion for well over a year. Have you considered that we have picked up Cairney, Evans, Marshall, Taylor, King, Spurr and Gestede for much much less than JR's transfer fee?

IMHO.

I trust for your own good that you leave the household budget to your missus Stu. ^_^

Before leaving us in a complete mess that was almost unrecoverable? That squad he left us with was horrendous. Dickov up front on his own.

Don't forget he also left Steadinho.... as some of the less enlightend on here referred to him. :wstu:

Well we saw definitive proof last night, not that we needed any, that Campbell is absolutely useless, can't hold the ball up and never looks remotely like scoring no matter who the opposition is

Good song last night from the fans re: Rhodes, apologies if it's been posted before:

Don't sell my Rhodes

My super Jordan Rhodes

My super Jordan Rhodes

Stolen from Cardiff fans who in turn had stolen it from Celtic fans!

• Backroom

Don't sell my Rhodes

My super Jordan Rhodes

My super Jordan Rhodes

We were playing Manchester City you can't just discount the quality of the opposition

He was crap though but I imagine JR would have been similar just with the added threat of a goal if the ball dropped right, it was a game for a bruiser.

Shall we ignore the proof in other games that DJ actually isn't useless merely a decent squad player? He isn't going to be forcing Rhodes or Rudy out but options are essential in the run in.

If someone says that's their last word on the subject and then everyone replies to him, guess what he's going to do? That's right reply. So you sit there berating Den for doing so and yet your own actions are the cause of another post.

Perhaps you should consider your own actions in things as every word you have used against Den is in fact against yourself as you cause the very thing you do not desire.

Whats the term for someone like that?

Archived