BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

Seen him plenty of times pal. Top player. There are plenty of people on here who have a clue, but I have to question anybody who bases their opinion on a single game as opposed to an entire season's worth of performances.

Wasn't the Leeds & Brum second half just as good, with Rhodes.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Wasn't the Leeds & Brum second half just as good, with Rhodes.

Absolutely :) and what made it so was Rhodes beginning to bully defenders a bit more. I'd hang on to him if he keeps that attitude up on top of scoring goals.

• Backroom

Absolutely staggering to hear people (like Mike) say they'd "hang onto" Rhodes, like he's some kind of utility player.

43 goals in 68 games.

I don't mean it in that tone haha. I would absolutely keep Rhodes ofc, but I'm talking as if some bid of £15m came in. Even then I'd keep him and only consider summer bids.

That's got nothing to do with my comments Chris. I said if we could reinvest wisely, we could be better.

Yes, or no?

This logic has too many variables though den. You can't take them for granted for the sake of the argument.

The same logic could have been used when we got new owners. I wonder if the Trust members use the same logic to help themselves sleep at night?

"Well new owners could have been the best thing that ever happened to the club. If they had any business sense and if they didn't make enemies of the fans and if they didn't use agents as advisors then things could have been so different. Its not my fault it all turned sour. There was a chance it might have been better and as such my conscience is clean."

Yes we could sell Rhodes and invest the whole lot into other areas of the squad and each and every one of those investments could be astonishingly good. But in reality they almost certainly wouldn't be. Yes it might not be as bad as the change in ownership turned out to be, but equally there is every chance the players we'd buy to improve the side would still fall well short.

I guess it comes down to what you are happy with. I've heard lots of people getting criticised for suggesting there was better alternatives to Allardyce and it turned out there wasn't. I've heard lots of people getting criticised for suggesting new owners would be better than dying a slow death under the Trust. And now i hear people getting criticised for supporting a very prolific striker who is the envy of the division. For me, his goals mean he has earned my support. Whats more, the signing of Gestede looks like we might get the best of both worlds.

I don't mean it in that tone haha. I would absolutely keep Rhodes ofc, but I'm talking as if some bid of £15m came in. Even then I'd keep him and only consider summer bids.

8m in getting money back ... 7m in the VENKYSCUM. Back pocket .

Goal Scorers go, new ones appear. Look through the history of most clubs and a goal scorer leaves and you think you will never replace them, but then a new one appears.

**Not saying get rid before anyone has a meltdown, just pointing out no matter what, somebody else will appear and be 'that' guy

• Backroom

Goal Scorers go, new ones appear. Look through the history of most clubs and a goal scorer leaves and you think you will never replace them, but then a new one appears.

**Not saying get rid before anyone has a meltdown, just pointing out no matter what, somebody else will appear and be 'that' guy

Make him sound like a pokemon but you're right haha.

Shearer to Gallacher to Jansen to Cole to Bellamy to McCarthy to Santa Cruz to Yakubu to Rhodes. We've been blessed really.

Don't understand why anyone thinks selling JR for footballing reasons could be a positive thing. He is a natural goal scorer. He does what he gets paid to do unlike the other big names.

Admittedly he hasn't contributed much in quite a number of games IMO but we ain't exactly built a team around him, plays with little support although that may change with a presence beside him.

Can we be sure if we sell JR for x amount that all of that will be invested in the team. I certainly don't, without JR I don't think we would get promoted, and more importantly the message that sends out to the rest of the players would be negative,

I'm sure in our limited amateur careers we have all played with goal scorers and can acknowledge the boost it gives you in close games, knowing just one chance and you could get a goal.

We have several posters on here that would :wacko:

Not as easy as that Gavlar.

There are all kinds of reasons why we could, and perhaps should of sold Rhodes in the summer. In fact I actually said that if anyone came in with between £8-10m AND most or all of that could be reinvested into the squad then I would have done it for the sake of creating a stronger squad capable of challenging.

Personally I wouldn't sell him in January unless it's £12m or more I don't think. We don't have time to spend the money without panicking a little bit, and even then would the players brought in gel in time? This next couple of months is a crucial time of the season - we will begin to see the prominent teams pushing to make the play-offs.

Can Rhodes be the difference in helping us in this push? I 100% believe he can.

Is he replaceable in the summer if the money is given to Bowyer to spend wisely - Yes imo he is.

This isn't as black and white as 'some want him sold, others don't.' There are arguments to both sides.

I'm just @#/? off we paid £8m for him when there were far more glaring problems at the club that needed to be addressed, and furthermore our finances were/are in complete disrepair

Goal scorers come at a premium and we paid for what we got. The thing is with the 8 mill yes we overpaid at the time but it's turned out to be worth it and one of the only things they've got right. Just imagine the hooraah on here if he'd flopped like Best etc. There is no guarantee that we'd have spent 8 million on other players anyway. It wasn't as if there was a budget of that to be spent as it seems more likely they went in for Rhodes then didn't like being turned down stubborn Venky style so kept at it till they got him. If Singh/Shaw or god forbid coco had gone to them and said i want this player for 4 mill & that player for 4 mill would they have sanctioned that, would they balls like.

This has been done to death but there really is no 'i' in team.

Tell me chris just supposing we manage to get promoted what do we do with JR then? We'd have to sell him cos he'd be useless up there and a liability to boot.

If we have that problem we will be happy to sort it out Gord.

Not as easy as that Gavlar.

There are all kinds of reasons why we could, and perhaps should of sold Rhodes in the summer. In fact I actually said that if anyone came in with between £8-10m AND most or all of that could be reinvested into the squad then I would have done it for the sake of creating a stronger squad capable of challenging.

Personally I wouldn't sell him in January unless it's £12m or more I don't think. We don't have time to spend the money without panicking a little bit, and even then would the players brought in gel in time? This next couple of months is a crucial time of the season - we will begin to see the prominent teams pushing to make the play-offs.

Can Rhodes be the difference in helping us in this push? I 100% believe he can.

Is he replaceable in the summer if the money is given to Bowyer to spend wisely - Yes imo he is.

This isn't as black and white as 'some want him sold, others don't.' There are arguments to both sides.

I'm just keaned off we paid £8m for him when there were far more glaring problems at the club that needed to be addressed, and furthermore our finances were/are in complete disrepair

Point well made Jimbo, but you simply don't sell a player that scores goals for fun, they don't grow on trees.

(1) Goal scorers come at a premium and we paid for what we got. The thing is with the 8 mill yes (2) we overpaid at the time but it's turned out to be worth it and one of the only things they've got right. Just imagine the hooraah on here if he'd flopped like Best etc. There is no guarantee that we'd have spent 8 million on other players anyway. (3) It wasn't as if there was a budget of that to be spent as it seems more likely they went in for Rhodes then didn't like being turned down stubborn Venky style so kept at it till they got him. If Singh/Shaw or god forbid coco had gone to them and said i want this player for 4 mill & that player for 4 mill would they have sanctioned that, would they balls like.

(1) I take your point on strikers coming at a premium but the 5 top scorers so far this season have cost £9.3m all together. Eight of which we spent on Rhodes.

Ings - £1m

Rhodes - £8m

McCormack £315,000

Nugent -Free

Chris Martin - Free

(2) It's not been worth it unless he gets us promoted or we sell him on for a profit. Otherwise as far I see it, it can count as another mistake in the Venkys catalogue which could easily have been avoided with proper management of the club. How can £8m be justified without the financial catapult of the PL?

(3) That whole paragraph just highlights what a complete shambles this club was at that time. I've made numerous comment on here about how that money should have been spent;

- Sack the manager

- Appoint a competent board with the best interests of the club at heart

- Carry out a proper managerial search with ultimately the best man being appointed

- Draw up a realistic transfer wishlist, reflecting the finances at the time - also pinpointing the weaknesses in the squad.

- Tentatively enquire about Rhodes, offer £3m maximum and if rejected, move on to other targets.

I'm constantly reminded by people that Rhodes was some kind of gift from Balaji. If he was proper owner his gift could have been Premier League stability - not some Roy of the Rovers champion to lift onto our shoulders when he got us promoted.

Point well made Jimbo, but you simply don't sell a player that scores goals for fun, they don't grow on trees.

You could argue if they dont grow on tree's then other teams would be falling over themselves to bid for Rhodes and his value would be astronomical. There is no right or wrong in this mamoth debate, most posters have a good point on this one way or another

Maybe you should make that statement to Sean Dyche, I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss this topic with you ^_^

You could argue if they dont grow on tree's then other teams would be falling over themselves to bid for Rhodes and his value would be astronomical. There is no right or wrong in this mamoth debate, most posters have a good point on this one way or another

You submitted your last post on this thread in November FG, don't you remember?

I know where your coming from Jimmy612. What i'm saying is that people keep debating how that 8 mill could have been better spent and of course there is an argument for it but this just seemed to be a one off signing that has got the owners to sanction it because they got convinced it was a safe bet that's why they agreed to it. If they hadn't been convinced to sigh Rhodes i'm not sure they'd even have signed anybody else except perhaps another over the hill big wages freebie. Or coco would have convinced them to pay over the odds for Cox perhaps.

I know where your coming from Jimmy612. What i'm saying is that people keep debating how that 8 mill could have been better spent and of course there is an argument for it but this just seemed to be a one off signing that has got the owners to sanction it because they got convinced it was a safe bet that's why they agreed to it. If they hadn't been convinced to sigh Rhodes i'm not sure they'd even have signed anybody else except perhaps another over the hill big wages freebie. Or coco would have convinced them to pay over the odds for Cox perhaps.

I agree with you completely and although I see it as a mistake until we are promoted, it is certainly one of the better mistakes they have made!

Again, the bit in bold just signifies what a complete cesspit our club had become before this summer.

Thank the Lord for Gary Bowyer.

(1) I take your point on strikers coming at a premium but the 5 top scorers so far this season have cost £9.3m all together. Eight of which we spent on Rhodes.

Ings - £1m

Rhodes - £8m

McCormack £315,000

Nugent -Free

Chris Martin - Free

(2) It's not been worth it unless he gets us promoted or we sell him on for a profit. Otherwise as far I see it, it can count as another mistake in the Venkys catalogue which could easily have been avoided with proper management of the club. How can £8m be justified without the financial catapult of the PL?

(3) That whole paragraph just highlights what a complete shambles this club was at that time. I've made numerous comment on here about how that money should have been spent;

- Sack the manager

- Appoint a competent board with the best interests of the club at heart

- Carry out a proper managerial search with ultimately the best man being appointed

- Draw up a realistic transfer wishlist, reflecting the finances at the time - also pinpointing the weaknesses in the squad.

- Tentatively enquire about Rhodes, offer £3m maximum and if rejected, move on to other targets.

I'm constantly reminded by people that Rhodes was some kind of gift from Balaji. If he was proper owner his gift could have been Premier League stability - not some Roy of the Rovers champion to lift onto our shoulders when he got us promoted.

It's already been worth it because we avoided relegation last season or has that been forgotten?

Maybe you should make that statement to Sean Dyche, I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss this topic with you ^_^

You'll always find exceptions to the rule Jimmy, but they're in the minority as you know.

Goal scorers come at a premium and we paid for what we got. The thing is with the 8 mill yes we overpaid at the time but it's turned out to be worth it and one of the only things they've got right. Just imagine the hooraah on here if he'd flopped like Best etc. There is no guarantee that we'd have spent 8 million on other players anyway. It wasn't as if there was a budget of that to be spent as it seems more likely they went in for Rhodes then didn't like being turned down stubborn Venky style so kept at it till they got him. If Singh/Shaw or god forbid coco had gone to them and said i want this player for 4 mill & that player for 4 mill would they have sanctioned that, would they balls like.

I am glad we "over paid" if that stops us off loading him all well and good, could be a long long time before we see anyone else as good at what he does

Archived