BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

That's assuming he's selected Tom.

What would you do, drop Gestede after we showed against City that team play counts for everything, leave Rhodes out - or change a successful team and formation in order to play Rhodes alongside Gestede? :)

What would I do? Not easy, but probably start with the same side that started against City.

Or do you go with the side that faired so well in our last league game?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or do you go with the side that faired so well in our last league game?

Personally, I'd go with that option with Robbo in goal. I'd also leave Marshall at full back at the expense of Henley.

It's a must win game and the assumption has to be that Doncaster will park the bus and we'll have to break them down.

Personally, I'd go with that option with Robbo in goal. I'd also leave Marshall at full back at the expense of Henley.

It's a must win game and the assumption has to be that Doncaster will park the bus and we'll have to break them down.

Haven't seen Marshall at full back. Did he have a decent winger against him? From what I've seen of him, I would never have thought he could play there.

Say it a bit louder, Gav. There are still some at the back who are hard of hearing.

Stuart your comments used to be quite interesting on here. Now you have reverted to snippy/clever comments that add absolutely nothing to the debate. Anyone would think you've run out of things to say on the debate? ^_^

Have a good weekend mate.

Which was the most impressive performance?

Different opposition thought isn't it Worlds apart. You would expect tomorrow that we will have the lions share of possession. We shouldn't be under to much sustained pressure and so Rhodes weaknesses will hopefully be a little less noticeable if we can keep the ball on the floor.

Rhodes would start with Gestede for me I think. Certainly can't drop Gestede after recent performances, and when you need a goal Rhodes is your man.

Stuart your comments used to be quite interesting on here. Now you have reverted to snippy/clever comments that add absolutely nothing to the debate. Anyone would think you've run out of things to say on the debate? ^_^

Have a good weekend mate.

It's all been said, James. Now we are just regurgitating the same @#/? over and over. People still think we would be better off without him, even to the point of "well, how do we accommodate him back into the team now?" (mock horror). I mean... come on!

Can't see a lot of point in continuing to type the same things in this thread for folk just to take the @#/? with garbage like that. If you do, crack on.

Mate.

Agree it's got a bit stale. Rhodes is one of our key players and we want him to stay.

As a slight twist, what happens if Rhodes gets seriously injured? Are we cream crackered as some suggest, or could we still compete? With our hugely expensive squad and 60+ players I sincerely hope it's the latter.

I dont think the discussion is about anyone craving a low priced striker who rarely scores instead of having Rhodes.

I may be wrong, but as far as I can tell the discussion revolves around whether the 8 million waxed on Rhodes could have been better spent on a number of players to improve our squad. Anything from 4 to about 12 of them.

People's inability to read and debate sensibly, whilst pedantically point scoring, whilst failing to recognise there is alway an alternative viewpoint is a tad frustrating as it stymies discussion.

There would not have been an £8mil to buy other players.

Agree it's got a bit stale. Rhodes is one of our key players and we want him to stay.

As a slight twist, what happens if Rhodes gets seriously injured? Are we cream crackered as some suggest, or could we still compete? With our hugely expensive squad and 60+ players I sincerely hope it's the latter.

Then we make do and mend, and stock up on bog role.

It's a good point, I think we could do with bringing in another striker who knows where the back of the net is personally but financially I guess that would depend on shifting out one or both of the brothers Grimm Best and Campbell.

• Backroom

Campbell was brilliant in his cameo against City I thought, worthy player to have available.

Almost tempted to lock this now as it's just a circular debate but I don't want to throttle any potential worthwhile debate / discussion

Campbell was brilliant in his cameo against City I thought, worthy player to have available.

Almost tempted to lock this now as it's just a circular debate but I don't want to throttle any potential worthwhile debate / discussion

How can there be anymore useful debate, we have the leagues top scorrer, he has to stay, end of

That's assuming he's selected Tom.

What would you do, drop Gestede after we showed against City that team play counts for everything, leave Rhodes out - or change a successful team and formation in order to play Rhodes alongside Gestede? :)

What would I do? Not easy, but probably start with the same side that started against City.

Now instead of Rhodes this and Rhodes that, this is a debate worth having.

I'd try to accommodate both Gestede and Rhodes against Donny, its the combination that on paper should bear fruit, but we all now football isn't played on paper.

That said the side that started against Yeovil, as Mark says above, was a winning side so I’d be happy with that.

Tell you what isn’t it good to be talking football again, formations and options, we’ve come a long way in the past 12 months :tu:

Now instead of Rhodes this and Rhodes that, this is a debate worth having.

I'd try to accommodate both Gestede and Rhodes against Donny, its the combination that on paper should bear fruit, but we all now football isn't played on paper.

That said the side that started against Yeovil, as Mark says above, was a winning side so I’d be happy with that.

Tell you what isn’t it good to be talking football again, formations and options, we’ve come a long way in the past 12 months :tu:

We're doing OK Gav, but the fear for me is this summer. What happens if we don't go up?

However, on the brighter side Doncaster! I don't like 4-4-2, it's far too rigid. Against anything like a decent side, you finish up with the two strikers with their back to goal, watching the opposition flood the midfield with 5 or 6 players and passing you to death. Having said that, I also think that against weaker teams, you can get away with it. Bowyer has to work that one out and he needs to get it right. I think the lads that started against City deserve another go at it. It can be changed if needs be.

Everything else is bunkum.

Campbell's a good player and has scored goals wherever he's been

People argue all day long that Rhodes is the only one who can score goals yet some of those same people want rid of Campbell and Rochina, the only other ones who can score goals

Strange

We're doing OK Gav, but the fear for me is this summer. What happens if we don't go up?

However, on the brighter side Doncaster! I don't like 4-4-2, it's far too rigid. Against anything like a decent side, you finish up with the two strikers with their back to goal, watching the opposition flood the midfield with 5 or 6 players and passing you to death. Having said that, I also think that against weaker teams, you can get away with it. Bowyer has to work that one out and he needs to get it right. I think the lads that started against City deserve another go at it. It can be changed if needs be.

Everything else is bunkum.

Can't argue with any of that den, its good to have options.

I've decided to enjoy the moment and try to forget what may or may not happen in the summer, that philosophy will probably last until the next defeat.

Most common topic of conversation at Uni's amongst the faculty these days is, what are they being taught before us? At this point as always I will have to point out for the 'others' that that is no reflection on either pupils or teachers as they do not set the curriculum, more a reflection on those in power dumming down the nation.

Unfortunately I doubt many of those lecturers had the benefit of a grammar school education maj. The demise began in 1965.

I agree Darren, provide more opportunities by creating openings and the enigma that is Rhodes, will score more. It is a skill that cannot be taught. Think about the skills of yhe last JR to grace out forward line and recall Sunderland. Now that would have been 1-0 with Rhodes there.

Roberts all on his own round the keeper and a completely empty net before him 6 yards out! ...... Never mind Rhodes it would have been 1-0 with Mrs bloody Desai there! Was DJ in the crowd that day I wonder?

Campbell's a good player and has scored goals wherever he's been

People argue all day long that Rhodes is the only one who can score goals yet some of those same people want rid of Campbell and Rochina, the only other ones who can score goals

Strange

He 's been here a year and hasn't scored a goal and hasn't looked likely to imo. I don't share Tom's view on him at all I think he looks pretty useless.

I think in an ideal world you need 4 decent striking options and for me that would be Rhodes Rochina Gestede + AN. other proven goalscorer. However I expect Rochina will leave in search of regular football leaving us with Rhodes Gestede Campbell and Best. I don't see Gestede being prolific and don't rate the other two so imo we have to pray Rhodes remains fit.

Almost tempted to lock this now as it's just a circular debate but I don't want to throttle any potential worthwhile debate / discussion]

Is that a reason to lock what is effectively a 'busy' thread?

Just as an aside after a quick search it appears one or two of Rhodes most vociferous supporters currently were also under the impression that Jon Stead was a 'gud un'! :rolleyes:

Jon Stead WAS a "good'un" for six months, if I recall. At any rate, I fail to see the connection.

Archived