BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brave post.

Part of me thinks it's probably too early and you have to give the guy more time, but another part of me thinks why give him more time if you have a feeling he's not the right guy and he's not going to turn it around? I thought before the season he was the wrong appointment and was arguing for someone experienced but I don't think we have seen enough yet to back that view up.

At the end of the day Venky's will decide when to get rid, I would assume 9 points from 8 games isn't going to go down well with the owners. When you have a club that is losing money and needs the lucrative premier league money and asap they are bound to be nervous.

Brave. Hmmm, not the word I would have used.

If we accept we have a young team and a manager learning the ropes, we have to accept a 0-0 draw at home every now and again without knee-jerk reactions.

Our problem is we don't have any financial certainty and therefore patience doesn't come easily. Huddersfield won 4 of their last 6 so it was by no means a gimmie but we need to see better performances than that.

How on earth can we actually afford to do this? Any new man will want to mold the team again and we haven't got two pennies to rub together. A better approach would be to get him support where he and the club needs it and that's at the top. We were promised a DoF and whilst I'm not 100% keen on the idea it allows Bowyer more time to do what he's strong at, get the team ready. The madness of the last few years must stop and we can ill afford another manager. We're not in danger, we're not going up, but we must get everything behind the scenes correct for functioning club. Bowyer must be given time to sort it all out, but some new blood wouldn't go amiss.

It's not him that will lead us down, it is not his fault! He took the poisoned chalice following Billy Smarts attempts at finding the fans favourite! He has brought some stability, indeed normality back to the asylum.

Of course he can only work within the confines of what he has been left. The tossers at the top ballsed it up post-Knob walking - that was the time to bring in experience, but they brought in SS, and look what he did. GB will be here for a while, the tossers have lost interest, keep writing the cheques, but for how long? Parson is right, we are at this level for the foreseeable future!

How on earth can we actually afford to do this? Any new man will want to mold the team again and we haven't got two pennies to rub together. A better approach would be to get him support where he and the club needs it and that's at the top. We were promised a DoF and whilst I'm not 100% keen on the idea it allows Bowyer more time to do what he's strong at, get the team ready. The madness of the last few years must stop and we can ill afford another manager. We're not in danger, we're not going up, but we must get everything behind the scenes correct for functioning club. Bowyer must be given time to sort it all out, but some new blood wouldn't go amiss.

And that's where this debate should end.

(well put Maj)

Bowyer´s era have been mostly getting rid of deadwood without having money to bring anybody in. He seems honest guy and after everything happend in last few years that is more than nice. Promotion is not really realistic this season and that is not Bowyer´s fault. The club needs some stability right now and sacking him would be another stupid desicion by the Rao´s. Don´t know is there even any speculations about it.

Brave. Hmmm, not the word I would have used.

If we accept we have a young team and a manager learning the ropes, we have to accept a 0-0 draw at home every now and again without knee-jerk reactions.

Our problem is we don't have any financial certainty and therefore patience doesn't come easily. Huddersfield won 4 of their last 6 so it was by no means a gimmie but we need to see better performances than that.

Not entering the Bowyer debate but yes accept a few dropped points here and there at home and we havent been performing abysmally.BUT BUT we have nt won away since the Great Fire of London and dont look like doing and that makes us a bottom end team

• Backroom

This. What a nonsense thread, barely into the season at all. Shows that some still have no idea what Venky's have actually done to the club. We're actually in a decent position thus far all things considered.

Not entering the Bowyer debate but yes accept a few dropped points here and there at home and we havent been performing abysmally.BUT BUT we have nt won away since the Great Fire of London and dont look like doing and that makes us a bottom end team

You are right, by losing away, it puts a lot of pressure on home results and therefore the manager. But anyone calling for the manager's head at this stage, and after a 0-0 - however tongue in cheek - has been asleep for the last 3 years.

Not sure under normal circumstances that this is a daft thread. Our form is ok, there's promise, but the urgency of needing premier league football makes you wonder if this is enough.

I think we're exactly what we are - a bang average championship team. Bowyer has promise but not even his biggest fans would say he's anywhere near the finished article. I think the questions are as follows:

Will Bowyer become a good manager over time? - Imo 50:50. possibly, but equally I think there are a few signs he may not make it, or be mediocre (neither of which will be enough for Rovers) as well as some that he will make a very good manager. Certainly it'll take time.

Would an experienced manager do better? I think the answer is yes. Many fans have called for an experienced manager and imo a more talented manager would get more out of the squad we have.

Will Venkys appoint a better manager? Given their track record of decision making (in general) I'd say no. Also this is the one thing they really refuse to budge on (and am unsure why) so on both counts it's a definite no.

Can Rovers afford to wait for Bowyer to come good? Seeing the recent financial results I'm not sure we can. Without premier league money soon Rovers are so goosed it's untrue. Mass cutbacks and a fall through the leagues will follow.

Can Rovers afford to sack Bowyer? I'm not sure we can - credibility or financially. However, it may be worth a final all in gamble on a new man, as the indicators are we'll be bust before but given Venky's record it's a hell of a gamble.

Overall: Rovers are in between a rock and a hard place. If they had a decent DoF or chairman and MD I'd be a lot happier with them making an informed decision, on what is a very tough choice. For the moment though I'd keep Bowyer and give him more time, but if we're still floundering come end of October/early November a rethink may be in order.

Edit: Venkys lack of footballing nous however makes any move for a new person so unappealing and risky. I wonder if we had a normal board whether people would stick with Bowyer so long. I do like the chap though so I hope he learns fast and gets us up the league.

The club probably can't afford to do anything about it because of the countless mistakes which have led to huge financial losses but then again can we afford to either stay in this division much longer or worse end up relegated. Keep in mind Venky's are taking the hit but how much longer will they do so, and this is the final season of those decent parachute payments iirc. Looks like we are in a no win situation to me.

We as fans know Premier League football aspirations are unrealistic at this moment in time but the financial situation which is only going to get worse the longer we are out of that division is a major driving force. We are talking about the club's ultimate existence here especially if they decide to pull out because they get fed up of bankrolling the club.

I fully endorse all you have said here Maj, whilst you have to respect other people's opinions, I admit to struggling counting to ten having read the opening post.

I think Bowyer deserves and has earned a fair crack at the whip, I also think he's making a decent fist of the job so far.

FFS, from where we've come from, endured and are now having to overcome as a consequence of the past 3 years, what do some people realistically expect?

Our points haul so far is just about acceptable I guess, maintain it as the team gels and we formulate what works well and what doesn't up until Christmas and we will be mid table. By then we will have a couple of excellent creative absentees returning from injury, from where we may be able to kick on to strive for a play off place.

That was probably the best we could have hoped for realistically so what's the problem?

The club probably can't afford to do anything about it because of the countless mistakes which have led to huge financial losses but then again can we afford to either stay in this division much longer or worse end up relegated. Keep in mind Venky's are taking the hit but

how much longer will they do so, and this is the final

season of those decent parachute payments iirc. Looks

like we are in a no win situation to me.

Summer 2014 :@ will be when the proverbial hits the fan unless by some miracle we get promoted... It's when the Raos exit the club leaving us in administration saddled with untold debt..... If anyone knows better wake up and eat us cornflakes... Remember how many premiership class players have bn sold and for how much

Summer 2014 :@ will be when the proverbial hits the fan unless by some miracle we get promoted... It's when the Raos exit the club leaving us in administration saddled with untold debt..... If anyone knows better wake up and eat us cornflakes... Remember how many premiership class players have bn sold and for how much

How much debt is BRFC saddled with Athlete?

It could be zero could it not and Venky's carrying the can for their own misgivings? That being the case we're no worse off than we were before because relegation was ultimately inevitable under Walker Trust, it was just a question of when.

Indians have a strange culture, alien to us. One thing's for sure, personal and corporate failure is not taken lightly. Despite everything else, strangely therein may lie our salvation.

The club probably can't afford to do anything about it because of the countless mistakes which have led to huge financial losses but then again can we afford to either stay in this division much longer or worse end up relegated. Keep in mind Venky's are taking the hit but how much longer will they do so, and this is the final season of those decent parachute payments iirc. Looks like we are in a no win situation to me.

We as fans know Premier League football aspirations are unrealistic at this moment in time but the financial situation which is only going to get worse the longer we are out of that division is a major driving force. We are talking about the club's ultimate existence here especially if they decide to pull out because they get fed up of bankrolling the club.

I completely agree that the sooner we get back where we belong the better for the club financially and in the long term. The moment to bring in an experienced man was this summer and that's now past and bowyer has been allowed to create his own team and structure behind the scenes. He's been backed and to sack him now for me would be far more damaging than good. How will the players/staff react? How will all the fans think (we've already lost a plenty)? How will the press paint us yet again? We can't afford any of those answers to become worse than they already are. We need a period of stability and with this league the way it is, we can afford to give him time. For me I'd give him until mid December as our forms not a disaster and we've had some good and bad performances. Or inconsistent results. Time will allow us to see if he can create the consistency we need and the improvements to gain results against better opposition. The advantage we have by waiting is that we will appear to have moved on from being a trigger happy circus and giving him until Xmas would carry that on. This for me would allow us a better choice of candidate come December should form dictate we're not going to sneak the play-offs or mount a late push. An experienced manager can and could easily turn it round from mid December and get us in there, if backed (no experienced quality manager would take this job without transfer funds). Thanks to the unpredictability of this league it is doable, not easy but it is. For me being patient and methodical about our holistic situation will serve us better than acting hastily. But obviously Venky's are involved so who knows what they'll do as they make the championship look predictable.

I think he deserves at least till January. Results aren't great but aren't terrible.

Unless we were guaranteed an amazing manager what's the point when he can't bring in any of his own players anyway? Even if we brought a new manager in January, what's to say we won't get another novice?

Burnley look to have made a very lucky appointment in Dyche but on the other hand a lot of their fans wanted rid not so long ago.

Archived