BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

We know what GB has done right so far and we all thank him for it so I don't know why people keep bringing up the signings etc, we know. Of concern is the way he's keeps shooting his self in the foot with persistent faith in certain players and tactics that don't work more often than they do. He's almost undoing all his good work in the eyes of fans. If he gets it right on Sun then this time next week he'll be a hero of course :) Just before he reverts back to the same old same old !

Personally I am prepared to give him more time - unlike our near neighbours we have yet to have a settled squad. Indeed every time we seem to be getting a run together one of our best performing players seem to get injured.

For those comparing this seasons points total to lasts - need to remember one very important thing - we only finished on the points we did because of the excellent start under Kean - so you are basically bigging up Kean :unsure: Truth of the matter - we had an unbelievable start to the season where we played awful and yet got results - this season we have had a far more consistent level of performance throughout the season - unfortunately with occasional one/two match dips in performance (many of which have coincided with injuries to key players).

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were there to carry out JW's wishes, not do as they pleased with his legacy.

They were there and still are to look after the trust's best interests, a lot of folk said there were covenants in JW's will to protect the Rovers but I cannot find any evidence of this, only speculation.

ps, I am not defending them in any way or taking sides as any safeguards would probably have been useless and not enforceable against a determined new owner!

They were there and still are to look after the trust's best interests, a lot of folk said there were covenants in JW's will to protect the Rovers but I cannot find any evidence of this, only speculation.

ps, I am not defending them in any way or taking sides as any safeguards would probably have been useless and not enforceable against a determined new owner!

No Yoda.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/archive/2000/08/19/6069789.Walker_Trust_chief_eases_Blackburn_Rovers_fans__fears/

Looking at the stats, yes points wise we are not much better off from at this same stage last season, but you have to note that we had played 34 games at the same point last season and we were about to embark on a run that would see us pick up just 13 points from the last 12 games. I would hope that we will do better than that in the remaining 14 games.

I feel bowyers done a good job but hes taken the club as far as he can with his limited managerial ability, that said I dont trust whoevers running the cub to find a better manager, so its a bit of a catch 22.

(canr believe somebody above put beatties name forward! Im not sure whos more clueless at time, us fans or the owners)

I think it is awfully early to say he has "taken it has far has he can" - the question is are we (the fans) and they (the owners) willing to give him the time needed to see if he can continue his progression?

Personally i think he is doing well and will develop - that said i would never employ Steve Bruce in a million years and look where Hull are :blush:

At the start of the season a lot of people expected us to be mid-table and being optimistic sneaking into the play-offs. We are very much at that level now, I think Bowyer has gone the right way about it with the players he's brought in, the majority being young British players and we have also managed to shift a lot of the Portuguese and other deadwood. I knew as soon as I saw the team on Saturday we were going to struggle and so we did. Although I wasn't expecting such a drubbing. Yes, at times his tactics and substitutions can be questioned but there have been times he's got it right. If we can finish in the top 10 this season it will be a solid foundation to build on and in my opinion if we got rid of further deadwood in the summer and strengthened as we have done this season it would bode extremely well for us. BUT that is all down too whether it is truely a case of promotion or bust for us and if that is the case we are in serious trouble no doubt about it. I have faith in Bowyer to get the best out of the players for the rest of this season and I feel if we don't go up this season which is unlikely he can take it to the next step next season IF the club is in a fit state too. I really don't think he's doing a bad job.

At the start of the season a lot of people expected us to be mid-table and being optimistic sneaking into the play-offs. We are very much at that level now, I think Bowyer has gone the right way about it with the players he's brought in, the majority being young British players and we have also managed to shift a lot of the Portuguese and other deadwood. I knew as soon as I saw the team on Saturday we were going to struggle and so we did. Although I wasn't expecting such a drubbing. Yes, at times his tactics and substitutions can be questioned but there have been times he's got it right. If we can finish in the top 10 this season it will be a solid foundation to build on and in my opinion if we got rid of further deadwood in the summer and strengthened as we have done this season it would bode extremely well for us. BUT that is all down too whether it is truely a case of promotion or bust for us and if that is the case we are in serious trouble no doubt about it. I have faith in Bowyer to get the best out of the players for the rest of this season and I feel if we don't go up this season which is unlikely he can take it to the next step next season IF the club is in a fit state too. I really don't think he's doing a bad job.

But we've had chance after chance of getting into real contention for the play offs this season and then failed to turn up.

Why?

from that artical

Trust fund put in place

"A NUMBER of years ago I put in place a family trust structure to own my various business interests including Blackburn Rovers.

"The structure ensures continuity of management and provides the necessary financial support for all my businesses for the foreseeable future.

"I have made known my wish to my colleagues, whom I'm confident will carry forward the policies necessary to promote and enlarge all my business interests."

These were the words of Jack Walker at the end of April this year when news of his illness was confirmed.

No mention of covenants there either, they sold the club

But we've had chance after chance of getting into real contention for the play offs this season and then failed to turn up.

Why?

Nerves? It is still a very young inexperienced team in general and the thought of the millions that await can be intimidating.

The Walker Trust were the true villains of the piece, imo. Y'see, I would expect no less from the likes of Kean & his spivvy contacts. Or a bunch of Indian rich-kids looking for a vanity project.

The Trust, on the other hand, were Jack's own kin, founded with the sole purpose of safeguarding the club's future. Whatever success the club might have achieved under their stewardship was irrevocably undone the moment they decided to sell the family silver to Venky's. Make no mistake, they would've bitten Ali Syed's hand off, too, if he had stumped up the readies.

Oh, right.

C'mon you can't be serious?

In terms of the players i think it could be nerves, yes. The alternative is that when given the chance of getting into the playoffs they choose not to perform...??

My argument is undermined by our victory at Reading but if we are noticing a familiar pattern of getting close and then performing badly it (to me anyway) has all the hallmarks of nerves - ie choking. Seen it a million times in golf - especially in younger/less experienced players that get themselves into a perfekt position and then "tighten up".

Looking at the stats, yes points wise we are not much better off from at this same stage last season, but you have to note that we had played 34 games at the same point last season and we were about to embark on a run that would see us pick up just 13 points from the last 12 games. I would hope that we will do better than that in the remaining 14 games.

Also everyone seems to forget we got 16 from the first 6 games was it under the genius Steve Kean. Take out that flying start and it starts to paint a little different picture. Still think GB has much room for improvement.

Interesting theory of gordons but surely we, d be better off to take a points hit this season and start fresh next.

Something IS for sure off these youngsters should be giving their all to reach that 6th spot and they just don't seem to be. Are they scared to go up?

Why?

That is what is so baffling. It's what is causing the most angst amongt us fans. Just why do we never seem to have a proper go at it. Leaves me lost and frustrated.

The Walker Trust were the true villains of the piece, imo. Y'see, I would expect no less from the likes of Kean & his spivvy contacts. Or a bunch of Indian rich-kids looking for a vanity project.

The Trust, on the other hand, were Jack's own kin, founded with the sole purpose of safeguarding the club's future. Whatever success the club might have achieved under their stewardship was irrevocably undone the moment they decided to sell the family silver to Venky's. Make no mistake, they would've bitten Ali Syed's hand off, too, if he had stumped up the readies.

true, but the FA are just as much in the dock, "FA" sums them up

youve outdone yourself with your latest avatar :o

Not really, they just wanted a net drain off the books

Quite right, and so would I in their position. Even more understanding when most of the Trust members had no interest in football. The Walker Years couldn't have gone on forever and a full decade of gravy after Jack died was a bonus. We as supporters didn't put enough over the counter to make the club self financing so the writing was always on the wall.

Quite right, and so would I in their position. Even more understanding when most of the Trust members had no interest in football. The Walker Years couldn't have gone on forever and a full decade of gravy after Jack died was a bonus. We as supporters didn't put enough over the counter to make the club self financing so the writing was always on the wall.

There are few on here who can't or won't grasp that and it is making them bitter

They were there to carry out JW's wishes, not do as they pleased with his legacy.

How do you know what conditions were attached to the will den?

I must say the decision to provide a legacy of financial safety for generations of direct family v chucking good money after bad in the direction of the likes of Kean, fat controller, Murphy, Agnew, Best and numerous anonymous Carlos Kickaballs simply isn't a difficult decision is it? Jack might as you say want BRFC to dine at the top table but surely not at the expense of his descendants. Football never made much financial sense in my lifetime but now it is just ludicrous. Rem to put it into context we paid Alan Shearer a quarter of the money that we are (still) paying each one of Murphy, Best and Etohu! And unless I am mistaken ST's cost less than they did back then.

Not rocket science is it?

"If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen... get out'. They did. Move on.

They do seem to have got of very lightly by the fans, absolute cretins and an embarrassment to the walker name in my view.

If you think that then that must make them fine in most other peoples opinion then.

From the LET Archive - Friday, 18 August 2000 Trust fund put in place

"A NUMBER of years ago I put in place a family trust structure to own my various business interests including Blackburn Rovers.

"The structure ensures continuity of management and provides the necessary financial support for all my businesses for the foreseeable future.

"I have made known my wish to my colleagues, whom I'm confident will carry forward the policies necessary to promote and enlarge all my business interests."

These were the words of Jack Walker at the end of April this year when news of his illness was confirmed.

Rovers fans will be comforted by the words of a man they have grown to trust over his years of involvement with the club.

But questions clearly remain as to who will control the purse strings of the club following Walker's death.

The shareholders of his business intend to release details of arrangements set in place following Walker's funeral.

The overall control of will be in the hands of a Walker's Jersey-based solicitor. He will control a vast trust fund, of which funds for Blackburn Rovers will be a major part.

There is NOT, however, a separate pot of money set aside simply to run the finances of Blackburn Rovers.

The club's concerns will be addressed hand in hand with Walker's other remaining business interests.

As long ago as February 1993, Walker stated: "There's no trust been put there for an annual income. The trust has been put there to make sure the club is sound.

"It's no use going into a major project like this and something happening in the middle of it to me and then the club's left in the air."

The club is anxious to ensure everyone that their ambitions have not been affected by today's news.

And there is still ample funding available for Graeme Souness to return the club to the top flight.

Clearly, though, the club is entering a new era in which Walker's son-in-law and current director Richard Matthewman, is likely to play an important role.

I have highlighted some key points in the article you suggested was the source of the trust info, it seems to contradict your point of view somewhat

Archived