BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Weirdy Beardys

You need to remember this was all done at the height of the very competitive Cold War Space Race. How come the Russians, who surely would have known wether it was a fake mission or not, didn't expose it as such. I've no real opinion either way but that question springs to mind.

Exactly. Imagine the damage the USSR could have caused by exposing it. If there was even the slightest sniff of it being faked then they would have been all over every one of the thousands of people who had worked on it.

We should terra-form the Moon, Venus, Mars, Europa, etc. Spreading the human race throughout the solar system is perfectly feasible over the next 100-500 years.

Maybe not Venus.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not Venus.

Venus is probably our most likely next stop.

If our solar system is expanding and moving further away from the sun, then it's likely that Earth will go the way of Mars as our perfect conditions for life deteriorate. Venus will eventually hit the optimal orbit for life at which point bacteria will form on rocks and the evolutionary cycle will begin again. Of course, it will likely need a meteor to hit and throw out a rock with enough gravitational pull to help create the tides and the weather systems but we'll worry about that when the time comes.

If anything we need to be working on a space ship not to travel into the depths of space but to survive on long enough for Venus to become fit for human life - so about a few million years or so.

Unless the universe is currently shrinking and we are heading back towards the sun (which doesn't really explain Mars' characteristics as a planet which may have contained life in the past) in which case, we'll give it a miss.

In the meantime, it would be good if Christian denominations, agnostics and moderate Islamics can get together and create a British culture which prevents young Muslims from feeling the need to pull further away from a cohesive society.

Stuart, the earth, if anything will move closer to the sun as it deteriorates in strength, but that is not expected for a few years though

It's the universe that's expanding.

There is a large difference between "solar system" (our immediate neighbourhood), and the "Universe".

The rest of the universe is expanding but our solar system is contracting? Seems a bit contradictory.

Does that mean our planets were just floating space debris that became attracted to our sun and started encircling it?

I prefer my theory! :P

You need to remember this was all done at the height of the very competitive Cold War Space Race. How come the Russians, who surely would have known wether it was a fake mission or not, didn't expose it as such. I've no real opinion either way but that question springs to mind.

That's all well and good but it didn't answer my questions.

Anyway, had the Soviets "blown the whistle" then I'd wager their conspiracy theories would've been easily dismissed as sour grapes by the West. Not to mention the USSR was just as guilty as the US when it came to space program fakery.

I know I will regret this, but are actual people suggesting the moon landings were an elaborate hoax?

What I find unbelievable is that so called intelligent people actually believe that the moon landings were not real.

Office telephone cleaners? 15.00 t0 21 mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBmdkhDGZ8A

^_^

In that case can I take it that you a keen supporter of euthanasia?

I think he might be in your case.

That's all well and good but it didn't answer my questions.Anyway, had the Soviets "blown the whistle" then I'd wager their conspiracy theories would've been easily dismissed as sour grapes by the West. Not to mention the USSR was just as guilty as the US when it came to space program fakery.

Ah, right. I get it now. The Russians were in on it as well.

Maybe not Venus.

I'm very serious.

http://www.orionsarm.com/fm_store/TerraformingVenusQuickly.pdf

http://www.singularityweblog.com/can-terraforming-venus-be-the-solution-to-population-growth/

I think we as a species will spread across the solar system over the next 1,000 years. And even further over the thousands of years after that. Which is a very good thing.

I believe we'll do so by terraforming. We are on the cusp of being able to do it now.

The rest of the universe is expanding but our solar system is contracting? Seems a bit contradictory.

Does that mean our planets were just floating space debris that became attracted to our sun and started encircling it?

I prefer my theory! :P

The sun will expand as it gets older, so if we maintain our orbit, we'll be relatively nearer to it. I think thats what he's trying to get at.

I'm very serious.

http://www.orionsarm.com/fm_store/TerraformingVenusQuickly.pdf

http://www.singularityweblog.com/can-terraforming-venus-be-the-solution-to-population-growth/

I think we as a species will spread across the solar system over the next 1,000 years. And even further over the thousands of years after that. Which is a very good thing.

I believe we'll do so by terraforming. We are on the cusp of being able to do it now.

what do you mean "We", don't know about you, but working class plebs like me will be extinct before humans start living on other planets or man made space stations(which I think would be far more viable than terraforming) only the mega rich and powerful(lizard people!) will be able to afford it, the rest of us will be left to make do or die.

what do you mean "We", don't know about you, but working class plebs like me will be extinct before humans start living on other planets or man made space stations(which I think would be far more viable than terraforming) only the mega rich and powerful(lizard people!) will be able to afford it, the rest of us will be left to make do or die.

I'm shocked by this world view. Off the cuff, I have two responses, one positive and one cynical:

Positive: The "mega-rich" won't be the astronauts, engineers, medical staff, scientists, etc. terra-forming any worlds or moons. They're to busy being mega-rich. And when it comes to farming, building, etc.. the new livable words, etc... that's work and they won't want to do it. It will take the hardworking, intelligent, brave blue and white-collar people to make it happen; just like on earth.

Cynical: Once terra-formed, the mega-rich are probably going to have all the advantages there that they have here. But they will want a livable, civilized world, so see point 1 above.

I'm not concerned about the mega-rich. I am concerned about the human race. We're a collection of eggs in one basket. God gave us brains. We'd best use them and colonize first the solar system, then the galaxy.

This thread is taking a very surreal turn but I like your style so I'll stay with it.

Fuel to power this space-ship that will accommodate people for a few generations? Solar power may be useless as we drift further and further away from the sun.

You'd need to be pretty brave/stupid to board that ship with nothing but hope and faith in science that you would eventually reach somewhere which could sustain life.

Might as well believe in God and life after death...

A dutch firm is currently in the process of choosing four people for a one way mission to mars...

moving out of this solar system has already been achieved by a man made object. Voyager 2 is currently in interstellar space. It took 30+ years.

A dutch firm is currently in the process of choosing four people for a one way mission to mars...

moving out of this solar system has already been achieved by a man made object. Voyager 2 is currently in interstellar space. It took 30+ years.

Yeah I read about that. Pretty much a suicide mission.

There was talk about it being televised. Sounds pretty macabre considering there is guaranteed not to be a happy ending. I guess the blessing would be that they would probably go out of communicable range before they die.

Yeah I read about that. Pretty much a suicide mission.

There was talk about it being televised. Sounds pretty macabre considering there is guaranteed not to be a happy ending. I guess the blessing would be that they would probably go out of communicable range before they die.

Its a pretty indepth mission.

They will be highly trained in medicines and treatments. From what I have seen it is pretty exciting. A lot of people applied. (Tens of thousands).

Its a pretty indepth mission.

They will be highly trained in medicines and treatments. From what I have seen it is pretty exciting. A lot of people applied. (Tens of thousands).

How long is the mission scheduled to last?

It will be useful in terms of the data they can gather but they are making a big sacrifice. That is of course, unless it's all done on a darkened sound stage somewhere. ^_^

I reckon Abbey, Shilitto, Thenodrog and Braddock should be the first four, that would make for amusing TV!

Could they find room for Blue and White Rover and Sparky Marky? :xmas:

Archived