BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News comment

I don't agree with tax dodging in any shape or form - whether it is a millionaire or someone on minimum wage. It is a little more excusable for someone on a low wage to try to avoid paying tax if they can as they have less to live on and notice every penny that comes out of their wage. When a hugely rich individual does their best to cheat the system it tends to grab the attention though, hence the headlines in the papers and the debate in here.

I take your point that a (vague lol) millionaire will contribute much more to tax budgets than I will ever earn. This does not excuse them from paying tax though. Otherwise there is one rule for the rich and one for the poor. Perhaps you think there should be a level of tax everyone should pay and when that is reached you should get a "tax holiday"?

I don't understand what you mean by people sending money via Western Union but with regards to the people that won't work above certain hours so they can continue to claim benefits I think this is once again a bit more excusable as they are only trying to get a "living wage" aren't they? There's a big difference between these people playing the system for money to pay household bills and the likes of Barlow and Carr redirecting their money to avoid paying any tax whatsoever if possible. Also only working a small amount of hours a week should give another person the chance of employment, hopefully gaining important skills and contacts.

Also just because something is legal that doesn't make it morally right. The distinction between tax "evasion" and tax "avoidance" is lost on me. Both are ways that people try to wriggle out of paying their fair share. When these people don't pay tax they are literally robbing from the likes of you and me.

Yeah of course I have. I used to do a bit of taxi driving as well so I am also aware that lots of taxi drivers don't pay tax or national insurance either, many of them claim benefits as well as working. It's a bit unrealistic though to expect me to refuse to pay a builder cash in hand or try to ensure that he is paying tax on all work paid for by me. If I was offered a cheaper rate for cash in hand rather than by cheque or whatever I would not take it. It's a good point though - we all contribute to the black market economy to a certain extent - that's why I brought in the example of taxi drivers. The only person you can be responsible for ultimately is yourself. That's why I pay my fair share and hope that others do the same.

First off I want to apologise for describing your views as "tripe". I appreciate you not taking it personally or rising to the bait of my rude language. I didn't mean to be rude but I am quitting smoking and got a bit carried away... All the same I am fairly sure pensions have not been bought and paid for - why else would they raise the qualifying age to 68 from 65? It is pretty obvious that as we live longer that it will become harder and harder to guarantee everyone a state pension. What percentage of your taxes do you think goes towards "immigrant benefits"? I don't know either but I reckon it's a fairly small amount each year, dwarfed by the vast amounts lost to the treasury through tax avoidance schemes perpetrated by companies and wealthy individuals.

When I say that pensions have been bought and paid for I mean that I have paid my tax and NI all my life and in that respect I have paid for the pension that I now receive just as though I had paid it into a private pension scheme to be received now.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I see - you mean foreign nationals are sending money back home to their families? I have no problem with that personally and I would be surprised if anyone else does. People are entitled to do whatever they like with their own money - send it out of the country, fold it up and make it into paper aeroplanes or even chuck it on the fire. As long as it is legal and they have paid tax first!

Oh I see - you mean foreign nationals are sending money back home to their families? I have no problem with that personally and I would be surprised if anyone else does. People are entitled to do whatever they like with their own money - send it out of the country, fold it up and make it into paper aeroplanes or even chuck it on the fire. As long as it is legal and they have paid tax first!

The point is that they do not. By sending it abroad it prevents the Revenue from discovering that the tax has not been paid.

Actually I do not think you can legally destroy currency as it belongs to the crown. Also I am sure there is a legal limit to how much money can be sent out of the realm.

When I say that pensions have been bought and paid for I mean that I have paid my tax and NI all my life and in that respect I have paid for the pension that I now receive just as though I had paid it into a private pension scheme to be received now.

Fair enough Al, thanks for clarifying. I think we are coming at this from entirely different perspectives and will struggle to find common ground so I will make this my last word on the matter. I seem to have emphasised the pensions crisis too much and ended up confusing the point I was trying to make. I was trying to show that far from being a drain on society immigrants are actually contributing more than they take from the British public and will continue to do so for years to come.

I don't think that is true. There are lots of Polish and Romanian workers in my place of employment and they all go through PAYE the same as any other employee. If they want to send their money to Poland after paying living expenses they are welcome to in my view. If they are not paying tax that is a separate issue. It is not just immigrants that work on the black market.

I think you will find that the poster was referring to "countless millions of undeclared" earnings.

I wonder if Cameron thinks that people who aggressively avoid tax are the right personalities to be in his cabinet?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1321339/Tory-Cabinet-millionaires-face-TV-claims-tax-dodging.html

Its no real wonder why Osbourne has failed to come up with the new tax avoidance laws he promised over 2 years ago is it?

Anyone who deliberately try's to avoid paying tax in the manner Barlow ('s financial advisor) has, is morally in my mind a criminal. It shouldn't be up to the Inland Revenue to prove that people are deliberately doing this, they should be allowed in law to make the decision, with the claimant allowed to challenge in court at their (not the tax payers) cost. Maybe if the Barlows of this country paid their share, he wouldnt need to so many egotistical gigs for children in need. Its about time this government started doing things for the workers in this country, and stopped pandering to those at the top.

Most naive poster of the year! Well done Hypnotic you were up against some stiff competition but that post just takes the biscuit.

• Backroom

The year is 2014 - in Sudan a woman has been sentenced to death for marrying a Christian and refusing to return to Islam

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27424064

This has absolutely boiled my blood how does the civilised world allow this to happen, if only Sudan had a commodity America wanted something could be done

The year is 2014 - in Sudan a woman has been sentenced to death for marrying a Christian and refusing to return to Islam

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27424064

This has absolutely boiled my blood how does the civilised world allow this to happen, if only Sudan had a commodity America wanted something could be done

It is absolutely disgraceful, Islam needs calling out big time, dark age cretins who need re-educating (if it is possible)

It is absolutely disgraceful, Islam needs calling out big time, dark age cretins who need re-educating (if it is possible)

Its idiots using religion, not the religion causing the issue. Mass generalisation is the wrong way to deal with this. With Christians, its called it a cult, when its Islam its somehow generalised to be all muslims.

Its idiots using religion, not the religion causing the issue. Mass generalisation is the wrong way to deal with this. With Christians, its called it a cult, when its Islam its somehow generalised to be all muslims.

Woah woah woah. I've kept my counsel on this but when Islam does wrong all we hear is how ALL religion is bad, backward and should be banned.

The religion should make a stand against idiots using their name in vain then

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/convicted-murderer-arnold-pickering-on-run-from-police-for-fourth-time-as-ministers-call-for-urgent-changes-to-day-release-system-9393620.html

Why on earth is a convicted murderer who has already absconded 4 times still being allowed out on day release? Whoever signed for this should be disciplined, although we already know that will never happen dont we? But what message is suchlike sending out to other prisoners? I may be behind the times but I assumed that if a prisoner abused privileges that they were withdrawn.

BTW moffat was recaptured in blackburn. No doubt there was a reason for him coming home. Anybody shed any light on this?

Was his conviction for murder or manslaughter? A murderer should not see the light of day, while manslaughter should be paroled eventually.

Murder. We don't have your brand of justice over here Steve. We have developed a liberally weak wristed version that puts the interests of the perpetrator before those of the victim(s).

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/19/convicted-murderer-arnold-pickering-arrested-absconding-jail

I see PC Plod got a good kicking today. Long over due in my opinion. I can't remember the last time I agreed with Tory Home Secretary.

Yes the bullying way that football supporters are treated by plod is scandalous.

Archived