BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News comment

I'm hardly an expert on National Health Insurance, but what's wrong with a nominal fee? Is $10 that significant in light of the modern world's safety net? A small fee, easily affordable by all, would thin out the crowd of those who were wandering because of a very minor ailment and/or just wanted someone to talk to, or any other number of non-pressing medical reasons clogging up the lines.

Or, to take Gord's example on step further, and perhaps address your concerns about cost, have times where there is a small fee and times where there is not, in order to help working folks get help sooner (and sooner back to producing income which can be taxed) and to streamline service to all.

Our Health Service is free on entry and should continue to be so. The logic of above would only punish those with very low incomes, not those who may just want a chat etc. at my doctors there has been a large number of missed appointments since they moved to an online booking service, its that "dead time" that is actually increasing waiting times for appointments for everyone, therefore if you have repeated offenders, those should be the ones you should consider fining.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The very existence of a successful NHS is an affront to the discredited free market ideology of the Tory party. They chipped away at the NHS in the 1980s and 1990s with their "reforms" (privatisations) and have continued the process over the past 5 years after undoing all of Labour's good work in rebuilding the service during their 13 years in office. The continuing underfunding of the NHS is a deliberate attempt to further undermine the service in the eyes of the public and give the Tories the excuse to dismantle it altogether and throw healthcare to the ravenous wolves of the private sector. The choice in the forthcoming election is stark because the NHS as we know it cannot survive another 5 years of Cameron.

• Backroom

The NHS needs to start

a. charging a nominal fee (£10) for a visit to a Doctor.

b. introducing work friendly visiting hours with priority given to suit working people. People out of work / pensioners etc can go at less sociable times.

It's plain common sense to give priority to workers.

This is not aimed at you Gordon, but that particular suggestion (as shared by others I know) can @#/? right off. My dad went into the docs with a dull ache in his thigh (turns out it was in the bone) and came out with a prostate cancer diagnosis. It isn't curable, but is now contained after an extremely high PSA result (meaning a very aggressive cancer) and we will have him for a good few years yet.

If there was a £10 fee to see the doc for a dull ache in his leg, I doubt he'd have bothered and it's been suggested to us that the cancer would have (by now, 4 months later) metastasised to an extent whereby I would be looking at losing my dad before my birthday in May. A £10 charge could be the difference between me (or anyone) having a dad for 2 months, or 5-7 years.

So no, we must NEVER charge to see the doc. Perhaps a small fee after treatment, but not at entry. Ever.

She is a very brave person who took a risk to help others. That risk did not pay off and that is very unfortunate but she took that risk with her eyes open and it is now unfair for the rest of the country to be put at risk, however small. She had a choice. We do not.

The rest of the country is at no risk whatsoever. It almost sounds like you think she shouldn't receive treatment at all.

Happen quicker if that same slim chance sneezes on a crowded rush hour tube as the infection becomes contagious.

There are no known cases of ebola being contracted through a sneeze. Sneezing is not a symptom of ebola. It would require a sneeze directly in the eyes, nose, or open sore. Coughing is a very late symptom. Anyway any healthcare professional in close contact with the nurse would have already reported other, earlier symptoms, subsequently tested and he/she too would be in quarantine. There is no way the virus is getting out.

But of course your contrary nature means you abandoned any shred of nuance for the facts of the case or common sense long ago.

This is not aimed at you Gordon, but that particular suggestion (as shared by others I know) can @#/? right off. My dad went into the docs with a dull ache in his thigh (turns out it was in the bone) and came out with a prostate cancer diagnosis. It isn't curable, but is now contained after an extremely high PSA result (meaning a very aggressive cancer) and we will have him for a good few years yet.

If there was a £10 fee to see the doc for a dull ache in his leg, I doubt he'd have bothered and it's been suggested to us that the cancer would have (by now, 4 months later) metastasised to an extent whereby I would be looking at losing my dad before my birthday in May. A £10 charge could be the difference between me (or anyone) having a dad for 2 months, or 5-7 years.

So no, we must NEVER charge to see the doc. Perhaps a small fee after treatment, but not at entry. Ever.

I'm glad they caught it in time Mike. A stark reminder why free at the point of service is so vital to the NHS, and why every major political party backs it.

But he'll still think it's a good idea. Preventable evils are only worth providing against if you can afford it.

I'm hardly an expert on National Health Insurance, but what's wrong with a nominal fee? Is $10 that significant in light of the modern world's safety net? A small fee, easily affordable by all, would thin out the crowd of those who were wandering because of a very minor ailment and/or just wanted someone to talk to, or any other number of non-pressing medical reasons clogging up the lines.

Or, to take Gord's example on step further, and perhaps address your concerns about cost, have times where there is a small fee and times where there is not, in order to help working folks get help sooner (and sooner back to producing income which can be taxed) and to streamline service to all.

Steve so you are aware there is no such thing in the UK as National Health Insurance, anyone who is employed, in one form or another, pays National Insurance Contributions (NICs) which entitle one to certain state benefits including Basic State Pension, Additional State Pension, Job Seeker's Allowance (unemployment benefit), Employment and Support Allowance (disability benefits), Maternity Allowance, Bereavement Benefit. Effectively this year's contributions pay for this year's cost. That is today's employee is supporting or paying for current pensioners, as an example.

I'm not clear what percentage of NICs fund the NHS but this "tax" funds more than health care. If one doesn't pay NIC one's benefits could be withdrawn, though under the collection system I'm not sure how anyone in employment could fail to pay.

In light of the modern world's safety net an unemployed person between the age of 18-65 is entitled to, depending on age, between £57 and £72 per week. A £10 doctor's fee would equate to 15-18% of weekly income to which I suppose one could reasonably add the cost of travel etc. to reach the health centre. I've yet to see any proposal these fess would be waived for the unemployed or other on state benefits.

Clearly other benefits are available to those who qualify but do not believe all the headlines.

Charging to go to the doctors would only but people of going(when they really should do) bad idea, of you can afford to pay to go see the doctor then maybe you should go private and leave the NHS to those that need it.

Also, I personally never have a problem getting an appointment when I need one, maybe you should change GPS if its possible.

Charging to go to the doctors would only but people of going(when they really should do) bad idea, of you can afford to pay to go see the doctor then maybe you should go private and leave the NHS to those that need it.

Thank you for repeating the advice of Nigel Farage. A remarkeable politician who does tend to speak the language of the common man. You will be voting UKIP then I take it?

Thank you for repeating the advice of Nigel Farage. A remarkeable politician who does tend to speak the language of the common man. You will be voting UKIP then I take it?

Don't know who I'll be voting but it won't be Tories, ukip or labour. Greens maybe, if they're running in my area.

But like most people feel, there isn't one individual party that represents really my principles or the things I care about most.

Hilarious. UKIP are the only party representing the British public.

They represent middle class white little englanders. BNPlite, member of the far right group of European political parties, disgusting party members. Horrible, vile party.

Archived