BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Trust/Action Group/Ians

TBTF

Having spoken to other fans yesterday it was pretty clear why more people haven't gotten involved. After reading this then I'll seek to get further information and possible involvement... but I'm not about to do it and place effort into something to fuel another's ego and status. I've asked the question before with no answer that if the trust were ever in a position to buy a meaningful share in the club, would the person to represent us be voted by the fans? (trust members) This should be a democratically run organisation which it APPEARS not to be on face value.

It is a democratically run organisation. Each member has a vote, any member can seek election to the board. No one is denied membership so any fan who is unhappy with the Trust can pay the membership fee, get themselves nominated for any board position they wish and if successful can argue for the changes they believe necessary.

This is how democracy works but it relies on people stepping up to the plate as opposed to complaining about the situation and doing nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought there would have been some comment by now that Wayne Wild, Dan Grabko and Neil Thornton are standing down at the Rovers Trust AGM. 

A round of applause and thanks should go to each for five years very hard work. 

Indeed. Seconded Paul. Wayne, Dan and Neil will not stand for re-election at the next AGM. This will be held on the morning of the PNE game, March 18th at Ewood WMC on Bolton Road. 9am start. If you think you would like to stand for election to the Rovers Trust board, then this is a chance to do it. You will need to be a member, so if you are not then you can join now at the Rovers Trust site.

http://www.roverstrust.com/registration-page/

For some time now there has been an increasing amount of criticism of the Trust, so now`s your chance to do something about that. Chairman, Finance Officer, MediRelatins roles all available.

The full PR regarding this is below.

The Rovers Trust holds its annual meeting in March with the future direction of the official supporters’ trust for Blackburn Rovers firmly on the agenda.

Nominations are being encouraged by the committee for members and all fans to become more active in the running of the organisation, which exists, in part, to attempt to persuade the owners of the Ewood Park club to sell up.

The AGM will be held at Ewood Working Men’s Club on Saturday March 18 starting at 9am immediately before the home game with Preston North End.

The constitution of the Rovers Trust, a Community Benefit Society, requires all positions on the committee to be made available to any members who wish to apply for them.

Three of the co-founders of the Rovers Trust – chairman Wayne Wild, treasurer Dan Grabko and communications officer Neil Thornton – have announced they will not be standing for re-election and their roles will become vacant.

It presents a genuine opportunity for other fans to make a real difference in moving the trust on and, in particular, reinvigorating the purpose of the trust, starting a new membership drive and increasing engagement with and communication to all our members and the wider fanbase.

The Rovers Trust was formed in 2012 by supporters concerned at the way their club was being owned and run. Much has happened since then, a depressing catalogue of bad decisions, uncommunicative owners, relegation, dwindling crowds, an often poisonous atmosphere and more, most of it bad.

The successes of the Rovers Trust, bringing together fans and attempting to make a real difference are some of the few bright moments in half a decade of watching Blackburn Rovers become a toxic brand in football and a basket case of a club with more than £130 million of debt saddled on it by the owners, Venky’s of India.

The Trust has been given shares in Blackburn Rovers by fellow supporters enabling it to attend the AGM of the club and call executives and owners to account.

Ewood Park is officially listed as an Asset of Community Value (ACV) because of the work of the Trust. Legal expertise is now being directed into adding the Brockhall training complex to the ACV.

The focus of the Rovers Trust from the beginning has been to ready itself financially and corporately should the opportunity ever arise when a part or whole of Blackburn Rovers became available to buy.

An initial share-raising initiative scheme saw more than £3 million pledged by thousands of ordinary fans who bought into the idea of multiple fan ownership.

The Trust has also been highly successful in connecting with high net worth fans and large companies, all Rovers supporters, to form an influential network of people ready to step in to save Blackburn Rovers should the worst happen.

Wayne Wild said: “We have achieved a lot since we set up the Trust, but our core objective to take ownership of Blackburn Rovers, in whole or in part, on behalf of all Rovers fans has yet to be realised.

“As three of the founders, myself, Neil and Dan all feel that the time is right to bring in new people with fresh ideas, impetus and drive to continue the good work of the Rovers Trust and to continue to hold the owners and their representatives to account for decisions made affecting the club, the fans and the community.

“It has been a genuine privilege to be involved in the Trust. None of us got into this five years ago with any other thought than to try to save the football club we love with a passion.

“My only regret is not being able to persuade the owners that it would be in theirs and the club’s interest to meet and talk and find ways to work together for the benefit of Blackburn Rovers.

“Me and my family will continue to be season ticket holders at Ewood Park and members of the Rovers Trust and I am here to help our successors in any way I can.”

Neil Thornton added: “Back in 2012, we believed Venky’s would not be ‘fit and proper’ owners of Blackburn Rovers and nothing they have done subsequently has proven us wrong.

“More than simply having the misfortune to suffer from bad owners, we believe football in general needs a culture change.

“Supporters are the lifeblood of the game and yet many football clubs continue to treat fans appallingly, seemingly confident in the belief we will continue to turn up season after season with no say in how our clubs are run.

“As the Venky’s have found to their cost, we won’t. Match day attendances and commercial revenues across the board have sharply declined and the blame lies with the owners, not what has happened on the pitch.

“There is a growing national movement to force change and give fans more rights to own their own clubs. The Rovers Trust has been – and will continue to be – at the forefront of this movement.

“We have continually highlighted the rotten ownership of Blackburn Rovers in the international, national and local media and can take small comfort from the knowledge that our plight has not gone unnoticed.

“I look forward to the day when the Venky’s have left and Rovers fans can have a genuine, meaningful stake in our club.”

Dan Grabko said: “One of our most important roles has been to hold the owners to account for the financial mess they have brought on the club.

“The Venky’s began with a £25 million purchase, manageable debts of £20 million and fantastic assets in the ground, training facilities and – at that time – Premiership status and an enviable playing squad and board of directors.

“To see the club sink further year on year into almost unfathomable debt, a succession of baffling and poor financial decisions, terrible executive appointments, lost court cases and inadvisable contract decisions has been truly depressing.

“The owners have attempted to spin their failure by claiming they are investing in the club when, in fact, all they are doing is adding further debt onto an already toxic balance sheet.

“The Rovers Trust should continue to expose and explain the finances of Blackburn Rovers and the corporate decisions made by the owners.

“If they won’t talk to us, we can at least relate to the fans what’s being done to their club.”

Nominations for any of the committee positions can be made by any member of the Rovers Trust. Fans who are not members can join online and stand for the committee.

The deadline for nominations is Saturday March 11 and nominees will need one other member to act as sponsor.

Attendance at the AGM is welcome, but the secretary of the Rovers Trust must be given advance notice.

Successful nominees will be joining the established committee, which is highly experienced in running the Trust on behalf of members.

Register here by 11th March to register to attend the AGM and complete this form by 11th March to register your nomination for the committee.

Just now, preston blue said:

Ozz, are they standing down to be re-elected or is that it from Wayne, Dan and Neil?

If they are standing down for good then in my humble opinion then that is sadly the end of Rovers Trust.

Thanks chaps; you have done a decent job in challenging circumstances.

All three are not standing for re-election Mike. Oh and none taken!

Many thanks are owed to the three standing down, and Ozz for stepping up to the plate to inform us.

BRFC's decline could not have been averted by them (or anyone else) and the RT should not be made a proxy target of fans' disaffection in the absence of those actually responsible.

That said, the Rovers Trust does need revitalisation and a new board will certainly help achieve this. A tenner a year insurance for a group who can pick up the fragments when Rovers are eventually completely shattered has got to be worthwhile...

The Rovers Action Group have also been stalwart in fighting for the BRFC cause as have numerous other fan groups and individuals.

The fact that Rovers have been discussed in Parliament this week shows that past and current protests (with what they illuminate and confront) are vital.

We all hold Rovers dear to our heart ( by that I mean OUR club, not the dubious individuals and chancers who have been and are trying to exploit it).

Never more apposite...

We Are Rovers 

Now the shackles of "Chairman" will soon be released my intention is to be far more publicly vocal and challenging. It has been an absolute privilege to be involved in the inception and running of Rovers Trust. I will always remain a member and help support the committee.

I have received various personal criticisms over the years from keyboard warriors and felt unable to respond. Now I don't. I am a season ticket holder and always open for chats to anyone who wants to discuss before and after games. Strangely enough there hasn't been that many ? 

I will answer anyone who makes themselves known but won't answer private usernames on message boards unless they make themselves known. You know who I am its only fair I get the same respect back.

Hopefully there will be a number of nominations from supporters who can make a difference, always remembering the core values of RT. To own a portion or whole of Blackburn Rovers for the benefit of the community and the long term prosperity of the club. 

In my humble opinion I cant see any reason why RT cant have at least 10,000 members paying £10 each that would allow 2/3 full time employees to really drive this forward. With a real marketing drive the membership should increase dramatically. Its now time for others to step forward with new ideas. I sincerely hope the right people do.

Onwards and upwards.

Just now, Garage Flower said:

That's exactly what needs to happen, all these separate groups come together and get properly organised democratically. 

The two groups have the same love for the club but different end goals. having 2 groups can be confusing to some but it also means action and ideas from 2 angles. Obviously this is for the new RT committee and current BRFCAG committees to decide.

Just now, Wayne Wild said:

The two groups have the same love for the club but different end goals. having 2 groups can be confusing to some but it also means action and ideas from 2 angles. Obviously this is for the new RT committee and current BRFCAG committees to decide.

As an outsider looking in it seems to me that we need to have one group all signing from the same hymn sheet working towards a common goal.

The fan base is divided and ultimately that's only hurting each other. We're a lot stronger as one voice. 

On 16/03/2016 at 5:33 PM, AndyNeil said:

as with most threads on this website people pick up parts of a reply from somebody they don't like and run with that, conveniently ignoring the rest.

Somebody referred to the money paid to the Rovers Trust "as a right con", but lets not pick that up eh!

Let's do pick it up. A "right con" ? 

If you've got any specific questions especially from an accountant then ask away. I'm happy to reply to all serious and decent questions in the full open domain.

I'm happy to do more podcasts to discuss live with you all aspects of the Trust or anyone else. You also know my private mobile number that I texted you. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Wayne, can I asked how many times you have tried to communication with the current owners? Also what does people at Rovers like Cheston, Slivester actually say to you?

We have written many letters and prepared detailed presentations that have taken months to prepare. We will start to publish these to prove the content. We were told from all senior executives they were sent to Mrs Desai. I don't believe now they were. I think individuals were protecting themselves. We never one received any official replies in 5 years of trying. That in itself is an absolute scandal. 

I held a meeting in the boardroom with Mike Cheston and Paul Senior  prior to the Blackpool game. This resulted in me making the decision not to stand for re-election. I don't think I personally can make the breakthrough. They don't have the authority or I don't have the capability. Either way its time for someone else to pick up the baton. Preferably people with contacts and networks at high level.

Just now, Garage Flower said:

As an outsider looking in it seems to me that we need to have one group all signing from the same hymn sheet working towards a common goal.

The fan base is divided and ultimately that's only hurting each other. We're a lot stronger as one voice. 

The fan base isn't divided. Different groups want different end results, that's healthy. The only thing that's divided is the owners to the executives and the owners and the fans. That's what change is needed. All groups can come together under one banner but if the owners continue to have complete and utter disregard for the supporters then nothing will change. The executives of the club have almost no capability or authority to make even the very basic day to day decisions without it be authorised via India. This also cascades to the staff who constantly feel nervous of the situation.

We have written many letters and prepared detailed presentations that have taken months to prepare. We will start to publish these to prove the content. We were told from all senior executives they were sent to Mrs Desai. I don't believe now they were. I think individuals were protecting themselves. We never one received any official replies in 5 years of trying. That in itself is an absolute scandal. 

I held a meeting in the boardroom with Mike Cheston and Paul Senior  prior to the Blackpool game. This resulted in me making the decision not to stand for re-election. I don't think I personally can make the breakthrough. They don't have the authority or I don't have the capability. Either way its time for someone else to pick up the baton. Preferably people with contacts and networks at high level.

Could you go into more detail on the meeting prior to th Blackpool game? 

Just now, Jbizzle said:

Could you go into more detail on the meeting prior to th Blackpool game? 

I asked specially again the situation of a meeting in India with the owners and/or a pre meeting with their representatives. The outcome was clear that this wasn't going to happen. I wasn't even convinced the requests even moved out of Ewood. The glimmer of light finally disappeared and I felt it was time for someone else to take the lead.

Despite personal promises from Jack Straw, Kate Hollern MP, Jake Berry MP, Graham Jones MP to all come to India with me after all having private meetings at the club too it was clear there was going to be no offer of a meeting.

I promised at the WAR meeting to try to organise a meeting to India but I could not get the club / owners to commit. The week holiday I saved to go at a moments notice at my own expense can now be spent doing something else.

Mike/Paul have very little authority. Its no point being critical of them if they cant change the situation either. They are employees have must follow instructions of their bosses.

On 29/01/2017 at 0:23 PM, Dunnfc said:

Appreciate Ozz's post and time he's put in to date, but it needs as Neal says a total overhaul. My impressions of Wayne Wild for some reason makes me feel quite uneasy although i've never met him and quite convincingly perhaps wrong!

Looking at this paragraph it suggests you are not addressing reality;

Right now we need to concentrate on batting down the hatches in relation to the clubs assets and making them CAV's like Ewood to restrict any attempted Venky sale and also aim at lowering the value and market if we do indeed enter administration. E.G If an asset is for a sporting purpose only it's highly unlikely there would be to much interest as opposed to a developer etc without CAV's, this includes Brockhole, Car Parks the lot!

We also need to start looking at insolvency, administration and possible newco events.

Your impressions of me make you feel uneasy as you've never met me but easy enough to post this hurtful statement on a message board ?

If you want to ring me or come and introduce yourself to discuss all this Rovers then feel free. Otherwise please refrain from these messages as I have 2 boys and a family who read them.

Time now for grown up conversations. I'm happy to interact with any sensible debates or questions.

Thanks Wayne for all your hard work and answering questions.

Do you think that the owners have instructed Pasha to block all communication from Fans like yourself and the MP's who at the end of the day just want a meeting? Im sure they would be nothing untowards happen but its just appears to be a massive wall of silence from them. The Communication line seems longer than ever now. Even Coyle doesnt speak to Pune or Rovers board. Its Pasha job to do that. 

I still dont even understand why they havent sold us in the recent 2 years times. They would be interest from potential buyers but they just wall of silence all of the time. No communication, no desire to involved the local community or fanbase, no proper investment in the 1st team. 

The heart of the club and fanbase has been ripped out of the club by them and they simply dont care about us. We has fans have to keep the supporting the team and the players and IMO we have to stay up. 

Wayne, do you think the club will sold in the next 12 months or do you think they keep it running to a minimum?

Hi Wayne think you might be looking at what i said from the wrong angle there. 

Will drop you a DM.

Your comments of critique from others as part of standing down, i personally found odd. You surely understand that being in the spot light with the RT is going to attract some form of alternative comment? You and the RT will always have a number of detractors but i would think this is understandable in any organisation so for me i can't see how it would be an influence to stand down?

Your impressions of me make you feel uneasy as you've never met me but easy enough to post this hurtful statement on a message board ?

If you want to ring me or come and introduce yourself to discuss all this Rovers then feel free. Otherwise please refrain from these messages as I have 2 boys and a family who read them.

Time now for grown up conversations. I'm happy to interact with any sensible debates or questions.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Wild said:

Mike/Paul have very little authority. Its no point being critical of them if they cant change the situation either. They are employees have must follow instructions of their bosses.

They are employees because they chose to apply for positions at a football club where they knew they would end up being figureheads, and potentially bearing the brunt of the anger and frustration of the fans. They are being paid handsomely for this privilege whilst at the same time insulting the intelligence of the fans by calling Coyle 'the outstanding candidate' (Cheston) or spouting inane middle-management drivel (Senior). They work for Venky's, not Rovers, and any criticism is entirely justified.  

As for 10,000 fans paying a tenner each every year into the Trust I think that's a brilliant idea.  I'm sure some could afford more. I doubt the Venky reign will end well for the club so it's vital a group/trust with Rovers at heart has some funds in place to help when the inevitable happens. It's also vital that the group/trust has a strong influence over the future direction of the club when this nightmare finally ends, so it doesn't happen again. 

I'd hope all Rovers fans would support an initiative like this.

Archived