BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ruben Rochina

Tom

Should we have kept him?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, simple answers - should we have kept Ruben?

• Yes
    • No

The guy has had his chance and failed to establish himself. He shows flashes of brilliance but 90% of the time is anonymous. Furthermore he no longer fits into our system / playing style and is probably one of our higher earners.

It's time to get rid if anyone will take him off us.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But good enough for La Liga? :blink:

I've seem him in the premiership and championship many times, I'd much rather have Dunn on 1 leg and I bet you 95% of Rovers fans would agree.

I've seem him in the premiership and championship many times, I'd much rather have Dunn on 1 leg and I bet you 95% of Rovers fans would agree.

You might but I'd rather have Keith Andrews than dunny when he's sat with yet another pretend injury in the stands.

Btw Will you still say that in 1/2/5 or so years time?

You might but I'd rather have Keith Andrews than dunny when he's sat with yet another pretend injury in the stands.

Btw Will you still say that in 1/2/5 or so years time?

If you'd rather have Keith Andrews that says more about you than it does about Dunn.

As for Rochina, he's so far been nothing more than a sulking show poney and I'm not sure that's ever going to change. I'd love him to turn out to be another Tugay or better, but I just can't see it.

You love Dunny because he's local. We get it, Tubbs.

Still doesn't explain why Rochina's good enough to play in the Spanish top flight but, according to our resident experts, only fit for half-time entertainment.

You love Dunny because he's local. We get it, Tubbs.

Still doesn't explain why Rochina's good enough to play in the Spanish top flight but, according to our resident experts, only fit for half-time entertainment.

Dunn has been a fantastic servant to the club, that's why I like him, same with hundreds of other players I could mention, nothing to do with him being a local lad at all.

Rochina has done nothing in a Rovers shirt so doesn't deserve to be spoken about in the same breath as far as I'm concerned.

Just my opinion of course.

I'd prefer Dunn in a wheelchair !

As long as it's motorised!

For me, there is absolutely No comparison between Dunn and Rochina.

One has consistently affected matches when selected and been amongst our most skilful players in the entire squad.

The other has done diddly squat ever since he arrived and been rejected by all his managers. You have to wonder why?

One has consistently affected matches when selected and been amongst our most skilful players in the entire squad.

The other has done diddly squat ever since he arrived and been rejected by all his managers. You have to wonder why?

People seem to forget Dunn was heading for the exit door under Tony Parkes. He didn't burst onto the scene until Souness took him under his wing and gave him the freedom to achieve his potential. Rochina has been (mis)managed by one lame excuse for a manager after another, none of whom had the tactical nous or man-management skills to bring the best out of his mercurial talent. Sure, the guy's frustrating and can overplay it, but he's worth carrying because of what he offers going forward, not to mention the opposition instinctively double on him, freeing up space for the rest of the team.

People seem to forget Dunn was heading for the exit door under Tony Parkes. He didn't burst onto the scene until Souness took him under his wing and gave him the freedom to achieve his potential. Rochina has been (mis)managed by one lame excuse for a manager after another, none of whom had the tactical nous or man-management skills to bring the best out of his mercurial talent. Sure, the guy's frustrating and can overplay it, but he's worth carrying because of what he offers going forward, not to mention the opposition instinctively double on him, freeing up space for the rest of the team.

You've said all that before.

Have Best, Goodwillie, Murphy, Etuhu, Orr, Campbell and a million Portugese youngsters also been mid-managed? Were they all superstars prevented from fulfilling their development at Rovers through poor management?

Or is it just Rochina you cut all this slack?

Have Best, Goodwillie, Murphy, Etuhu, Orr, Campbell and a million Portugese youngsters also been mid-managed? Were they all superstars prevented from fulfilling their development at Rovers through poor management?

Best has definitely been mis-managed but that's the motliest of motley crews to use as an example.

The rest don't have anywhere near the skill of Rochina, certainly not for the kind of role being talked about.

Question 1: do we need to replace Dunn's role as someone who can drive forward and attack the opposition with the ball at his feet?

Question 2: if so, who with?

Agreed!

With apologies to a certain Mr Bennet,.."He has delighted us long enough"

Are any of them currently playing in La Liga or an equivalent level?

• Backroom

Are any of them currently playing in La Liga or an equivalent level?

Tbh, mate, when we've had Bramble as a PL player for years, I'm not sure that kind of statement matters. LaLiga is far different to the Championship in that Rochina has more time on the ball out there. And is still ineffective ;)

I was going to say, what impact has Rochina had in La Liga? I reckon the bottom end of La Liga is comparable to the top end of the Championship anyway.

There's no doubting his skill but its his decision making and application that gets called into question. He has the attributes but how often has he put them to effective use? On paper he could tear this league apart but he hasn't taken his opportunities. I'd like to see him get more of a chance next season but I'd be surprised if he stayed. He'd be a very handy player to bring on and there aren't many Rochina's going round in the Championship.

Tbh, mate, when we've had Bramble as a PL player for years, I'm not sure that kind of statement matters. LaLiga is far different to the Championship in that Rochina has more time on the ball out there. And is still ineffective ;)

It's a false analogy to argue that because Etuhu, Orr, Murphy etc. have done feck all, that the same applies to Rochina, without taking into account the respective player's abilities & attitudes. Like I said, Dunn (not to mention Jansen & Duff) were goners at Ewood before Souness walked in. Parkes obviously thought they were a luxury we couldn't afford. People shouldn't be so quick to dismiss someone as undoubtedly talented as Rochina, when he has returned to La Liga and helped steer Rayo from relegation. Of course, his critics will continue to come up with whatever specious and spurious reasons they can for why he's not good enough for the Chumpionship.

We've done much better playing 4-4-2 recently and surely that must be the tactics for next year with the wingers we have got. As Rochina doesn't fit into that he'd be a sub at best if he stayed. As he's probably on a fortune as he signed in the JA/SK era then if we can get someone to take him off our hands we should be jumping at the chance considering the money we are losing at the moment. Personally I love skilful players but don't think much of show ponies who contribute very little to the team, He's hardly a Jansen, Dunn, Duff or Tugay is he? He's a classic case of a player who was frustrating and ineffectual when he was here but has become a demi-God since he was sent out on loan.

It's a false analogy to argue that because Etuhu, Orr, Murphy etc. have done feck all, that the same applies to Rochina, without taking into account the respective player's abilities & attitudes. Like I said, Dunn (not to mention Jansen & Duff) were goners at Ewood before Souness walked in. Parkes obviously thought they were a luxury we couldn't afford. People shouldn't be so quick to dismiss someone as undoubtedly talented as Rochina, when he has returned to La Liga and helped steer Rayo from relegation. Of course, his critics will continue to come up with whatever specious and spurious reasons they can for why he's not good enough for the Chumpionship.

You said he had been mis-managed, hence his poor show to date. Other players been and gone could all yawningly say the same. It's just way too convenient.

I believe a player needs to take personal responsibility for his attitude, performances, contribution, value for money and lasting effectiveness within the team structure he agreed to join. Simple as that.

Rochina is a million miles away from a season long, week in week out quality contribution for us at this level. Ive seen it all before, all the gear but no effing idea and it is really frustrating as you search for reasons why they don't fulfill anything close to their obvious potential. I think he's either a bit thick, a bit childish, or is already celebrating his pro football millionaire status with his shiny car and hangers on.

Give me the likes of Scotty Sellars anyday. Totally different gravy. Don't think he ever 'graced' La Liga though, so you won't rate him.

He's a classic case of a player who was frustrating and ineffectual when he was here but has become a demi-God since he was sent out on loan.

See, childish strawman arguments like this do little to dignify your position.

No one has ever stated that Rochina's a world-beater. In fact, most of his supporters concede that he's an incredibly frustrating player at times and could stand to his improve his overall game. By the same token, his critics would be hard-pressed to deny that the guy is technically gifted and one of the few players we have who can run at defenders and pull players out of position.

When he started the first game of the season, him and Rhodes had Derby on the backfoot. It was terrible that he was sidelined for months, because it looked like Bowyer was prepared to give him his chance. Then he returned from serious injury and the knives were out again because he wasn't walking it into the back of the net.

No one has ever stated that Rochina's a world-beater. In fact, most of his supporters concede that he's an incredibly frustrating player at times and could stand to his improve his overall game. By the same token, his critics would be hard-pressed to deny that the guy is technically gifted and one of the few players we have who can run at defenders and pull players out of position.

When he started the first game of the season, him and Rhodes had Derby on the backfoot. It was terrible that he was sidelined for months, because it looked like Bowyer was prepared to give him his chance. Then he returned from serious injury and the knives were out again because he wasn't walking it into the back of the net.

He was awful against Derby, he kept losing the ball and we looked much more dangerous when Best came on.

People seem to forget Dunn was heading for the exit door under Tony Parkes. He didn't burst onto the scene until Souness took him under his wing and gave him the freedom to achieve his potential.

This isn't a Dunn v Rochina debate but we have one player that's had hundreds of games in a Rovers shirt, won several honours and then we have Rochina.

I'd love Rochina to turn into a David Dunn or Tugay, but sadly I can't see it happening and that hurts the club more than anything else and nobody wants that.

like i said toppers the haters love the hoofball and dont like a bit of skills.

Yeah you said it earlier like it actually meant something. Haters? I've never hated any Rovers player you turnip.

You think stepovers, shooting high, blind alleys, beating the same man twice = skills. I see skill in correct decision making, effectiveness and lasting contributions.

You trot out that line in every Rhodes discussion as well. I'm now a Rhodes hater and a Rochina hater seemingly. Who else begins with R?

Good post. Feels a bit unfinished though.

He was awful against Derby, he kept losing the ball and we looked much more dangerous when Best came on.

*sigh* We've been here before. Too bad most match reports disagree with you.

They [Derby] were under pressure early on though with Blackburn dominant and Spaniard Ruben Rochina a constant threat just behind lone striker Jordan Rhodes. - BBC

Best's introduction for Rochina seemed to disrupt Blackburn's rhythm but I just wonder if a tactical half-time team-talk will help Rovers regain an attacking stance in the second-half - they did start very well.
An enjoyable first half, which Blackburn were in control of until Rochina was forced off seven minutes before the break. - Daily Mail
Come back they had to after all the good work early on, somewhat cruelly, was undone in the space of four minutes towards the end of the first half, when insult was swiftly added to injury. First, the influential Rochina was taken off on a stretcher and on to hospital with a shoulder problem. - The Guardian

Archived