BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ruben Rochina

Tom

Should we have kept him?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, simple answers - should we have kept Ruben?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's fault is it we never got the best out of Rochina? Owners, managers, fans or Rochina himself?

I don't see fans blaming previous managers as the reason why (list about 20 recently sold, loaned or paid off players) other lads did not perform.

Genuine question. Why did our managers not rate him enough as he was here long enough for them to see exactly what he could do? Maybe stepovers, back heels, back flicks, overhead kicks, blind alley dribbling and pursuing the wrong option are not highly valued at professional level?

Kean, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer. Not managers of the same standing as Souness, Hughes or Allardyce.

The latter managed to find room for Okocha by building a team around him to accommodate his ability. We'll never know if, with a decent run, he could have made a partnership with Rhodes by taking up the Dunn role. Personally, I think the reason he's been isolated, turning fans against him, and ultimately why he will be sold has little to do with his perceived lack of contribution on the field and has more to do with Rovers contribution to his bank balance off it. Although, I still don't think Bowyer can accommodate flair players.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11089868.Loan_star_Ruben_Rochina_is_in_demand/

Kean, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer. Not managers of the same standing as Souness, Hughes or Allardyce.

The latter managed to find room for Okocha by building a team around him to accommodate his ability. We'll never know if, with a decent run, he could have made a partnership with Rhodes by taking up the Dunn role. Personally, I think the reason he's been isolated, turning fans against him, and ultimately why he will be sold has little to do with his perceived lack of contribution on the field and has more to do with Rovers contribution to his bank balance off it. Although, I still don't think Bowyer can accommodate flair players.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11089868.Loan_star_Ruben_Rochina_is_in_demand/

Personally think that since all coaches have been taught the same way, they all now think the same way. They all have the most not lose mentality. While they have this there will be no place for the likes of Rochina. Players will shake their heads when someone tries something different. The days of being adventurous are gone.

Yesterday's game a prime example. The match was there for winning but Bowyer went for Taylor as a sub when King would have given less protection but give you another attacking option.

This is why I said Rovers couldn't afford to have him on the books. In the present climate we can't carry players who the manager is afraid to use.

The more I read this thread, the more I think we fully deserve a team of skill-less plodders. The attendance figures at Ewood tend to agree.

The attendance figures have plummeted since certain Indian owners took over and results plummeted. People will turn up to watch a successful winning team but not an attractive one that loses.

Rochina gets better by the day in this thread. Is he in Spain's World Cup squad yet ?

Rochina gets better by the day in this thread. Is he in Spain's World Cup squad yet ?

Sorry I forgot being in an international squad at the World Cup is the minimum requirement to play for Blackburn Rovers in the Championship. :rolleyes:

You do realise it's March 2014, not 1998, don't you?

It's all about context for me. I remember watching the game and RR's shot.

We had only won 3 of our last 10 league games, we were one nil up against a relegation fodder team in Yeovil, and with 10/15 mins to go I was desperate for a 2nd goal considering how vulnerable we are to late equalisers.

We had a great attacking position and then RR goes and does that after only having been on as a sub for a short period. Total garbage and an insult to the players that had busted their humps for an hour before he arrived IMO. I suggest that is why JL is shaking his head.

If a player can't put the team first, then I don't want them near the team sheet, and perhaps this is what Bowyer decided too.

Crying shame really, as I enjoy watching him play, and agree that he is one of the most skillful players in our squad, but some people are just not willing to learn.

I completely agree with you. Because we did survive to win the game, I remember some people, focusing on the undeniable skill of the shot. My kids, for instance, watched it over and again, ( while I pulled a Charles Laughton face!) It is a team game and I think Rochina placed his own egocentric, self indulgent, fancy dan needs before the opportunity to make the game safe for the team.

Whatever Lowe's standing on this message board, his shake of the head reflected exactly how I would have felt, had I been one of his team mates. It shouldn't be about status either. If Tugay had been the one shaking his head, everyone would have thought,"Quite right!" Speedie would probably have gobbed Rochina for doing that...

I completely agree with Leonard...

...Venkhater's kids.

It seems we have all forgotten why we watch professional football in the first place. If you only want graft, have a stroll down Pleasy of a Saturday morning. It was one moment of sublime skill in 90 minutes of football and he gets hammered for it. Lowe should have been shaking his head as to how the hell he has managed to sneak onto the pitch alongside him.

I do agree in part though, Leonard, the player's standing shouldn't be a factor. Because I f Tugay had taken that shot on the crowd would have been on its collective feet and Lowe wouldn't have dared shake his 50p-shaped head. Yet because it's Rochina, the pantomime villain, it's sneered at.

It makes me want to weep.

...Venkhater's kids.

It seems we have all forgotten why we watch professional football in the first place. If you only want graft, have a stroll down Pleasy of a Saturday morning. It was one moment of sublime skill in 90 minutes of football and he gets hammered for it. Lowe should have been shaking his head as to how the hell he has managed to sneak onto the pitch alongside him.

I do agree in part though, Leonard, the player's standing shouldn't be a factor. Because I f Tugay had taken that shot on the crowd would have been on its collective feet and Lowe wouldn't have dared shake his 50p-shaped head. Yet because it's Rochina, the pantomime villain, it's sneered at.

Haha.....Through your tears, can you read the word "CONTEXT"?

...Venkhater's kids.

I agree with you as to why we watch football. I could run around all day, I wanted to watch players who could do things with the ball I couldn't. I'm seeing that less and less with the players at Ewood these days.

...Venkhater's kids.

This post should make anyone weep because it's the biggest load of self-serving rubbish.

As far as I'm concerned (and I'm sure many others) I go to Rovers to watch the team win - and if any player makes me jump out of my seat with excitement well, that just an added bonus really.

Lowe is going to have a long and successful career in English football while Rochina will be remembered vaguely as a bit-part player who wasn't good enough to make the grade.

And making comments about the shape of Lowe's head is stupid and childish.

The more I read this thread, the more I think we fully deserve a team of skill-less plodders. The attendance figures at Ewood tend to agree.

How absolutely true Stuart. If you are huge and can run for ever you will get plaudits on here. Have a bit of flair and you are a show pony. Messi would not get a game.

This post should make anyone weep because it's the biggest load of self-serving rubbish.

As far as I'm concerned (and I'm sure many others) I go to Rovers to watch the team win - and if any player makes me jump out of my seat with excitement well, that just an added bonus really.

Lowe is going to have a long and successful career in English football while Rochina will be remembered vaguely as a bit-part player who wasn't good enough to make the grade.

If you call toiling in the lower leagues having a long and successful career you're probably right....one is starting in La Liga, one is starting by default in a mediocre championship squad...remind me of the clubs who have shown interest in Lowe

He'll certainly have a long career at Rovers because nobody is likely to buy him off us whilst Rochina is heading for a long and successful career with a far better team in a far better league.

EDIT

Posted before I saw your post onlyoneDuff.

I'm not surprised you disagree with me. You usually do.

And you seriously think I'm having a pop at the shape of his head? Are you a teenager?

• Moderation Lead

"His 50p shaped head" seems pretty clear to me. Childish thing to write.

I've always interpreted anyone having a '50p head' as being bad at heading, maybe that's just me....

An Everton fan at work, in the same vein, used to call James McFadden 'sheriff's badge head' :lol:

Souness is not one I would imagine would be a Rochina type manager, he never did have much time for fancy dans hence dunny being shipped off to Brum. Not sure BFS would have had much time for him either. Mark Hughes a team manager probably wouldn't get in his side either so that just leaves.... oh it doesn't leave anyone. What was your point again.

Archived