BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ruben Rochina

Tom

Should we have kept him?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, simple answers - should we have kept Ruben?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ruben scores the winner for Rayo Vallecano, who are now out of the relegation zone after being bottom before he arrived. Playing regularly in the best league in Europe but not good enough for us.

http://www.rayovallecano.es/en_GB/-/real-sociedad-2-rayo-vallecano-3

Best League in Europe? No way is it better than the Prem.

Teams like Villareal, Bilbao and Sociedad wouldn't be near the top 4 in this country.

Best League in Europe? No way is it better than the Prem.

Teams like Villareal, Bilbao and Sociedad wouldn't be near the top 4 in this country.

Prem? Who cares? I think the significant point to be made here is that it is some way in front of the Championship!

Bit of a parallel in my mind to the eternal mystery of why Tugay was languishing in Rangers reserves in the tin pot Scottish league before he came here to become a legend.

What makes me laugh is peoples attitudes towards those who are of the opinion that he'd be one of our best players given the proper management... Typically English attitude towards someone who has an ounce of creativity. The fact that he started his career here under Kean, following a season under 3 different managers isn't going to help his development. He should be being groomed to replace our ageing Dunny.

YET there are those one here that defend Jason Lowe because he works hard... But can't pass, score or tackle.

Absolutely clueless.

There are 91 other managers in the football league of all nationalities funny none of them came in for this genius.

There are 91 other managers in the football league of all nationalities funny none of them came in for this genius.

Too simplistic. I'm sure that wages, agent payments and other 'remuneration agreements' :glare: might well have something to do with that.

Time to close this thread. Arguments over a poor player who failed to nail down a regular place in about 3 years at the club do not make any sense and serve no purpose.

It's just debate surely. Also consider then Shay Given's career? How Patrick Anderson and Daisy May got Champions League winning medals? Why Lee Carsley played many years for Everton and the ROI after we binned him? Why Steven Reid, Scott Dann are still plying their trade in the top Division? Why MGP is still scoring goals for Norway etc.

Forgetting the step-overs and silly flicks, let's get down to brass tax. Before he was shipped off on loan last season he got 5 goals & 3 assists inn 11 starts in a struggling side. Cairney has 3 goals & 6 assists in 29 starts. And yet one of them clearly isn't cut out for this division? :blink:

I've used these sort of facts to to support my argument but they were also ignored. Like I say, he should be being moulded into taking over from Dunny.

And your point is what? No one in the lower leagues are going to realistically come in for him and no-one around us could afford his wages probably.

It's just debate surely. Also consider then Shay Given's career? How Patrick Anderson and Daisy May got Champions League winning medals? Why Lee Carsley played many years for Everton and the ROI after we binned him? Why Steven Reid, Scott Dann are still plying their trade in the top Division? Why MGP is still scoring goals for Norway etc.

I thought this thread was about Rochina?

And your point is what? No one in the lower leagues are going to realistically come in for him and no-one around us could afford his wages probably.

Absolutely. This is why none of our players in recent seasons have left the club permanently to join a Championship club, or similar. All loans, foreign deals, and mutual termination of contracts.

Only QPR would be silly enough to give Ruben the same wages as he's on here.

That being said it's a shame it hasn't worked out for him. He'll go on and be reasonably successful in Spain I'd wager.

We are certainly missing a player that can do something different at the moment. Don't think rochina is the answer but we do need a player that can do something different, someone who takes players on or play a killer pass. King, Cairney and Dunn are the ones in our current squad that can do that. Two are injured and one is old.

GB is building from the back. It's what all good managers do, you need a solid base to work from. Hughes did the same, he brought in grafters like Savage and then added the creativity with players like Bellamy. Allardyce did the same. He got the defence sorted first.

How on Earth can you say that King can play the killer pass better than Rochina?

Never bloody saw him because our dimshit managers never picked him.

Ruben seems to get better every game he doesn't play.

Some fans can't or don't want to admit that he's been average in his Rovers career.

IMO he's not the sort of player for the Championship, he doesn't work hard enough for the team. Also he's a little injury prone.

54 Apps

11 Goals

10000 Stepovers

Can anyone name a match where Rochina had a standout performance?

Fulham away the only game I really remember being impressed by him. And that was nearly 3 years ago!

Some fans can't or don't want to admit that he's been average in his Rovers career.

IMO he's not the sort of player for the Championship, he doesn't work hard enough for the team. Also he's a little injury prone.

54 Apps

11 Goals

10000 Stepovers

Fulham away the only game I really remember being impressed by him. And that was nearly 3 years ago!

Spot on.

54 Apps

11 Goals

10000 Stepovers

I remember one Matty Jansen looking rather lightweight when he first joined, and being close to the exit door under Parkes until a proper manager took over and whipped the best out of him. Not once, in his three years spent in this country, has Rochina had someone capable of molding his potential. Far easier to ship him out on loan and build a team of mediocre workmen.

I can't remember the last time any Rovers player had a stand out performance.

Well apart from Rhodes - but there are probably 100 people on here who will tell me he hasn't - so, yeah, no-one.

I remember one Matty Jansen looking rather lightweight when he first joined, and being close to the exit door under Parkes until a proper manager took over and whipped the best out of him. Not once, in his three years spent in this country, has Rochina had someone capable of molding his potential. Far easier to ship him out on loan and build a team of mediocre workmen.

Rochina is nothing like Jansen. People totally exaggerate how good he has been, usually those who have never actually seen him play.

He might have a role to play but he hasn't shown signs of anything like the quality that people often mention.

Look at his performance v Derby. He was shocking, incredibly wasteful and ruined almost every attack. Best came on, bullied their defence and scored. Yet people often refer back that game to support Rochina!

Rochina is nothing like Jansen. People totally exaggerate how good he has been, usually those who have never actually seen him play.

He might have a role to play but he hasn't shown signs of anything like the quality that people often mention.

Look at his performance v Derby. He was shocking, incredibly wasteful and ruined almost every attack. Best came on, bullied their defence and scored. Yet people often refer back that game to support Rochina!

First time I've heard that version of the Derby match. Most gave me the impression that he was playing really well.

Problem with Rochina is that he is blessed with a real talent on the ball but will never put a hard shift in and dig deep off it. The type of selfless graft that any football journeyman can do...... So thats two of those that we have. I wonder if there is something in the water down at Brockhall?

We have plenty of journeymen. A player like Rochina would be nice to have.

My worry is not so much about Rochina's qualities or supposed lack of them (opinions and all that). I'm concerned that, under Bowyer, the chances watching anyone who has any flair at all diminishes with every transfer window.

I've seen enough of Rochina to know he has more individual quality than anyone in our squad. If we at any point had a manager who knew how to deal with the flamboyant, luxury-types then maybe I'd concede. Until we do, my point stands.

It's not that Rochina gets better the more games he doesn't play. It's that the team's getting worse.

Archived