BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ruben Rochina

Tom

Should we have kept him?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, simple answers - should we have kept Ruben?

• Yes
    • No

I still remember the first time DG appeared at the circus. He honestly looked like he had his feet on the wrong way around.We couldn't take our eyes off him...a bit like Victorians with The Elephant Man, I suppose. Are you old enough to remember John O'Mara?

Big bad john,

had to have a nose op I believe to improve his breathing, apparently so he could run better,

didn't work as far as i could see

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you old enough to remember John O'Mara?

Are you old enough to rem Alan Gilliver, Jim Fryatt and Frank Lord Leonard?

When I started watching we had top dollar strikers in Fred Pick and Andy McEvoy, after they left their replacements John Byropm and Malcolm Darling were definitely a step down and those 3 above were two steps down on them! :(

Are you old enough to rem Alan Gilliver, Jim Fryatt and Frank Lord Leonard?

When I started watching we had top dollar strikers in Fred Pick and Andy McEvoy, after they left their replacements John Byropm and Malcolm Darling were definitely a step down and those 3 above were two steps down on them! :(

I started late, but Jim Fryatt was on the books in my first 2 seasons.

My mates used to go starry eyed, when telling me about McEvoy and Pickering. I saw for myself what a mistake had been made every time Byrom scored against us for Bolton

Your analysis was the one shared by Alf " some of my older readers will remember" Thornton. The pattern of replacing high quality with lesser quality has brought us to where we are now etc.(Third Division at the time).He was usually talking about strikers.

I don't think I really understood the enormity of this pattern until the last few years.

I started late, but Jim Fryatt was on the books in my first 2 seasons.

My mates used to go starry eyed, when telling me about McEvoy and Pickering. I saw for myself what a mistake had been made every time Byrom scored against us for Bolton

Your analysis was the one shared by Alf " some of my older readers will remember" Thornton. The pattern of replacing high quality with lesser quality has brought us to where we are now etc.(Third Division at the time).He was usually talking about strikers.

I don't think I really understood the enormity of this pattern until the last few years.

It is one of the givens in football

buy lower quality players get lower quality football,

the trend for rovers was reversed slightly 1st by Gordon Lee

Furphy for me. Field was the first reliable, regular Rovers goalscorer I saw. Don Martin came good again later under Lee.

Good point, personally I thought the change in fortunes came with the pairing of Parkes and Metcalfe in midfield

Pub player is about right. DG may well be the worst striker I have ever seen at Ewood and I've seen a few dodgy ones in my time. Svarc, Bell, Kennedy and Quinn all brought more to the table than him and cost buttons in comparison.

Add Martin Dahlin to that........... .I have to agree about DG, first time I saw him I thought he was some mid/late thirties hasbeen that had come here to add, er...."some experience" to the side or something. I couldn't believe someone that young could be so slow. Anyway, it's a pity he won't be able to play against us next Saturday as It'd be a sure fire clean sheet.

Generally speaking, people will always see what they see. I don't think Rochina got a fair go in the side and as someone else has said, it seemed every fancy dan flick that went wrong got written in stone whereas other players that regularly give the ball away seem to go unnoticed in that regard. I'm still to be convinced by King too, for me he's got pace but just runs like a headless chicken has no guile and can't finish. I'd rather have Rochina any day.

King has played 23 games this season and has 1 goal and 3 assists and this is his break out season where he has been so called outstanding at times. He's far more frustrating than rochina and frankly nowhere near as good

King has played 23 games this season and has 1 goal and 3 assists and this is his break out season where he has been so called outstanding at times. He's far more frustrating than rochina and frankly nowhere near as good

If both players could iron out the flaws in the game they would both have been at a better standard club than Rovers.

Both have serious flaws so both are Championship at best.

Frankly both are equally flawed in the fact that both have no end product to their game.

Funny how the supporters frequently chanted for Rochina to come on isn't it? I can't rem similar chants for DG or anybody else for that matter. Surely the Rochina haters can't be accused of going oTT in their criticisms can they?

There is one player......David Dunn

There`s no I in team, but there is a real big one in Rochina. Talented lad but would be better in a pro five-a-side league, should such a thing exist. The reason why fans want to see him given a chance is he can do things with a ball that nobody else at the club can do. This desire to have a superstar on the pitch in the blue and white halves causes many of the paying public to be tempted to forgive or ignore the obvious failings in his game (IE he`s a greedy b*****d who couldn't`t tackle a glass of hot Vimto). Same logic applies to Rhodes-obvious weaknesses are ignored because he`s as good a finisher of moves in the division, and after the constant diet of gruel and porridge these two can serve up flashes of Champagne football. We are simply having cravings for excitement.

(God I`m hungry)

• Backroom

There`s no I in team, but there is a real big one in Rochina. Talented lad but would be better in a pro five-a-side league, should such a thing exist. The reason why fans want to see him given a chance is he can do things with a ball that nobody else at the club can do. This desire to have a superstar on the pitch in the blue and white halves causes many of the paying public to be tempted to forgive or ignore the obvious failings in his game (IE he`s a greedy b*****d who couldn't`t tackle a glass of hot Vimto). Same logic applies to Rhodes-obvious weaknesses are ignored because he`s as good a finisher of moves in the division, and after the constant diet of gruel and porridge these two can serve up flashes of Champagne football. We are simply having cravings for excitement.

(God I`m hungry)

Haha, brilliant!

I think that's for a reason. While I agree that the quality of our managers has been pretty bad since Venkys took over, over the last three years Rochina has been uninjured enough to be tried extensively in the side but, for some reason, hasn't been.

Who knows what goes on at Brockhall? Something obviously indicates to qualified coaching staff (whose opinions surely outweigh ours) that he's not right for a starting place. I have no idea what the exact reason is but can only speculate that he's not special enough to have a system fit around him or he's just not that good. To me, the latter seems more likely - he has on-the-ball skill (and even then is it really that great as people make out?) but absolutely no off-the-ball skill or brain to boost his overall game.

Pure supposition.

• 1 month later...

I cannot understand this continuing love affair with a player who always flattered to deceive during his time at Rovers. The demands of the English game are different to those in Spain and Rochina never showed at any stage that he could adapt.

I cannot understand this continuing love affair with a player who always flattered to deceive during his time at Rovers. The demands of the English game are different to those in Spain and Rochina never showed at any stage that he could adapt.

Did he get the chance?

What was his longest run of consecutive starts?

The only decent replacement for Dunny and let go because the manager isn't good enough to accommodate his skill. My God we could have done with him against the Dingles.

The only decent replacement for Dunny and let go because the manager isn't good enough to accommodate his skill. My God we could have done with him against the Dingles.

Loved watching Rochina play but I'd have replaced Dunn with either Judge or Taylor on Sunday and kept the same formation.

Archived