BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ruben Rochina

Tom

Should we have kept him?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, simple answers - should we have kept Ruben?

• Yes
    • No

Souness is not one I would imagine would be a Rochina type manager, he never did have much time for fancy dans hence dunny being shipped off to Brum. Not sure BFS would have had much time for him either. Mark Hughes a team manager probably wouldn't get in his side either so that just leaves.... oh it doesn't leave anyone. What was your point again.

Clearly your opinion is the only approval I was looking for on this, damn.

Although I must have dreamt Okocha and Djorkaef playing for Allardyce. My badness.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Souness is not one I would imagine would be a Rochina type manager, he never did have much time for fancy dans hence dunny being shipped off to Brum. Not sure BFS would have had much time for him either. Mark Hughes a team manager probably wouldn't get in his side either so that just leaves.... oh it doesn't leave anyone. What was your point again.

Souness wasn't my favourite manager but he knew a poor player when he saw one and Rochina fits that category. 50p or Ruben Rochina? I'll take the cash please. On another note, I see the "new Souness" had a good win over Southampton today.

There was a young player who under previous managers who used to run down blind alleys, do one trick too many etc. Souness picked him and looked what happened. That was Matt Jansen.

In the case of Dunn it was more to do with his off field activities than his footballing ones.

Probably went off to rearrange his tutu......

Or maybe injured. Not been on here all that long have you Wilpshire and all your posts appear to be sarcastic and negative. Don't need them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Watched a bit of our old pal Ruben last night on Sky for last 20 mins of game. Same old, same old.

Was interesting to hear the commentator, a neutral viewer, pick him up on the things we have all seen.

After an Espanyol spell of pressure on the goal, he said - "That has all come about because of Ruben Rochina losing the ball in the RB area by trying to be too cute. He has to learn the areas on the pitch where he can do that, and where he simply needs to clear. It's almost cost his team a goal by trying to be too cute." (Roughly).

Fast forward about 10 mins later, and with Rayo leading 2-1, Espanyol pushing for equaliser get caught on the break ,so Ruben has the ball at his feet in a 3 on 2 situation. Does he take advantage of the situation by slotting one of his teammates in to put the game to bed? Nope, he does a shimmy, a stepover and then fires the ball straight down the keepers throat. So frustrating, the other players were going mental at him.

Then Espanyol equalise in the last few minutes and Rayo lose 2 points.

Not saying it's all Ruben's fault, and as usual he showed some nice little touches on the ball, and a few nice pieces of skill. But poor decision making at both ends of the pitch did not help his team on this occasion. And it's been going on for far too long now.

Watched a bit of our old pal Ruben last night on Sky for last 20 mins of game. Same old, same old.

Was interesting to hear the commentator, a neutral viewer, pick him up on the things we have all seen.

After an Espanyol spell of pressure on the goal, he said - "That has all come about because of Ruben Rochina losing the ball in the RB area by trying to be too cute. He has to learn the areas on the pitch where he can do that, and where he simply needs to clear. It's almost cost his team a goal by trying to be too cute." (Roughly).

Fast forward about 10 mins later, and with Rayo leading 2-1, Espanyol pushing for equaliser get caught on the break ,so Ruben has the ball at his feet in a 3 on 2 situation. Does he take advantage of the situation by slotting one of his teammates in to put the game to bed? Nope, he does a shimmy, a stepover and then fires the ball straight down the keepers throat. So frustrating, the other players were going mental at him.

Not saying it's all Ruben's fault, and as usual he showed some nice little touches on the ball, and a few nice pieces of skill. But poor decision making at both ends of the pitch did not help his team on this occasion. And it's been going on for far too long now.

Somebody (AKA Stuart :) ) said Ruben was "an example of GB failing to work with quality"

Silas points out that in any league, RR does not possess the mental acumen to be a consistently dangerous player, as he simply does not know when he SHOULD pass it. It's like a chinless boxer with the strongest right hand in the world. Catch 22.

If this was the first 3 months of seeing Ruben, I would suggest he would or could improve, but it is looking likely that this will not happen. Bit of a shame, because he obviously possesses a high level of technical ability. The problem with English football is a it requires a level of understanding and workmanship that RR will seemingly never possess.

It's depressing to think about it - but Keith Andrews has a better proven track record at this level. Sad sad state of affairs.

We can all watch a match and pick out a few things a player does wrong if that is what you are looking for. What about the good things he does that got him picked in the team in the first place.

The Rovers supporters are undeserving of his talent as is the manager.

• Backroom

We can all watch a match and pick out a few things a player does wrong if that is what you are looking for. What about the good things he does that got him picked in the team in the first place.

A strangely defensive response.

You seem to be alluding to the fact that some of our fans have it in for him and merely pick on his flaws all the time. You may be right on this point, you may not be.

As my post explained though, the pertinent thing for me was that an unbiased experienced professional sports commentator felt the need to comment on RR and his deficiencies. The same ones that many of our fans have spoken of for years - mainly, pissing about on the ball in our own 3rd, then losing it, and putting the defence under immediate pressure.

So, was this commentator just looking for something to beat RR up about? Perhaps he is a secret Rovers fan that frequents this board. (I don't know his name).

Or is the more likely scenario that RR continues to make the same mistakes over and over, so much so that it even stands out to a fresh pair of eyes who has probably hardly ever seen him play and has no historical prejudice's against him.

I can count on 1 hand the number of good things he did during all his time at Ewood, he's not very good it's as simple as that.

I can count on 1 hand the number of good things he did during all his time at Ewood, he's not very good it's as simple as that.

Couldn't agree more Gav. Perhaps as the half-time entertainment doing one or two of his tricks and flicks might be a more suitable role.

Ruben's shortcomings are well documented. However, there's no escaping the fact that he's a technically gifted player who's playing week in, week out at a higher level than Rovers currently find themselves. Given the team's chronic inability to see games out, it seems rather petty to be thumbing one's nose at Rochina for being sloppy in possession.

I think rubens within a year away of getting to the point where if he doesnt learn now he never will.

I think if a player with his natural ability had come through a tough youth system like man united and had his flaws knocked out of him at an earlier age he probably would have gone on to be a top player, personsaly I think its looking like its to late now.(but id still really like him to be giveb another final chance here next season)

Archived