BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rest in Peace Sir Tom Finney

Tom

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It says a lot when the tributes are so glowing from everyone who knew him or saw him play. Maintaining your integrity in life is the hardest thing you'll ever do.

I remember waiting outside Ewood with my young son getting autographs a few years ago. Tom Finney came out with his wife. My son didn't know who he was but I persuaded him to ask for an autograph. Tom signed a real clear autograph, ". Best Wishes to " etc, not the scrawl you get today. I said to my son " This man was as good as George Best ". My son had seen film of Best. Tom Finney said. " Take no notice son, I wasn't nearly as good ".

Was it this day?
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/14/tom-finney-dead_n_4791171.html?ir=UK&ref=topbar
If so has anyone else spotted the error?

That 'splash' picture must be one of the greatest ever sporting snaps. PNE have done both the photographer and Sir Tom proud with the fountain too.!

My father, Bill Shankly and Tommy Doc amongst others always insisted that Finney was the best ever so that will do for me albeit that the pitches and ball produced different requirements for top players then and now. I rem people almost constantly talking about Tom Finney's exploits as a small child but I only saw him play once (which really doesn't count) when after retiring a few years earlier he came on for a second half cameo in Ronnie Claytons testimonial.... even that would have been enough to swell the gate by bringing over a number of misty eyed North Enders.

Re:Best v Finney..... Both could play in any of the 5 positions across the front line which the other 'great' Stanley Matthews could never hope to emulate but does anybody recall Bill Shanks famous comment when asked by a TV reporter if George Best was as good a player as Tom Finney? Shanks replied "Aye I think he is just about.... but you haf tae remember Toms over 50 noo!"

*Difficult to se what PNE will do now... they've already built the statue and named a stand after him! The only thing left is to change the name of the City!

Was it this day?http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/14/tom-finney-dead_n_4791171.html?ir=UK&ref=topbar

If so has anyone else spotted the error?

That 'splash' picture must be one of the greatest ever sporting snaps. PNE have done both the photographer and Sir Tom proud with the fountain too.!

My father, Bill Shankly and Tommy Doc amongst others always insisted that Finney was the best ever so that will do for me albeit that the pitches and ball produced different requirements for top players then and now. I rem people almost constantly talking about Tom Finney's exploits as a small child but I only saw him play once (which really doesn't count) when after retiring a few years earlier he came on for a second half cameo in Ronnie Claytons testimonial.... even that would have been enough to swell the gate by bringing over a number of misty eyed North Enders.

Re:Best v Finney..... Both could play in any of the 5 positions across the front line which the other 'great' Stanley Matthews could never hope to emulate but does anybody recall Bill Shanks famous comment when asked by a TV reporter if George Best was as good a player as Tom Finney? Shanks replied "Aye I think he is just about.... but you haf tae remember Toms over 50 noo!"

*Difficult to se what PNE will do now... they've already built the statue and named a stand after him! The only thing left is to change the name of the City!

Yeah the Rovers goalie he's slipping the ball past is Harry Leyland not Adam Blacklaw. Mick McGrath and. Matt Woods in the near background. Bryan Douglas looking on in the distance.

Finney was in the great tradition of Lancashire brilliant ball-playing street footballers, brought up in the back streets on cobbled surfaces where boys (and girls) played all day long learning how to play football. Owing to social changes and others reasons we just produce those street footballers now and when one occasionally does come along (Gascoigne, Rooney) they stand out a mile. I never met Finney but from what I have heard he was like our own Ronnie Clayton, a "gentleman" footballer who always played the game the right way and would never indulge in any kind of bad sportsmanship.

RIP. They don't make them like that any more.

The term "Legend" is much overused, certainly in common parlance, but if anyone deserves the title then Finney must be one of them. I like to think that I might have seen him play at the end of his career, but it could be wishful thinking. I was eight going on nine in 1960 when he retired and my Dad had only just started to take me to watch the Rovers. But Finney may have been on the team sheet for the "All Stars" at Bill Eckersley's testimonial, so if he was then I did see him.

I grew up in Leyland, and if you were a Rovers fan then PNE was the great rival rather than Burnley. All you would ever hear was Finney, this and Finney that, every footballer was compared to him "not as good as Finney" they would say, and maybe they were right. From a Rovers perspective he was probably a combination of Douglas and Shearer rolled into one, but someone who really did see him play would need to confirm that, although it was a different game in those days with five forwards and only one centre half.

That he was a one club man (like Douglas & Clayton), who played for his home town team can't be denied, although it wasn't unusual at that time. But he also had a reputation as a gentleman who never refused an autograph, a man who wasn't particularly touched by his own fame.

Preston, the North West and football in general have lost a famous son, a true "Legend," one of the all time greats, I just wish I could say that I'd seen him play (and that I can remember it.)

I was also a Rovers fan growing up as a lad in Preston and had the Rovers/PNE rivalry rammed down my throat much more than the Rovers/Burnley rivarly growing up.

I then went on to work in the commercial department at PNE in the 1990's and amongst other things was responsible for the marketing and promotion of many of the clubs commercial activities. Whenever we had a new development to offer or a special event to promote, we always asked Sir Tom to get involved as he was universally admired by so many and guaranteed a good turn-out and reception for any new inititaive. Including press coverage. Sir Tom understood this and was happy to help.

I asked him to present the half-time draw on the last home game when PNE got promoted from the old fourth division to the third under Gary Peters. (Moyes was assistant at that time). It was a mark of the man that he thanked me for the honour! It was also a mark of the man that many of those that had ventured down to the toilets or refreshment areas came back onto the ground to clap and cheer and chant his name when he came on to do the draw. It was quite moving really, on a day when all were celebratory, that the respect held for him superceded peoples half-time requirements and events of the day. They wanted to celebrate with him. Mr. PNE.

A truly great footballer and nice man. Nothing lasts forever. Rest in peace Sir Tom Finney.

I got told in the pub last night. My body actually went cold & all the hairs on my arms & neck stood up. I don't mind admitting that I even got a tear in my eye.

Such is the impact that this man has made on football & the North West. I never met him but my Grandad had on a few occasions through work, Finney being a plumber & my Grandad a painter & decorator, he always said you'll never meet a nicer bloke.

RIP Sir Tom.

The term "Legend" is much overused, certainly in common parlance, but if anyone deserves the title then Finney must be one of them. I like to think that I might have seen him play at the end of his career, but it could be wishful thinking. I was eight going on nine in 1960 when he retired and my Dad had only just started to take me to watch the Rovers. But Finney may have been on the team sheet for the "All Stars" at Bill Eckersley's testimonial, so if he was then I did see him.

I grew up in Leyland, and if you were a Rovers fan then PNE was the great rival rather than Burnley. All you would ever hear was Finney, this and Finney that, every footballer was compared to him "not as good as Finney" they would say, and maybe they were right. From a Rovers perspective he was probably a combination of Douglas and Shearer rolled into one, but someone who really did see him play would need to confirm that, although it was a different game in those days with five forwards and only one centre half.

That he was a one club man (like Douglas & Clayton), who played for his home town team can't be denied, although it wasn't unusual at that time. But he also had a reputation as a gentleman who never refused an autograph, a man who wasn't particularly touched by his own fame.

Preston, the North West and football in general have lost a famous son, a true "Legend," one of the all time greats, I just wish I could say that I'd seen him play (and that I can remember it.)

This "one club man" accolade is a little misleading. While factually correct, I'm fairly certain that when Finney was wanted by Turin(?) he wanted to go there. North End turned him down whilst offering him a few quid a week rise. He accepted that and got on with playing for PNE simply because he had no other option. Many of the players of that era were regarded as being better club men than today's players are, but the truth must be that they would all have left their home town teams if they had been given the opportunity to earn vast wealth elsewhere, just as today's players do.

I remember as a star struck 11 year old going to Bill Eckersley's testimonial match seeing the likes of Matthews and Finney. Both giants of the game. Tom Finney was, in the wider world, often under Matthew's shadow, but to football fans in the North West, he was number one. I remember my dad telling me that when he was playing on the wing, you could actually see the line on the pitch where he'd been hugging the touch line all game.

Not many of the old greats left now. Pity. The game's changed a lot and we won't see the likes of Tom Finney again. To think Tom Finney probably earned less in his entire footballing career than Rooney et al in a couple of weeks.

Nice to see younger fans on here who never had the chance to see him play, paying tribute.

I remember as a star struck 11 year old going to Bill Eckersley's testimonial match seeing the likes of Matthews and Finney. Both giants of the game. Tom Finney was, in the wider world, often under Matthew's shadow, but to football fans in the North West, he was number one. I remember my dad telling me that when he was playing on the wing, you could actually see the line on the pitch where he'd been hugging the touch line all game.

Not many of the old greats left now. Pity. The game's changed a lot and we won't see the likes of Tom Finney again. To think Tom Finney probably earned less in his entire footballing career than Rooney et al in a couple of weeks.

Nice to see younger fans on here who never had the chance to see him play, paying tribute.

He probably earned less in a life time of football than the likes of Best, Murphy , Etuhu etc have in one week. That puts it into perspective.

This "one club man" accolade is a little misleading. While factually correct, I'm fairly certain that when Finney was wanted by Turin(?) he wanted to go there. North End turned him down whilst offering him a few quid a week rise. He accepted that and got on with playing for PNE simply because he had no other option. Many of the players of that era were regarded as being better club men than today's players are, but the truth must be that they would all have left their home town teams if they had been given the opportunity to earn vast wealth elsewhere, just as today's players do.

I thought is was Genoa... No matter though. Apparently he was on the max £25 per week and had been offered £10000 for the season in Italy. He went to North End's chairman and asked if he could go and was simply told "No sorry Tom we cant let you go we need you here" and that was that. Clubs held players registration then of course so they had no option.

Brings me to the old dinner table story flogged to death by Tommy Docherty about when he went to Prestons Chairman to ask for more money (no agents then mind).

Doc...... Mr Chairman, I'm on £25 pounds a week during the season and only £15 a week through the summer and I've found out that Tom Finney is on £25 every week winter and summer. I'd like to be on the same.

Chairman..... Sorry Docherty. I can't do that cos you are nowhere near as good a player as Tom Finney.

Doc..... I am in the summer!

He always reckoned he got the rise but I have my doubts.

• Backroom

He probably earned less in a life time of football than the likes of Best, Murphy , Etuhu etc have in one week. That puts it into perspective.

To show just how absurd wages can be, look at LeTissier in his pomp (only 10/15yrs ago).

To earn what Rooney does in one week, it would've taken him 5 months.

With Ronnie ,Tom and Nat Lofthouse going there's not many left now of that era. Dougie at Rovers, Jimmy Armfield at Blackpool, Jimmy Mac at Burnley, Bobby Charlton at United. True legends of North West Football.

Nobby Stiles is still with us, he is without doubt a legend of North West Football.

I was in the car at lunchtime when there was a 'Finney tribute' on 5 Live. Right country Den, wrong club (and same for you Drog) - it was Palermo. Apparently he was offered £10k as a signing on fee then £120 per week but the Preston chairman said "no, you're staying here" and that was that, even though Finney wanted off. You can hear the tribute (which includes Jimmy Armfield) and the chat with Tom Finney (which was done a few years ago) on the 15 Feb podcast here.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/5lfd . The Tom Finney bit is from about 26:30 onwards.

! :o

Now whilst Nobby has a World Cup winners medal of course there is no way he can be mentioned in the same sentence as Sir Tom and those others.

You say that he can't be mentioned in the same breath as Finney and the others so I will assume that you include Bobby Charlton in that. And in his autobiography Charlton said of Stiles “Well, if you think I was a great player, you have to include Nobby in that category, because on the field I could never repay the debt I owed him, atleast in any way apart from love and my respect.” Sir Alf said that he was one of five world class players in the world cup winning squad.

Archived