BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Central Midfield

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-5-1 is the way to go but since it's a cast-iron guarantee that Dunn can only manage 1/3 of the season, that means finding the right understudy. That's where Cairney comes in. I don't think Bowyer will ever do the unthinkable and drop Lowe from the line-up. That leaves us with a midfield duo of Evans & Lowe which should provide a strong base in the centre. Since Cairney's wasted out-wide and out of the CM equation, it stands to reason his next best position is behind the front man (be it Rhodes or Rudy). While he has played there before for Rovers, with mixed results, his quality on the ball in the final third offers the most going forward.

4-5-1 is the way to go but since it's a cast-iron guarantee that Dunn can only manage 1/3 of the season, that means finding the right understudy. That's where Cairney comes in. I don't think Bowyer will ever do the unthinkable and drop Lowe from the line-up. That leaves us with a midfield duo of Evans & Lowe which should provide a strong base in the centre. Since Cairney's wasted out-wide and out of the CM equation, it stands to reason his next best position is behind the front man (be it Rhodes or Rudy). While he has played there before for Rovers, with mixed results, his quality on the ball in the final third offers the most going forward.

I wonder if Bowyer had Marshall in mind for that job at some point? I did hear when we signed him that he is more than capable in the no.10 role. We've been hard done by with injuries this season, and I believe never quite had a full squad to select from. I do agree with you though - No.10 is a priority if we have completely given up on Rochina

Like I said ages ago doesn't matter who starts we play the same tactic of sitting off, we don't tackle or win second balls. It's to easy for any other midfield to dictate games, Christ a few times first half Rudy was dropping back making tackles near our box in open play.because no one else was, it's a keaning joke !

Like I said ages ago doesn't matter who starts we play the same tactic of sitting off, we don't tackle or win second balls. It's to easy for any other midfield to dictate games, Christ a few times first half Rudy was dropping back making tackles near our box in open play.because no one else was, it's a keaning joke !

Is it tactical, ability or fitness though?

It's got to be tactics for me Baz. We know we've been crying out for a robust holding midfielder for ages under previous gaffers but GB will never sign one as he'll have to play in lowes position. Tactics may work with the right people but as it is we need to press a bit higher from the off.

Just watch Lowe in there, the amount of times he nearly does something is astounding.

He's the common denominator in there and the first name on Gaz's team sheet. Unbelievable.

Rubbish, Not saying a lot tonight but Lowe was my 2nd choice for MoM behind Conway. If you want to look for poor performances tonight start with Jordan Rhodes first and foremost and then go through Evans, Kane, Feeny, Varney, Spurr, Keane and even Handley before Lowe.

btw I've a very strong suspicion that had Lowe's late power drive gone in v Burnley and we had earned a draw and preserved the record that you and the rest of the clueless and irrational ovines who are Lowe haters would have resented it! You would have had to face a massive climb down and loss of face. I'm not wrong either am I... be honest now.

Blimey, I thought you'd played the game Gordon.

Apart from making one challenge that nearly led to a goal against, watching his opposite number drift past him as if he wasn't there and put the ball out for a few throw ins what did he actually do.

Honestly, I'd love to know because as sure as eggs are eggs if Williamson had been partnering him tonight you'd have lambasted the bugger in usual style.

Let's hear the case for from a fellow 'water carrier'.

would have loved to have seen Lowe put it in against Burnley...just as I would have loved to see him put in a tackle in that game or at any other time this season...best part of Gary going would be Lowe not having an automatic place without actually earning it...remind me of what clubs have come in for him while he's been our "lynchpin"

It tells you a lot about Bowyer picking his favourites with him coming from a coaching background. The game is littered with former assistants or coaches failing to make it as a manager because they're too nice and pick personalities rather than who is best for the team.

Harford, Kidd... Excellent coaches, supposed to be very nice guys but awful football managers.

It's got to be tactics for me Baz. We know we've been crying out for a robust holding midfielder for ages under previous gaffers but GB will never sign one as he'll have to play in lowes position. Tactics may work with the right people but as it is we need to press a bit higher from the off.

Step forward Mr Dickson Etuhu...

I think its all 3.

We play defensively partially because of GBs tactics, as a team we looked shattered around the 60 minute mark against Burnley (thats our old fitness coach working for them Im told), and i don't think any of our central midfielders has the ability to tackle hard and fair, like a Reid or Flitcroft.

Oh for a Flitcroft in the middle it would certainly make this side look a lot more robust. There must be a lesser version somewhere surely :) an yeah fitness is a concern. To get them closing down and putting tackles in like Bumley etc would take hard graft and him flogging them in training. Can't see Gaz doing that sadly.

Oh for a Flitcroft in the middle it would certainly make this side look a lot more robust. There must be a lesser version somewhere surely :)

Do you not feel that the days of the robust tackling midfielder are gone?

It's to the detriment of the game as a spectacle IMO but a Flitcroft, Batty, Savage would be on a yellow card after 10 minutes these days. What used to be deemed a robust tackle is arguably a sending off in this day and age.

Not in the lesser games in this division I don't think, I reckon you could get away with some stuff. To be honest im thinking more about being a driving force and influence, leadership. I think if you plonked Flitcroft in a team like last night then he could make a difference to even that. I know im dreaming by the way but still...

I think you're right, there's no spine or shape to our squad and the club lacks leaders in every department never mind on the field.

As regards the first team squad, I don't believe we've had a true leader of men since Ryan Nelson left. Anyone with a voice or a pair were unceremoniously dumped and have never been replaced.

Archived