BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Huddersfield Town vs. Rovers

The obvious thing to do is un - follow Cryer, assuming you only followed him for rovers news anyway so he's irrelevant now. He was always a bit of a ponce anyway, no one has ever come close to the brilliant Peter White.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading that Hudds board as well. Very similar debates on Rhodes and manager etc. A bit of a reality check reading that as they are a established Champ club with an owner who has a few quid but seems reluctant to take the next step and try and push them on, an average manager at this level and an in an out team. Not the same hystionics to the defeat as there is on here, they accept what they are. Something we really have to come to terms with however we arrived at this point sadly.

On a lighter note nice to see how some of them rated us as a team with some quality players miss firing and branded us moaners after reading this board. Now according to them we are a crap team with a top notch striker who's far too good for us after yesterday lol Football eh :)

it's a very good question and a real head scratcher. I hardly ever see him tackle or break up play which, for a holding midfielder is astonishing. He is a very poor man's corry evans and would never be in my starting line up.

I have worked with a lot of jason lowe type characters. First one in the office every morning; apple for teacher- and maybe a little more! Big 'career laughs' at every unfunny witticism uttered by the boss; last to leave at night; attending every social networking opportunity and, as a consequence, becoming ridiculously over promoted.

Weak, inexperienced managers always surround themselves with workmanlike yes men.

Yes, i've worked with a good many jason lowes'!

I had already mentioned the managers pet comments. The 5th managers pet. Doesn't stack up and it's a silly argument.

I had already mentioned the managers pet comments. The 5th managers pet. Doesn't stack up and it's a silly argument.

So where are those first four managers now and just what kind of top results did they achieve then.

they accept what they are. Something we really have to come to terms with however we arrived at this point sadly.

A good point. But, I wonder, did they advertise season tickets (and even half season tickets) with the slogan "Join The Push For Promotion"?

Makes you wonder if that is more for the owners benefit than the fans. If it is, heaven help us when they finally accept what we are.

• Moderation Lead

Actually if you've seen the amount of abuse that Cryer was getting and still gets from Roves fans, I'm surprised he didn't just tell us all to fk off a long time ago

He could have helped himself by not being a provocative troll though to be fair.

just posting my own take on the Huddersfield game,when i saw the starting line up i thought at last and was so for the first 20mins , lowe's injury left us a vulnerable down that side and all there good play came down there left, for once the mid field were good Williamson was a different player with Evans beside him Dunn put in a good shift as did Conway, Gestede was very influential great header to set up Rhodes first goal who certainly got better service today and did the business

• Backroom

Forget Burnley, just imagine if Bowyer had picked more points off the likes of Charlton, Wednesday, Birmingham and Bournemouth at home.

When you look at it we've had some decent unexpected results but less than 8 points from those games is poor, in reality we got 2, that's pretty telling.

When teams have a plan to stay solid and nick one at the other end the manager simply has no answer and indicates why we are often better away.

Jordan Rhodes thrives when pockets of space open up, this happens when teams go at us, when they sit deep we struggle to get him into dangerous positions.

On the train to Glasgow now for the Cup Final tomorrow, after a very successful two days in Yorkshire with the Rhinos winning last night and then the much improved performance and win from Rovers today. The difference between today and Wednesday was incredible, we were very urgent from the start, pressing high up the pitch and hassling them when they had the ball. It was also very nice to see us go for the two goal lead on two occasions instead of sitting back on the one goal lead which has been our undoing on numerous occasions this season. We had to weather a bit of storm just after they made it 1-1 (until then we were well on top) and at the start of the second half but we weathered it well and took the lead and were in control from then.

Robinson 7: Made a couple decent save and could not do anything about the two goals.

Lowe: 6: Not really involved in the game much for the 20 minutes or so that he played, but I was pleased to see him out of the midfield and in what I think is his best position.

Keane 7: Solid again, playing with another new defensive partner which cannot be easy for him.

Kilgallon 6: He didn't look fully fit (but due to Hanley being out was probably rushed back) and wasn't at his best, but I'm sure he'll be fine when he gets back to full fitness.

Spurr 7: As solid and reliable as ever.

Conway 9: Another very good performance from him, capped of with a goal (with a helping hand from the keeper) and a good assist for the second goal. I'm really looking forward to see him and Marshall on the wings next season.

Williamson 8: A fine display from him today, great pressing to force the error for for the fourth goal. Also I don't think that it is a coincidence that his best two performances this season have been Leeds away and today, where he hasn't had Lowe getting in his way doing what he wants to do and most effectively. Hopefully Lowe will be either at right back or benched from now.

Evans 7: A good performance as always, picking up second balls and then laying them off, which is what we missed hugely when he was injured.

Dunn 7: Linked up play well on a few occasions, but not at his best perhaps 3 games in 6 days took their toll.

Gestede 7: A real handful as always, hope his injury isn't as bad a it appeared to be. The most pleasing aspect of the game for me was Jordan scoring from his flick on.

Rhodes 10: Faultless performance he worked very hard on and off the ball, he was strong when playing the lone striker role and he was clinical in front of goal.

Subs:

Kane 7: Solid defensively and he linked up very well with Conway going forward.

Varney 6: He's a trier and works very hard but he just seems to lack an end product.

Taylor: Didn't have sufficient time to make a real impact.

Really useful feedback, Somerset. Invaluable to those of us who didn't get across the pennines.

Much appreciated.

I though Steve Claridge on Football League Show made sense. The question is how can we be doing so poorly with so prolific a striker. They must have been saying we are a poor side at Championship level. Are we basically a League One side with a top striker?

I though Steve Claridge on Football League Show made sense. The question is how can we be doing so poorly with so prolific a striker. They must have been saying we are a poor side at Championship level. Are we basically a League One side with a top striker?

I think qe

Did he also ask why Leeds were doing so badly ?

I think we have two problems.

1. No one else is chipping in with goals. You cant rely on one person.

2. Have we been able to field the same team twice at ANY point this season?.

The amount of injuries we have had has been unreal. How many were out on saturday? Then we had two more during the game. No consistency at all.

Yeah, he basically said what most of us should know anyway - in that there's often very little difference between a lot of teams in this league and it's usually the team that has, say "one stand out goalscorer" that makes the difference and gets them promoted.

So I dunno what's going on with us, as we have the 'magical promotion ingredient' yet we're still keaning promotion wannabes. I have to say that a lot of it must be due to the fact that our tactics are in the most part awful and obvious. Opposition teams can basically predict what we are going to do and barring injuries, even predict our substitutions and have a game plan to act accordingly.

(e.g. - against Burnley it almost seemed like their manager was just waiting for Dunn to go off before he rolled out his "plan win")

Rhodes 20

Gestede 4

Cairney/Dunn 3

Make of that what you will.

Playing a bit of devil's advocate here, but those numbers could also be interpreted as Rhodes' style of play not giving enough opportunities for midfielders to score. If he had been a somewhat less prolific goalscorer but more of a intelligent team-player he might have scored 15 at this point while Gestede might have had 8 and Cairney/Dunn 7... No player works in a vacuum, and Claridge should know that.

• Backroom

Playing a bit of devil's advocate here, but those numbers could also be interpreted as Rhodes' style of play not giving enough opportunities for midfielders to score. If he had been a somewhat less prolific goalscorer but more of a intelligent team-player he might have scored 15 at this point while Gestede might have had 8 and Cairney/Dunn 7... No player works in a vacuum, and Claridge should know that.

Alternatively it could mean Rhodes had only scored 10, and Gestede/Dunn/Cairney scored no more (or less!). It's difficult to say with any certainty. Our problem is more that we don't utilise Rhodes as we should, imo. He scores in spite of our style rather than because of it. At this point I'm not sure whether he should have a partner such as Gestede alongside him or continue to play as a lone man with a lot more support from midfield and the flanks, but either way when you've got a 20+ goals per season striker on your hands it seems prudent to try and make the most of his talent.

Archived