BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Huddersfield Town vs. Rovers

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Lowe has missed two away games in central midfield at Leeds and today, both of which we won. Hmmm..............

my thoughts exactly!

Really good win and a fantastic feeling for a change.

Couple of points though...

I have thought of rhodes as appearing quite lazy a few times recently. The fact that he notches three against his former club seems to imply that, as the song suggests, he really does score when he wishes to and doesn't bother when he can't be bothered.

Secondly, did the lads relax a little today due to feeling less pressure as our play off hopes seemed dashed? They are young lads in the main and it seems reasonable.

What are the chances of lowe being restored to midfield for the next game followed by a nervy showing and heavy defeat against the top side?

I thought the same thing. We've gone for it twice, both with Lowe removed from middle.

Good result though so credit where its due. Lets see if GB sticks with an attacking/pressing mindset or reverts to type.

Not only that but the much maligned Williamson played CM in both as well.

Makes you think doesn't it?

Excellent result - badly needed for everyone involved. Havn't seen anything of the match yet but according to the bbc we had 12 attempts with 9 on target giving 4 goals. Makes a heck of a difference when you take your create more chances :D

Hope you don't mind.

So when the rest of the players are subject to a lot of criticism as has been the case recently and at various parts of the season, Rhodes should be completely immune to it should he? Come on Simon, we all appreciate Rhodes' ability in the box, but your incredible defence of him when it's been blatantly clear how poor he has been for large parts of this season is baffling.

For Christ's sake the man just scored a hat trick and we won 4-2. Can you not just enjoy it and celebrate with the rest of us?

Hope you don't mind.

Thing is if you look at the stats since december we typically have 9 - 15 attempts on goal (somtimes even more) but only score once. Against both Burnley and Bournemouth we had 14 attempts on goal (yes i know stats can be misleading) for example but scored a total of 1 goal from those 28 attempts...

So Lowe has missed two away games in central midfield at Leeds and today, both of which we won. Hmmm..............

I find it amazing that we win a match (largely gifted to us by terrible Huddersfield defending) - and all some people can go on about is the fact that Lowe wasn't in midfield. One of our best home performances was when we beat Bolton 4-1 - with Lowe one of the leading lights of a great midfield performance - but people forget that - or the goal he scored to beat Boro. I could go on - this season Lowe has had more good than bad games - and yet people seem to take every single opportunity to take pot shots at him.

Thing is if you look at the stats since december we typically have 9 - 15 attempts on goal (somtimes even more) but only score once. Against both Burnley and Bournemouth we had 14 attempts on goal (yes i know stats can be misleading) for example but scored a total of 1 goal from those 28 attempts...

Yes, and hitting the corner flag counts as a shot on goal etc.

From listening to today's game it didn't sound like we missed any chances at all. Yet sounded like Huddersfield missed about 3 proper goal scoring ones.

Yes, and hitting the corner flag counts as a shot on goal etc.

From listening to today's game it didn't sound like we missed any chances at all. Yet sounded like Huddersfield missed about 3 proper goal scoring ones.

Sort of my point. If we were as clinical in front of goal all season as we (reportedly) were today then results would have been a whole lot better.

I find it amazing that we win a match (largely gifted to us by terrible Huddersfield defending) - and all some people can go on about is the fact that Lowe wasn't in midfield. One of our best home performances was when we beat Bolton 4-1 - with Lowe one of the leading lights of a great midfield performance - but people forget that - or the goal he scored to beat Boro. I could go on - this season Lowe has had more good than bad games - and yet people seem to take every single opportunity to take pot shots at him.

What rev is saying is fact, what you are largely saying is your opinion.

Big difference.

My opinion is that Lowe is more a part of the problem than the solution. The results in the 2 games he didn't play CM seem to back that up.

DMTP ok lets look at it the other way.

We do not have a bad defensive record this season with a significant number of clean sheets. The right back positoin is suspect to my mind but the restoration of Robinson has to my mind improved that part of the team.

Up front we have one of the best goal scorers in the league . The arrival of Gestede has taken some pressure off Rhodes as we all know he cannot play the lone striker role.

We have some reasonable out wide midfield players. Marshall for one was playing well before his injury as Cairney as was King altough a bit more intermiitent in his form granted. Conway too seems a fair signing.

That leaves the middle two defensive midfield players. We were doing well until Corry Evans got injured so then we had to rely on Williamson and Lowe. They were sluggish particularly Williamson. Their ball retention and possession is not good as the stats show in most matches. Their forward ball play is virtually non existent and they cannot beat a man one to one. They have a tendency to back off and concede the initiative. This season we are mid table because we have been too weak in this area of the pitch and the most critical one for controlling a game.

To my mind Lowe should be at right back and the central three should be Evans, Cairney, Dunn and Taylor on as a sub.

Decent performance overall although at times really shaky at the back. Lowe played reasonably well until his injury. One real frustration was that Lowe was hobbling for some time before he went off. In my opinion, given the way he was moving he should have gone off straight away. Aside from the result the really pleasing thing for me was the way we tackled. For weeks we have been second best in this area but today, particularly in the second half there was some ferocious challenges put in. Evans looked like he was getting back to his best which was an important factor in the game. Still lots to work on but it makes a welcome change to feel good again after a win.

Anyone follow Andy cryer on twitter and think he's got a dislike for the club and it's fans these days?

I don't follow him but it's hardly surprising, he no doubt reads the tripe written on here by some posters and forms his opinions from that.

As for those hanging crap on Rhodes for his lean scoring run lately, anyone would think the way they're carrying on that no striker in the history of the game has ever had a quiet run.

The best of them always do every now and then (think Suarez of late) and it's pretty pathetic that those armchair critics slinging that crap try to justify their dislike of the bloke by attacking him for going through what EVERY single striker does. All in the attempt to make their ridiculous thoughts somehow seem valid. It doesn't work, just makes you look even more stupid.

On the train to Glasgow now for the Cup Final tomorrow, after a very successful two days in Yorkshire with the Rhinos winning last night and then the much improved performance and win from Rovers today. The difference between today and Wednesday was incredible, we were very urgent from the start, pressing high up the pitch and hassling them when they had the ball. It was also very nice to see us go for the two goal lead on two occasions instead of sitting back on the one goal lead which has been our undoing on numerous occasions this season. We had to weather a bit of storm just after they made it 1-1 (until then we were well on top) and at the start of the second half but we weathered it well and took the lead and were in control from then.

Robinson 7: Made a couple decent save and could not do anything about the two goals.

Lowe: 6: Not really involved in the game much for the 20 minutes or so that he played, but I was pleased to see him out of the midfield and in what I think is his best position.

Keane 7: Solid again, playing with another new defensive partner which cannot be easy for him.

Kilgallon 6: He didn't look fully fit (but due to Hanley being out was probably rushed back) and wasn't at his best, but I'm sure he'll be fine when he gets back to full fitness.

Spurr 7: As solid and reliable as ever.

Conway 9: Another very good performance from him, capped of with a goal (with a helping hand from the keeper) and a good assist for the second goal. I'm really looking forward to see him and Marshall on the wings next season.

Williamson 8: A fine display from him today, great pressing to force the error for for the fourth goal. Also I don't think that it is a coincidence that his best two performances this season have been Leeds away and today, where he hasn't had Lowe getting in his way doing what he wants to do and most effectively. Hopefully Lowe will be either at right back or benched from now.

Evans 7: A good performance as always, picking up second balls and then laying them off, which is what we missed hugely when he was injured.

Dunn 7: Linked up play well on a few occasions, but not at his best perhaps 3 games in 6 days took their toll.

Gestede 7: A real handful as always, hope his injury isn't as bad a it appeared to be. The most pleasing aspect of the game for me was Jordan scoring from his flick on.

Rhodes 10: Faultless performance he worked very hard on and off the ball, he was strong when playing the lone striker role and he was clinical in front of goal.

Subs:

Kane 7: Solid defensively and he linked up very well with Conway going forward.

Varney 6: He's a trier and works very hard but he just seems to lack an end product.

Taylor: Didn't have sufficient time to make a real impact.

What rev is saying is fact, what you are largely saying is your opinion.

Big difference.

My opinion is that Lowe is more a part of the problem than the solution. The results in the 2 games he didn't play CM seem to back that up.

Ok - fact - we have won matches with Lowe in and out of the team ! Fact - two matches don't make a season !

Ok - fact - we have won matches with Lowe in and out of the team ! Fact - two matches don't make a season !

This season:

Percentage win rate without Lowe in CM = 100%

Percentage win rate with Lowe in CM = 30%

Surely that's be a reason to try something different.

Lowe For RB!!

Archived