BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

He came back and trained with us at some point last season, so we were definitely still in touch. 

I'm not sure what the best course of action is for him. He's clearly a great dribbler but he looks too slow to play on the wing, which then reduces his options to only playing as a number 10, which in modern day football is the ultimate luxury position. Even some of the world's best 10's have struggled over the past decade (Coutinho, Rodriguez etc) because of this.

Szmodics is quite a rarity for a number 10, in that he's an asset off the ball as well as on it. The only way I can see a future for Markanday is by him treating the physical side of the game as his number 1 focus. He needs to become an athlete.

From what I have seen of Markanday with our U21's, he is not a great dribbler. What he has got is a good shot. In my opinion he needs to be played centrally, which would not suit the way the Rovers play at the moment.Szmodic is far better in that position. Things may change in the future, you never know.

3 hours ago, rigger said:

From what I have seen of Markanday with our U21's, he is not a great dribbler. What he has got is a good shot. In my opinion he needs to be played centrally, which would not suit the way the Rovers play at the moment.Szmodic is far better in that position. Things may change in the future, you never know.

I've not seen nearly as much of him as yourself. I was always under the impression dribbling was one of his strengths. You are one of the u21s gurus on here though so I'll be taking your word for it.

I'm not hopeful he'll turn things around. Even if he was technically excellent then he needs the physicality and engine. Fingers crossed that he does improve as I seem to remember us spending around 500k on him. 

I've just itemised all the player contracts at the club. Looks like it's make or break for the following three players that just had their options taken up rather than being offered a new contract:

• Lenni Cirino
  • Jared Harlock (I watched him in one match and thought he was excellent)
  • Alex Baker

Zak Gilsenan and Isaac Whitehall have had new contracts offered, so they should sign soon, as have a number of them in recent days and weeks.

Edited by goozburger

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

I've just itemised all the player contracts at the club. Looks like it's make or break for the following three players that just had their options taken up rather than being offered a new contract:

• Lenni Cirino
  • Jared Harlock (I watched him in one match and thought he was excellent)
  • Alex Baker

Zak Gilsenan and Isaac Whitehall have had new contracts offered, so they should sign soon, as have a number of them in recent days and weeks.

Since we're offering Whitehall a new deal, with all the injury issues he's had, you'd think we'd be offering Harlock one too. Seems to have played well.

7 hours ago, goozburger said:

Pat Gamble signs a two year contract extension, with the option of a further year. Could be a risk. 🙄😁 Article here.

Pleased that we're tying these lads down for the future!

Interesting they've given him 2 years with an option of another year. Most pro contracts given out in the last week or so have been 1 year with another year option.

Suggests they think Gamble could have first team potential. 

11 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Interesting they've given him 2 years with an option of another year. Most pro contracts given out in the last week or so have been 1 year with another year option.

Suggests they think Gamble could have first team potential. 

Gamble was already on a pro deal, he signed his first pro deal (a 1 year deal with an option) last summer https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2022/june/21/pat-pens-pro-deal/

Hopefully his footballing abilities are developing as quickly as his facial hair  https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/may/27/pat-pens-new-deal-/

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, goozburger said:

Pat Gamble signs a two year contract extension, with the option of a further year. Could be a risk. 🙄😁 Article here.

Pleased that we're tying these lads down for the future!

What were the odds of that happening?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KentExile said:

Gamble was already on a pro deal, he signed his first pro deal (a 1 year deal with an option) last summer https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2022/june/21/pat-pens-pro-deal/

Hopefully his footballing abilities are developing as quickly as his facial hair  https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/may/27/pat-pens-new-deal-/

Thanks for that. Obviously he is highly rated then if they've given him an new 3 year deal effectively rather than just taking up his 1 year option. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23576445.blackburn-rovers-frustrated-lack-efl-opportunities-players/

I share his frustration at the lack of EFL opportunities we've been able to manage for our youngsters. We clearly have one of the best academies in the country, playing at the top youth level, churning out a string of Championship level players, and yet pro clubs don't seem as interested because the main team isn't in the Prem.

I hope we can work on this somehow. You can't force clubs to take your youth players and use them, but the use of the phrase in there of something like the phone doesn't ring enough...maybe we can work on improving our networking with other clubs and starting these discussions ourselves instead of hanging back and waiting for it to happen. I'm not saying this is entirely our fault either, I do agree with him there's probably an unfair perception of our youth players not being as glamorous due to not being attached to a Prem club. I'm sure we've had more youngsters who could have made an impact at League One and Two levels if they'd had the chances, than have had the chances. That said, some of our youngsters loaned out have disappointed a bit (albeit sometimes from lack of game time), but that's the nature of loaning youth players.

On 10/06/2023 at 13:24, bluebruce said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23576445.blackburn-rovers-frustrated-lack-efl-opportunities-players/

I share his frustration at the lack of EFL opportunities we've been able to manage for our youngsters. We clearly have one of the best academies in the country, playing at the top youth level, churning out a string of Championship level players, and yet pro clubs don't seem as interested because the main team isn't in the Prem.

I hope we can work on this somehow. You can't force clubs to take your youth players and use them, but the use of the phrase in there of something like the phone doesn't ring enough...maybe we can work on improving our networking with other clubs and starting these discussions ourselves instead of hanging back and waiting for it to happen. I'm not saying this is entirely our fault either, I do agree with him there's probably an unfair perception of our youth players not being as glamorous due to not being attached to a Prem club. I'm sure we've had more youngsters who could have made an impact at League One and Two levels if they'd had the chances, than have had the chances. That said, some of our youngsters loaned out have disappointed a bit (albeit sometimes from lack of game time), but that's the nature of loaning youth players.

What you're suggesting would take some effort. We don't do that here.

• 2 weeks later...

https://trainingground.guru/articles/premier-league-2-to-switch-to-swiss-style-format-from-next-season

This seems to be being reported in a number of places, so guessing it's true, but I can't see any mention of it from Rovers' perspective.

It seems like we would've been the only PL2 div 1 side not to have had a say in this, wonder if there is an ulterior motive to it besides those stated? 

Less games overall, with more games being against middling teams, doesn't sound to me to be as beneficial for our younger players & marks a massive shift in the goalposts I'd say...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

https://trainingground.guru/articles/premier-league-2-to-switch-to-swiss-style-format-from-next-season

This seems to be being reported in a number of places, so guessing it's true, but I can't see any mention of it from Rovers' perspective.

It seems like we would've been the only PL2 div 1 side not to have had a say in this, wonder if there is an ulterior motive to it besides those stated? 

Less games overall, with more games being against middling teams, doesn't sound to me to be as beneficial for our younger players & marks a massive shift in the goalposts I'd say...

People have said for a while that the  U21'/23's was a youth league with nothing to play for. They have now got their wish.

On 19/06/2023 at 16:11, KentExile said:

Gilsenan has signed a new contract until 2025 with the option on a further 1 year

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2023/june/19/zak-extends-ewood-stay/

Essentially a 3 year deal for a lad who has just got over an ACL. Same deal they gave Gamble, and they rate Gamble highly apparently. Obviously they feel the same about ZG.

Only seen bits of ZG but he looks a very talented lad.