BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] PREFERENCE

With Gary Bowyer saying its all about selling for a profit these days and plenty on here happy with stability and saying we are going forward it got me thinking...(we need a poll ;) ,none running ) .

As a Rovers FAN what do you want from us most....

A. To sell players for a profit (as seems to be the remit from the lunes at the expense of promotion etc. )

B. To win matches and gain promotion.

I know I want to win more than sell our players for profit. I know what needs doing before any stabilist prattles on at me .

Bowyer has never said that they are not trying to win matches or gain promotion. He has said that he is bringing players in whose value will increase but that he is building a squad that will challenge in this division. FFP means we have to balance income with expenditure - as we have always had to do. Can we afford to pay any player £40,000 a week on gates of 12,000 to 15,000? At the end of the day if WE HAVE to sell players then you want to sell them at a profit, just like Jack did when title winning side broke up.

its not even a question from a football point of view, however the owners are not football people - they are business people and from that point of view they are going to want to recoup some of the money which has kept the club afloat since the decisions they and their advisors made resulted in us being relegated from the Premier League.

The balance for the vast majority of football clubs is making the 'business' profitable on the one hand, but obtaining/retaining the services of players with the quality to advance the club - whether that be AFC Darwen or Rovers.

Football brain - B

Business brain - A

however in reality for all that owners have done wrong, the answer probably sits somewhere inbetween.

Even during the mid 90s in our Pomp we still had to sell Shearer. I'm always gutted when we lose a good player but it's an unpalatable fact of life that for most of our recent history we've been a selling club and we have a place in the food chain. Not at the bottom but certainly not at the top.

We have to exist I the real world or not exist at all.

With Gary Bowyer saying its all about selling for a profit these days and plenty on here happy with stability and saying we are going forward it got me thinking...(we need a poll ;) ,none running ) .

A. To sell players for a profit (as seems to be the remit from the lunes at the expense of promotion etc. )

I know I want to win more than sell our players for profit. I know what needs doing before any stabilist prattles on at me .

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive Abs as has been proved in the past and I for one would like to see both.

Even during the mid 90s in our Pomp we still had to sell Shearer. I'm always gutted when we lose a good player but it's an unpalatable fact of life that for most of our recent history we've been a selling club and we have a place in the food chain. Not at the bottom but certainly not at the top.

We didn't have to sell Shearer

We didn't have to sell Shearer mate. Many offers came in for him, Liverpool and Man United to name a couple, of which both offered more than what Newcastle paid for Shearer, and Jack refused to sell. The only reason Shearer left was because Shearer told Jack that he wanted to leave because he wanted to play for Newcastle. Jack took him away to Jersey and offered to double his wages but Shearer just wanted to play for Newcastle.

I don't see any reason why we can't do both, but above all else we need promotion at this stage of proceedings.

Being in the Chamionship with players like Gestede, who have no loyalty whatsoever, is always going to cause issues. He's hardly out of Cardiffs reserves and he wants out, so Bowyer will be forced to sell this summer which fits nicely into the Venky plan.

Bottom line is that we need promotion as we are financially screwed.

To achieve that goal, you employ the best possible personnel out there.

That is where V's have spectacularly failed.

IMV, It's a one way ticket to oblivion if they continue to think the likes of Bowyer and Kinder are the answer.

Come summer, I think our better players will want out and will be sold only to be replaced by the likes of Marrow, Brown, Dabo etc. It's a one way ticket to 'Armageddon'.

As Otto says, you can have both, our problem(the one that's holding us back from progressing in the league) is purely down to insufficient management(in the dugout and the boardroom)

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive Abs as has been proved in the past and I for one would like to see both.

But surely one is always prevalent. For example you've a choice of two players - one is older and won't have much re-sale value, but is better, whereas the other is not quite as good but is younger and will have a bigger resale value.

Which one you buy depends on which strategy is considered more important. And can have massive consequences on the success of a club. Just one example but it shows the danger of having improving players' value as the main aim of the club.

bringing through players and selling them for a profit is fine, we only have to find 2 Phil Jones' a season, every season to break even, the third is then pure profit.

Football. Money is a necessary evil.

There's not a great deal of entertainment in standing watching a business make money. No matter how much you clap and cheer.

Our problem is we've been used to champagne for twenty years on our dad's coin and now we've only got enough money for lambrini, and that's only because it's being loaned some by a distant aunt.

As David Gray once said, "What we gonna do when the money runs out?"

'A' seems like wrong anyway otherwise why did the venkys refuse to sell Rhodes to hull in the summer(or any of the other clubs that tried to sign him before that) and why have they turned away enquiries for other members of the team in the past before offers even hit the table?

the only problem I'm concerned with is the poor-mediocre management, this is what is currently holding the club back on the footballing side all these other discussions are just frustratingly distracting and pointless to me.

'A' seems like wrong anyway otherwise why did the venkys refuse to sell Rhodes to hull in the summer(or any of the other clubs that tried to sign him before that) and why have they turned away enquiries for other members of the team in the past before offers even hit the table?

the only problem I'm concerned with is the poor-mediocre management, this is what is currently holding the club back on the footballing side all these other discussions are just frustratingly distracting and pointless to me.

At one point rovers had agreed to sell Rhodes to Hull.

As for the point that Venky's haven't been selling all our players - really? They needlessly sold an entire Premier league squad within two seasons.

At one point rovers Degsy had agreed to sell Rhodes to Hull.

As for the point that Venky's haven't been selling all our players - really? They needlessly sold an entire Premier league squad within two seasons.

I think A is a business philosophy that will apply regardless of which League we are in. Agree that the quickest way to promotion is a few "old heads" but we tried and failed that route when we could afford it...

(no i will not acknowledge the big pink elephant in the corner)

At one point rovers had agreed to sell Rhodes to Hull.

not quite, the better players from that team left because they just didn't want to be here anymore(and that you can blame on the venks) but players like samba, jones, hoilet and olson where offered or given bigger contracts to stay but still chose to leave, players like nelsen, nzonzi and emerton seemed to have been pushed out because they didn't take any shizer from kean and his cronies and to be honest aside from those players i've mentioned I cant think of any others of premiership quality(though I'm sure there's 1 or 2 I've forgot)

• Backroom

Venky's could have chosen not to sell all of those players, though, Jones aside due to his release clause.

Gestede clearly wanted to leave, but we didn't sell... I imagine Rhodes would have wanted a shot in the PL, too, but again, no sale. Not entirely sure what their philosophy is, or if they even know at this point, but it seems to have changed since we were relegated.

there's no philosophy, strategy, game plan, end game...... that's the problem(or one of!!) they're just stumbling through the days hoping for the best, still seemingly not realising that every single person they take advice from is only offering it because they want something out of it for themselves.

Archived