BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Smoking Areas

I see that the club are finally trialling a half-time smoking area in the Darwen End at the Brentford game tonight.

Last week at the Fans Forum the club announced that they were hoping to get approval for two trial areas at the Brighton game this Saturday, assuming the Safety Advisory Group approved the plans at a meeting this Thursday. It looks like they have decided to have a quick trial tonight ahead of the meeting.

I don't smoke myself but I always thought it a bit selfish not to allow smokers a half time fag in an area open to the air. The toilets is not the place and it is equally selfish of the smokers to use them. I would have thought that an open air area would be a compromise. If you don't like the smoke use a different area. The ground holds 30,000 and is never much more than half full.

• Backroom

Great news, as a non smoker I hate the toilets at half time, worse when I took the little one he needed the toilet but had to wait whilst people had a fag in a cubicle

A year or two back I just so happened to drive past The City of Manchester Stadium when they were playing Utd and I noticed a lot of people on the spiral ramps. It was as the game was being played (I had it on the radio) and I thought it looked odd until I realised they were having a smoke.

Surely people can go without for 2 hours?

I would have thought so too Shaun, but clearly they can't. I think it's been equally smokers and non-smokers who have raised the problem to us on the Forum. It seems to be fairly widely available at other Championship clubs these days for half-time at least.

One thing I didn't mention at the start was that the club are planning to also trial a smoking area in the Blackburn End Lower as well, hopefully from the Brighton game.

The BRFC Action Group lobbied for this for several months and it's good news that the club have decided to trial it. It's better for the smokers and none smokers. People will be able to breathe in the toilets etc without walking into a smog that London during the Industrial Revolution would be similar too.

I would have thought so too Shaun, but clearly they can't. I think it's been equally smokers and non-smokers who have raised the problem to us on the Forum. It seems to be fairly widely available at other Championship clubs these days for half-time at least.

One thing I didn't mention at the start was that the club are planning to also trial a smoking area in the Blackburn End Lower as well, hopefully from the Brighton game.

As long as it doesn't affect anyone else they can smoke for 90 minutes if they want. But it's a bit like those who leave before the end of what they have paid to see.....strange.

Where will be areas be. I assume outside the ground?

Yes. For the trial tonight they are opening one gate in the Darwen end lower and barriering off an area, just for half-time. I imagine they will do something similar for the Blackburn End lower, assuming it gets approved.

A year or two back I just so happened to drive past The City of Manchester Stadium when they were playing Utd and I noticed a lot of people on the spiral ramps. It was as the game was being played (I had it on the radio) and I thought it looked odd until I realised they were having a smoke.

Surely people can go without for 2 hours?

Your not allowed to smoke on the spiral ramps. Found that out at the last magic weekend.

Can of worms, but any chance they'd allow electronic cigarettes in certain areas? I know a lot of people are naive and against them due to being fed government driven propergander, but it may be an option?

No ... They chuffing stink like tarts knickers

I've never got the idea of a bloke putting a long thing in there mouth and sucking on it

There's a variety of flavours mate, I'm on Custard at the minute ;-) Tarts Knickers sounds an Interesting flavour though! :lol:

Can of worms, but any chance they'd allow electronic cigarettes in certain areas? I know a lot of people are naive and against them due to being fed government driven propergander, but it may be an option?

I presume they will be allowed in the designated smoking areas.

LoL. Someone probably said the same 100yrs ago about cancer sticks

As a smoker, even I find it abhorrent that people see the need to smoke in the bogs at HT.

Ok I might not be heavy smoker but I do find it strange that people can't go for a couple of hours without one. How do these people cope on planes & trains?

Even if there was a smoking area I probably wouldn't bother at HT. There's something about that one as you come out of the ground after the game - it's either to calm down or it's like heaven in celebration!

Archived