SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RANT 3

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

Optional indicators as I call them on the road. Slowing right down at a junction, then turning without indicating.

Lamb shankers.

Optional indicators as I call them on the road. Slowing right down at a junction, then turning without indicating.

Lamb shankers.

Almost as bad those that do that then indicate at the last moment. They may as well not bother. MIRROR, SIGNAL, MANOEUVRE!

Piers Morgan talking about Kevin Pietersen. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, having Morgan banging on about you at every opportunity can't help your case. I keep having to turn off my radio

Even weirder is the way it is being reported, even on BBC 'Piers Morgan said Pietersen says.....'

every morning ,now im in Preston, I see cyclists riding on the road when theres a cycle path for them . asswipes.

Wait till your late because the stream train is crossing the road.

every morning ,now im in Preston, I see cyclists riding on the road when theres a cycle path for them . asswipes.

Lovely.

There is no requirement for cyclists to use a cycle lane. Most cycle lanes are too narrow and make it difficult to ride in a safe manner.

If you are talking about London Road, the number of side roads make the cycle path, it's actually converted shared use pavement, pointless for cycling plus the surface is very poor. I'd never use it.

• Backroom

Lovely.

There is no requirement for cyclists to use a cycle lane. Most cycle lanes are too narrow and make it difficult to ride in a safe manner.

If you are talking about London Road, the number of side roads make the cycle path, it's actually converted shared use pavement, pointless for cycling plus the surface is very poor. I'd never use it.

That's just rude imo. The cycle lane wasn't put there for the sake of it. I assume that if it's inadequate you and many others have complained to the council?

• Moderation Lead

There was some goon this morning that tried to rush across the junction at the bottom of Dill Hall Lane (Accy) and got stuck in the box junction because of a queue, then the lights ended up on green. Simple following of the rules of the road would have prevented them from blocking the road!!

That's just rude imo. The cycle lane wasn't put there for the sake of it. I assume that if it's inadequate you and many others have complained to the council?

I'm not sure if you mean my post is rude or cyclists not using the cycle path? I'll assume you mean my post, it was not intended to be rude but I certainly meant to convey a point with the word lovely. If what I have written is rude I apologise, could you tell us how you feel about ABBEY'S description of cyclists as "asswipes"?

The cycle path in question is very inadequate for a number of reasons; on the level section it is standard pavement width and shared use with pedestrians which is a danger to both pedestrians and cyclists; the uphill section (which runs approximately half way up London Road) is badly rutted, badly repaired and on two levels leaving a continuous raised section running up the middle which is a death trap for cycle wheels; there is street furniture, signs, lamps etc. in the cyclepath; one sign is so low one has to duck to go under it; cyclists have to give way at each of approximately 10 side roads - London Road is tough to ride up and stopping is the last thing one needs.

I only ever use London Road early on Sunday mornings heading out to the Ribble Valley so I have no need to use the cycle path and no real need to complain to the council as I don't live in Preston. This cycle path is though very typical of a local authority paying lip service to the concept by calling a converted pavement a cycle lane.

so millions of pounds wasted for ungrateful cyclists. Lovely.

ABBEY the only money spent on this cyclepath, which is a pretty loose description, was to paint a white line up the middle along with a few bike symbols. The path is so poor with the raised middle section it's dangerous. In proportion it would be like installing a six inch high kerb up the centre of London Road and asking drivers to drive over it to change lanes.

It is rare for millions to be spent on cycle lanes, most of them are just white lines painted alongside the kerb. It's not a huge investment

They are too stuck in their ways to complain. Cyclists know best.

I'm not sure I understand the first bit. In regard to knowing best? Yes a cyclist will understand better than others what is and is not good for cycling.

• Backroom

I'm not sure if you mean my post is rude or cyclists not using the cycle path? I'll assume you mean my post, it was not intended to be rude but I certainly meant to convey a point with the word lovely. If what I have written is rude I apologise, could you tell us how you feel about ABBEY'S description of cyclists as "asswipes"?

The cycle path in question is very inadequate for a number of reasons; on the level section it is standard pavement width and shared use with pedestrians which is a danger to both pedestrians and cyclists; the uphill section (which runs approximately half way up London Road) is badly rutted, badly repaired and on two levels leaving a continuous raised section running up the middle which is a death trap for cycle wheels; there is street furniture, signs, lamps etc. in the cyclepath; one sign is so low one has to duck to go under it; cyclists have to give way at each of approximately 10 side roads - London Road is tough to ride up and stopping is the last thing one needs.

I only ever use London Road early on Sunday mornings heading out to the Ribble Valley so I have no need to use the cycle path and no real need to complain to the council as I don't live in Preston. This cycle path is though very typical of a local authority paying lip service to the concept by calling a converted pavement a cycle lane.

Certainly not your post, Paul. You're an intelligent and eloquent poster!

I mean not making use of cycle lanes when provided. They are as much for the safety of drivers as bikes (in theory ofc) and I feel it's rude of cyclists not to make use of them.

If they're inadequate then ofc it should be resolved by the council. Better to get it sorted than not use it and potentially be in more danger.

Paul I was calling any cyclist who doesnt use a cycle lane thats been provided for there for there safety , but you knew that. As for the sulk over London Rd that was cyclist snobbery at its best.

Paul I was calling any cyclist who doesnt use a cycle lane thats been provided for there for there safety , but you knew that. As for the sulk over London Rd that was cyclist snobbery at its best.

Cyclist snobbery? What on earth are you talking about? It's a rubbish cycle path, I've explained why. Nothing more. As I rarely use cycle paths I my interest is limited to explaining why people chose not to use it. I don't see how there can be any form of snobbery.

Paul, you've given very good reasons explaining perfectly why you choose not to use the cycle paths mentioned(or even most uk cycle paths in general) but don't expect abby to accept your explanations however valid they may be, he's got his 'projection' head on.

Archived