BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers announce retained list

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given we cannot sign players that command a fee, nor can we offer free transfers more than 10k per week, it make completes sense to renew agreements for Kilgallon and Williamson.

Slightly surprised by Taylor. But I'm sure he'll end up signing in the end. Similar happened to Olsson a season or so ago.

Sad to see Varney seriously injured, but he needed releasing.

The key is King. With seemingly one (possibly both) of Rhodes and Gestede leaving, we are not going to be able to source the quality we need on a free and for less than 10k per week. King is absolutely essential for us. For me, he'd be our biggest signing of the summer.

Robbo has been great for us, but in the last couple of years he has been paid a hell of a lot for not very much - during a time we are financially on our knees.

Not blaming him, but he has done well out of rovers. Glad he is off the books

The word on Robbo is he fell out with GB after he was dropped and he refused to sit on the bench and be no 2 despite the option being there. That's the polite word doing the rounds, no idea if it's true but it's a poor do on his part and I'm a big fan of his. Then again he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place. All down to ££ probably.

The word on Robbo is he fell out with GB after he was dropped and he refused to sit on the bench and be no 2 despite the option being there. That's the polite word doing the rounds, no idea if it's true but it's a poor do on his part and I'm a big fan of his. Then again he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place. All down to ££ probably.

And his inability to claim a cross or stop low shots ;-)

And his inability to claim a cross or stop low shots ;-)

I don't remember Brad being dropped for his inability to position himself or his wall correctly for free kicks on the edge of the area :)

I don't remember Brad being dropped for his inability to position himself or his wall correctly for free kicks on the edge of the area :) ***

Shhh.... You'll have Gordon on your case!

***Or relative inability to claim crosses and command his 6 yard box given his size. (Disclaimer: None of that prevented him from being a great great keeper)

Disappointed C. Taylor has not been offered a new contract. Not sure Kilgallon and Williamson signing new deals is a particular plus, but with the embargo in effect I suppose half of the name of the game is keeping hold of what we have due to the potential difficulty in replacing them.

What's the situation with Dean Rittenberg? Is he part way through a contract?

I recall Parson saying he'd had a very poor season. If he's not good enough to be challenging dollopers like Varney and Brown then we need to be looking elsewhere I'd have thought.

What's the situation with Dean Rittenberg? Is he part way through a contract?

I recall Parson saying he'd had a very poor season. If he's not good enough to be challenging dollopers like Varney and Brown then we need to be looking elsewhere I'd have thought.

From his Twitter May 8th :

"End of a good season for me and my team, looking forward to having a rest and getting back into it next season".

Seems like he is here next season?

• Backroom

Glad to see Kilgallon has signed an extension. Even with our embargo in place can't help but think we could have found better than Williamson, mind.

Hopefully Taylor will eventually sign a new deal. Possible that he's looking to move on though, as despite scoring goals and looking lively when he's made appearances, GB seems to have little interest in playing him regularly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sam Jones leaving? Didn't he start and shine in the youth final? sure it was him

He did yes, wasn't too bad of a player but the two lads with the u18s Matthew Platt and Scott Wharton are both better centre backs, so would imagine one or both of those will step up to the 21's next season.

Tomphil the facts are these he was on huge wages and they were not justified he is now 35 going on 36 so will only get slower so as you say in terms of ££ I'd say it was completely justified to drop him and when you have Steele, Eastwood, Raya ahead of him in the pecking order & have a better command of their 6 yard box I think it is just as well he has gone & if true he refused to sit on the bench as a no.2 he's gone down in my estimation because we have rewarded him handsomely over the years.

I don't remember Brad being dropped for his inability to position himself or his wall correctly for free kicks on the edge of the area :)

I don't remember Brad letting in goals from just outside the centre circle ;)

Disappointed C. Taylor has not been offered a new contract. Not sure Kilgallon and Williamson signing new deals is a particular plus, but with the embargo in effect I suppose half of the name of the game is keeping hold of what we have due to the potential difficulty in replacing them.

i thought he had been offered one but hadn't signed it yet?

When you're told things in confidence Abbey, they stay that way. Must admit I'm not sorry to see him go.

Then why open your mouth in the first place? Can't be doing with the "ITK but I'm not telling" brigade. Why not just shut up?

Tomphil the facts are these he was on huge wages and they were not justified he is now 35 going on 36 so will only get slower so as you say in terms of ££ I'd say it was completely justified to drop him and when you have Steele, Eastwood, Raya ahead of him in the pecking order & have a better command of their 6 yard box I think it is just as well he has gone & if true he refused to sit on the bench as a no.2 he's gone down in my estimation because we have rewarded him handsomely over the years.

I don't remember Brad letting in goals from just outside the centre circle ;)

How many bloody times? He was getting the huge wage for the rest of the season playing or not. There can be no justification for another three goalkeepers when he was still better than all the others anyway

Then why open your mouth in the first place? Can't be doing with the "ITK but I'm not telling" brigade. Why not just shut up?

I like people posting comments from sources at the club. If they have been asked not to give details, and do so, then that source will not confide in them again.

Every reader can decide what to believe, but at the very least, even general comments from the MD of the football club are more interesting than most posts on here.

How many bloody times? He was getting the huge wage for the rest of the season playing or not. There can be no justification for another three goalkeepers when he was still better than all the others anyway

Only if the manager thought he wasn't the best.

I would have steele, eastwood or raya before robbo if we had a match tomorrow

Really feel re-signing Williamson is a waste of one of our very limited squad places under the FFP embargo

Already have Lowe, Evans and Cairney who perform equally/better in central midfield. Lenihan's natural position is DM and I'd rather see him playing than Willo. Yes he tries hard but we should be aiming to bring in a superior replacement (which I don't think would be particularly hard to find).

Really feel re-signing Williamson is a waste of one of our very limited squad places under the FFP embargo

Already have Lowe, Evans and Cairney who perform equally/better in central midfield. Lenihan's natural position is DM and I'd rather see him playing than Willo. Yes he tries hard but we should be aiming to bring in a superior replacement (which I don't think would be particularly hard to find).

Got to have atleast 5 who can play in the middle. Williamson is hopefully just a back up. Same goes for everyone else current alternatives though. Desperately need the leader there. Can't see it being anyone but a loanew from the Premier League.

I like people posting comments from sources at the club. If they have been asked not to give details, and do so, then that source will not confide in them again.

Every reader can decide what to believe, but at the very least, even general comments from the MD of the football club are more interesting than most posts on here.

What you mean is you like to post "I know something you don't and I'm not telling".

Only if the manager thought he wasn't the best.

Wouldn't be the first time the manager was wrong. More like a personal fall out and a disastrous decision financially.

I would have steele, eastwood or raya before robbo if we had a match tomorrow

Wouldn't be anything to do with being a friend of the manager then?

I mistakenly thought I was replying to Parson but hey ho! if the cap fits.

Archived