BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Those Were The Days...

Pedro

I just got thinking about how much I loved football before the social media scene took a hold.

I miss the days when you would wait in anticipation for teletext to update the scores, it would do a quick flash and most often we'd be behind. I would throw the remote at the settee and go off in a sulk. Also, it seemed every time I turned Radio Lancs on the whistle would blow followed by, "Goal action, on Radio Lancashire!"...again, we'd concede and I'd feel partly to blame! Back then I lived off superstition and my nerves - although ridiculous, at least I truly cared though!

Also, during the revolution, I liked to turn up at Ewood on a wet Tuesday or Wednesday and they'd bring someone out of the tunnel who had just signed a deal from seemingly out of nowhere. Great days.

I like to reminisce and just wondered what do you all miss?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitting over the wall by the paddock. Coming out of Ewood and buying the 'Pink' (?) and reading about the game I'd just seen just minutes before. Fish and Chips out of a newspaper further on in the walk home.

Most of all watching Bryan Douglas play.

I was going to say screw IT but thanks to IT I can still watch clips of Duggie, usually when playing for England. :rover:

Clubcall:

"Champions sign new star"

You think 'Here we go, our glorious title defence starts here!"

So you ring the £1.50 a minute phoneline... 'West Ham ace Matty Holmes has penned a 3 year deal ' :mellow:

Haha yeah clubcall! My grandad ran up a massive bill ringing them.

The letters on the side of the wall which corresponded with games taking place for the half time scores.

The Last Sports.

The lads who used to walk around the ground selling crisps, pop and the like from a contraption hanging around their necks.

Alf Thornton and Peter White. Two Roverites who wrote for the Lancashire Evening Telegraph (when it was only available to buy in the evening).

The letters on the side of the wall which corresponded with games taking place for the half time scores.

The Last Sports.

The lads who used to walk around the ground selling crisps, pop and the like from a contraption hanging around their necks.

Alf Thornton and Peter White. Two Roverites who wrote for the Lancashire Evening Telegraph (when it was only available to buy in the evening).

The full time scores were shown when they came in too. Or is my memory at fault?

The Last Sports.

That contraption that looked like a flame thrower was used to dispense hot(ish) water into a plastic cup to make tea, coffee and Bovril; most of the drink powder was still at the bottom of said plastic cup as spoons were an offensive weapon.

Wagon Wheels when they used to be bigger.

Barley wine (age 15)in the BBE.

Doing mooning on the back of Ribblesdale and Owens (of Chorley) coaches.

The Fishwicks special from Leyland to Ewood (sadly Fishwicks closed today).

What I do not miss is the aggro. I remember one visiting goalie for a night match having a dart embedded in the back of his leg (uck).

Pre match in the Blue n Whites Club... then the Waters Edge

Think we are all getting a bit melancholic. :(

Melancholic? No not me :-(

The smell of pipe tobacco

Simon Garner's toothless grin.

Fans changing ends at half time

A mud heap of a pitch

Football League Review inserted into the programme

Clean sheets galore under Howard Kendall

Keeping a low profile in a local hostelry at an away game before realising that it was full of other Rovers fans doing likewise, then pulling out your scarf and bursting into song

Running down the main road outside Burnden Park after another chasing on the Embankment

As mentioned by others - The Sports Pink

Being a respected and well run club

Being able to shout 'Sack the Board' and be listened to.

I remember my ex missus having to walk round the pitch to use the facilities in the Nuttall Street Stand as there were no ladies bogs on the Blackburn End. That was late 80s as well, not really that long ago.

For all of our reminiscing, the facilities are much better these days.

At least this thread takes our minds off the recent torment for a few minutes.

I used to like the Manx Cup, these days we would even struggle to get by in that competition.

I also remember the good old days in the Premier League and European away games.......ah those were the days.......and the pies came with gravy.

A teddy bear being thrown around in the Riverside while being slowly ripped apart.

Standing on the BBE in rivers of urine singing ' Riverside give us a song'. ' who sings in the Riverside, nobody nobody'

P.A. announcements that someone wife has just given birth. Loved the fact that the father went to the football instead of being at the Hospital.

I used to like stamping my feet in the Riverside stand and throwing bag fulls of cut up paper when we scored.

I also used to love it when the players came out and kicked balls into the stands. I still have one somewhere.

Not needing a coat in winter on the BBE

Systematically singing players names as they warmed up in the 5 mins before KO then moving on to the next player when you got a wave.

Singing songs other than anti-Dingle ones (We are Rovers, Super Rovers from the North etc - was nice to sing When the blues go marching in again on Sat).

Waiting in the entrance to the 100 Club to get players autographs - still have pics of me with Barker, Gennoe, Garner and Alan Ainscow (random!)

Proper meat & tatty pies.

Archived