BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Those Were The Days...

Pedro

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitting over the wall by the BBE/Nuttal St. corner flag, and watching Mike Harrison charging down the touch line towards us. My God I thought we were always going to be killed in the collision.

Walking to Ewood from Audley, via Crossfield St and Rockcliffe St, under't Mucky Brig and on down to Bolton Road. The excitement increased with every step.

Standing outside the players entrance after the game to get Duggies, Dobing's and Dougans autographs. I still have them except Dougans, I burnt that.

Thank you for everyone who has contributed to this thread. It's brought a tear to my eyes.

It's been a horrible last couple of weeks especially with the passing of Howard. But reading all the comments of the old days following Rovers has reminded me why I love this Club.

Venkys can't take away our memories.

' Leighton James is a homosexual,

Kindon's wife is on the game again '

In the mid 60s singing F U, FUC, FUC@, FUC@ OFF and then getting told off by my uncle.

Aye aye aye aye, Blackshaw is better than Yashin, Dougie is better than Eusabio and Preston are in for a thrashin'.

Snowballing the Carlisle team coach that was somehow travelling down Cravens Brow in December 1966, my first game.

Coming back from Orient on the Football Special and thinking we were about to be derailed somewhere near Birmingham only to now realise it was Preston Blue having a bonk (lucky sod).

Going to my first away game, Bury 1967 and seeing a mouse under the stand.

Being part of huge away followings when football mattered. We were 2nd or 3rd Div but turned out mainly for cup games - Liverpool, Derby, West Brom. Burnley loads of times in the league especially Boxing Day 77 and again loads of games around 73-76 when our away support was immense.

Seeing the old Ewood in August, resplendent with whitewashed perimeter walls, red painted crush barriers etc. Say what you like but I loved the place.

Case and bladders, normally white but orange in the snow. Lightweight they were not!

The two double deckers waiting to take home fans back to Darwen after the game. Used to park outside St Bartholomew's church.

Seeing players driving normal down to earth cars instead of Porches, Range Rover Sports etc.

Being able to walk from the Riverside, onto the track, then jump over the wall into the Darwen End at the end of the game.

"Bob Lord is a butcher

He wears a butchers hat

And when he wears it back to front

He looks a proper c***"

"Bob Lord is a butcher

He wears a butchers hat

And when it wears inside out

He looks a proper t***"

Sorry CLB.....I meant "book" not "bonk" ;-)

and who was that ugly copper who used to walk in from of the BBE. We used to call him elephant man.

Standing on top of the crush barriers in the BBE leading the chanting:

"Leyland Blues we are here

S*** your birds and drink your beer".

One of my favourite memories was the first time I'd been on the pitch. It was against Derby in the 2nd leg of the Play Offs and we were trying to watch the match on the big screen the club had hired...it made that thing attached to the Blackburn End seem like mega-ultra HD and you could see sod all. I was only about 12 and we scaled the fence at the Darwen End and led an onslaught of kids onto the pitch to watch the match (well dim lights). The stewards just opened the gates and everyone was then stood or sat on the pitch watching the match - then hugging and running around at the final whistle.

That trip to Wembley too! Such a roasting hot and brilliant day, "Yellows! Yellows! Yellows!"

I think it might have been James. Think there are still some of them bars in the back of my mums freezer!! Love this message board as I've told a few of my Rovers mates about this and no one else remembers.

I remember!! think there were definitely more thrown back.

Same as the pantomime horse I have mentioned on here a couple of times ( nobody seems to remember) some Leeds fans turned up in the early eighties and kept falling down the Darwen end terrace and later 80'sand the Sheff Utd Fans who turned up with a man made mock up of Freddie Flinstones 'car' and the Stewards wouldn't let them in the ground with it.

I think it might have been James. Think there are still some of them bars in the back of my mums freezer!! Love this message board as I've told a few of my Rovers mates about this and no one else remembers.

I remember it well.

I think it was the birds dishing them out more than the chocolate!

To the tune of "Wandering Star":

"I was born in the Blackburn End

I was born in the Blackburn End

Knives are made for stabbing

Guns are made to shoot

If you come in the Blackburn End we'll all stick in the boot"

That was being sung at mk dons away by quite a few but didn't quite take off amongst the masses. Still fair play for trying to get on old classic going again!

To the tune of "Wandering Star":

"I was born in the Blackburn End

I was born in the Blackburn End

Knives are made for stabbing

Guns are made to shoot

If you come in the Blackburn End we'll all stick in the boot"

I always sing this version when that advert comes on.

I used to love it when, faced with a defender in front of him, a winger dropped his shoulder and attempted to beat his man. Now it's knocked backwards to a team mate before going back even further and across the pitch to the other side and repeated. If I had had an interest in chess, I would have bought a chess board.

The 5-3-2 formation has already been mentioned but yes, playing with five forwards instead of one. The emphasis on going out to win instead of going out not to get beaten.

Seeing players wearing proper shorts instead of current day baggy, womens-type culottes. Players with black boots that you had to dubbin and not these colourful, bright pink and lime green tarts boots. When players didn't wear womens' hair bands or womens' earrings.

"Bob Lord is a butcher

He wears a butchers hat

And when he wears it back to front

He looks a proper c***"

"Bob Lord is a butcher

He wears a butchers hat

And when it wears inside out

He looks a proper t***"

Sorry CLB.....I meant "book" not "bonk" ;-)

and who was that ugly copper who used to walk in from of the BBE. We used to call him elephant man.

Standing on top of the crush barriers in the BBE leading the chanting:

"Leyland Blues we are here

S*** your birds and drink your beer".

PC Tucker maybe

One of my favourite memories was the first time I'd been on the pitch. It was against Derby in the 2nd leg of the Play Offs and we were trying to watch the match on the big screen the club had hired...it made that thing attached to the Blackburn End seem like mega-ultra HD and you could see sod all. I was only about 12 and we scaled the fence at the Darwen End and led an onslaught of kids onto the pitch to watch the match (well dim lights). The stewards just opened the gates and everyone was then stood or sat on the pitch watching the match - then hugging and running around at the final whistle.

That trip to Wembley too! Such a roasting hot and brilliant day, "Yellows! Yellows! Yellows!"

I love the footage of the first leg when Speedie get's his goals in the 2nd half and the two tiny kids keep trying to run on the pitch........also the clear footage of the teenage fan on the fence giving Derby the V's...............THEY'RE UNSTOPPABLE!!

I wonder who the were?

Could you see anyone doing a Moran these days for the equaliser at t'baseball ground?

I've heard a lot about Tucker the _ucker. Wasn't he the enforcer for the local bobbies? Well known for beating lads up. Proper old school police brutality.

Tried to stitch up my old man for carrying a sword to games and throwing a Plymouth fan though M&S window In town.

Thankfully it wasn't him, it was his mate Gally!

Different times of course.

I love the footage of the first leg when Speedie get's his goals in the 2nd half and the two tiny kids keep trying to run on the pitch........also the clear footage of the teenage fan on the fence giving Derby the V's...............THEY'RE UNSTOPPABLE!!

I wonder who the were?

Could you see anyone doing a Moran these days for the equaliser at t'baseball ground?

I always wonder who the, "F'kin Hell! " man is who the camera cut to when Redknapp scored at Anfield. He read my mind!

I've never seen him at Rovers though.

Archived