BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager

Tom

Next Rovers Manager  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Rovers manager?

• Paul Lambert
    • David Moyes
    • Slovisa Jokanovic
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Paolo di Canio
    • Uwe Rosler
    • David Dunn
    • Billy McKinlay
    • Malky Mackay
    • Ian Holloway
    • Alex McLeish
    • Gus Poyet
    • Tugay Kerimoglu
    • Simon Grayson
    • Billy Davies

Hope we get Lambert/Irving,but even if we don't,it seems the Venkys are getting better advice from someone,who is thinking of the club and not themselves,must admit when Bowyer was potted,I wouldn't have come up with Lamberts name,then when it did I,like probably everybody on here went straight on Wikipedia and checked his stats out,and was pretty impressed,only downside is,he seems more dour than bowyer,but if he gets results who's bothered,besides the two different sources I was also told by someone at last weeks match that Lambert was on the radar,think Venkys mind was made up after the Burnley game,I'm one of the few on here with my glass half full,not half empty,always optimistic,never slagged Bowyer off,only because of the difficult circumstances,with him having to get rid of loads of big earners and then finding us on an embargo,but we are in a results business and think now is right for a change,dosent always work changing managers(Malky McKay) springs to mind,who I would have had in a heartbeat,but ended up doing nothing at Wigan,so let's hope for good news tomorrow,COYB...

What happened at Wigan has crossed my mind more than once since Bowyer was sacked (careful what you wish for etc) - but I must admit that the thought of Lambert and Irvine is quite an exciting one. Also - it possibly goes some way to dispelling the myth that the owners were happy for us to be in the Championship selling the odd player for a profit.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened at Wigan has crossed my mind more than once since Bowyer was sacked (careful what you wish for etc) - but I must admit that the thought of Lambert and Irvine is quite an exciting one. Also - it possibly goes some way to dispelling the myth that the owners were happy for us to be in the Championship selling the odd player for a profit.

One of the countless myths on here torpedoed by this week's events.

I know it'll probably fall on deaf ears. But a good degree of thanks should go to Bowyer for his part in salvaging the club to an extent that a manager like lambert would even consider the job. Not perfect by any means, but he worked hard to rid us of the basket case tag. Not that it's ever disappeared, but in the eyes of the media world they lapped up all he fed them.

It definitely doesn't fall on deaf ears. I think the majority of us agree that he did a good steadying job, with an impressive recruitment record, and was a decent, well-respected fella. The same majority believe that he had taken us as far as his apprenticeship would allow and, more importantly, failed to get anywhere near the best from a decent squad last season.

Ironically, I have been going down to the match with a spring in my step recently as I think we were at the beginning (or in the middle) of one of our purple patches, which always come when we drop towards the bottom 3.

In retrospect and hindsight, the GB era will be remembered positively.

Given that QPR have just appointed a new assistant manager, I doubt Lambert to QPR holds any weight. Assuming that we want Lambert at Rovers, I'd be more worried about Fulham being a more attractive proposition for him.

It's not so much about the excitement of potentially appointing Paul Lambert because it's Paul Lambert. It's more that, finally, we're allegedly looking at proper managers. Feels like a long time ago since we last did that. 7 years and 4 "managers" ago to be precise.

When Allardyce was appointed after Ince, I vaguely remember roversmum saying "Finally, we now have a proper manager again."

• Backroom

I was a fan of GB during and after his first full season. Thought he did a decent job in a fractured environment and brought the club back to a steady, solid footing. By December of his second season, though, it was clear that things were beginning to regress and despite having a good squad we weren't going to break the top six. At that point I wanted change, but still respected GB and the job he was doing despite disagreeing with a fair amount of his decisions by this point.

Unfortunately this season has left a sour taste due to poor results, really poor handling of media and interviews, digs at the fans and a refusal to tell the truth about our situation. In time I'll probably let the last part of his reign go and focus on the positives he brought to the club, but right now I'm relieved he has gone, as things could have turned nasty for him and there was no need for that. It would have been a real shame for his tenure to end with fans calling for him to go.

As long as we hire a proper manager this time, and things improve, I think GB's tenure will ultimately be remembered as a climb back to a level of stability before a brick wall was hit and things needed to change. I'm confident it won't be remembered in the same vein as the likes of Ince or Kean.

Given that QPR have just appointed a new assistant manager, I doubt Lambert to QPR holds any weight. Assuming that we want Lambert at Rovers, I'd be more worried about Fulham being a more attractive proposition for him.

It's not so much about the excitement of potentially appointing Paul Lambert because it's Paul Lambert. It's more that, finally, we're allegedly looking at proper managers. Feels like a long time ago since we last did that. 7 years and 4 "managers" ago to be precise.

When Allardyce was appointed after Ince, I vaguely remember roversmum saying "Finally, we now have a proper manager again."

People need to look at the bigger picture re Lambert, not just a leanish spell at Villa, (they are in a worse position now than when he left).

Did well at every other club he's managed and has tangible success on his CV.

Given how much our stock has fallen I would see his appointment as a genuine coup.

While we are all waiting this thread is fun reading and sums a lot of us up. From the best thing that ever happened to champaign corks when he is potted.

http://www.avillafan.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9017-paul-lambert-sacked-merged-topics/&page=1

I don't know about that. Just been reading the last page in that thread and most posters seem to be gutted that it didn't work out for Lambert. There's actually more anger towards Lerner.

Keep reading. In some pages you could swap Gary for Paul.

I noticed that. Comments like, more good signings than bad but couldn't get them playing to their best. Under an embargo that is the opposite of what we need. However, I'm fairly optimistic about this appointment should it come to pass. Even if he does resemble Bowyer, he is more experienced and has impressive promotions on his CV, as well as a better reputation in the game. Worst case scenario he should be an upgraded version of Bowyer by the sound of it.

I noticed that. Comments like, more good signings than bad but couldn't get them playing to their best. Under an embargo that is the opposite of what we need. However, I'm fairly optimistic about this appointment should it come to pass. Even if he does resemble Bowyer, he is more experienced and has impressive promotions on his CV, as well as a better reputation in the game. Worst case scenario he should be an upgraded version of Bowyer by the sound of it.

Don't get me wrong I'd be very happy with him I just find that long thread funny and typical of us forum dwellers.

Lambert's time at Villa is interesting as it is towards the end of a long decline since O'Neill. Houllier was pretty poor but McLeish really screwed it up. Perhaps he was the wrong man to come in when Lerner was losing interest and a negative mindset took hold. You can only listen to moaning Brummies for so long before you get depressed too!

It seems very likely that that WAS the owners position until recently. Now they appear to have had a change of mind, like Chaddy!

To argue that coasting along in the Championship indefinitely,buying and selling, was never in their "plan" is stretching it a bit.

One of the countless myths on here torpedoed by this week's events.

Is that sour grapes I smell?

It seems very likely that that WAS the owners position until recently. Now they appear to have had a change of mind, like Chaddy!

To argue that coasting along in the Championship indefinitely,buying and selling, was never in their "plan" is stretching it a bit.

Is that sour grapes I smell?

Truth is that none of us really know their intentions - or what their plans are. But IMO it never rung true that they were happy to potter along in mid-table selling the odd £6m player while debts continued to increase - the only way they are ever going to get their money back is in the Premiership - even a fire sale of all the playing squad would only put a dent in our/their debts.

• Backroom

Truth is that none of us really know their intentions - or what their plans are. But IMO it never rung true that they were happy to potter along in mid-table selling the odd £6m player while debts continued to increase - the only way they are ever going to get their money back is in the Premiership - even a fire sale of all the playing squad would only put a dent in our/their debts.

You can't blame people for drawing that conclusion though. All evidence pointed that way, and there were a fair few people supposedly connected to the owners suggesting this was the case.

Bowyer's sacking does send a message that Venky's want better, but it's up to them to achieve that. It won't happen without the effort. Hire an experienced manager with a track record, install a proper boardroom and see where it takes us. At least if this fails we'll know they are trying. It's the utter apathy of the past couple of years that has grated, as our slide into mediocrity has been met with total silence and a lack of action from the owners.

Terry Gennoe says if Paul Lambert gets the #rovers job he would be a 'fantastic choice'

https://t.co/pzHIyLdzLmhttps://t.co/qxNBtSaRBz

good to see an ex rover that's still very respected in the game praising Lambert and sharing the same opinions as most of us fans, makes a changed from the crap washed up has beens that achieved nothing after they retired from playing like Garner and Gallacher come out with.

Archived