BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager

Tom

Next Rovers Manager  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Rovers manager?

• Paul Lambert
    • David Moyes
    • Slovisa Jokanovic
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Paolo di Canio
    • Uwe Rosler
    • David Dunn
    • Billy McKinlay
    • Malky Mackay
    • Ian Holloway
    • Alex McLeish
    • Gus Poyet
    • Tugay Kerimoglu
    • Simon Grayson
    • Billy Davies

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, I think Pearson is miles away from being our manager. Can't see him choosing us over Fulham/QPR realistically.

I can't see Pearson ending up at any of them. The longer Leicester carry on thriving at the top of the league the more enhanced Pearson's reputation becomes. He can sit back and relax with no need to repair his reputation, and wait patiently for a job that suits him. It's the managers out there who need to prove a point i.e. Lambert and Moyes, who are more likely to want to get back in and start work again.

I can't see Pearson working at QPR under a Director of Football, unless he's willing to relinquish some power to get another job. He doesn't appear to even be on our radar. Lord only knows which way this lot will go if they can't land Lambert. That is a prospect that fills me with dread.

Perhaps Fulham at a push if they offered him big money, but do Fulham have that money? They can't go on spending as they have on their gates with FFP. Or can they?

His full remaining contract. I think he was on a rolling year?

Reckon he would have been on a bit below the Championship average. No idea what that would be though. 200 grand a year?

I would guess - if we get him - Lambert will be on as much as five or six times Bowyer.

No way was Bowyer earning so little. At least £8k a week I reckon. Certainly closer to £400k a year.

Guy on Facebook posted a picture of he and Moyes in a Ladbrokes near to Ewood which was taken today. Quite what he was doing in there I haven't a clue, but looks to be a legit picture, randomly (although you never can tell with social media).

I saw that picture myself, and it appears to be legit of Moyes with a couple of lads in a bookies, but there's no evidence of when the photo was taken or which bookies it was.

I can't see Pearson ending up at any of them. The longer Leicester carry on thriving at the top of the league the more enhanced Pearson's reputation becomes. He can sit back and relax with no need to repair his reputation, and wait patiently for a job that suits him. It's the managers out there who need to prove a point i.e. Lambert and Moyes, who are more likely to want to get back in and start work again.

I can't see Pearson working at QPR under a Director of Football, unless he's willing to relinquish some power to get another job. He doesn't appear to even be on our radar. Lord only knows which way this lot will go if they can't land Lambert. That is a prospect that fills me with dread.

Perhaps Fulham at a push if they offered him big money, but do Fulham have that money? They can't go on spending as they have on their gates with FFP. Or can they?

I agree with what you've said about Pearson. I don't think Moyes' reputation is so bad that he can't land a Premier League job though.

I do like the sound of Lambert, I actually think he'd do well. I think its a big job at all three of those clubs and could be a case of 'ip dip do'

I'd be very surprised if anyone with any standing in the game, and I include Lambert in that, would even consider working for owners like ours. The clubs a shambles from top to bottom, we're under embargo and the squads poor.

I'd not take a job that I was doomed to fail in, would you?

I am sure some on here can empathise that managers by their very nature have big egos and the surest confidence in their ability no matter how many times they have been sacked.

Remember Lee Clarke? He was convinced he was the only person who could save Blackpool.

I'd be very surprised if anyone with any standing in the game, and I include Lambert in that, would even consider working for owners like ours. The clubs a shambles from top to bottom, we're under embargo and the squads poor.

We have had worse squads than this before and got good quality managers, i find your post very annoying/negative, are you bored and looking for confrontation.

Gav, there's more to this than meets the eye. Lambert is quite an intelligent bloke and I think we can rest assured he's raised those same concerns. I think it's pretty much certain that he will have met a new CEO together with the owners and things have been thrashed out.

If I was offered enough £££ then certainly...

If I was already out of work I would. What have you got to lose ? Even if you fail just the fact you were working for the Venkies will provide you with a ready made alibi.

• Moderation Lead

Managers love a challenge and they also love money.

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, when Liverpool sacked Rogers, it was the worst kept secret in football that Jurgen Klopp would be the next man in charge, yet it was a few days after before it was officially announced. So I'm not getting my knickers in a twist just yet, although if nothing happens by weekend then a might start twitching.

There could be a number of things to sort out, there was a link yesterday to an article about Alan Irvine still being on West Brom's payroll. If Lambert is the man, and he wants Irvine as his No.2 then there could be negotiations with West Brom holding things up. If, as reported, they won't release him from his contract til Xmas, there may be an interim solution being looked.

Deals will need to be sorted with all his preferred coaching staff as there's no-one here at present. Plus there's the 5.5hr time difference to contend with. If deals are agreed over here late on, then it'll be the next day when they have a chance to be signed off in India.

I'm slightly nervous due to history but I'm not getting stressed out just yet.

It really is win win. An unemployed manager is earning £0 and is out of the limelight. Get a job at a club like Rovers, sign a good contract and get to work. Best case is that he does well, in which case the club goes up or a Premier League offer comes along, worst case is he doesn't do well but still gets paid off and can blame Venkys/embargo.

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, when Liverpool sacked Rogers, it was the worst kept secret in football that Jurgen Klopp would be the next man in charge, yet it was a few days after before it was officially announced. So I'm not getting my knickers in a twist just yet, although if nothing happens by weekend then a might start twitching.

There could be a number of things to sort out, there was a link yesterday to an article about Alan Irvine still being on West Brom's payroll. If Lambert is the man, and he wants Irvine as his No.2 then there could be negotiations with West Brom holding things up. If, as reported, they won't release him from his contract til Xmas, there may be an interim solution being looked.

Deals will need to be sorted with all his preferred coaching staff as there's no-one here at present. Plus there's the 5.5hr time difference to contend with. If deals are agreed over here late on, then it'll be the next day when they have a chance to be signed off in India.

I'm slightly nervous due to history but I'm not getting stressed out just yet.

A more sensible approach would be for Venkys to have agreed on the way forward (get rid of Bowyer & appoint Mr X instead) in advance before leaving it to their lawyers/advisors to sort out the minutiae of contracts, coaching staff etc. If they are seriously having negotiations now between India and the UK with a 5 hour time difference and religious festival to work round then we have no hope.

oh shut up ya miserable git

I don remember reading a thread this much since the Duff one years ago.

The longer it goes on the more agitated and stressed everyone will become. It's difficult to imagine Venky's doing something right. Well I believe they have this week, and hopefully will appoint the right man(Lambert for me), but we all know how they are.

Maybe they are trying to get Ronaldinho as player/manager? This is the marque signing they promised! :lol:

Maybe the delay in tying up a deal with Lambert is purely and simply that he is either en route to India or back from India having met up with his paymasters face to face.

Maybe they're planning on coming over after their festival? If prospective new managers have to fly over there, it could take a while. The lack of Irn Bru in India could also be an issue?

There doesn't seem to be a huge rush for any of the three vacancies right now in Rovers, QPR and Fulham. QPR you can kind of understand as they have a safe pair of hands in Warnock, but with Rovers and Fulham the pressure is on.

As others have pointed out I really do not want a Kinder surprise.

Alan Curbishley is taking training at Fulham as caretaker manager there

The clubs a shambles from top to bottom.

I'm pretty sure the club is no longer a shambles thanks to the efforts of Gary Bowyer. His results have ultimately been poor this season, but the previous 2 seasons he has basically restored our image and reputation, brought back much-needed positivity and spirit, and stabilized the club. Yes, it's probably the right decision to let him go now, with a mere 3 wins out of 16, but let's not discount the good work he has done and think we're still the shambles we were when Michael Appleton was sacked.

It really is win win. An unemployed manager is earning £0 and is out of the limelight. Get a job at a club like Rovers, sign a good contract and get to work. Best case is that he does well, in which case the club goes up or a Premier League offer comes along, worst case is he doesn't do well but still gets paid off and can blame Venkys/embargo.

Not sure it is like that for Lambert. The Villa debacle has made a career in the prem very difficult for Lambert which is obviously what he (and any manager) wants.

To correct this he needs the next club he comes to to be a success to open doors on that front again. To do that he needs to feel he has a realistic chance of being promoted. If he comes to rovers and knock about mid table for a season and a half then clubs that would maybe be interested now if looking for a manager would start to see him as a hasbeen. I doubt whoevers got new owners and are flush with cash will look and say "Oh no worries, you were under embargo".

Owen Coyle is a fantastic example of how quickly managerial careers can be forged and lost.

To that end I imagine Lambert will want assurances that

-we are coming out of embargo

-that he will have resources to sign players over a sustained period

-that he will keep our best players

-that he will have a competent and supportive board

It is easily conceivable he has expressed a general interest, which encouraged the sacking of Bowyer, but now push has literally come to shove he is asking some more probing questions about all these elements and wondering whether he really wants the job.

Archived