BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager

Tom

Next Rovers Manager  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Rovers manager?

• Paul Lambert
    • David Moyes
    • Slovisa Jokanovic
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Paolo di Canio
    • Uwe Rosler
    • David Dunn
    • Billy McKinlay
    • Malky Mackay
    • Ian Holloway
    • Alex McLeish
    • Gus Poyet
    • Tugay Kerimoglu
    • Simon Grayson
    • Billy Davies

Can't imagine why he would need to fly out to India. Shaw is more than capable of concluding negotiations and tying up a contract.

Can't believe everyone missed this, brilliant one liner!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure it is like that for Lambert. The Villa debacle has made a career in the prem very difficult for Lambert which is obviously what he (and any manager) wants.

To correct this he needs the next club he comes to to be a success to open doors on that front again. To do that he needs to feel he has a realistic chance of being promoted. If he comes to rovers and knock about mid table for a season and a half then clubs that would maybe be interested now if looking for a manager would start to see him as a hasbeen. I doubt whoevers got new owners and are flush with cash will look and say "Oh no worries, you were under embargo".

Owen Coyle is a fantastic example of how quickly managerial careers can be forged and lost.

To that end I imagine he will want assurances that

-we are coming out of embargo

-that he will have resources to sign players over a sustained period

-that he will keep our best players

-that he will have a competent and supportive board

It is easily conceivable he has expressed a general interest, which encouraged the sacking of Bowyer, but now push has literally come to shove he is asking some more probing questions about all these elements and wondering whether he really wants the job.

No argument about any of that JBN....apart from the last paragraph, which is purely speculation and the type which is sending this MB into meltdown.

You post some very good analytical stuff about tactics/formations etc which I thoroughly enjoy reading, but scaremongering about what may or may not be happening, without a single shred of evidence for it, is possibly not helping those on here who love a good conspiracy theory to calm the kean down. :o

Not sure it is like that for Lambert. The Villa debacle has made a career in the prem very difficult for Lambert which is obviously what he (and any manager) wants.

To correct this he needs the next club he comes to to be a success to open doors on that front again. To do that he needs to feel he has a realistic chance of being promoted. If he comes to rovers and knock about mid table for a season and a half then clubs that would maybe be interested now if looking for a manager would start to see him as a hasbeen. I doubt whoevers got new owners and are flush with cash will look and say "Oh no worries, you were under embargo".

Owen Coyle is a fantastic example of how quickly managerial careers can be forged and lost.

To that end I imagine Lambert will want assurances that

-we are coming out of embargo

-that he will have resources to sign players over a sustained period

-that he will keep our best players

-that he will have a competent and supportive board

It is easily conceivable he has expressed a general interest, which encouraged the sacking of Bowyer, but now push has literally come to shove he is asking some more probing questions about all these elements and wondering whether he really wants the job.

Even these fools would want more than an " expression of general interest " before sacking almost the entire coaching staff. Wouldn't they ?

We have had worse squads than this before and got good quality managers, i find your post very annoying/negative, are you bored and looking for confrontation.

Which squad do you think was worse than this and we got a good manager?

Gav's post is how most Rovers fans I know feel, do you remember the last five years?

Oh to be a QPR or Fulham supporter and be able to relax knowing that the club has everything under control and that a proper search/recruitment process is underway with a competent board/owners leading the way.

In the meantime they can rely on the vast wealth of Neil Warnock and Alan Curbishley to steer them through training. If they get to next week and haven't made progress they can leave it in more than capable hands for their next league games.

Meanwhile at Rovers we took the step of sacking everyone, so are now relying on John Filan and Eric Kinder to oversee training with no idea what is going on. Every day that goes by is a day less preparation for next week. If we can't land our top target then what? Is it really an option that we could go to Preston with Eric Kinder and John Filan as the management duo?

Sighs ...i do think we should all try and stop pre guessing what the Venkys are going or not going to do next because for the last few years i dont think any of us have got it right including those "in the know" Thats not a dig at you ,its human nature to surmise but we really are all in the dark when it comes to this lot.

I think for the moment we ve to be grateful that Bowyer has been removed including his backroom team which on paper opens up the oppertunity for others to come in and with fresh ideas and outlook ..who ever they may be.

They appoint someone in 24 hrs and its rushed ...someone in five days and its missing the boat :P

Oh to be a QPR or Fulham supporter and be able to relax knowing that the club has everything under control and that a proper search/recruitment process is underway with a competent board/owners leading the way.

In the meantime they can rely on the vast wealth of Neil Warnock and Alan Curbishley to steer them through training. If they get to next week and haven't made progress they can leave it in more than capable hands for their next league games.

Meanwhile at Rovers we took the step of sacking everyone, so are now relying on John Filan and Eric Kinder to oversee training with no idea what is going on. Every day that goes by is a day less preparation for next week. If we can't land our top target then what? Is it really an option that we could go to Preston with Eric Kinder and John Filan as the management duo?

We don't know what is going on behind the scenes, we might just be sorting out all the paperwork.

No reason at all to panic right now, if it turns out we appoint another novice then fair enough and i will be panicking/angry too. Until then just relax and wait, it's out of our hands so why worry.

Which squad do you think was worse than this and we got a good manager?

Gav's post is how most Rovers fans I know feel, do you remember the last five years?

I admit you gotta go back some years, try the third division days when i was there with gates of 4500, or the second division, and yes i still have been there the past five years, the fans i know wanted rid of bowyer end of last season, i have seen managers come and go, some good some bad, nobody will ever beat Ken Furphy for wheeling and dealing, remember we couldn't pay the bloody mikman in those days, the wringing of hands cos Bowyer has been sacked is well quite amusing, look at the stats he was going backwards faster than a steam train.

Do some of you ever read other web sites, QPR for instance their owner is in some caribbean country, Les ferdinand has had to fly out to meet him, they want a head coach to work under Ferdinand, i dont think thats a Lambert job, so i don't think QPR fans know what's going on either , a similar scenario at Fulham.

We don't know what is going on behind the scenes, we might just be sorting out all the paperwork.

No reason at all to panic right now, if it turns out we appoint another novice then fair enough and i will be panicking/angry too. Until then just relax and wait, it's out of our hands so why worry.

I just can't help it with this lot. Like I say, if we were a normal club then I could relax and be confident that a good outcome would be reached, but not with Venkys.

I don't see why it necessarily has to be 'Lambert or bust'. The fact we've even considered a manager of Lambert's calibre shows that they're taking prudent advice for a change. It stands to reason that the same adviser would recommend the next best thing, rather than another completely batshit appointment.

I admit you gotta go back some years, try the third division days when i was there with gates of 4500, or the second division, and yes i still have been there the past five years, the fans i know wanted rid of bowyer end of last season, i have seen managers come and go, some good some bad, nobody will ever beat Ken Furphy for wheeling and dealing, remember we couldn't pay the bloody mikman in those days, the wringing of hands cos Bowyer has been sacked is well quite amusing, look at the stats he was going backwards faster than a steam train.

Do some of you ever read other web sites, QPR for instance their owner is in some caribbean country, Les ferdinand has had to fly out to meet him, they want a head coach to work under Ferdinand, i dont think thats a Lambert job, so i don't think QPR fans know what's going on either , a similar scenario at Fulham.

So at no time in the last 30 years.

It's not hand wringing, the issues that people are bringing up still exist and expectations are of promotion. That's the point.

I just can't help it with this lot. Like I say, if we were a normal club then I could relax and be confident that a good outcome would be reached, but not with Venkys.

Define a normal club these days

So at no time in the last 30 years.

It's not hand wringing, the issues that people are bringing up still exist and expectations are of promotion. That's the point.

Hard at reading now, do i have to spell out the teams from the last 40 odd years which have been worse or are you just being pedantic. Promotion should always be the aim not mid table bumbling along that's the point.

Define a normal club these days

Hard at reading now, do i have to spell out the teams from the last 40 odd years which have been worse or are you just being pedantic. Promotion should always be the aim not mid table bumbling along that's the point.

No wasn't having a go with the 30 year comment, just saying nothing recently.

I think aims should be realistic, and don't believe this team good enough to challenge for play offs.

• Moderation Lead

No wasn't having a go with the 30 year comment, just saying nothing recently.

I think aims should be realistic, and don't believe this team good enough to challenge for play offs.

I just don't think this is the case. With a better manager and a solid game plan we could easily be there or thereabouts.There's absolutely no way a better manager wouldn't have done better with this squad, especially last season, as far as I'm concerned. Do you think we'd have thrown away as many points from winning positions with a manager at the helm who put the fear of God into the players after doing so? I doubt it personally.

The only squads that really stand out in terms of personnel are Middlesbrough, Derby and Burnley (to an extent as they've been together for a while).

Other teams that will be pushing at the top end of the table are no better than us for me. Ipswich, Brighton, Wolves and Birmingham are cases in point.

I just don't think this is the case. With a better manager and a solid game plan we could easily be there or thereabouts.There's absolutely no way a better manager wouldn't have done better with this squad, especially last season, as far as I'm concerned. Do you think we'd have thrown away as many points from winning positions with a manager at the helm who put the fear of God into the players after doing so? I doubt it personally.

The only squads that really stand out in terms of personnel are Middlesbrough, Derby and Burnley (to an extent). Other teams that will be pushing at the top end of the table are no better than us for me.

Ipswich, Brighton, Wolves and Birmingham cases in point.

It's a moot point now. We will find out soon enough with the new guy.

Archived