BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rip Jimmy Hill

Mike E

I believe he was a driving force behind the scrapping of the wage cap which looking back didn't appear to do a lot of modest clubs many favours. Didn't always agree with his punditry but what always came across is the guy was absolutely football through and through, not many like him left now. RIP

Always remember when we beat then First Division Coventry in the FA Cup in 1980. Crawford's goal and the turd brown shirt they wore. His face when they showed the highlights on MOTD and his begrudging 'Well done Blackburn!'

Also the live televised game for the Friday night Cup tie against Southampton. Cameraman in middle of Blackburn End with mic surrounded by plywood and fans banging on the side shouting 'Jimmy Hill's a @#/?' to the watching millions!

RIP JH. One of football's visionaries but it's hard to read about what he did for the game and not think that everything that is wrong with the game now was instigated by him.

Sponsorship taking over

The Press and TV being overly involved

Self-important pundits

Obscene salaries

Granted he probably didn't envisage the way it has panned out but he challenged and removed the rules that prevented it.

I think the guy had a lot of resentment towards Rovers. No idea why though.

He spoke to me once. I remember we were playing Fulham, early sixties sometime, on the way to Ewood my Dad told me we would be seeing the only bearded footballer, he was playing full back. Rovers were kicking towards the Blackburn end, I was sitting on a tiny bench in front of the wall to the right of the goal, the ball went out of play and momentum carried Jimmy Hill over the line and towards the wall, he almost collided with us small boys, "out of the way,son" he said. That's my memory.

I can't comment on his prowess as a player, but as a manager and administrator he was one of the most innovative influences there has ever been in the game.

RIP JH. One of football's visionaries but it's hard to read about what he did for the game and not think that everything that is wrong with the game now was instigated by him.

Sponsorship taking over

The Press and TV being overly involved

Self-important pundits

Obscene salaries

Granted he probably didn't envisage the way it has panned out but he challenged and removed the rules that prevented it.

I think the guy had a lot of resentment towards Rovers. No idea why though.

You stole my thunder stu. Was about to post the same thing. Very sad to hear of his passing and I can't say I ever felt any negativity towards him really. But I'm sure he'd be sad to think his well intended legacy is a sport riddled with money grabbing mercenaries. Not that it matters a jot, but I wish his family the best.

Archived