BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough (H) Boxing Day (26/12/15) Kick Off @15.00

K-Hod

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Preview by K-hod so thanks for that.

Very tough game as Boro are the strongest side in this league. Leadbitter is probably the best midfielder in this league.

But I do feel that we can get a good result.

My team for this game is:-

Steele; Henley, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson; Lawrence, Guthrie, Akpan, Conway; Koita, Rhodes

Subs:- Eastwood, Kilgallon, Spurr, Lenihan, Marshall, Taylor, Brown

Isn't Kiota along with Browny playing a couple of levels above their respective abilities to begin to even think about a win and then there's young Adam Henley to scare the life out of you.

Can Shane Duffy produce an attacking header that actually hits the back of the net ?

Duffy getting a beader on target would tickle me pink.

Middlesbrough sold 'just short' of 5500 of their allocation of 6900, so considerably less than what they brought last year, despite being top of the league. Reinforces my belief that last year was a one off novelty event for them. Whilst 5500 is a strong following nonetheless, it's closer to normal service than the 7000 plus they had last year.

Hopefully this will see an end to the relentless lauding of their away support. No more impressive than our 5500 sell out at Preston. Longer journey but Boxing Day, top of the league and one of their closest away trips help make up for the distance difference.

The drop in numbers is down to the fact that no trains are running on Boxing Day but I'd expect a few last minute fans paying on the gate to take numbers up to nearer 6,000. It will be the largest away following in the Country on Boxing Day by some distance. Comparing the trip to a bicycle ride to Preston is nonsense.

The drop in numbers is down to the fact that no trains are running on Boxing Day but I'd expect a few last minute fans paying on the gate to take numbers up to nearer 6,000. It will be the largest away following in the Country on Boxing Day by some distance. Comparing the trip to a bicycle ride to Preston is nonsense.

Quiite an impressive turn-out at Brighton by the looks of it on TV. How many did you take?

What's your match prediction?

Quiite an impressive turn-out at Brighton by the looks of it on TV. How many did you take?

What's your match prediction?

1,900, our away support is pretty good at the minute and we have a lot of exiled fans down South.

I'm hoping we'll win, on paper we should do but as someone mentioned earlier, our Achilles heel is if we concede first as we rarely come back and win if we go behind. We are so focused on not conceding and were at our best when countering that if we score first we rarely lose but struggle to break down teams who just sit in, the exception was Wolves away but we had Downing and Adomah on the bench to change things and they lost their best centre back to injury at the same time. I'm going for Blackburn 0-2 Boro but last year your keeper had two MotM displays against us and with Steele being our former keeper and Rhodes being a big target it makes things very interesting.

Middlesbrough sold 'just short' of 5500 of their allocation of 6900, so considerably less than what they brought last year, despite being top of the league. Reinforces my belief that last year was a one off novelty event for them. Whilst 5500 is a strong following nonetheless, it's closer to normal service than the 7000 plus they had last year.

Hopefully this will see an end to the relentless lauding of their away support. No more impressive than our 5500 sell out at Preston. Longer journey but Boxing Day, top of the league and one of their closest away trips help make up for the distance difference.

I'm 54 years old and been Supporting Boro for 45 years. A never heard or seen a more rediculous post OMG. Preston away,I travel further for every home game. Expect around 6k with no public transport. And just for the record please find your last few seasons attendances at Boro below.

2014/15= 794

2013/14= 691

2012/13= 545

Now that's laughable ,Anyway i think you get my Drift

• Moderation Lead

I'm 54 years old and been Supporting Boro for 45 years. A never heard or seen a more rediculous post OMG. Preston away,I travel further for every home game. Expect around 6k with no public transport. And just for the record please find your last few seasons attendances at Boro below.

2014/15= 794

2013/14= 691

2012/13= 545

JH is a very good poster on here, and whilst I didn't agree with what he said, it's his view.

You don't win any points for attendances by the way, don't turn into a Newcastle fan ;-)

2014/15= 794

2013/14= 691

2012/13= 545

Laughable? I'll tell you what's laughable, having 1 trophy to your name, and being behind Wigan Athletic and Bury in terms of domestic success, who take less than us to away games.

Far too many people think today that because a football club takes a large following away ( Leeds/ Newcastle/ Sunderland being classic examples), it makes them great. Well I'm sorry, if the team's crap, like all those are, it just shows how thick the fans are, for paying through the nose to watch rubbish!

Anyhow, I think I'll stick to having the 6 FA Cups, 3 league titles and the other trophies we've won, instead of filling out an away end, when we're playing sh*t.

Anyway, all rivalries aside, fair play to you for travelling like you do. I know I'm one of many Blackburn fans who've refused to bother with many games away from Ewood, for a good few years. Since the start of the Allardyce regime, we've been absolutely dire away ( possibly one of the worst in the league), ultimately meaning out atrendances are like they are away.

JH is a very good poster on here, and whilst I didn't agree with what he said, it's his view.

You don't win any points for attendances by the way, don't turn into a Newcastle fan ;-)

Agree to a point K-Hod, but I don't blame the Boro fan for chipping back at what was a poor post really - JH is normally better than that. A Rovers trip to Preston, with an unexpected (and compared to what had gone on for the previous 5 years, 'promising') new manager is hardly comparable to a trip to East Lancs from Boro with no public transport available, top of the league or not.

• Moderation Lead

Agree to a point K-Hod, but I don't blame the Boro fan for chipping back at what was a poor post really - JH is normally better than that. A Rovers trip to Preston, with an unexpected (and compared to what had gone on for the previous 5 years, 'promising') new manager is hardly comparable to a trip to East Lancs from Boro with no public transport available, top of the league or not.

I don't think the two are really comparable, you're right. If I'm not mistaken, I think JH'a post was part of a larger point about us never getting credit for our away followings when they're good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teesside

6,000 on a day with no public transport is a good following, but it's not like Boro are a small Lancashire town sandwiched between a few other Lancashire towns who all have league clubs, and are only 40 miles from some of the biggest clubs in Europe. Teeside has a population of 380,000,a huge catchment area, and nearer half a million if you include Hartlepool. Blackburn wth Darwen's population is about 130,000. I'd say our crowds stack up pretty well with Boro's all things considered, and if we were top of the league and had not lost a sizable chunk of our fanbase due of idiotic owners then we'd take a fair few thousand to Boro on a Boxing Day, like we have in the past.

Can't believe someone has tried to give Boro grief for "only" shifting 5500 tickets on a day with no trains.

Whilst they are top of the league and on form, and do have a bigger local population and catchment area, it's still a good effort.

Boro's support is more fickle than us and that's saying something. Best fans in the world when they are doing well. Seen some awful followings from boro on Ewood when things haven't been going well.

Fair play they brought a great following last season and will do this season. But if they were plodding along in mid table like us there would be sub 1500.

Boro's support is more fickle than us and that's saying something. Best fans in the world when they are doing well. Seen some awful followings from boro on Ewood when things haven't been going well.

Fair play they brought a great following last season and will do this season. But if they were plodding along in mid table like us there would be sub 1500.

Most clubs would fall into a similar category DB, even the mighty Burnley!

6,000 on a day with no public transport is a good following, but it's not like Boro are a small Lancashire town sandwiched between a few other Lancashire towns who all have league clubs, and are only 40 miles from some of the biggest clubs in Europe. Teeside has a population of 380,000,a huge catchment area, and nearer half a million if you include Hartlepool. Blackburn wth Darwen's population is about 130,000. I'd say our crowds stack up pretty well with Boro's all things considered, and if we were top of the league and had not lost a sizable chunk of our fanbase due of idiotic owners then we'd take a fair few thousand to Boro on a Boxing Day, like we have in the past.

And I think all that is fair enough, but the post the Boro fan was responding to was actually suggesting that their shifting 5 - 6000 was nothing to crow about, and also made a general disparaging comment about their support. Had the post been phrased like yours I suspect the Boro bloke/woman would simply have scrolled on by.

Sorry but you never ever have, nor are you likely to bring a fair few thou to Boro. I'm not giving it high and mighty here. Nor am i being aloof in any way at all. I am just stating facts. Even in your glory days in the 90's etc iv'e never seen you with a good turnout at the Riverside. Bolton are another club with the same level of away support as yourselves. You just don't simply travel in numbers, i can only speak for the Riverside turnout. Maybe you take lots elsewhere but i am yet to witness it.

Sorry but you never ever have, nor are you likely to bring a fair few thou to Boro. I'm not giving it high and mighty here. Nor am i being aloof in any way at all. I am just stating facts. Even in your glory days in the 90's etc iv'e never seen you with a good turnout at the Riverside. Bolton are another club with the same level of away support as yourselves. You just don't simply travel in numbers, i can only speak for the Riverside turnout. Maybe you take lots elsewhere but i am yet to witness it.

We took a few to Ayresome Park on Boxing Day 1987. Don't know the figures or even if they exist but my recollection is that it was 3 or 4 thousand. We had just signed Steve Archibald. In a general sense, everything is relative my friend. As Blueboy above has alluded to, Blackburn is a very small town surrounded by lots of other footballing towns. We do okay. You mention Bolton. Bolton is 2 or 3 times the size of Blackburn, just to give you some context. Your away turnout in the 90s wasn't great, you couldn't even muster 11 players. :blush:

We took a few to Ayresome Park on Boxing Day 1987. Don't know the figures or even if they exist but my recollection is that it was 3 or 4 thousand. We had just signed Steve Archibald. In a general sense, everything is relative my friend. As Blueboy above has alluded to, Blackburn is a very small town surrounded by lots of other footballing towns. We do okay. You mention Bolton. Bolton is 2 or 3 times the size of Blackburn, just to give you some context. Your away turnout in the 90s wasn't great, you couldn't even muster 11 players. :blush:

:xmas::D

Your away turnout in the 90s wasn't great, you couldn't even muster 11 players. :blush:

Ha ha!! Very good. It might be six thousand on Saturday but there was of course that time when then couldn't even fetch 11.

Let's hope they turn up this time (hopefully no sniffles in the camp) - should be a good game.

Far too many people think today that because a football club takes a large following away ( Leeds/ Newcastle/ Sunderland being classic examples), it makes them great. Well I'm sorry, if the team's crap, like all those are, it just shows how thick the fans are, for paying through the nose to watch rubbish!been absolutely dire away ( possibly one of the worst in the league), ultimately meaning out atrendances are like they are away.

Fair's fair, it was JHRover who was the aggressor. We usually mock rival fanbases for bigging up their attendances or dissing our own. For once, the shoe's on the other foot.

Archived