BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough (H) Boxing Day (26/12/15) Kick Off @15.00

K-Hod

We took a few to Ayresome Park on Boxing Day 1987. Don't know the figures or even if they exist but my recollection is that it was 3 or 4 thousand. We had just signed Steve Archibald. In a general sense, everything is relative my friend. As Blueboy above has alluded to, Blackburn is a very small town surrounded by lots of other footballing towns. We do okay. You mention Bolton. Bolton is 2 or 3 times the size of Blackburn, just to give you some context. Your away turnout in the 90s wasn't great, you couldn't even muster 11 players. :blush:

I was there that day and we took a fair few. I guess Aitorsarse only started watching them when Juninho turned up

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair he does say he supported them for 48 years.

I went when the Riverside had just opened (95 I think) and we took about a couple of thousand then. We put in an awful performance if I remember correctly.

he did so he should remember that we took a big following to Ayresome Park in the '87.

Laughable? I'll tell you what's laughable, having 1 trophy to your name, and being behind Wigan Athletic and Bury in terms of domestic success, who take less than us to away games.

Far too many people think today that because a football club takes a large following away ( Leeds/ Newcastle/ Sunderland being classic examples), it makes them great. Well I'm sorry, if the team's crap, like all those are, it just shows how thick the fans are, for paying through the nose to watch rubbish!

Anyhow, I think I'll stick to having the 6 FA Cups, 3 league titles and the other trophies we've won, instead of filling out an away end, when we're playing sh*t.

Anyway, all rivalries aside, fair play to you for travelling like you do. I know I'm one of many Blackburn fans who've refused to bother with many games away from Ewood, for a good few years. Since the start of the Allardyce regime, we've been absolutely dire away ( possibly one of the worst in the league), ultimately meaning out atrendances are like they are away.

We're only mentioning attendances in response to our away support being criticised, we certainly don't claim to be a big club but we're definitely a proud club. Newcastle and Sunderland may get bigger attendances but they're run by clowns, we try and do things the right way from top to bottom.

he did so he should remember that we took a big following to Ayresome Park in the '87.

Yes, we were superb that day and beat you 2-0.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teesside

6,000 on a day with no public transport is a good following, but it's not like Boro are a small Lancashire town sandwiched between a few other Lancashire towns who all have league clubs, and are only 40 miles from some of the biggest clubs in Europe. Teeside has a population of 380,000,a huge catchment area, and nearer half a million if you include Hartlepool. Blackburn wth Darwen's population is about 130,000. I'd say our crowds stack up pretty well with Boro's all things considered, and if we were top of the league and had not lost a sizable chunk of our fanbase due of idiotic owners then we'd take a fair few thousand to Boro on a Boxing Day, like we have in the past.

I don't think the people of Hartlepool would be pleased with that, most of them hate us.

We're only mentioning attendances in response to our away support being criticised, we certainly don't claim to be a big club but we're definitely a proud club. Newcastle and Sunderland may get bigger attendances but they're run by clowns, we try and do things the right way from top to bottom.

I don't think the people of Hartlepool would be pleased with that, most of them hate us.

'Lisbonlegend'? Did you enjoy that pre season visit to Ayresome Park by those friendly friendly leprechauns from the East End of Glasgow a few years back?

I don't mind Boro, I have family from 'Redcuh'. We seemed to cop it from TalkShite on rotation about our gates and empty seats.

Indeed you do. But it can all change at the drop of a hat. Gibson gets bored, Gibson sells, is badly advised by X, y and z. It ends up in the wrong hands. Run by people who haven't the clubs best interests at heart. One disaster follow another and before you know it you're in the same division as Blackburn Rovers.

Not only that but the incompetents running the place can't grasp that they are being badly advised. The fans are in uproar - we're going down, and yet are vilified in the press, on Sky, in the media for saying so. The best players leave, still it's piled on - bad signing after bad signing - the like of Leon Best - 4 year contract, 35k a week, this in the season we were relegated. Utter madness. Then the inevitable transfer embargo.

And now, at long last, some hope. Some sensible appointments.

Anyway, the 500, 600, 700 gates of the last 3 years are hardly surprising. For me 5-6000 is a fantastic following. No. Criticism here!

Was it really 2-0? I just remember the coins coming over the meshing and the iron gate coming down at the end of the game when it royally went off. Our lads doing all they could to get through it and vice versa. I was straight out of there!

We had some great games with Boro back then. Here's hoping to another cracker on Saturday - with the Rovers stepping up and taking a win.

Merry Christmas all, a safe trip to those travelling from Boro.

5 to 6000 is a fantastic following, I can't see why anyone would argue otherwise.

Our big festive turn out up there was for a 1-1 game with Garner scoring a near post header and bloody chaos outside after.

There have been some good tussels with Boro down the years (when they trapped) For some reason I took a lass to a night game at Ewood when Alan Kernaghan bagged a couple. We got beat 4-2 and she giggled every time Boro scored.

It didn't last.

Sorry but you never ever have, nor are you likely to bring a fair few thou to Boro. I'm not giving it high and mighty here. Nor am i being aloof in any way at all. I am just stating facts. Even in your glory days in the 90's etc iv'e never seen you with a good turnout at the Riverside. Bolton are another club with the same level of away support as yourselves. You just don't simply travel in numbers, i can only speak for the Riverside turnout. Maybe you take lots elsewhere but i am yet to witness it.

Due respect to your turn out, But you're plain wrong about our away followings. We have a good record, even prior to the 90's. My recollection is 4000 for the Boxing Day game. We also took 5/6000 followings regularly and took 7000 to Barnsley around that time. For the size of our TOWN, that's 1st class.

Sorry but you never ever have, nor are you likely to bring a fair few thou to Boro. I'm not giving it high and mighty here. Nor am i being aloof in any way at all. I am just stating facts. Even in your glory days in the 90's etc iv'e never seen you with a good turnout at the Riverside. Bolton are another club with the same level of away support as yourselves. You just don't simply travel in numbers, i can only speak for the Riverside turnout. Maybe you take lots elsewhere but i am yet to witness it.

May I just say. You are wrong! Do you remember Ayresome park.

I much prefer Boro to Toon, who I do detest, and Sunderland who are and have been for years like watching paint dry (apart from that FA Cup win v Leeds).

I think its because years ago I found myself at Highfield Rd watching Coventy v Boro. Armstrong scored and I think it was a win to Boro. I was only there as the wife of the day had family in the area.

Boro for sure have a very good owner who's a Fan too.

Still come Saturday I hope Santa performs, grants my wish and Jordan bags a few in a thrilling Rovers win. Well it is Christmas. ^_^:xmas:

Due respect to your turn out, But you're plain wrong about our away followings. We have a good record, even prior to the 90's. My recollection is 4000 for the Boxing Day game. We also took 5/6000 followings regularly and took 7000 to Barnsley around that time. For the size of our TOWN, that's 1st class.

I went to watch Rovers at Barnsley once in the 80's - there were about 50 of us.

I can remember my one and only visit to Boro at Ayresome Park where we had the away end and I was on the side as close to the away end as I could get because we had sold out. Think this was around Christmas sometime in the early '80s when crowds were dire everywhere but we were on one of our periodic promotion pushes which went nowhere.

I do remember the Boro no show and very vexed about it I was because it was a game I could have got to. It not only consigned Boro to relegation because of the points deduction but also right royally messed up the Rovers. We were on a tremendous run of form and I think we could have gone top of the Premier League with the three points if we had won the game when it should have been played. As it was we ran out of momentum as the season went on but I always feel Boro in effect robbed us of a proper chance at challenging for the title again.

Anyway, do get your club to turn up tomorrow and your fans in their thousands (sounds like the weather will be kind so would be fantastic if you do sell out all 7,000 in the Darwen End), be safe, enjoy the game, and may the best team lose. :xmas:

'Lisbonlegend'? Did you enjoy that pre season visit to Ayresome Park by those friendly friendly leprechauns from the East End of Glasgow a few years back?

I don't mind Boro, I have family from 'Redcuh'. We seemed to cop it from TalkShite on rotation about our gates and empty seats.

You mean the Celtic Friendly, think they brought about 10,000, half of the 20,000 attendance for Tony Mowbray's testimonial. Was a strange atmosphere that day as they'd infiltrated a lot of our home pubs, I remember there was a load of them in my usual pre match haunt, The Westminster. They invaded the pitch at half time and there was a few running battles outside. They've not been invited back since!

Blah, blah, blah, Willie wiggle........ so much tosh about away followings on here this season. You would think it was a dingle board.

I'd rather talk about grass growing ! Who cares how many fans either go or don't go ? As long as the eleven in blue and white turn on up the day that's all I'm bothered about. Most boring subject on this board by a mile.

Indeed you do. But it can all change at the drop of a hat. Gibson gets bored, Gibson sells, is badly advised by X, y and z. It ends up in the wrong hands. Run by people who haven't the clubs best interests at heart. One disaster follow another and before you know it you're in the same division as Blackburn Rovers.

Not only that but the incompetents running the place can't grasp that they are being badly advised. The fans are in uproar - we're going down, and yet are vilified in the press, on Sky, in the media for saying so. The best players leave, still it's piled on - bad signing after bad signing - the like of Leon Best - 4 year contract, 35k a week, this in the season we were relegated. Utter madness. Then the inevitable transfer embargo.

And now, at long last, some hope. Some sensible appointments.

Anyway, the 500, 600, 700 gates of the last 3 years are hardly surprising. For me 5-6000 is a fantastic following. No. Criticism here!

Was it really 2-0? I just remember the coins coming over the meshing and the iron gate coming down at the end of the game when it royally went off. Our lads doing all they could to get through it and vice versa. I was straight out of there!

We had some great games with Boro back then. Here's hoping to another cracker on Saturday - with the Rovers stepping up and taking a win.

Merry Christmas all, a safe trip to those travelling from Boro.

You are right and we know that which is why we sing our Chairmans name at most games and have several banners showing our appreciation. Just as FIFA has shown what a bunch of corrupt @#/? they are, there's plenty of similar characters in England happy to milk the gravy train for their own ends, Mike Ashley for one. As much as I enjoy seeing their fans suffer under our former manager, I'm all too aware that we could easily fall in to the wrong hands if anything happened to Steve Gibson. The Venkys seem like a bunch of cowboys but they've done well to keep hold of Rhodes and get an experienced manager in, I also rated Steele though it was the right move for all parties. A natural finisher like Rhodes could be the missing piece of our jigsaw.

You mean the Celtic Friendly, think they brought about 10,000, half of the 20,000 attendance for Tony Mowbray's testimonial. Was a strange atmosphere that day as they'd infiltrated a lot of our home pubs, I remember there was a load of them in my usual pre match haunt, The Westminster. They invaded the pitch at half time and there was a few running battles outside. They've not been invited back since!

That's the one. I thought, given your user name, that you may have had divided loyalties that day.

That's the one. I thought, given your user name, that you may have had divided loyalties that day.

No, the Lisbon in my username refers to Sporting Lisbon, when we played over there in our first jaunt in the UEFA Cup. Despite getting beat and going out, the 4,000 Boro fans that night were brilliant, we were still in the ground singing half an hour after the final whistle and got a standing ovation from their fans. One of the proudest nights to be a Boro fan.

what about £4m and you take Chris Brown and keep Carlos?

Is that the bloke who slapped Rhianna...

Archived