BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough (H) Boxing Day (26/12/15) Kick Off @15.00

K-Hod

Disappointing that, was looking forward to a good battle in the rain. What do you lot think of Jason Steele and do you think Rhodes will stay in the transfer window?

Steele is okay, nothing special but seems to be getting better now.

I think Rhodes will join you or Hull during the window.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen a video from Ewood. There is standing water between the Blackburn End and the club shop, the River Darwen is overflowing by the Memorial Garden and apparently the neighbouring houses are now being evacuated.

Never mind the pitch, the areas around the stadium are going under water so no way could 20,000+ have moved safely into and out of Ewood.

Disappointing that, was looking forward to a good battle in the rain. What do you lot think of Jason Steele and do you think Rhodes will stay in the transfer window?

I don't dislike Steele, generally he is a good goalkeeper at this level, his main weakness I would say is one on ones. There's not much to choose between him and Eastwood.

Shout out to the people who posted up that this was likely to be postponed up as early as yesterday, we are always one step ahead of the game on here ;)

Hopefully the waterlogging and flooding isn't so bad, not raining here at present so that's a good sign at least. Could end up working out best for us if this game is re-arranged for a time when hopefully Lambert has managed to get a few new players in. Plus we should be fresh for the game against Notlob on Monday if it goes ahead as planned.

I don't dislike Steele, generally he is a good goalkeeper at this level, his main weakness I would say is one on ones. There's not much to choose between him and Eastwood.

I agree with the comparison between him and Eastwood being close, Eastwood did very well in the cup last year. Whilst Steele doesn't do many things wrong he generally never has a worldie, he rarely keeps us in games. Maybe I'm being very harsh due to us being spoilt with goalkeepers over the last 20+ years but to me he just fulfills the role of average championship keeper, doesn't do many things wrong or many things great.

Cheers, good to hear your opinions on Steele, we've certainly not missed him but mainly because we have a strong defensive ethic so Dimi in goal doesn't usually have a lot to do but tends to do it very well. I was never convinced that Steele commanded his area but was a decent shot stopper, he's still young as far as keepers go though so plenty of time to improve.

Very surprised at the apathy towards Rhodes and that you feel you may let him go, I got the feeling it was the Venkys rather than Bowyer who was pulling the strings last time, would it be any different with Lambert in charge?

Cheers, good to hear your opinions on Steele, we've certainly not missed him but mainly because we have a strong defensive ethic so Dimi in goal doesn't usually have a lot to do but tends to do it very well. I was never convinced that Steele commanded his area but was a decent shot stopper, he's still young as far as keepers go though so plenty of time to improve.

Very surprised at the apathy towards Rhodes and that you feel you may let him go, I got the feeling it was the Venkys rather than Bowyer who was pulling the strings last time, would it be any different with Lambert in charge?

Rhodes is the damned if you do, damned if you don't conundrum. As a team we are missing "good" players in quite a few positions, we have no/very little money so money from selling him would allow us to strengthen considerably (if venkys didn't pocket the cash). At the moment we aren't playing to any of his strengths, he vary rarely touches the ball in the box! If we sell him and improve the team we will create the chances then have nobody to finish them. Hmmmm decisions!

As already said, Steele is an average keeper at this level. We could probably do better but there are more pressing positions that need improving for now.

The Rhodes debate is a long and entrenched one that will no doubt rumble on until the day he leaves. His goal record speaks for itself but most fans accept with varying degrees that his all-round game is lacking. The case for the defence is that through a combination of tactics & personnel we aren't getting him the service he needs, whereas the counterargument is that with a better target-man who could bring others into play we'd be stronger than the sum of our parts.

I can see your conundrum, all down to the Venkys then and how much money they have or haven't got and if they did allow him to go, what would happen with the money. From our point of view, we need a natural finisher as our lone front man and there's no one better at this level.

I've just stuck £33 on you lot to beat Bolton on Monday, returns £75 so don't let me down, I figured Boltons morale sapping thrashing at Rotherham and Blackburns extra few days rest (even better as an early kick off) and good form will pay.

I can see your conundrum, all down to the Venkys then and how much money they have or haven't got and if they did allow him to go, what would happen with the money. From our point of view, we need a natural finisher as our lone front man and there's no one better at this level.

I've just stuck £33 on you lot to beat Bolton on Monday, returns £75 so don't let me down, I figured Boltons morale sapping thrashing at Rotherham and Blackburns extra few days rest (even better as an early kick off) and good form will pay.

I personally think Lambert would sell, £12m is a lot of money and could be used to bring 4 or 5 very good young players to our club. With his wages believed to be £40k pw it would also free up the money to spend on wages without impacting on FFP. Rhodes has 2 in his last 12 games which is a poor return. He doesn't always get the service but he has missed some very easy chances over the last 12 months, and he rarely does enough to warrant a place in the team when he isn't scoring. We spent £200k on Gestede and he equalled Rhodes' goals at his time with the club. If Lambert can spot a player losing Rhodes wouldn't be the end of the world. We may not be able to afford to keep him if we want to move forward.

Anyway, how have you lot avoided being hit with an embargo? Downings wages are in the £70k bracket apparently and he cost £7m. You've also spent on other areas. Have you sold anybody? The FA is still looking at other clubs in the Championship as regards FFP so you may not be able to spend £12m on Rhodes. A struggling Prem team like Norwich may go for him in the end.

Venky's would have sold him last summer if they wanted to cash in and keep the money.

As for Steele i think he's a good Championship keeper, pulls off some great saves but is prone to the odd costly mistake. He's only young and with regular football he's only going to get better. He's certainly worth more than the £100k we paid for him.

• Moderation Lead

We've a rotten record there, with 1 win and 4 losses out of our last 5 trips so I'm taking nothing for granted!!

I was looking forward to the game and expecting a good game.

Hopefully it will give us time to develop under Lambert and sign a couple of players

Steele has been in good form this season. One of our best players this season performance wise

On Rhodes, the guy is great finisher and will always score goals at this level. He does lack pace but you have to put pace around him.

does he suit Lambert's style of play? IMO, so far he doesn't. Lambert direct style need a target man with either pacey striker or number 10 player but I think Lambert will slightly change his style to get more chances for Rhodes

If you're successful in your pursuit of Rhodes and then play him on his own up front you're going to be seriously disappointed.

I think we'd go into the Bolton game as bookies favourites, however its a one-sided derby game for them, they hate us, and we see them in the same way you would class Hull as a 'derby'. I think that shows in the recent results tbh, they are always much more up for the game than us.

Having said that if Lennon is still there, hopefully the venom is directed at him rather than us.

Moving the Middlesbrough came is a two-fold benefit to us: 1) we'll be more rested against Bolton; and, 2) Lambert will have more time, via transfers and training, to transform the squad before playing a top ranked team.

We may have walked into a bit of good luck due to bad weather.

I personally think Lambert would sell, £12m is a lot of money and could be used to bring 4 or 5 very good young players to our club. With his wages believed to be £40k pw it would also free up the money to spend on wages without impacting on FFP. Rhodes has 2 in his last 12 games which is a poor return. He doesn't always get the service but he has missed some very easy chances over the last 12 months, and he rarely does enough to warrant a place in the team when he isn't scoring. We spent £200k on Gestede and he equalled Rhodes' goals at his time with the club. If Lambert can spot a player losing Rhodes wouldn't be the end of the world. We may not be able to afford to keep him if we want to move forward.

Anyway, how have you lot avoided being hit with an embargo? Downings wages are in the £70k bracket apparently and he cost £7m. You've also spent on other areas. Have you sold anybody? The FA is still looking at other clubs in the Championship as regards FFP so you may not be able to spend £12m on Rhodes. A struggling Prem team like Norwich may go for him in the end.

Venky's would have sold him last summer if they wanted to cash in and keep the money.

As for Steele i think he's a good Championship keeper, pulls off some great saves but is prone to the odd costly mistake. He's only young and with regular football he's only going to get better. He's certainly worth more than the £100k we paid for him.

Re: FFP, we're in a good position in regards debt:equity as we have no external debt which is key plus we have a Grade 1 academy which means we are allowed greater losses. We also sold Tomlin for £4m, made loads from big cup ties v Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and £4m from play off final plus our crowds are up 6,000 on average. The losses are now also spread over 3 years and not 1 so we're basically playing the game well off the pitch and on it.

It's explained better here : http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-financial-fair-play-work-9583627

Haven't we got a Grade 1 Academy? Yes our debt is ridiculous, but as someone pointed out, operating losses are the key to FFP.

And that's where Venkys have Royaly @#/? us. We were widely acknowledged as being a well run Club before They came along.

Isn't our very own Gumboots an ex-Smoggy?

I used to stand in the Holgate end from 1968 - 1972 when I went to uni. My family still support the Boro and I still have a soft spot for them when they play teams other than rovers. However, it's 43 years since I moved from teesside and 32 since we moved here so I've actually lived here nearly twice the time I lived in Normanby.

Btw on Jason steele. He used to sponsor my cousins daughter who plays in goal for boro ladies. When he moved clubs she wrote to him and said she quite understood if he didn't want to anymore. He said he was quite happy to carry on, but shed have to put his current club on with his name so the Boro ladies keeper plays with BRFC on her front

Archived