BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton V Rovers - 28/12/15

sambo

Yes. We need a couple of right hard bstards to crack a few heads in the dressing room and on the pitch.

I thought Guthrie would turn out to be that dirty sod that we needed. Turns out he's just a Lidl version of Joe Allen. Couldn't pick his nose let alone a decent pass. Whose going to take him off our hands though? In saying that I could say that about our whole squad.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite amazing that we managed to make Bolton look half decent when every other Championship side has managed to treat them like the relegation certainties that they are. They started off looking a poor team and lacking in confidence but our lack of urgency just helped them grow stronger as the game went on. We made Liam Feeny look like a top class winger.

Where to start? The one positive from this match is that we approach January knowing that a rebuild is needed. We could have scraped a few more results and said 'we're only 6 points off the playoffs' and carried on with false hope. Today showed the truth. I would keep Hanley, Duffy, Ollsen, Steele and maybe Conway. If we can cash in on Rhodes I would do to allow a full rebuild of the squad. Midfield and attack were non-existent today.

Lambert has a job on his hands but at least he now knows the size of it. I'm still hopeful he and the backroom staff can do a great job at Rovers but its a question of rebuilding in the next two windows and looking to next season.

Really really disappointed today

Quite amazing that we managed to make Bolton look half decent when every other Championship side has managed to treat them like the relegation certainties that they are. They started off looking a poor team and lacking in confidence but our lack of urgency just helped them grow stronger as the game went on. We made Liam Feeny look like a top class winger.

Where to start? The one positive from this match is that we approach January knowing that a rebuild is needed. We could have scraped a few more results and said 'we're only 6 points off the playoffs' and carried on with false hope. Today showed the truth. I would keep Hanley, Duffy, Ollsen, Steele and maybe Conway. If we can cash in on Rhodes I would do to allow a full rebuild of the squad. Midfield and attack were non-existent today.

Lambert has a job on his hands but at least he now knows the size of it. I'm still hopeful he and the backroom staff can do a great job at Rovers but its a question of rebuilding in the next two windows and looking to next season.

Maybe the players came on this site and read what the meatheads were saying. That we only had to turn up, stroll about and knock a few goals in.

I think Rhodes being subbed today could be an indication that PL has lost patience and he could be on his way.

Rhodes has been subbed a lot under Lambert, can't really remember him ever being subbed under Bowyer, unless he got injured

We made Blackpool look like Brazil last season and that was at Ewood. Something drastic lacking within the basic DNA of this squad which is why we never really challenged the play offs every time we got close. Too many nice lads, average players on good contracts and happy to just plod on. Completely built in the image of the previous boss and probably all expected a pat on the back and a couple of days off for their 'effort' today.

This manger needs his own generals and yard dogs in amongst them to shake things up and mould it into his own image. Then again football these days with it's academy grown players and heaps of foreigners with different attitude there'll probably never be another Flitcroft or Todd.

Leadership and individual character seems to be being stamped out of the game.

Today was absolute trash. Up there with a dreadful away performance against Sheffield United in the old division one.

It's difficult to defend anyone after today. Players and management have to accept that today was pathetic. No excuses.

The players never started and looked unenthusiastic throughout. Lambert made some strange choices with subs and the timing of them.

The Appleton comparison is interesting (and worrying). Having been to Reading and Bolton I have to say we do not look like scoring. Not one bit. At least with Bowyer we gave it a right good go.

We desperately need some pace and creativity in this team. We are slow and predictable. Bolton looked powerful and quick. We looked like a team of Christmas Puddings. (I'm not even sure what that means!)

I'm not expecting Lambert and his staff to fix things immediately but when he joined he talked of 'playing on the front foot' and 'playing entertaining football that would get fans on the edge of their seats'. I've not seen any evidence yet. I think it was PR line for fans and the owners.

On the players, somebody hit the nail on the head earlier, there isn't one player I'd be bothered about losing. I'd sell Rhodes tomorrow if we can reinvest that money in the squad.

Bad day for Rovers. But I'll be at Cardiff, who knows, Duffy might score a header.

Really good post. Agree with it all , apart from selling Rhodes. If I were PL I'd use my tactical and motivational management skills to get the best from him.

Well, that was poor. No discernable plan bar lumping it to Koita, we sat far too deep against a team that were absolute bobbins and who we made look half-decent. That was cowards football. We only showed some urgency when we went behind.

Steele - Did ok, his kicking was a lot better, couldn't do much for the goal - 7

Henley - not as bad a some on here say but he tends to lose concentration. Covered well at times and put a couple of good crosses in. Good squad player but shouldn't be an automatic starter - 6

Duffy - Awful defending for the their goal but generally played quite well. He shouldn't go up for corners anymore

until he can learn to keep the ball in the danger area. Allardyce would sort him out in 10 minutes. If you can't hit the target Shane just head the ball down in the direction of the goal - 6

Hanley - Played well, the one saving grace of the season so far - 8

Olsson - Had his hands full with Feeney but coped ok. Couldn't get forward buth that was as much to do with Marshall - 6

Conway - What's happened to him under Lambert? Playing on the right doesn't help him. He can't beat a man with pace so he has to come back on his weaker foot. Get him back on the left where he can check back and put quality crosses in. - 5

Guthrie - the kind of signing you get when you're under an embargo - a once decent player who was out of contract at his old club because they knew he was finished. Injuries have done for him. he can't press the ball because he doesn't have the pace/fitness required. He's the opposite of what Lambert needs. - 4

Akpan - at least he put himself about but his distribution was awful. Unfortunately he had to do the work of 2 men cos Guthrie was that bad - 5

Marshall - Tactical incompetence from Lambert. He should be on the right. Unlike Conway he can beat his man for pace so he can cross with his better foot. He kept going down the line and in doing so took all the space that Olsson likes to run into when Conway plays on the left and cuts inside. - 5

Rhodes - he didn't make any decent runs but he's probably bored of never getting the ball. He looks like someone who doesn't want to be here. He's been great for Rovers but i'd take £12m in a hearbeat if Lambert's tactic is going to be long punts to his head. - 4

Koita - won a few good headers but he looked a bit lost when he had time to think. Not a great footballing brain. Another who is a good squad player but nothing more - 5

Delf - Looked better than Rhodes simply because he tried to run in behind their back four

Lawrence - didn't do a lot but made a great run to near post but his finish let him down. Rhodes would probably have finished that chance, shame Lambert had took him off.

Lambert - What was the game plan? Why did we only show any intensity when we went behind? There's surely a lot more to coaching than getting players to run round like headless chickens pressing the opposition. These aren't his players but Rotherhams players aren't Redfearns and he got his team to batter a shyte Bolton side 4-0. We didn't have 4 shots. He played like this at Villa though so it's no surprise. Let's hope he can rediscover what he had going at Norwich.

The most realistic and accurate analysis yet. Says it all about where we are.

I see comparisons are being made between Lambert's style of play and that of Michael Appleton. It hadn't occurred to me before but those observations are valid - the "football" being served up at present is far worse than Bowyer's and is reminiscent of the scorched earth policies of Appleton which were devoid of any sort of entertainment and not even effective either. Lambert has it all to prove in my book - even allowing for the lack of talent in the squad. If the new manager has anything about him, we should be playing much better than this.

Correct. Few managers can sell and sign players from the start as most are appointed outside of the transfer windows so what I always look for with a change of Manager is an improvement in attitude, effort, application and teamwork from the players. Despite some rather fortunate early results and with the exception of a couple of exceptions I feel most players have actually worsened in these areas and that aspect concerns me greatly.

I can't help but feel there is a big over reaction to yesterday's defeat. We've all seen equally bad performances in the past and especially in the last five years. I don't see what is surprising about it. In the car enroute to the game the conversation was we should win this but more likely we will be beaten as Rovers have a history of losing to struggling teams.

I've felt, and have previously said, there are very few players worth keeping in the squad. What's surprising is suddenly, after one very, very poor performance, everyone feels the same. Hanley, Kilgallon, Duffy, Steele, Ollson, Henley are worth keeping. The rest can go. Rhodes we should keep if we are going to create a team in which he can perform.

In the games I've seen under Lambert the signs this was coming have been there. Forget which match it was now but one home game we played very well first half and were terrible in the second. I recall saying at the time the major positive from tar match was PL now knew just how bad we are.

This squad has been awful for at least 12 months, few of the players who've previously been praised truely deserved it - most wouldn't have been worth a squad place during our previous spells in the Championship.

My concerns are:

Is PL good enough to change things around? The initial disappointment being there's not been a noticeable new manager bounce but then he's won as many games as GB did all season. I feel the management team have the experience we need but do have to prove this. Under GB this season we were heading for a 50 point total, 66 last season, under PL we are heading for 60. Even if PL had a full season based on results to date he'd only achieve 66 so there is plenty to both improve and prove if he's to be a success.

Second worry has to be can we shift the underachieving players or are we again stuck with a squad no one else wants?

Third how much money is there? I think we need upwards of £25-30m net of any sales. The question has to be how desperate was PL to take the job? Did he demand funds or was he prepared and confident enough to take the job on a relative shoestring?

Rhodes is the final worry. He's a shadow of himself and has always been something of a luxury for Rovers. People are talking about taking a £12m offer and "investing" in at least two strikers. I agree but very much doubt any club will offer £12m, perhaps £3-5m, as the chance to cash in has gone. His perceived value is irrelevant, it's what people will pay that counts.

Rovers have been awful for a long time, Bolton was no surprise and follows the pattern. The time to begin judging PL is towards the end of this season and again at perhaps 10 games in to next by when we need to be averaging around two points a game for promotion, Lambert is on 1.4 after seven matches.

One of the most pathetic sights yesterday was the players at the end of the game. Several were on the floor and others stood motionless with their hands on their hips undoubtedly feeling sorry for themselves. They looked like a bunch of losers as well as playing like one.

I really hope Lambert can jettison most of them and bring in players who at least look like they care and have some pride.

I subscribed to the Bein Sports channel specifically to watch this and any other televised matches here in Australia and I have to say I was truly shocked at the miserable pathetic performance put on by Rovers. Like everyone else I was expecting to see some semblance of the "attacking" football that Lambert promised he would bring to the club, what I saw looked like a very very bad impression of Sam Allardyce's tactics. Hoof ball at its very worst by a team lacking the necessary skills to beat the bottom of the league. Time and again they needlessly gave the ball away and couldn't string a few passes together unless they were going sideways or backwards and to me nothing is more infuriating than back passes to the keeper and in one instance it was passed back to him from the halfway line, total rubbish. As others have said they made Bolton look good simply because they were so totally inept, at least Bolton tried to play it on the ground at times. I had faint hopes that maybe just maybe Rovers could sneak into the play offs but after that performance I am convinced that is totally out of the question so better just prevent relegation and rebuild, but hell if hoof ball is going to be Lamberts tactics he's going to have to take the criticism that will surely follow. For the record I was thrilled with his appointment and do believe he should be given time, it's just that I hate the tactics he has employed instead of the exciting attacking football he promised, albeit with a weak underskilled team that he has at his disposal.

I don't think this is an overreaction.

I'll be the first to admit that a) Lambert needs time B) the players we have simply aren't good enough for promotion and c) we are brilliant at losing against struggling teams.

But...

• Bolton played 90 minutes 48 hours before - we should have been fresher given we had a day off
  • It's a local derby with 4,000 Rovers fans there - we should be motivated by this
  • Bolton are in complete turmoil and no confidence - we should be able to work this in our favour
  • Lambert has promised entertaining football - we have not seen this yet

Yesterday should have been much, much better and it wasn't. This is compounded by a poor performance at Reading and whilst we've picked up some important points since Lambert was appointed we've hardly started playing anything like a brand of football that will get fans on the edge of their seats, or more importantly out of their armchairs and back at Ewood.

I'm delighted we have Lambert, he's a proper manager, an improvement on Bowyer but yesterday was really poor and puts us in a tricky situation with Cardiff away to follow. No manager wants three defeats on the bounce.

I can only hope Lambert is as angry as I am about yesterday. They need a good telling off - something I don't think Bowyer could do. He was too matey / coachy. If the players don't want to be here they can go.

It is amazing what difference results make to this MB. A while ago I questioned the level of performance under PL and said the results couldn't continue if performances didn't improve. If I remember correctly I was lambasted and called a Bowyer lover etc etc.

Yesterday proved that every dog has its day in the Championship - and a few things like the penalty shout showed things wouldn't go our way. It was another unspectacular performance - but largely defensively sound. You can see the way he wants us to play - but to be honest we don't have the players (IMO Evans was a loss yesterday as Guthrie doesn't do enough off the ball). We have to give PL at least one transfer window (which will possibly see Rhodes leave) and then see where we are.

Rhodes has been subbed a lot under Lambert, can't really remember him ever being subbed under Bowyer, unless he got injured

Bowyer did sub him off quite a bit around the 75min mark and benched him for a spell (this time last year). It was when Conway wasn't playing as well and the total lack of link up play between Rhodes and Gestede was most obvious. I think the key is, Conway and Marshall's crossing, if they are good it covers the fact that Rhodes doesn't have an all - round game (same with Rudi) - but under Lambert the wingers seem to be 15 yards further back and only Olsson occasionally overlaps. Lack of fitness and confidence - maybe?

We need wholesale changes in this team. I wrongly thought there was just about enough quality to scrape the playoffs, there isn't. Definitely need a right back, definitely power and pace up front and out wide and if we are keeping Rhodes, someone to thread a ball through the crowd on the edge of the box. Personally, I think the time has come to move him on if the deal is right for us. We are going to have a lot of games like that in this league and the lad needs to put a shift in every match and bring others around him into the game just as much as those around him, need to give him chances. The most frustrating thing for me yesterday was the choices of the players. There were three or four excellent opportunities in or around the box where we chose to take 20 or even 30 yard pot - shots when a striker had peeled off. Also, the basic passing is getting on my nerves - they seem unable to put a ball in front of a man. It's always just behind him or under his feet when momentum is going forwards. I hope Lambert tears a strip off them today. Time for any losers to move on now because I want this club back where it belongs.

It is amazing what difference results make to this MB. A while ago I questioned the level of performance under PL and said the results couldn't continue if performances didn't improve. If I remember correctly I was lambasted and called a Bowyer lover etc etc.

Yesterday proved that every dog has its day in the Championship - and a few things like the penalty shout showed things wouldn't go our way. It was another unspectacular performance - but largely defensively sound. You can see the way he wants us to play - but to be honest we don't have the players (IMO Evans was a loss yesterday as Guthrie doesn't do enough off the ball). We have to give PL at least one transfer window (which will possibly see Rhodes leave) and then see where we are.

I really don't think the majority of fans care if we play total football or percentage football. It doesn't matter who the manager is, they all live or die by results. Lambert is no different and in many respects we have been scraping wins or draws in his first few games but at least he should be afforded the luxury of one or two transfer windows to build his own squad and bring in players who can fit into the system and style he wants to play. In my opinion most of the current squad can't do this.

I am expecting a busy month with movement in and out.

I don't think this is an overreaction.

I'll be the first to admit that a) Lambert needs time B) the players we have simply aren't good enough for promotion and c) we are brilliant at losing against struggling teams.

But...

• Bolton played 90 minutes 48 hours before - we should have been fresher given we had a day off
  • It's a local derby with 4,000 Rovers fans there - we should be motivated by this
  • Bolton are in complete turmoil and no confidence - we should be able to work this in our favour
  • Lambert has promised entertaining football - we have not seen this yet
Yesterday should have been much, much better and it wasn't. This is compounded by a poor performance at Reading and whilst we've picked up some important points since Lambert was appointed we've hardly started playing anything like a brand of football that will get fans on the edge of their seats, or more importantly out of their armchairs and back at Ewood.

I'm delighted we have Lambert, he's a proper manager, an improvement on Bowyer but yesterday was really poor and puts us in a tricky situation with Cardiff away to follow. No manager wants three defeats on the bounce.

I can only hope Lambert is as angry as I am about yesterday. They need a good telling off - something I don't think Bowyer could do. He was too matey / coachy. If the players don't want to be here they can go.

I don't agree with the first line but certainly do the next three points.

As regards Bolton I don't feel the extra rest helps, the players are unfit (yesterday looked very tired) and games are what they need.

Local derby? yes but for the majority of the team does it matter.

Travelling fans? Yes that should be a motivation though mostly the support felt a touch flat.

Bolton didn't seem to lack confidence but I can see the point. I haven't seen them for months so don't know if that's a one off.

PL certainly promised entertaining football and yes like you I want to be on the edge of my seat. The problem here is we do not have a single exciting player, not one, and I include Rhodes in this, who when on the ball makes you think now something will happen. The squad have been entirely predictable for a very long time. We have a few who give me confidence but that's it. This is going to be a long haul.

I've confidence in Lambert and think he will bring exciting football but I wonder if he underestimated the depth and extent of our problems before/ when he arrived.

One of the most pathetic sights yesterday was the players at the end of the game. Several were on the floor and others stood motionless with their hands on their hips undoubtedly feeling sorry for themselves. They looked like a bunch of losers as well as playing like one.

I really hope Lambert can jettison most of them and bring in players who at least look like they care and have some pride.

Nobody's touched on this yet but we haven't any real leaders on the pitch. 5 years ago we had plenty but Kean and Venkys shipped them out as trouble-makers and we are left with nondescripts.

Imagine not chasing back to cover or failing to make a tackle with Todd or Savage or Nelsen on the field, they would have had you by the throat.

If Lambert is able to rebuild I hope he brings us character.

PS Sorry Tomphil, somebody did mention this---you! Teach me to post without reading the thread!

We give Lambert "at least one transfer window". Are you frigging joking?

I can't believe you wrote that.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/28/bolton-wanderers-blackburn-rovers-championship-match-report

Lambert: I knew at the time the Middlesbrough game was off that it was going to have an adverse reaction to us because people have that mindset,” he said. “You’re better playing so everyone else is at the same level. I knew the Middlesbrough game being off was a dangerous thing for us – being fresh never really entered my brain.

I've felt, and have previously said, there are very few players worth keeping in the squad. What's surprising is suddenly, after one very, very poor performance, everyone feels the same. Hanley, Kilgallon, Duffy, Steele, Ollson, Henley are worth keeping. The rest can go. Rhodes we should keep if we are going to create a team in which he can perform.

Too generous by far. Despite being at fault for the Bolton goal the only two with the necessary qualities to play top half of this Division are Hanley and Duffy. Kilgallon is worth his place in the squad as cheap cover only. The rest really need replacing if we are to progress and I simply cannot understand what abilities you see in Adam Henley.

We need to keep hold of Olsson. Derby - one of the two best teams in the division, want him for a reason.

Keep Olsson, Hanley, Duffy, Kilgallon (if he wants to stay - imagine he doesn't as he's not playing), Conway and IF PL's going to play to his strengths, Rhodes. The rest can clear off and we'll be no worse off. IMO of course.

Too generous by far. Despite being at fault for the Bolton goal the only two with the necessary qualities to play top half of this Division are Hanley and Duffy. Kilgallon is worth his place in the squad as cheap cover only. The rest really need replacing if we are to progress and I simply cannot understand what abilities you see in Adam Henley.

Completely agree re Henley. He just hasn't kicked on pretty much from the youth team. The real problem is that too many of our players are League One or even League Two standard. Look at our bench yesterday. Lawrence aside (and the jury is still out for me on him) was as weak as p***. This rebuilding job will be huge if we are to challenge near the top of the Championship.

Marshall definitely needs dropping. May as well stick Mahoney there for the Cardiff match, at least he'll try and impress in order to get a regular squad place, Marshall just expects to be in the line up every week, and whilst he has previously shown that he can produce moments that can win you a game, when was the last time he did? He needs to get sorted out or he can head off for all I care

Archived