BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton V Rovers - 28/12/15

sambo

74f5db70a61e91ad92b1b7949fa65d17.png

After serving up a thrilling 0-0 draw earlier on in the season, Sky have again opted to put the Rovers-Bolton game on the television, much to the dismay of hungover football fans up and down the country.

As Rovers fans, we know the drill for Monday. An out of form, out of sorts Bolton, demoralised on and off the pitch, at the foot of the table on their worst run in donkeys years. Along come Rovers - tradition would dictate that we will be more than happy to oblige and give Bolton a much welcomed three points. It's been that way for years - teams on a wretched run of form always seem to turn it around against us. Let's hope that Monday's game is different!

Whilst we have been on relatively good form recently, the home team have been truly dire for much of the season. They had a spirited draw with Fulham last time out, but seem to struggle desperately for goals, and find it extremely difficult to turn draws (they've had 11 of them!) into wins. Given that their top scorer is Liam Feeney on 4 goals, you can see where their problems lie. Then again, Rhodes aside we are very similarly lacking in goalscoring threat! They have scored 4 in their last 2 games, so there has been some improvement, but still nothing to write home about.

Given that they haven't won since September, Bolton will be itching to get 3 points, and you'd sense that there is added impetus to do it against us. They seem to build up this fixture as a big derby game, even calling us Dingles (as well as the other pleasantries we direct at Burnley fans). Very odd.

Due to the busy Christmas schedule, I have posted this before the Middlesbrough game has taken place. With it being a big game, I didn't want to write a rushed preview after a few too many beers on Boxing Day, so I've posted it now - I hope this is okay mods!

Bolton - recent history

In recent times, Bolton have been on a very similar journey to us. Promoted together in 2001, we are two clubs who have long been characterised as 'punching above our weight' in the Premier League, with both clubs upsetting the applecart and enjoying some successful Premier League seasons, even qualifying for the UEFA Cup a number of times. Since being relegated together in 2012, it's fair to say that the two clubs have found the drop down a division to be a difficult one - neither team has looked like being promoted, with our Horwich neighbours on a rapid downhill trajectory.

Their recent struggles are well documented, with their difficult season further compounded by a transfer embargo being imposed on them yesterday. Not the Christmas gift they had in mind, one would imagine! Players haven't been paid, their manager's misdemeanors have been tabloid headlines and the club is in serious danger of going to the wall. To cap it off, they are at the foot of the Championship having won one game all season

b8e37427819392e6546df48f88bf2a7b.png

Ouch.

Given my negative experiences of going to Bolton, as well as their weird obsession with repeating our Burnley insults in our direction, it's difficult to feel too much sympathy for them. I don't want them to go bust, and hope they manager to get out of their current mess. However, I'm not too perturbed at the thought of their fans going through the wringer for a bit longer, and I certainly wouldn't be sad to see them making trips to Fleetwood next season!

Recent fixtures

The Macron Stadium has become somewhat o/f a bogey ground for us in recent years - here are the last 5 results there:

12th December 2010 - Bolton 2-1 Rovers

After a late Mame Biram Diouf equaliser, Bolton go straight up the other end and win the game with a belter from Stuart Holden. Days later, we sack Sam Allardyce and replace him with Steve Kean. That went well...

24th March 2012 - Bolton 2-1 Rovers

A truly awful performance which contributed to our eventual relegation. A game only memorable for the pre-match Muamba tributes. I seem to recall we let David Wheater score twice, which is unforgivable.

5th March 2013 - Bolton 1-0 Rovers

A late Eagles goal consigns us to defeat. To cap it off, he runs the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the Rovers fans.

1st March 2014 - Bolton 4-0 Rovers

Embarrassing. I invited my friend from university to this one - needless to say he hasn't been to a Rovers game since.

26th December 2014 - Bolton 2-1 Rovers

After we missed a hatful of chances, Gudjohnsen and Heskey (as per) roll back the years to win the game for Bolton.

HEAD TO HEAD

20e312b154ae5815befc90121fc4a77b.png

Overall, Bolton just about edge it on the head to head, but there's not much in it. Hopefully come 3pm on Monday afternoon the gap will be narrowed to 63-58.

Connections

There are quite a few players/managers who have represented both clubs - I'll name a few off the top of my head now, but I'm sure some of our older posters will have plenty more to add!

Sam Allardyce

Managed both clubs with distinction. Achieved remarkable success at Bolton, and did a fantastic job at Ewood. His last game was a defeat at Bolton, before he was unceremoniously potted by Venky's.

El Hadji-Diouf

A bit of a cult hero at both clubs, but probably had better days at Bolton. I'll never forget him diving for a penalty at Ewood.

Matt Jansen

My favourite ever Rovers player, who also had a brief spell at Bolton as he tried in vain to resurrect his career. Him returning with Bolton and being applauded around the ground was one of the most touching experiences I've seen at Ewood.

Kevin Davies

The less said about his spell at Rovers the better. However, he was brilliant for Bolton, and was one of the key players in the Allardyce reign.

Youri Djorkaeff

Did brilliantly under Big Sam - him playing alongside Ivan Campo and Jay-Jay Okocha must seem like a far cry from their current plight. His spell at Ewood was hit by injuries, but I have a faint recollection of him being brilliant in a 2-2 draw with Villa. Hazy memory of it now though.

Keith Andrews

The much maligned Keith Andrews also played for both clubs. Read somewhere that he got a £20k a week contract at Bolton at 31 - maybe explains their current financial situation! Imagine paying a 30 odd year old, past it player big wages! Given our not too distant history, we know all too well how that usually ends up!

Per Frandsen

There was a thread on here recently about him. His spell at Ewood was nothing to write home about, but he was revered at Bolton.

Liam Feeney

Was truly awful for us!

Prediction

Bolton seem to draw a lot of home games, so it will be far from easy. You'd also expect them to be scrapping for their lives, and it's hard to see past the obligatory Heskey goal (does he score against anyone else?)

Since Lambert's appointment, we look very solid defensively, but also seem to be lacking in cohesion attacking wise. Like when Hughes was appointed, it looks like he is slowly putting his stamp on the club, laying down foundations for the future. Because of that, I can see a cagey game with few chances for either team. I'll say 1-1, with Rhodes scoring for us. A draw won't do either side many favours, so I'd love to be wrong and for us to nick a win.

COYB!

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent review Sambo. Something will have to give in this game. We always go to Bolton with high hopes and plenty to gain, and lately have left deflated. On paper this is the game to turn that round, but as you state Rovers can be overly generous in these circumstances.

Despite Rovers performances, let's hope it's a Jingle Bells away day with a party atmosphere.

I would add Scott Sellars to the list of players to play for Rovers & Bolton with 200 + appearances for Rovers and 100+ for Bolton and a great player for both.

John Byrom, Mark Patterson and Colin Hendry played for both clubs, there's also another in fairly recent times whose name escapes me

John Byrom, Mark Patterson and Colin Hendry played for both clubs, there's also another in fairly recent times whose name escapes me

Neil Danns, Jay Spearing?

Think Spearing scored a corker in the 4-0!

There's plenty more - I thought rather than Google it I'd do the ones I know and everyone else could contribute others - seems there's plenty that escaped me!

No idea how I forgot Hendry though!

Probably be the annual defeat over there, form etc usually goes out the window for this one. It being Christmas time the manc overspill and Horwichers will be getting themselves more excited than usual for their big rivals. I can see the game being similar to the one at Ewood.

Wanderers 0 Rovers 0 with a more than respectable 3.5k ignoring the temptation to watch on TV and allowing ourselves to be ripped off by notlob yet again. Would be so so nice to put one over this lot again on their own turf for the first time in years.

I'm a little surprised we haven't sold out for this one but when you consider it's an extortionate £33, on tv, early ko suppose it's understandable.

As for the £33 whatever happened to our quid pro quo deal where both sets of fans get into each other's ground for £15. Not a fan of this new deal where we get in to the breezeblok for £33 they get into Ewood for £20-25. Next season id charge their fans massive amounts to shaft them like their club doing to us.

Rotherham 3-0 Bolton currently. Wow.

They're a shambles! I wouldn't be surprised to see Lennon resign after today's game, as I'm told by a Bolton fan, he was considering it the other week.

It's now 4 as I'm writing this... surely Lennon will resign now!

They're a shambles! I wouldn't be surprised to see Lennon resign after today's game, as I'm told by a Bolton fan, he was considering it the other week.

If shipping 4 at Rotherham doesn't do the job then nothing will!

Rotherham 3-0 Bolton currently. Wow.

Now 4-0. Sky reporter said the Bolton fans have turned on Lennon. Hopefully they will be venomous towards him on Monday, a kind of role reversal from four years ago when they beat us at Ewood and we were pilloried by them (and the media) when the Kean out stuff reached a crescendo.

Archived