SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton V Rovers - 28/12/15

sambo

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

People predicting an easy win need to remember we support Rovers.

A team on a wretched run that haven't won in ages- we usually oblige.

A team that we have only beaten once in our last five there, we won't win this easily, if indeed we win at all! We SHOULD win, but it's far from certain.

Thing is we've hardly torn any trees up so far this season and not long ago we weren't that far above them. PL's made us harder to beat so we shouldn't lose but I can't see us smashing them unless they really are that bad on the day.

• Backroom

If we want Lambert and the players to have ambition, we need to have it too. Accepting a draw as a likely or acceptable result is exactly the type of ethos that needs drilling out of every section of the club. Anything less than a win against a team who have only won a single game all season simply isn't good enough.

It doesn't need to be a thrashing. If it's a scabby 1-0 then so be it, but I'm expecting a win and will be bitterly disappointed with anything else.

interesting stat that Bolton have only lost 5 games at home since Lennon took over. this will not be an easy game to win.

random thought, just watching the Derby highlights vs Dingles 2001 and how we could do with a 'Hignett' in our side from midfield. That and some pace in our sides and we could be top 6 this season.

my ambitions are low this season, all I want to see is a Lambert side playing with a particular style, hopefully improved performances and some good signings in January. This would then set us up for a promotion bid for next year.

I was surprised to see how few games they have lost at the Moron Stadium under Lennon but for some context I recall a real resurgence last season when he got the job and he pretty much turned them round. This season they have drawn lots of home games. I saw them against Brentford a few weeks ago and they were miles behind them in the first half but we're spirited in the second half. If we are professional and approach the game in the correct manner we should win. And this is where Lamberts skills should come to the fore and make sure this happens.

I had us nailed on for relegation a month or two back. This is the same lot of players. I don't take anything for granted in any game. Our mentality is better than it was but it's still not great. Go behind and the wobbles set in. Lambert's falling between two stools regarding the fitness regime at the moment. He's trying to do a mini pre season in a really hectic time of the season.

You can feel the histrionics building already in preparation for us not winning this :blink:

If we lose today or, more importantly, don't play well, some of us will probably point out that we haven't played well since Lambert's arrival, and since the honeymoon bounce, our results have returned to Bowyer level.

That is not histrionics or wishing GB was back, just commentary on what is happening on the pitch.

We will probably win which will result in optimistic discussion of play-off hopes.

My view is that PL is a good long term appointment but we will not make any real progress until we learn to keep the ball, get our heads up in midfield, and make concerted attempts to play the ball into feet in the final third.

Our performances are no better than under GB, so today is the ideal time to start the momentum which will propel us inexorably towards 5th place.

I think we will overpower Bolton rather than play skilfully through them but I will live in hope that PL's 3 January signings will add the quality we need.

2 - 1 Rovers.

COYB

I can recall us playing quite well in Horwich on several occasions in the recent past under various gaffers and still not winning. All I've seen on facebook or heard from piggies I know is how sod it we have to get behind them in this one 'it's Blackburn/dingles/hillbillys' etc etc.

Form book often flies out the window here but whenever we've been struggling they've seemed to turn us over at Ewood so it would be nice to redress the balance a bit with a thumping victory. We never thump anyone anymore though so the nerves are ready for a shredding.

Same team that started against Reading:

ROVERS: Steele, Henley, Duffy, Hanley ©, Olsson, Conway, Guthrie, Akpan, Marshall, Koita, Rhodes.

Subs: Eastwood (GK), Spurr, Kilgallon, Delfouneso, Lawrence, Williamson, Taylor.

Would have liked to have seen Lawrence starting. Not sure what he's done wrong to be honest, unless PL is just phasing him out as Leicester are set to recall him? Even if he prefers to play with a target man in Koita, then he should be starting ahead of Marshall who has been pathetic in recent weeks. Lawrence aside that bench has to be one of the worst in the league. Roll on Jan 1st.

If we get our noses in front I can see us seeing it out, but equally if they get the first then it will be a long afternoon. First goal so crucial when we're lacking goals but defending well.

Boro game being off has done us a favour really with the small squad. We dont have to rotate to much like most others are doing. Hopefully we try and play a high line and let the full backs get forward and attack these men

I can recall us playing quite well in Horwich on several occasions in the recent past under various gaffers and still not winning. All I've seen on facebook or heard from piggies I know is how sod it we have to get behind them in this one 'it's Blackburn/dingles/hillbillys' etc etc.

I worked in M/cr for a few years and Manunians often referred to Boltonians as 'inbreds'. Twotters get a bit upset when this is pointed out.

A dour 0-0 today I reckon.

Archived