BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

So that's it then, before Rhodes left I would have said it was a fairly neutral window, not at all bothered about the players who have left (Olsson, Lawrence etc) but not impressed with the signings that have come in either. Rhodes leaving makes it a poor window imo tempered only by the arrival of Gomez who may be a decent signing.

If Gary Bowyer had have just had this window I reckon people would be in uproar. Paul Lambert does it and it's being hailed as a massive success. To be fair to PL he has tried to put a speedboat in the stagnant pond and shake it up a bit. He's made a massive call on Rhodes and time will tell if he got it right.

Gary had loads of windows and they got progressively worse.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a few players who are better than Brown or Williamson come in and the squad is weaker? OK then. Sure we lost Rhodes, but he's missed an unusual number of chances this season and wanted to leave.

To compare our situation before the window to 20/20 cricket, it was like having a misfiring Chris Gayle playing in a team with 7 Jade Dernbachs.

Mate is a die hard Wiganer. On Gomez he said... "absolutely class, my favourite ever Wigan player, not one for the 'thickos' but a proper footballer for the purists but dont expect much running. I expect he'll be the sort of player Hoolahan was for him at Norwich".

The squad is stronger now in as much as the ones brought in are most definitely better than the ones brought in over the recent windows. The goals column has taken a massive blow though so it remains to be seen how it all pans out. Couldn't be a worse game to try and bed them in though than Boro away.

Pull a result off up there and we could go on a roll, lose badly and well......

Think even Shearer went a few games without scoring in 93-94 (not at the very start in the final stages of his injury recovery)

I'm sure Shearer went 10 games without scoring. Just before we thrashed someone I think.

Some nice comments about Gomez from Sunderland fans on the Rovers instagram post announcing the signing. Saying he will be a good signing for us amd that theyvare disappointed he's leaving. One saying he was the only player they had who didnt think it was a hot potato amd could actually look after the ball.

Like I said, top signing for us that, very important one too. Those who were crying out for a decent creative centre mid should be chufffed tonight.

Some nice comments about Gomez from Sunderland fans on the Rovers instagram post announcing the signing. Saying he will be a good signing for us amd that theyvare disappointed he's leaving. One saying he was the only player they had who didnt think it was a hot potato amd could actually look after the ball.

Like I said, top signing for us that, very important one too. Those who were crying out for a decent creative centre mid should be chufffed tonight.

Shame we are so far off the pace, could be that Berkovic-esque signing many of us wanted to kick us on.

Looking forward to seeing Watt, Ward and Gomez but wish we could have brought in a proven goal scorer to really lift the club after years of disappointment. Fingers crossed Graham can kickstart his scoring again and be that player.

Need to replace Olsson in loan window.

Bristol City have offer for Bradley Dack turned down... Do they just read BRFCC posts and bid on every lower league player we mention? Chuffed they've failed to get Bradshaw and Dack, would like at l one of them in the summer, both would be great... Easily be good at this level.

Yeah I've been banging on about him. Could be a cute signing and always looked decent at premier league level to me.

Apparently 4 chamoionship clubs inquired about a loan deal, recon we were one of them but apparently only wanted a sale. Perhaps they might reconsider in the loan window.

Can someone turn Jim White off now, he's giving me tooth ache.

Why the @#/? have they wasted hours and hours talking about Berhinho when theyve known all day he was staying? So annoying.

So we're relying on loans to come in and keep us up this season. That's either very brave or very stupid.

I said early doors that we wouldn't be spending money in January regardless of how much we brought in.

I don't believe we'll see much of the Rhodes money come the summer. Anyone know what happened to the Gestede/Cairney/King/Nzonzi money from last summer? That's right. It went into a big black hole and now 5 months on its consigned to history. I've no doubt a similar thing will happen in May and June.

Lambert might get a million or two at most to rebuild and get his 'big hitters'. That's assuming he keeps us up this season which given our recent form and performances is going to be a tough ask.

You won't get anywhere these days doing things on the cheap or relying on loan signings. Nobody has in this league for a long time.

I'm going to place my faith in Lambert but I'm very concerned and uncomfortable with once again cashing in on our prized assets and replacing them with journeymen/cheapies.

We did it last summer by losing Gestede, Cairney and King and replacing with jokers like Delfouneso, Petschi and Koita and I pray we've not just done the same in swapping Rhodes and Olsson for Jackson and Bennett

So we're relying on loans to come in and keep us up this season. That's either very brave or very stupid.

Or very sensible given the circumstances. Players with something to play for and something to prove, who have proven themselves at this level before mostly... I'd say thats sensible. No money wasted for the next window either, difficult to find a downside to it all really. Yes there are going to be many games were we struggle without Rhodes finishing but looking on the bright side this might be the start of a brand new era of more exciting football. Again, on the bright side... We're pretty solid at the back unlike previous seasons and with Gomez in and a little bit more invention and pace in the team we might be able to control games a little more.

Archived