BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

Awful window really, lost only goal threat and not improved the team, Lambert has really messed up in this window in my opinion, rovers are going to be in a long hard battle against relegation, the summer might be too late

The general consensus was that we needed 5 or 6 players , we got 6. Its an overhaul and its needed.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summer...as Lambert has said repeatedly from the start of the window.

Summer might not come, how do we know venkys plans with the money? How do we know they won't bail? How do we know we wwon't be a league level lower? Lets not put all our eggs in one basket for the summer, a couple of quality additions could even have catapolted us up the league to play off contention this season, a long shot i know. Pinning all our hopes on the future with this lot is folly, we should all know that by now.

Funny people questioning this window.

We needed pace - brought in Jackson and Bennett

We needed a striker up front to hold the ball up - Graham

We needed a no 10 striker - Watt

We needed cover at centre half - Ward

We needed creativity in midfield - Gomez

We lost Rhodes - hardly pulling up trees under Lambert - obviously not suited to his style of play

We lost Olsson - £1m for a player many would have given away 1.5 seasons ago, and with only 6 months on his contract. This is probably the only area we haven't moved forward on.

Playing devils advocate:

Bennett - very poor so far, certainly hasn't electric pace

Jackson - quick - but hardly set the world alight at Barnsley

(We've also lost Lawrence and Olsson who were the only 2 others with a bit of pace)

Not convinced that Graham is going to be much better at holding up the ball than Rhodes - though he will close down more.

We signed Watt and Lambert was still looking for a 'number 10'

Gomez - definite improvement

Ward - seems a solid enough signing.

Fully behind PL but would like to see some real quality arrive in summer,

No im hoping to god Watt turns out the next hero but i just think Lambert could have kept Rhodes and built a team around him....but decided to be an arse with his comments yesterday...

Er JR wanted out

What happend to Lambert saying he was going to build his team around Rhodes when he first came...what a load of crap only reason he cudnt was because of his boring tactics BUT im still behind PL and hope this is the start of a new era

Not seen that actual statement, has anyone else ?

Losing Rhodes is obviously a blow , but the squad we have right now should comfortably finish mid table , the goals will come and they will be shared out more evenly , funnily enough I don't expect a busy loan window , I think we'll bring in just 1player , a full back, and summer time will mainly be converting these loan signings into permanent ones

No im hoping to god Watt turns out the next hero but i just think Lambert could have kept Rhodes and built a team around him....but decided to be an arse with his comments yesterday...

There must be some reason Lambert wanted him out but we will never know

I reckon Watt's going to be our new hero. He looks a class act and he's only 22. I haven't seen a Rovers forward control a ball and then run at defenders in years!

Err because the managers we have had tactics have been taking us one way down...wouldnt you want to leave if Derek and co are tryng to flog you off every window

Make your mind up, is it shelfy, GB or PL who has fooked up

This is a major gamble.

Sold top scorer and a tough tough run of games whilst we are hovering above relegation zone.

Big pressure on Watt and Graham to deliver goods now.

Gomez a good signing for this division and will add some much needed creativity.

However this is all about if we have the fire power to get enough points on the board.

All these signings would of cost money, loan fees, signing on fees and wages. People expecting huge warchest in summer may just be disappointed.

If we can stay in Championship then Lambert can rebuild in summer, if we get dragged into relegation fight it could be curtains.

I believe what he has brought in , is better than what we brought in last summer, but is it enough when you sell your proven goal threat?

So that's it then, before Rhodes left I would have said it was a fairly neutral window, not at all bothered about the players who have left (Olsson, Lawrence etc) but not impressed with the signings that have come in either. Rhodes leaving makes it a poor window imo tempered only by the arrival of Gomez who may be a decent signing.

If Gary Bowyer had have just had this window I reckon people would be in uproar. Paul Lambert does it and it's being hailed as a massive success. To be fair to PL he has tried to put a speedboat in the stagnant pond and shake it up a bit. He's made a massive call on Rhodes and time will tell if he got it right.

Archived