BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

Rhodes, Olsson, Koita, Petshi. Over £70k a week saved and we've brought in near £12mill transfer fees.

Brought in Bennett, Jackson and Ward permanently to bolster a small squad. Won't be costing £30k a week. So the loans of Graham, Watt and Gomez... Could only speculate how much we are paying but I doubt it's that much. Either way, we've made a damn tidy profit.

Forgive me for being nervous about whether this money will actually go into strengthening the team this summer, just the Cairney/Gestede money has yet to surface...

EDIT: extra word deleted

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly closer to 10k but yes.

Bennett was on 10k a week at Norwich.

Ward was on 8k a week at Bournemouth

Jackson will be on nothing - 3k maybe.

As a rough guess then, the merry-go-round of Olsson/Koita/Lawrence/Petshi out and Bennett/Ward/Jackson/Graham in were funded without Rhodes, with the rest (at least partially) coming from that deal.

Koita and Petshi would have been on peanuts. They probably wouldn't even cover Jackson and Bennett, let alone Premier League loans.

Peanuts? I think the minimum wage is peanuts, those two were probably picking up the annual minimum wage every week.

Rhodes, Olsson, Koita, Petshi. Over £70k saved a week saved and we've brought in near £12mill transfer fees.

Brought in Bennett, Jackson and Ward permanently to bolster a small squad. Won't be costing £30k a week. So the loans of Graham, Watt and Gomez... Could only speculate how much we are paying but I doubt it's that much. Either way, we've made a damn tidy profit.

Forgive me for being nervous about whether this money will actually go into strengthening the team this summer, just the Cairney/Gestede money has yet to surface...

The Cairney and Gestede money went towards rducing our losses, it was never going to "surface".

Those two are the main reason we are out of the FFP embargo.

Rhodes, Olsson, Koita, Petshi. Over £70k saved a week saved and we've brought in near £12mill transfer fees.

I think you'd be surprised with the amount Graham, Watt and Gomez are on. £70k won't be far off. Two had been in the Premier League for a long time (Graham was said to be on £35k) and Watt had other admirers.

Peanuts? I think the minimum wage is peanuts, those two were probably picking up the annual minimum wage every week.

Relative to bringing in PL loans I mean. The obscenity of footballers' wages is another discussion!

The Cairney and Gestede money went towards rducing our losses, it was never going to "surface".

Those two are the main reason we are out of the FFP embargo.

The money was undoubtedly used in our accounts to offset earlier losses, but surely that doesn't prevent it being reinvested down the line once FUP rules are relaxed? Where did the money go? It either went into Rovers accounts or Venkys accounts and apart from ongoing running costs (which Venkys had/have been covering with their own money) it must still be around somewhere?

The money was undoubtedly used in our accounts to offset earlier losses, but surely that doesn't prevent it being reinvested down the line once FUP rules are relaxed? Where did the money go? It either went into Rovers accounts or Venkys accounts and apart from ongoing running costs (which Venkys had/have been covering with their own money) it must still be around somewhere?

Weren't we were said to be losing an horrific amount of money each month? £2 million or something? Unfortunately, most of that will have gone to servicing debts, as well as paying off the likes of Leon Best to get out of the club.

Worried the money won't be reinvested.

I don't buy into this summer rebuild. We need to spend £10mill plus in summer if we want any chance of even competing for play-offs. That isn't going to happen. Expecting a couple mill spent and we'll have to be content with competing with the likes of Charlton. No chance we'll be fighting for promotion any year soon.

Lambert would have asked for money to be spend before he would have took the job.

We have got a proven manager who was promotion here. He isnt happy being a mid table championship manager. He wants promotion.

Him and his staff will know that we need at least 9 or 10 quality signings to get us promotion. Thats the aim for next season.

Looking forward to an interesting summer with alot on incomings and outgoings at the club.

Shame we couldn't have chucked McGeady a few extra quid then like Sheff Weds did?

We probably ran out of time really, maybe if Rhodes had accepted Boro's terms earlier we could have offered him some sweeteners, but we couldn't guarantee such sweeteners til Rhodes was out the exit door.

Just a hunch really, but Sheff Wed certainly have some financial muscle behind them.

Lambert would have asked for money to be spend before he would have took the job.

We have got a proven manager who was promotion here. He isnt happy being a mid table championship manager. He wants promotion.

Him and his staff will know that we need at least 9 or 10 quality signings to get us promotion. Thats the aim for next season.

Looking forward to an interesting summer with alot on incomings and outgoings at the club.

We need A LOT of investment. I am talking £10mill+. Will it happen? I guess time will tell but I'm not counting my chickens before they've hatched...

We probably ran out of time really, maybe if Rhodes had accepted Boro's terms earlier we could have offered him some sweeteners, but we couldn't guarantee such sweeteners til Rhodes was out the exit door.

Just a hunch really, but Sheff Wed certainly have some financial muscle behind them.

Sheffield Wednesday are deemed a bigger and more attractive proposition than Blackburn Rovers at the moment. It hurts, but that's the way it is unfortunately.

I think you'd be surprised with the amount Graham, Watt and Gomez are on. £70k won't be far off. Two had been in the Premier League for a long time (Graham was said to be on £35k) and Watt had other admirers.
Relative to bringing in PL loans I mean. The obscenity of footballers' wages is another discussion!

If we are paying Gomez's and Graham's full wages then that's a joke.

If we are paying Gomez's and Graham's full wages then that's a joke.

Unlikely to be full, but certainly no less than half. Graham started in Sunderland's last game before coming here, so it's not like they were desperate to get rid.

I couldn't say, I'm not privy to the books. However I would imagine once £7 million has been committed to your books the last thing you can do is pull it back out. Wouldn't that just nullify the attempt at getting back out of the embargo. I don't know, I don't pretend to either. I do accept that it got us out of the embargo, and as such we probably have no right to expect to see it "invested" in the team. The money from JR however is a different story for me, and I hope to see some decent signings in the summer.

All that is true but he'll have to deliver it on a small budget. I think we'll be following the Ipswich model rather than the Boro/Derby one. Doesn't mean it can't be done though but there'll be no big spending splurge in summer I don't think. Lambert will probably be aware of this but if he gets a 3 to 5 million budget it would be a start.

I think there's a lot to be said about having a small and together squad of players, there's surely going to be a better attitude in the camp now. Some added quality in the central areas of the pitch which before the window was severely lacking, on paper we should be a decent side.

He will have asked for the money, but that doens't mean things can't change. Seen it plenty of times where a manager has the rug swept up from under their feet regarding finances.

HOWEVER - the fact that Lambert has convinced Venkys to part with Rhodes tells me he likely will get money to spend. How much he spends is beyond us all at this stage. I've seen some people say we need to be spending at least 10 million to sort this squad out, we'll have to wait and see on that. I do feel that we will see a heck of a lot of changes come the summer, lets just hope we are still in the championship when that time comes because that's what it is all about from now until May.

Certainly wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 loans are brought in when the loan window opens. A left back and a pacey wide man would be good. Either that or we bring in a right back to allow Marshall further up the pitch.

He will have asked for the money, but that doens't mean things can't change. Seen it plenty of times where a manager has the rug swept up from under their feet regarding finances.

HOWEVER - the fact that Lambert has convinced Venkys to part with Rhodes tells me he likely will get money to spend. How much he spends is beyond us all at this stage. I've seen some people say we need to be spending at least 10 million to sort this squad out, we'll have to wait and see on that. I do feel that we will see a heck of a lot of changes come the summer, lets just hope we are still in the championship when that time comes because that's what it is all about from now until May.

Certainly wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 loans are brought in when the loan window opens. A left back and a pacey wide man would be good. Either that or we bring in a right back to allow Marshall further up the pitch.

Can't see Lambert not playing Bennett - thats his man. Think we'll bring in a back up RB and Marshall is the long term RB.

Koita and Petshi would have been on peanuts. They probably wouldn't even cover Jackson and Bennett, let alone Premier League loans.

According to LT Koita on £10,000 per week. That is absolutely ridiculous and certainly not peanuts - Brum's manager on record as saying he wished he was in a position to pay £10,000 a week. Understand Petshi was not too far behind Koita either !

I think Lambert has done well.

Too many Rovers' fans over obsessed with Rhodes. I know when we signed him and he scored some early goals, some fans were salivating describing him as 'Sheareresque'. I said at the time, he was a million miles away from the great man who was the complete package including a leader who motivated other players and banged heads together where it was necessary. I do not think we will miss Rhodes. IMV, we've done bloody well to get what we have for him. PL clubs will have known about his availability but no takers - says it all.

Money in, deadwood out and some decent signings with points to prove. Jury out on Bennett though.

I really hope CM will be addressed in summer. Depends what happens with Gomez as to whether he's our new passmaster. Still too powderpuff down the middle in my eyes. Akpan, Evans, Williamson, Guthrie, Gomez, Lowe. None of them have a tackle in them really and a major clearout is necessary. Need a Savage or a Jermaine Jones in there alongside a ballplayer.

I'm pleased with the window, and have some excitement over what might be possible in summer with no embargo and some cash to spend by a proper manager.

I think there was too much of an attitude of seeing draws/defeats as acceptable as long as Rhodes scored (possibly stemming from Bowyer)

As the talisman of the team JR was never a leader or someone you could see getting everyone else motivated to win games. We've been far too soft over the last few years.

According to LT Koita on £10,000 per week. That is absolutely ridiculous and certainly not peanuts - Brum's manager on record as saying he wished he was in a position to pay £10,000 a week. Understand Petshi was not too far behind Koita either !

I think Lambert has done well.

Too many Rovers' fans over obsessed with Rhodes. I know when we signed him and he scored some early goals, some fans were salivating describing him as 'Sheareresque'. I said at the time, he was a million miles away from the great man who was the complete package including a leader who motivated other players and banged heads together where it was necessary. I do not think we will miss Rhodes. IMV, we've done bloody well to get what we have for him. PL clubs will have known about his availability but no takers - says it all.

Money in, deadwood out and some decent signings with points to prove. Jury out on Bennett though.

I think in terms of style of play, posession, chance creation etc we will be better off without Rhodes. However actually sticking the ball in the net is not that easy even if you create the opportunities. I really hope they can step up

Id like to see how Watt, Graham and Jackson do over a few months before saying whether Rhodes leaving was a good idea.

I think in terms of style of play, posession, chance creation etc we will be better off without Rhodes. However actually sticking the ball in the net is not that easy even if you create the opportunities. I really hope they can step up

Id like to see how Watt, Graham and Jackson do over a few months before saying whether Rhodes leaving was a good idea.

Looks like it's one or the other. The best of both worlds doesn't appear to be an option.

I couldn't say, I'm not privy to the books. However I would imagine once £7 million has been committed to your books the last thing you can do is pull it back out. Wouldn't that just nullify the attempt at getting back out of the embargo. I don't know, I don't pretend to either. I do accept that it got us out of the embargo, and as such we probably have no right to expect to see it "invested" in the team. The money from JR however is a different story for me, and I hope to see some decent signings in the summer.

I'm not a financial expert. Far from it. I think the point I'm trying to get at is this:

We were led to believe that the sales of Gestede and Cairney were done because the club had no option. The manager didn't want to lose them but it was taken out of his hands. In the case of Gestede because he was angling for a Premier League move and wanted to leave and in the case of Cairney because the money was too good to turn down with FUP rules in mind. Also the example of Josh King, who was offered a new contract in an attempt to keep him, yet he wanted to leave and so the club was paid.

Those three players brought in a combined amount of somewhere around £10 million in fees, and on top of that we had the unexpected windfall of Steven NZonzi being sold by Stoke to Sevilla for £8 million of which we were entitled to a share.

None of that money we received the club could say they set out or expected to get, and presumably the owners would have had to use other funds had those moves not taken place. They obviously tried to keep King, the NZonzi money was unaccounted for and relied on other clubs, the Gestede move had been in the pipeline since January but they couldn't have known for sure that he was going to go, and likewise not many clubs would have come in with £3 million for Tom Cairney and that move seemed to take everyone by complete surprise.

So all that money went into the club's accounts and no doubt was the major factor behind us being able to escape the embargo in December.

Yet if we believe what we are told that money wasn't brought in because Venkys intervened and forced the club to sell players. That could I suppose apply to Cairney, but Gestede, King and NZonzi could well never have happened had circumstances at the time not been as they were. King could have signed up for another year, Gestede might not have had bidders from the Premier League (probably won't do again after Villa) and Stoke might have kept hold of NZonzi.

So in a way that money was an unexpected bonus of several million pounds which going into the summer the club and Venkys had no way of knowing for sure they would get.

If Venkys were therefore really serious about promotion they could have used that 'extra' £10 million to meet running costs etc whilst we were under the watchful gaze of FUP rules, and then the moment the rules are relaxed they could stump up £10 million from their own pockets to cover the money that the club received for players which went into running costs.

I'm not really making myself very clear but the crux of it is that the club has received a £10 million 'bonus' by selling those players. We couldn't spend any of it last summer due to FUP embargo, but I'm sure if they really wanted to they could reinvest that same amount now they are free from the constraints.

Allowing the manager do what he wants to do is a good idea. The stuff we've been putting on the park for a long time now has been only taking us in one direction - downwards. You can't ask a manager to play a quick, attacking game while complaining that he's selling the slowest, technically most ordinary striker for £9m. Yes he scores goals, but trying to stem the decline by bringing in bang average players around him doesn't work, - nor does it look like working.

Allowing the manager do what he wants to do is a good idea. The stuff we've been putting on the park for a long time now has been only taking us in one direction - downwards. You can't ask a manager to play a quick, attacking game while complaining that he's selling the slowest, technically most ordinary striker for £9m. Yes he scores goals, but trying to stem the decline by bringing in bang average players around him doesn't work, - nor does it look like working.

So the answer is to replace him with strikers who cant score and bring in more bang average players around them?

Archived