BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the Burnley game and the Derby game. Jordon Rhodes was far more profligate than Lawrence. Both have done little since but JR started almost every game since and that shows his flaws. He needs more chances to score than Andrew Cole ever did. Getting silly money for him was like winning a lottery.

I was at the Burnley game and the Derby game. Jordon Rhodes was far more profligate than Lawrence. Both have done little since but JR started almost every game since and that shows his flaws. He needs more chances to score than Andrew Cole ever did. Getting silly money for him was like winning a lottery.

My main complaint about Rhodes wasn't just his work-rate or poor overall game but the fact his chance/goal conversion rate was so poor. I lost count of the number of chances he missed and although some would say it needs talent to get in those positions to score he wasn't the clinical finisher he's made out to be. Funnily enough, reading the Boro forums they came to the same conclusion before he signed.

My main complaint about Rhodes wasn't just his work-rate or poor overall game but the fact his chance/goal conversion rate was so poor. I lost count of the number of chances he missed and although some would say it needs talent to get in those positions to score he wasn't the clinical finisher he's made out to be. Funnily enough, reading the Boro forums they came to the same conclusion before he signed.

How is the topic ever going to drop if you keep posting nonsense like this? The number of goals he has scored is phenomenal and to suggest he should have scored even more is churlish. Certainly not (yet another) stick to beat him with. Rhodes has probably had the worst half season of his career, yet he's 1 and 2 respectively behind Blackman and Judge who are having their best ever. That's ignoring his previous exploits including being the top goalscorer in the country a year back. No, his scoring exploits really aren't in question here. Now, Chris Brown is a striker to complain about, yet for some reason because he's built like door and runs about a bit sticking his chest out, it's ok.

Thing is "Jim" (since that's only a nom-de-plume for you - and you are pretty anonymous really) I think you have similar views to me on Rhodes but you are letting your emotions get in the way because of how much you seem to dislike me and want to put me down. Shame really because when you stick to what you are good at you can be a good read.

Your problem is "Stuart", you won't have anything said against your poster boy and you always want the final word. The previous post was a reply to another member and didn't need another comeback from you. It isn't "nonsense" either - it's the evidence in front of me. Rhodes has a very good goalcoring record but it could have been even better if he'd accepted most of his chances.

Chris Brown would have scored it. Or is that going too far?

Yes, the sooner we get rid of players like him the better.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/paul-lambert-blackburn-rovers-middlesbrough-2943632.aspx

By the sounds of this Lamberti s going to be looking in the loan window.

I looked at his comments. Why do you think that ?

Your problem is "Stuart", you won't have anything said against your poster boy and you always want the final word. The previous post was a reply to another member and didn't need another comeback from you.

Two words: public forum.

Stuart is my real name, by the way, so no need for quotation marks. What's yours?

How is the topic ever going to drop if you keep posting nonsense like this?

Or if you insist on replying to every post that is critical of JR.

Please let's not have another 5 pages of a circular JR argument, it's very tedious.

I thought the performances of Graham and Watt yesterday perfectly illustrated the type of front man that Lambert wants. Both have the ability to work the channels and the ball sticks with both when it is played up to then. Graham was excellent yesterday in holding the ball and then bringing the midfield into play and it was no coincidence that our midfield men found themselves in and around the penalty area far more yesterday than I can remember in a long time. Lambert is introducing a different style of play and clearly he didn't think Rhodes suited the role he wanted his front men to play. Rather than have him sitting on the bench as a fringe player it surely made more sense to part company and collect a decent fee that will enable the rebuilding to continue in the summer.

I thought the performances of Graham and Watt yesterday perfectly illustrated the type of front man that Lambert wants. Both have the ability to work the channels and the ball sticks with both when it is played up to then. Graham was excellent yesterday in holding the ball and then bringing the midfield into play and it was no coincidence that our midfield men found themselves in and around the penalty area far more yesterday than I can remember in a long time. Lambert is introducing a different style of play and clearly he didn't think Rhodes suited the role he wanted his front men to play. Rather than have him sitting on the bench as a fringe player it surely made more sense to part company and collect a decent fee that will enable the rebuilding to continue in the summer.

I can fully understand this. Perhaps Boro can afford the luxury. We certainly can't.

I just hope that Lambert is given the money to spend. I trust his judgement.

Think you are being a bit harsh - after all he scores when he wants - so those he missed he obviously didn't want to score.

Seriously - his goals to chances ratio has declined during his time at Rovers. His first season was unbelievable scoring a very high % of chances - but this seemed to decline as time went on - possibly defenders learnt how to handle him - to say he is 6ft+ he was easily knocked off the ball and similarly put off headers etc.

• Backroom

Think you are being a bit harsh - after all he scores when he wants - so those he missed he obviously didn't want to score.

Seriously - his goals to chances ratio has declined during his time at Rovers. His first season was unbelievable scoring a very high % of chances - but this seemed to decline as time went on - possibly defenders learnt how to handle him - to say he is 6ft+ he was easily knocked off the ball and similarly put off headers etc.

I'd say his decline was down to two things - Gestede's arrival, which meant somebody else was chipping in with goals, and the decline in overall quality across the team as time went on. I think it's interesting that Lambert has dropped Conway recently - perhaps he thinks Conway's assist rate is mainly down to Rhodes predatory instincts and with strikers less capable of finishing chances Conway isn't as much use as we all thought?

Or maybe he just thinks Conway slows down play too much, which would certainly be a fair call.

Archived