BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't imagine Jones's wage demands will be quite as high as they were five years ago. However, he would probably be our highest earner if we managed to bring him in.

If he could recapture a glimmer of the form he showed here, he'd be head and shoulders above anything we've got.

It took a while for Jones to find form when he was here 5 years ago, I remember his first 3 or so game he was really off the pace. Pretty sure he got booked in all 3. My worry would be the length of time it may take him to adjust to this league and the fact he is 5 years older and may have lost some of that zip. We could end up paying him a lot of money and not see any benefit until late March, if at all. We've got a really congested fixture list over the next 6 weeks and need someone who can come in and have an impact immediately IMO.

I don't want us to bring in any more expensive players on short term deals at this stage of the season. Any money we shell out reduces the pot for next season, and therefore affects our promotion chances.

If it's players like Watt with a view to a permanent switch, go for it. I think we've got enough to survive this season otherwise.

I would think that a deal for Jones would be good as long as it was a short loan with a view to permanent. He may be older but where the legs lack, the brain and ability take over. He would find that he didnt need to do as much leg work adn would be a fantastic foil and teacher for Lenighan.

personally I thought Jones's biggest assets where his power and stamina, I am not saying they have, but if his legs have gone, then so have his best assets. (Similar to Colin Bell, for the oldies)

In terms of his fitness and ability to play in this division at the age of 34/35 - I'll leave that in the hands of Lambert and Irvine to judge. I don't really know what he's been up to recently but there's no reason why he couldn't come and do a job for 18 months until he's 36.

In terms of his wages, well at present he's a free agent and earning £0 a week. So he's in no position to command huge wages as he was a few years ago when contracted to Schalke. If Rovers want him they should make him an offer within our budget and give him a take it or leave it ultimatum.

Besides, we should now have the biggest budget in the league having sold all our valuable players over the last 6 months and spent nothing in return. So I expect us to be spending and competing with everyone else if we have serious promotion intentions.

Besides, we should now have the biggest budget in the league

Seriously? You'll have to alter that opinion before the summer if you don't want to end up angry and frustrated! :)

We wasted an absolute fortune on the likes of Danny Murphy, Leon Best, Dickson Etuhu etc. Weren't we losing £2 million a month at one stage? We were under transfer embargo until a couple of months ago.

We can't suddenly go from that financial mess to having the biggest budget. You only have to look at Bolton to see what happens if you continuously spend above your means. We won't have parachute payments to prop us up any longer, either.

We need to be careful here as agents now assume we have money burning a hole and Venkys still in charge, they smell easy big contracts for players no one else will touch unless they're on peanuts.

No point really signing Jones, if we were on the verge of breaking into the play offs or in the top 6 then yes fair enough. Waste of money now.

He's been playing in America for the last 18 months, that's another concern for me.

I think Lambert could motivate him. I guess it depends if his body could hold up to the rigours of Lambert-levels of fitness. He looked good in the PL so you would hope he could work well in the Championship.

Would love to see JJ back.

No point really signing Jones, if we were on the verge of breaking into the play offs or in the top 6 then yes fair enough. Waste of money now.

This is a good point. What is our motivation at this point? Barring a miracle you'd have to say that it's about building a team to at least make the play-offs next season. The only reason for a loan at this stage would be to enable Lambert to deploy a style of play that he wants from his team. Those who are staying would then be up to speed and it would make it easier to assimilate new players into that system. Either by making loans permanent, or replacing those loans with similar players.

If he was a free agent coming to earn a contract with a view to next season and he would fit in our wage budget then yes it's a no brainer I suppose. He was on 90k pwk previously and the MSL are huge payers as well I think so I wouldn't gamble any big doh on it just to see out the season in midtable.

A 12 month loan on 15 grand a week would be nice though :)

Note Jones was on about $59k/£40K per week for the New England Revolution last year: https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/July%2015,%202015%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

(If only we could have lists like this for European football so we can eliminate all the guesswork that goes on about salaries...)

I suspect Lambert will want to see how Akpan, Evans, Lenihan, and Guthrie fit for the rest of the year and going forward, and is happy with just adding Gomez.

Seriously? You'll have to alter that opinion before the summer if you don't want to end up angry and frustrated! :)

We wasted an absolute fortune on the likes of Danny Murphy, Leon Best, Dickson Etuhu etc. Weren't we losing £2 million a month at one stage? We were under transfer embargo until a couple of months ago.

We can't suddenly go from that financial mess to having the biggest budget. You only have to look at Bolton to see what happens if you continuously spend above your means. We won't have parachute payments to prop us up any longer, either.

Sheffield Wednesday don't have parachute money to prop them up and until recently were a debt ridden loss making club. All of a sudden it's commonly accepted that they are awash with money and can go out and sign top class players. I don't see why they should be allowed to spend because of their rich owner and we can't.

The millstones that dragged this club down have now gone. The fortunes wasted on clowns like Murphy, Best and Etuhu have gone. Venkys, to their credit, honoured those ludicrous contracts and paid for their mistakes by coughing up severance payments to get those wasters off the books and out of the clubs accounts. Their wages hindered this club for the last 3 years and prevented us from spending then. Now its a different story.

The departure of Jordan Rhodes, combined with summer departures of Leon Best and Paul Robinson, now brings our wage bill down another huge notch (about £100,000 a week or more). Come the summer time we have another 10 players out of contract, along with 3-4 loan agreements at an end.

This means that in terms of financial obligations we will be down to the bare bones, with only a small number of people on long term contracts and the rest on short term and low risk salaries. From that point of being at the bare bones we have to spend to strengthen and bring in players that are going to bring long term value to the club.

We are unique in the Championship in that in the last 2 transfer windows we have landed approximately £20 million in transfer fees, whilst spending basically nothing on fees to bring players in. I don't see why that £20 million cannot be reinvested into new players and enable us to compete in this division.

Nobody else has brought in £20 million through sales and not spent anything, so we've got a head start on all levels on other teams. You can bet that Derby, Wednesday, Brighton, Fulham, Forest and co. will be planning on having another good spend this summer regardless of what they do before then.

We've got a pot of money gathering interest because we've had to sell our best players (and write off this season in the process thanks to FFP)

We've got no 'big' earners left on the books

We've got no unwanted players on long term contracts that we will struggle to get rid of.

We've got 10+ players out of contract at the end of this season, most of which won't be kept on.

That means we've got plenty of room to manoeuvre, whilst our rivals have been spending these last 18 months and have big squads already.

We should be entitled to spend good money because we've been forced to sell our best players. If we still had big earners to offload and other problems to sort out first then fine, but we don't. We've bottomed out, the process of weeding out Kean's wasters is complete.

The only thing that will stop a good spend this summer will be Venkys keeping their chequebook hidden away, which if they want promotion and mean business they won't do.

Sheffield Wednesday don't have parachute money to prop them up and until recently were a debt ridden loss making club. All of a sudden it's commonly accepted that they are awash with money and can go out and sign top class players. I don't see why they should be allowed to spend because of their rich owner and we can't.

The millstones that dragged this club down have now gone. The fortunes wasted on clowns like Murphy, Best and Etuhu have gone. Venkys, to their credit, honoured those ludicrous contracts and paid for their mistakes by coughing up severance payments to get those wasters off the books and out of the clubs accounts. Their wages hindered this club for the last 3 years and prevented us from spending then. Now its a different story.

The departure of Jordan Rhodes, combined with summer departures of Leon Best and Paul Robinson, now brings our wage bill down another huge notch (about £100,000 a week or more). Come the summer time we have another 10 players out of contract, along with 3-4 loan agreements at an end.

This means that in terms of financial obligations we will be down to the bare bones, with only a small number of people on long term contracts and the rest on short term and low risk salaries. From that point of being at the bare bones we have to spend to strengthen and bring in players that are going to bring long term value to the club.

We are unique in the Championship in that in the last 2 transfer windows we have landed approximately £20 million in transfer fees, whilst spending basically nothing on fees to bring players in. I don't see why that £20 million cannot be reinvested into new players and enable us to compete in this division.

Nobody else has brought in £20 million through sales and not spent anything, so we've got a head start on all levels on other teams. You can bet that Derby, Wednesday, Brighton, Fulham, Forest and co. will be planning on having another good spend this summer regardless of what they do before then.

We've got a pot of money gathering interest because we've had to sell our best players (and write off this season in the process thanks to FFP)

We've got no unwanted players on long term contracts that we will struggle to get rid of.

We've got 10+ players out of contract at the end of this season, most of which won't be kept on.

That means we've got plenty of room to manoeuvre, whilst our rivals have been spending these last 18 months and have big squads already.

We should be entitled to spend good money because we've been forced to sell our best players. If we still had big earners to offload and other problems to sort out first then fine, but we don't. We've bottomed out, the process of weeding out Kean's wasters is complete.

The only thing that will stop a good spend this summer will be Venkys keeping their chequebook hidden away, which if they want promotion and mean business they won't do.

Could you hazard a guess what the total turnover for the club will be next season?

We need a new left back in the summer but lets not move Conway there.

Don't speak too soon. Spurr has had a couple of good games recently. The position is there for the taking and I think we may see a much better Tommy Spurr from here in.

Don't speak too soon. Spurr has had a couple of good games recently. The position is there for the taking and I think we may see a much better Tommy Spurr from here in.

Spurr could get injured, or go back to being rubbish - theres no way we should gamble on him being good.

We need someome in as backup.

Edit - no way Conway should play at full back either. He is incredibly one footed. You need a full back who can use his outside foot...

Jones has that hardworking hate to lose mentality we need in centre mid. We need leadership and experience there. If we could work out a deal where signs but only gets paid when available for selection then that would be a good option. After all, he needs to serve his ban somewhere so it would work out for both parties.

Fitness levels are said to be very high in the MLS.

Fitness levels may be high in terms of within that competition but its played at a much lower intensity that the Championship, often on pristine pitches that are expansive. Being fit for that is totally different IMO to playing Saturday, Tuesday for the next few months on wet, heavy pitches with little time on the ball or space to to operate without being challenged. I just have visions of him chasing shadows hacking people like he did in his initial games in his first spell.

If he was a free agent coming to earn a contract with a view to next season and he would fit in our wage budget then yes it's a no brainer I suppose. He was on 90k pwk previously and the MSL are huge payers as well I think so I wouldn't gamble any big doh on it just to see out the season in midtable.

A 12 month loan on 15 grand a week would be nice though :)

15K a week!! Isn't Gomez on 9K? (Sunderland paying half?) If that is correct then 9K should be our maximum unless they are exceptional (e.g. current prem player).

We need to learn the lessons of the past and cut our cloth accordingly!

. We've a pot of gold gathering interest,I don't think so,think last time I looked we were 100 mil in debt,got a bit back in sales but still losing money every month,not saying they won't put money in for transfers,but we certainly haven't got a pot of gold..

Archived